WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Woot Cellars Help Yourself Cab Sauvignon (6)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 43.119s
First Sucker:
rjquillin
Last Wooter to Woot:
karthikbhandari
Last Purchase:
5 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 25% of Wine Woots
Top 10% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 8% of Wine Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 1% first woot
  • 1% second woot
  • 7% < 10 woots
  • 6% < 25 woots
  • 84% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 2% one year old
  • 98% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 79% bought 1
  • 18% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
1%
0%
0%
0%
2%
3%
5%
10%
7%
6%
5%
6%
4%
3%
4%
10%
5%
5%
3%
6%
2%
2%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 2428 Private Messages Cesare

Woot Cellars 'Help Yourself' Cabernet Sauvignon 6-Pack
Sold by: Broken Earth Winery
$59.99
2012 Woot Cellars Help Yourself Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

Wow they really hit it out of the park with this one! Really nice medium bodied fruity cab that is ready to drink.
Had this over the last two nights. On Monday with grilled salmon which worked surprisingly well. (Would normally have a pinot or zin)
Right away it was very approachable, floral and fruity nose with no hint of alcohol. Tastes mellow and kind of grapey but in a good way. Decent medium body with not a ton of oak or tannins but good acid and ok finish. Beautiful red color too.
Tonight had the second half with pork chops and still going strong. More integrated and flavorful, some spices and not just fruit coming through.
Really great with food and easy to drink, it was hard to not reach for another sip right away.
One of the rare woot cellars that you don't have to wait a year to open...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 182 Private Messages klezman

Didn't know what to expect with Broken Earth on the label. We've had mixed success with their offerings. 2012 Cabernet - nice that it's a little older than many other Woot Cellars wines, so hopefully it won't need 5+ years to approach drinking windows (I'm looking at you, Bonus Level).

time2testit and redhead11 helped us out on this one. They may jump in with their own notes.

PnP - aromas are mostly mint and herbs with some underlying dark red fruit. Very nice to swirl and sniff repeatedly. Surprisingly captivating, actually.

Palate is soft and lush, except for the finish that has a bit of tannin. Acidity is just barely there for my tastes, but it's still enough. Flavours are juicy red and purple fruits, some leather here and there, and some herbs. A little something bitter on the finish as well. Finish is smoky and medium length. Very easy to drink, perhaps a little too easy. 14.1% alcohol.

1 hour of air, and not a whole lot has changed. This bottle is vanishing too quickly to evaluate over multiple nights or pair with a bunch of foods. That should tell you something. Cesare is absolutely right...you do not need to sit on this for a year or more before opening. It's good today.

If we wanted a bunch of $10 daily drinkers we'd be in for a case, easy. Given our overflow situation (and that the label isn't a "must have" from our perspective) we're going to think on it.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

WillyP1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WillyP1

I bought a case

I do have to say though I received my case of Broken Earth Rhone blend today , thanks .

This is the 2nd time consecutively that I received no email notice for my incoming purchase . Fix this please .

Tunes4u

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tunes4u

Sure wish Wyoming was on the list...I’d be in for at least two....it’s
frustrating.

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking wine: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

cortot20

quality posts: 306 Private Messages cortot20

We got to try this bottle tonight. It will be my first bottle from Broken Earth despite seeing several offers here over the last year and seeing some other wines of theirs at discount retailers.

I opened the bottle when I got home from work today and gave it 5-10 minutes of air. It was in the kitchen which was a bit warm as the oven had been on so I put the bottle briefly in the fridge to chill down slightly.

alcohol 14.1%
Color is a medium red, (maybe a little light for a cab.)
Wine is clear and free of sediment

The nose fairly strong with some sweet fruit initially then a bell pepper streak running through it initially and then raspberry some currant. It came across slightly dusty as well.

Sipping it it doesn't come across as completely dry, medium bodied with some acidity, not mouth watering. No noticeable tannins or oak. Primary note is sweet plum, black currant and raspberry with a little bell pepper.

If this was handed to me blind, I would have guessed commercial zin from paso or lodi.

The wine seemed a bit disjointed for about the first hour I sipped it, it came across as a bit tart with some sweetness and more pepper than I like. My wife didn't finish her glass and didn't enjoy it. I dropped the wine off at Kyles after another hour and then came back to my remaining glass while working this evening. I enjoyed the second glass a bit more. Things seemed to smooth out a bit, I didn't notice the things I didn't like about the wine earlier and the fruit seemed more expressive. Maybe this just needed 2-3 hours of air for it to come around.

PNP its a pass, with a bit of air I enjoyed it well enough. As an instantly enjoyable crowd pleaser it didn't pass my house test of "will my wife finish a glass of it".

CT

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord

I haven't bought in awhile so in for a case. Hope it's good

377 bottles from Wine.woot
18 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

sosptuba

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sosptuba

BLAST!! No Wisconsin on the list

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152
Cesare wrote:

Wow they really hit it out of the park with this one! (...)

Any thoughts on how this stacks up against the Broken Earth reserve Cab you tasted in May?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 70 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:

Do you have some fundamental opposition to using the current Grape Debater logo?

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Cesare

kevo152 wrote:Any thoughts on how this stacks up against the Broken Earth reserve Cab you tasted in May?

That was excellent, more complex and interesting. But it was also a 2010 and double the price.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

bolligra

quality posts: 44 Private Messages bolligra
Tunes4u wrote:Sure wish Wyoming was on the list...I’d be in for at least two....it’s
frustrating.

PM for you.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

garbutts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garbutts

Noticed the comment regarding no email notice.
I recently had the same problem with my Maryhill order. I always pick up my orders at a FedEx facility, but have to receive a notice to change delivery instructions.

jenludwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenludwig

Hoping the ships to SC is correct, I can buy so rarely lately in for 3! I was able to get yesterdays offer too (and did).

gtcharlie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gtcharlie
garbutts wrote:Noticed the comment regarding no email notice.
I recently had the same problem with my Maryhill order. I always pick up my orders at a FedEx facility, but have to receive a notice to change delivery instructions.

Interesting. I do the hold at a facility thing pretty often as well and did get an email for the Maryhill offering. Strange that it is not universal. Possible that it went into your junk folder? I know it shouldn't but...

burnet11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burnet11

I would be in for 2 if there was shipping to Michigan.

Jamessir

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jamessir

In for a case. If nothing else, it'll be a fun wine to take to parties. If I ever get invited to one.

I'm so easy a caveman could do me!

woottoady

quality posts: 51 Private Messages woottoady

My order went through!

And I was near certain "SC" in the ship to states was a typo.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 267 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Do you have some fundamental opposition to using the current Grape Debater logo?

Roots, my man. Roots.

Cortot dropped this off at my door last night after he put his kids down while mine were reading books before bed.

So it was opened for three hours (or so) when I tasted it.

My review: if you like fruit-forward CS, you need some drinking wine, buy this.

Good value at the price. As others have mentioned, there are def. some CS elements here (bell pepper or herbs, leather, maybe tobacco) and some big fruit. Super mild acid/tannin. No oak pushing through.

At $11 shipped, I'm not sure anyone would be disappointed.

That said, I'm not buying any as I'm not a big CS drinker and I don't particularly enjoy CS from Paso.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:Do you have some fundamental opposition to using the current Grape Debater logo?

Fundamental? No. I do like the old one better, but I also remember the tag for it more easily
So laziness ftw.

time2testit

quality posts: 18 Private Messages time2testit

Does it count as jumping in if I say ditto? Cliff notes version: Nice enough smell (but we focused more on taste). Enjoyed the taste, as it didn't have heavy tannins and had some fruit to it. Didn't get so much of the bell pepper as some have posted (which is a good thing to me) but did get something that I guess could be leather. Not a long finish, but enough to continue to enjoy the taste and go back for a little more. Overall, good QPR. On the fence here since we have a lot of CS (hello Peter Wellington), but don't seem to drink it all that much. (Also, didn't love the label on this. We miss the labels like D'ontspille Le Black) It's Woot Cellars, so will likely get a set.

klezman wrote:

time2testit and redhead11 helped us out on this one. They may jump in with their own notes.

cjaywoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjaywoot

So my wife likes her Cabs to be like "potting soil". I don't even drink, so I'm not great at decrypting the reviews. Sounds though, like this would not be in her wheelhouse?

Thoughts?

Drez143

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Drez143
time2testit wrote:(Also, didn't love the label on this. We miss the labels like D'ontspille Le Black) It's Woot Cellars, so will likely get a set.

I showed my wife the label, and we thought the exact opposite. She wants me to order a bunch just because of the label.

I take it you are not a fan of Dale Carnegie? We both read How to Win Friends and Influence People.

kylemittskus

cjaywoot wrote:So my wife likes her Cabs to be like "potting soil". I don't even drink, so I'm not great at decrypting the reviews. Sounds though, like this would not be in her wheelhouse?

Thoughts?

I would say this is not what she's looking for. This is made in a more fruit-forward style rather than an "old world"-styled CS.

thormrk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thormrk

Fruit forward like Monkey Prize??

time2testit

Drez143 wrote:I showed my wife the label, and we thought the exact opposite. She wants me to order a bunch just because of the label.

I take it you are not a fan of Dale Carnegie? We both read How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Fan of Dale, but not so much this label. I figure that "fun" labels tend to have varying opinions anyway. Perhaps a different label would win more friends and influence more people? ;)

Either way, like I said, we tend to always go in for at least 1 set of any Woot Cellars (it's our own way of winning friends and influencing the wine collection) and this is a good QPR (as usual), so we will likely go in for 1.

kylemittskus

thormrk wrote:Fruit forward like Monkey Prize??

I didn't have Monkey Prize 1. This is more fruit-driven than MP2 when I sampled that right after release.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 328 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

What a fun day today. Knew there'd be disparate views. Good pedigree and ready to drink. I get a kick out of the label, but consider the source.

Love the lab rat sightings!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 29 Private Messages mommadeb1

In for 2...1 for me and 1 for my friend I enable

It is a woot cellar wine.. so it is a must buy.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 240 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Fundamental? No. I do like the old one better, but I also remember the tag for it more easily
So laziness ftw.

I was thinking it might be you remember it better.

But the new one is one letter less! A true lazy person would use it instead!

And the bottle label is still far better than the Revelry label!

x20                    
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 290 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:I was thinking it might be you remember it better.

But the new one is one letter less! A true lazy person would use it instead!

And the bottle label is still far better than the Revelry label!

I'm with you on the Revelry label although I liked the copy, just not the graphics.
Too bad we couldn't have had a shirt.woot style Derby to select the label.

time2testit

chipgreen wrote:I'm with you on the Revelry label although I liked the copy, just not the graphics.
Too bad we couldn't have had a shirt.woot style Derby to select the label.

That would have been fun (or even a vote by everyone involved in the Revelry blend). Regardless, I wasn't a big fan of the Revelry label (although obviously a big fan of how that wine came to be), but I think it has grown on me and I like it better than this label. I don't remember the copy on that one (and the Cellar Tracker photo only shows the front label).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand:

Woot Cellars Help Yourself Cab Sauvignon (6)
Speed to first woot: 0m 43.119s
First sucker: rjquillin
Last wooter to woot: time2testit
Last purchase: a few seconds ago

klezman

Solved my problem...in for a set for the office for happy hours!

twich22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages twich22

Just opened a bottle and im upset I only ordered 1 set. This is a wonderful drinking wine at a great price. I just hope It shows up again and I can buy some more.