Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pedroncelli Special Selection Red Blend (6)

Speed to First Woot:
4m 27.113s
First Sucker:
jonrupert
Last Wooter to Woot:
norefills
Last Purchase:
9 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 31% of Wine Woots
Top 11% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 13% of Wine Woots
Top 5% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 1% first woot
  • 1% second woot
  • 8% < 10 woots
  • 13% < 25 woots
  • 77% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 4% one year old
  • 95% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 79% bought 1
  • 19% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

1%
0%
1%
1%
0%
1%
2%
2%
5%
4%
6%
2%
4%
7%
4%
17%
8%
10%
8%
5%
4%
3%
2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 2428 Private Messages Cesare

Pedroncelli Special Selection Red Blend 6-Pack
$74.99 $138.00 46% off List Price
2014 Pedroncelli Special Selection Red Wine Blend, Dry Creek Valley

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

programmerwino

quality posts: 3 Private Messages programmerwino

As usual, I'm confused: the label shown says "Special Selection", but the description refers to "Barrel Select"; the label shown in the Aug 15, 2017 mixed six page shows a 2014 red blend with "Barrel Select" on the label. The 8/15 description has a paragraph headed "Special Selection Red Wine Blend", but still has mention of "Barrel Select". (And the wine I received from the 8/15 offering had a label with "Special Selection" on it.)

Are there really two 2014 red blends, or is this the same as the red blend in the 8/15 offering?

kdloeffler

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdloeffler

Generally I'm in for 3 on Pedroncelli...they are our house wine...pretty much daily drinkers. This one though stumps me. Could really use some notes from Pedroncelli or one of our golden ticket winners who may have gotten a preview of this.

p2002

quality posts: 9 Private Messages p2002
kdloeffler wrote:Generally I'm in for 3 on Pedroncelli...they are our house wine...pretty much daily drinkers. This one though stumps me. Could really use some notes from Pedroncelli or one of our golden ticket winners who may have gotten a preview of this.

I am surprised at the lack of information too. I expected the board to have been lit up this morning.
Space and coin will keep me out, but I do like to know what I am missing out on.

DebRVA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DebRVA

Anyone have an idea of the drinking window? I'm wondering whether this one needs to age a bit.

wnance

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wnance

Golden Ticket report:

I was quite pleased to receive a bottle of 2014 Pedroncelli Special Selection Red Blend a few days ago from my favorite FedEx guy. He was surprised at the small, light package. I told him not to get used to it...

Full disclosure: I am a big fan of Pedroncelli. My wife and I have consumed cases of their wine over the years, visited the winery, opened a magnum of 1995 Cab for my daughter's 21st birthday a couple years ago, etc. I have purchased the 2013 version of this wine, so was familiar with the blend.

First off, it is labelled differently now- used to be "barrel select" on the label, now it's "special selection." It seems to be the exact same wine renamed for the new vintage.

On pop and pour it's a typically tight Ped red, but a little more immediately inviting than a cab or zin. Fairly fruit forward on the nose and palate. The tasting notes on the bottle and the description are pretty accurate to what I tasted- red fruits, spice on the nose, cherry and plum with more spice on the palate.

Enjoyable by itself, pairs well with food (roast dinner) and slowly improved, opening up over several hours. I'd say that this is more approachable in youth than other Ped reds, but carries the usual Ped structure and longevity. Many wines in this price range will totally fall apart after being open and exposed to oxygen for a few hours. This one had a long way to go, and I saved half the bottle for tonight.

I prefer Ped zin, cab, Merlot, and sangio to this blend, but not by a wide margin. This is a perfect weekday wine, and should pair as well with pizza as the roast I enjoyed, because the blend makes it really flexible.

Highly recommended, especially for such a low price.

rpm

quality posts: 214 Private Messages rpm

An autobuy, of course. Can't pass on Ped....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kdloeffler

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdloeffler
wnance wrote:

Golden Ticket report:

I was quite pleased to receive a bottle of 2014 Pedroncelli Special Selection Red Blend a few days ago from my favorite FedEx guy. He was surprised at the small, light package. I told him not to get used to it...

Full disclosure: I am a big fan of Pedroncelli. My wife and I have consumed cases of their wine over the years, visited the winery, opened a magnum of 1995 Cab for my daughter's 21st birthday a couple years ago, etc. I have purchased the 2013 version of this wine, so was familiar with the blend.

First off, it is labelled differently now- used to be "barrel select" on the label, now it's "special selection." It seems to be the exact same wine renamed for the new vintage.

On pop and pour it's a typically tight Ped red, but a little more immediately inviting than a cab or zin. Fairly fruit forward on the nose and palate. The tasting notes on the bottle and the description are pretty accurate to what I tasted- red fruits, spice on the nose, cherry and plum with more spice on the palate.

Enjoyable by itself, pairs well with food (roast dinner) and slowly improved, opening up over several hours. I'd say that this is more approachable in youth than other Ped reds, but carries the usual Ped structure and longevity. Many wines in this price range will totally fall apart after being open and exposed to oxygen for a few hours. This one had a long way to go, and I saved half the bottle for tonight.

I prefer Ped zin, cab, Merlot, and sangio to this blend, but not by a wide margin. This is a perfect weekday wine, and should pair as well with pizza as the roast I enjoyed, because the blend makes it really flexible.

The Committee Approves of your Report. In for Three.

roncunningham01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roncunningham01

Last Wooter to Woot:
roncunningham01

Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

Ped = auto-buy

Winedavid39

quality posts: 330 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

wnance wrote:

Golden Ticket report:

Quality!

DocHolliday22x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DocHolliday22x

Disappointed Missouri isn't on the shipping list. I have bought tons of Pedroncelli wine the last few years with no problem. Last two attempts has been a no go. Was super excited for this one. Unfortunate to say the least.

wnance

wnance wrote:

Golden Ticket report:

Update: just had a glass with roast chicken for lunch. Even better than last night- more open on the nose and palate, still good tannin structure and acidity. I'd love to try ones of these in 5 and 10 years, bet it would be great, but any bottles I buy will never make it that long unless I lose them...

samgamgee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samgamgee

So, Woot says that this wine CAN be shipped to Massachuetts, but then when I purchase, Amazon says that it CANNOT be shipped to Massachusetts.

So, what's the deal, Woot/Amazon? Can I get this shipped to a MA address or what?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 70 Private Messages ddeuddeg
DocHolliday22x wrote:Disappointed Missouri isn't on the shipping list. I have bought tons of Pedroncelli wine the last few years with no problem. Last two attempts has been a no go. Was super excited for this one. Unfortunate to say the least.

The list appears to contain Missouri. Have you tried a purchase and found out it wouldn't go through, as happened with the one from Massachusetts?
Also, Pedroncelli has in the past shown willingness to work directly with people who can't make the purchase through w.w, provided they have a license for your state. Keep your eyes open for such an offer on this page later in the day, or contact the winery.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

PedroncelliFamily

quality posts: 85 Private Messages PedroncelliFamily
programmerwino wrote:As usual, I'm confused: the label shown says "Special Selection", but the description refers to "Barrel Select"; the label shown in the Aug 15, 2017 mixed six page shows a 2014 red blend with "Barrel Select" on the label. The 8/15 description has a paragraph headed "Special Selection Red Wine Blend", but still has mention of "Barrel Select". (And the wine I received from the 8/15 offering had a label with "Special Selection" on it.)

Are there really two 2014 red blends, or is this the same as the red blend in the 8/15 offering?

This is the same as the 8/15 offering.

PedroncelliFamily

kdloeffler wrote:Generally I'm in for 3 on Pedroncelli...they are our house wine...pretty much daily drinkers. This one though stumps me. Could really use some notes from Pedroncelli or one of our golden ticket winners who may have gotten a preview of this.

What's your question? I'll try to help!

PedroncelliFamily

DebRVA wrote:Anyone have an idea of the drinking window? I'm wondering whether this one needs to age a bit.

As I've said before, this is a matter of preference. Of all of our wines, this is probably the "earliest" drinker of them all. With the base of Merlot, (a little over 1/3) it just slips right down!
But remember, we aren't making tuti-fruiti wines. The nice acidity, the balance and just-right amount of tannin make these wines just a tad bit tighter early on.
This wine has been in the bottle for about a year. That will have helped round it out.
Horizon? Now through 2020? It's not really intended to age for a long time, but we have a few wooters out there with tender tongues. They'll want to lay it down for another year or two before they start (wimps!) :-)

PedroncelliFamily

wnance wrote:

Golden Ticket report:

You are hired! See my notes above.
And the nomenclature has bounced around a bit...we'll probably light on one of them with the next vintage!

PedroncelliFamily

DocHolliday22x wrote:Disappointed Missouri isn't on the shipping list. I have bought tons of Pedroncelli wine the last few years with no problem. Last two attempts has been a no go. Was super excited for this one. Unfortunate to say the least.

Call Jon in the office. He'll hook you up 800-836-3894

cynthylee

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cynthylee

In for two... totally out of room, but must have some Ped in the house!
Cheers!

Last wooter to woot: cynthylee

PedroncelliFamily

samgamgee wrote:So, Woot says that this wine CAN be shipped to Massachuetts, but then when I purchase, Amazon says that it CANNOT be shipped to Massachusetts.

So, what's the deal, Woot/Amazon? Can I get this shipped to a MA address or what?

Lawyer types.
Call us direct. We'll take care of you!! 800-836-3894

PedroncelliFamily

ddeuddeg wrote:The list appears to contain Missouri. Have you tried a purchase and found out it wouldn't go through, as happened with the one from Massachusetts?
Also, Pedroncelli has in the past shown willingness to work directly with people who can't make the purchase through w.w, provided they have a license for your state. Keep your eyes open for such an offer on this page later in the day, or contact the winery.

Pedroncelli is Italian for "Willingness to help"

samgamgee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samgamgee
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Lawyer types.

Achievement unlocked: Left a message for Jon.

wolverine1012

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolverine1012

I was just telling my wife today that we had too much wine on hand. I sure hope that she remembers that Ped is not just wine--it is the fruit of the gods.

PedroncelliFamily

wolverine1012 wrote:I was just telling my wife today that we had too much wine on hand. I sure hope that she remembers that Ped is not just wine--it is the fruit of the gods.

"Too much wine". I am not familiar with this concept. Can you unravel this mystery?

rjquillin

quality posts: 296 Private Messages rjquillin
PedroncelliFamily wrote:It's not really intended to age for a long time, but we have a few wooters out there with tender tongues. They'll want to lay it down for another year or two before they start (wimps!) :-)

Snarf!

CT

PedroncelliFamily

rjquillin wrote:Snarf!

Figured I'd hear from you!

rjquillin

quality posts: 296 Private Messages rjquillin
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Figured I'd hear from you!

bout time you showed up...
Yeah, been enjoying your CF lately. Along with some Four Grapes and Mother Clone, and I think a Barrel Select.
I gifted a Sangio to the FedEx girl that sees all my arrivals and she was all raves about it.

How does this one differ from the '13?

HI to all up there.

CT

PedroncelliFamily

rjquillin wrote:bout time you showed up...
Yeah, been enjoying your CF lately. Along with some Four Grapes and Mother Clone, and I think a Barrel Select.
I gifted a Sangio to the FedEx girl that sees all my arrivals and she was all raves about it.

How does this one differ from the '13?

HI to all up there.

haha. Surely you jest! I barely remember last week!
The blend changes a little year to year so you'll have a bit of variance in taste. But stylistically the wines will be very similar. '14 has produced some phenomenal wines. Good even ripening; fair crop size. It was mid-drought so the wines of that vintage really colored up very well. It will be very interesting to see what the color pigments do over the years. I won't be surprised to see a fair amount of sediment over time.
It's funny--I am so focused on the wine I have to sell now that I lose track of older vintages and what's coming down the pike.
Between the two vintages (overall), 14 is a clear favorite to me.

wnance

Decided to make it a Pedroncelli themed day, so paired a Ped Chardonnay from the most recent Woot mixed case deal with a scratch chicken pot pie for dinner tonight. Delish!

PedroncelliFamily

wnance wrote:Decided to make it a Pedroncelli themed day, so paired a Ped Chardonnay from the most recent Woot mixed case deal with a scratch chicken pot pie for dinner tonight. Delish!

Yum! We are looking forward to soup season. The mornings and evenings are starting to have that "fall chill"in the air.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 29 Private Messages mommadeb1

In for 1. But not for me this time.(sadly) My friend saw this and had me get it for her. What can I say... I am an enabler

PedroncelliFamily

mommadeb1 wrote:In for 1. But not for me this time.(sadly) My friend saw this and had me get it for her. What can I say... I am an enabler

One? Who orders just one? When you wake up and realize what you've done, give us a call. We'll see if we can hook you up. One? Hmmmm...

tytiger58

quality posts: 83 Private Messages tytiger58
mommadeb1 wrote:In for 1. But not for me this time.(sadly) My friend saw this and had me get it for her. What can I say... I am an enabler

Yeah ummm right, don't worry we won't think less of you if you buy all the wine for yourself

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

httrart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages httrart

Ok, just ordered one, though I'm not AS big a fan of "easy" drinking wines and prefer some heft, but the comment from the maker above comforted me this is not grape juice.

Last Wooter to Woot:
httrart

Now, the other thing I bought today was a Pixel XL 2.

Which will get to me first?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 29 Private Messages mommadeb1
tytiger58 wrote:Yeah ummm right, don't worry we won't think less of you if you buy all the wine for yourself

oh, don't worry.. I have no problem buying for myself.
My family says that I don't have a drinking problem, I have a wine buying problem

I am trying to behave... key word trying.

jbartus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbartus
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Lawyer types.

Offer good tomorrow? I'm assuming it's too late to call Jon and I am (as usual) late to the table on this but was all set to buy based on https://i.imgur.com/aCLHbzH.png when https://i.imgur.com/IR00Phl.png happened. :'(

knlprez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages knlprez
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Pedroncelli is Italian for "Willingness to help"

I thought it was Italian for "QPR"?

CT

jbartus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbartus

I called Pedroncelli today and spoke with Jeff about my shipping issue and he was nice enough to set me up with an order at the Woot price for a case. Great customer service if the wine is half as good as others have indicated this won't be the last time I order, you can be certain!