Cesare

quality posts: 2428 Private Messages Cesare

Kunde Sonoma Valley Chardonnay 6-Pack
$69.99 $132.00 47% off List Price
2015 Kunde Family Winery Chardonnay, Sonoma Valley

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 296 Private Messages rjquillin

It has been a long time since we saw Kunde.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 240 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

A Woot! Flying Monkey dropped off a sample bottle received, complete with WW Golden Ticket!

2015 Kunde Estate Sonoma Valley Chardonnay

I like both types of Chardonnay, Unoaked and Oaked (whether light oak or chewing on furniture style), so looked forward to tasting this wine.

Tasted this tonight with zTimothyBz and his SWMBO, then used my Vineyard Fresh Wine Preserver (off WW of course!) to save the remainder for tomorrow night. Also tasted with Hook & Ladder's 2015 RRV Chardonnay to compare.

Chilled both down to appropriate temp for Chardonnay, around 50°. First glass out of bottle was good and 2nd glass about 60 minutes later was excellent. zTimothyBz's SWMBO got a tip of the tongue feel similar to a sparkling wine, while zTBz thought it was more like a peppery one. H&L had more oak to it, but it opened after a while.

No cork, bottle has screwtop.

Color: Nice golden straw color. 4 out of 5

Nose: Hint as they said of Tangerine and a slight hint of vanilla . 13 out of 15

Taste: Fruit was still very evident, with a nice balance of acidity. Medium body with creaminess. Not oaky. 17 out of 20

Finish: Nice long finish. 8 out of 10

Overall rating is 92 out of 100

Overall Thoughts: This is a nice every day drinker, especially around $11.66 a bottle before tax. I liked this wine, but love the Iron Horse Chardonnay.

In for 2 sets!

x20                    
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 182 Private Messages klezman

A bottle of this showed up on Thursday. Immediately into the fridge it went. This afternoon we unscrewed the cap for sampling.

Initially at fridge temperature, pop and pour, the only thing either of us could get on the nose was lemon. No problem - recently arrived, needs air, and too cold. Palate was rich in the texture department with flavours of vanilla and lemon curd. Finish was medium, but consisted mostly of an acidic mineral buzz.

With some air in the glass, along with warming up to room temperature, it didn't change a whole lot. The palate and aromas were basically identical, and predominantly lemon curd. Finish became warm toasty oak, at what I would call a nice moderate level. Adds complexity without being overwhelming - all but the most oak sensitive palates would find it inoffensive at worst. No buttery flavours or aromas from any ML. (Since I took notes before the sale went live, I didn't know if the wine actually underwent ML.)

For the second pour, we decided something a little more forceful was needed. Enter the Vinturi. Bottom line: it helped. It made the palate feel more rich while introducing some grassy and herbal notes. The nose gained some limestone and seashell components as well. (I've never used seashell as a descriptor before...but this struck me as the time to do it.) The finish evolved to include some tropical fruit, which I think most closely resembled mango. Again, it needed to warm up a bit from fridge temp for this to come out.

I found this to be a solid quaffing wine that should play well with a variety of food. It's not a super complex bottle, but it's also not pretending to be. The winemaking choices here seem to strive for middle of the road, and that's exactly what ended up in the bottle. Nice fruit, structure, oak, finish, etc. The only thing that let me down was the nose, which may re-emerge with air or more time in bottle. At $12/bottle the pricing is certainly solid.

Just don't drink this at fridge temperatures. Let it warm up a bit and you will be rewarded.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All the news for the week of October 8!

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

November
11/4: SoCal #47: Odds and Ends
11/11:
NoVA/DC Special Event: Happy 10th Anniversary Wine Woot Get-Togethers!

January 2018
1/13 or 1/20: Buffalo/WNY #15: NOTL Ice Wine Festival 2018

July 2018
Mid-July:2018 RPM Tour Planning

Pending
TBD: NoVA/DC Mystery Case
TBD: Multiple NYC Threads

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

x20                    
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

michaelvella

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaelvella
rjquillin wrote:It has been a long time since we saw Kunde.

Indeed. My first wine woot was 2008 Kunde Viognier in 2010 and a year later I got some Kunde chard.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 38 Private Messages woopdedoo

Rolling out the big guns for rattage today. Thanks to the rats and their co-conspirators for their work!

woopdedoo

BTW - any update on how our winery friends are faring with the fires?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 328 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

woopdedoo wrote:BTW - any update on how our winery friends are faring with the fires?

Thanks for asking. Our home is safe for now. It's hitting very close to home. Many evacuations. Many homes, wineries, hospitals burning. I'm very worried about Gundlach Bundschu and in fact Kunde among others.

Crazy time.

KasMarsh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KasMarsh

Glad to see Kunde again. Thanks to the rats for their great write-ups. Given the oak, I'm passing on this one.

woopdedoo

Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks for asking. Our home is safe for now. It's hitting very close to home. Many evacuations. Many homes, wineries, hospitals burning. I'm very worried about Gundlach Bundschu and in fact Kunde among others.

Crazy time.

Let us know if there is a tangible way for this community to help out. Keep safe.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 70 Private Messages ddeuddeg
woopdedoo wrote:Let us know if there is a tangible way for this community to help out. Keep safe.

+1

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

quality posts: 83 Private Messages tytiger58

Just read a report that Kunde winery is burning?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

glynis37

quality posts: 13 Private Messages glynis37

MarkDaSpark

KasMarsh wrote:Glad to see Kunde again. Thanks to the rats for their great write-ups. Given the oak, I'm passing on this one.

There really wasn't a lot of oak. It wasn't buttery or furniture chewing.

x20                    

ltraffis

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ltraffis
woopdedoo wrote:Let us know if there is a tangible way for this community to help out. Keep safe.

+2

Thoughts and prayers to all in the line of the current CA Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, and other counties!!!

wkdpanda

quality posts: 15 Private Messages wkdpanda

I'm glad we got the word through Woop about WD and Family, but that whole area is being devastated. Kosta Brown evaced, Ch. St. Jean gone, Kunde themselves haven't lost buildings, but they are on the edge. It doesn't look good.

Prayers for all of them out there.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:There really wasn't a lot of oak. It wasn't buttery or furniture chewing.

Agreed. Then again, it's present and clearly so. If you can't stand even a hint, then this wine is not for you. For me the oak was about right.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 15 Private Messages wkdpanda
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/napa-and-sonoma-wildfires-destroy-wineries-bars-and-hotels-force-wine-country-wide-evacuations/

Quote from Jeff Kunde that the fires are around them, but that the actual Kunde buildings were still ok.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ERMD

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ERMD

Prayers for those in the fires way.
Last Wooter to Woot:
ERMD

jaimelobo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaimelobo

"... The person you've been seeking for your whole life. Your soulmate ... "Can I get you anything?" you ask. "I'll have a glass of Chardonnay,"

For me that would be the point that I realized that she wasn't my soulmate. :o)

cortot20

quality posts: 306 Private Messages cortot20

Thanks for the notes guys.
We had a wonderful time at our stop at Kunde 6-7 years ago. Really enjoyed the wines, property and people of kunde.

And prayers to all those impacted by the fires right now.

CT

klezman

We had a bit of this left over last night, so into our glasses it goes!

This has opened up significantly, even at fridge temperature. The oak is more delineated, the vanilla is more pronounced, and overall it continues to seem a bit more rich.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:We had a bit of this left over last night, so into our glasses it goes!

This has opened up significantly, even at fridge temperature. The oak is more delineated, the vanilla is more pronounced, and overall it continues to seem a bit more rich.

Ditto!

x20