Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bell Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (3)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 58.119s
First Sucker:
rjquillin
Last Wooter to Woot:
kdlmk2
Last Purchase:
9 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Top 20% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 46% of Wine Woots
Top 20% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 0% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 11% < 10 woots
  • 7% < 25 woots
  • 78% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 2% one year old
  • 98% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 89% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 7% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
2%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4%
7%
7%
7%
7%
7%
2%
7%
4%
0%
9%
9%
2%
9%
4%
7%
4%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Cesare

quality posts: 2428 Private Messages Cesare

Bell Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$109.99 $198.00 44% off List Price
2014 Bell Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 182 Private Messages klezman

Ron had 6 in CT already and apparently needed 3 more
I wish I could be so spendy! We haven't tried this vintage yet, but Anthony's wines have always been excellent.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 70 Private Messages jmdavidson
klezman wrote:Ron had 6 in CT already and apparently needed 3 more
I wish I could be so spendy! We haven't tried this vintage yet, but Anthony's wines have always been excellent.

I picked up 6 last time and have no desire to open one "early." Maybe I should so I'll know if I should buy more. Anyone from the last offer open one yet? $36 for a cab from a quality producer seems like a no brainer.

rjquillin

quality posts: 296 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Ron had 6 in CT already and apparently needed 3 more

Sigh. Yeah, shoulda checked CT first; thought I had '13. Good excuse to pull a cork on a child I guess.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Sigh. Yeah, shoulda checked CT first; thought I had '13. Good excuse to pull a cork on a child I guess.

If any are in Northern Storage we can do the dastardly deed for you so that you don't need to stoop so low

woopdedoo

quality posts: 38 Private Messages woopdedoo
klezman wrote:If any are in Northern Storage we can do the dastardly deed for you so that you don't need to stoop so low

just a service you provide ...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 70 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:If any are in Northern Storage we can do the dastardly deed for you so that you don't need to stoop so low

Northern Storage is now a proper noun. Cool!

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
rjquillin wrote:Sigh. Yeah, shoulda checked CT first; thought I had '13. Good excuse to pull a cork on a child I guess.

When is the consensus drinking window for bell's cabs like these?

klezman

woopdedoo wrote:just a service you provide ...

ddeuddeg wrote:Northern Storage is now a proper noun. Cool!

Only for Ron, in both cases.
Those who've seen our pile'o'wine know what I'm talking about

rpm

quality posts: 214 Private Messages rpm
awl85 wrote:When is the consensus drinking window for bell's cabs like these?

Do not even consider opening until 10 years after vintage - i.e., in the case of this wine, December 2024 or early 2025.

No top end Cabernet should be drunk under the age of 10, and most benefit from and additional 5-10 years of bottle age, assuming reasonable storage.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 267 Private Messages kylemittskus

RPM, I remember Anthony talking about shifting styles in '12. I'm sure these will last that long, but I'm guessing they don't need the 10 years to be enjoyable.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rlmanzo

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rlmanzo

I ordered the last time this was offered and had high expectations.

I freely admit that the wine is extremely young but opened one to sample and was thoroughly disappointed. The fruit was completely overwhelmed by the oak. This was the case the second day as well.

I am hoping I opened a bad bottle as I generally put great faith in RPM's recommendations.

I find, to my palate, that when oak is that overwhelming it rarely mellows in bottle.

RPM, your thoughts?

Is it broke or just fractured?

rpm

quality posts: 214 Private Messages rpm
rlmanzo wrote:I ordered the last time this was offered and had high expectations.

I freely admit that the wine is extremely young but opened one to sample and was thoroughly disappointed. The fruit was completely overwhelmed by the oak. This was the case the second day as well.

I am hoping I opened a bad bottle as I generally put great faith in RPM's recommendations.

I find, to my palate, that when oak is that overwhelming it rarely mellows in bottle.

RPM, your thoughts?

Was it "oak" or tannin you taste as overwhelming? Big Cabs will be very tannic when young.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

rlmanzo wrote:I ordered the last time this was offered and had high expectations.

RPM, your thoughts?

Was that your CT note?
I agree that oak flavours can mellow and change over time, but rarely disappear. But as rpm notes, perhaps you just mean it's very tannic rather than a vanilla/butterscotch/toasted oak bomb?

(I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing Anthony making a wine that would be oaky in that sense.)

tytiger58

quality posts: 83 Private Messages tytiger58

I have never heard of tannin tasting like oak? astringent yes but not like oak,some people are more sensitive to oak.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:I have never heard of tannin tasting like oak? astringent yes but not like oak,some people are more sensitive to oak.

+1.

I've heard people describe a difference between oak tannin and grape tannin, but oak and tannin don't "taste" the same, IMO.

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:(I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing Anthony making a wine that would be oaky in that sense.)

Isn't this what he said he changed in '12? Someone questioned the oak treatment and conversation ensued... I'll see if can find it.

Edit: couldn't find it. Apparently, I completely made all of that up...

rlmanzo

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rlmanzo

It was definitely oak; not tannin.

A bit like taking a bite out of my deck.

The oak treatment reminded me a bit of Ribeira Del Duero or even some Aussie Shiraz.

Not what I had hoped to taste in a well-make Napa cab.

Hoping for bottle variation to explain..

Is it broke or just fractured?

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Isn't this what he said he changed in '12? Someone questioned the oak treatment and conversation ensued... I'll see if can find it.

Edit: couldn't find it. Apparently, I completely made all of that up...

iirc he said he'd changed the clonal selection to make it more inviting in its younger years, but little, if any, else had changed in his approach.

klezman

rlmanzo wrote:It was definitely oak; not tannin.

A bit like taking a bite out of my deck.

The oak treatment reminded me a bit of Ribeira Del Duero or even some Aussie Shiraz.

Not what I had hoped to taste in a well-make Napa cab.

Hoping for bottle variation to explain..

I'd certainly have the same disappointment as you did. It's also surprising with a relatively low percentage of new oak in the mix.

But at the end of the day, you taste what you taste.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 70 Private Messages jmdavidson

Would have been nice to have had some winery participation.

klezman

jmdavidson wrote:Would have been nice to have had some winery participation.

Agreed, but Anthony is likely in the middle of harvest and fermentation.

kaolis

quality posts: 71 Private Messages kaolis

RPM, your thoughts?

Limited experience with Bell. But I'll toss in my worthless 2 cents anyway. Oak can be integrated into a wine, but it can take years, 10-15-20. More, or less. So just because you find this wine "oaky" now does not figure into being a bad bottle. Patience is...can be...a virtue. (not knowing how long you figure a wine needs to mellow)

chipgreen

quality posts: 290 Private Messages chipgreen

Had a 2010 Bell Napa Cab and 2011 Bell Sonoma Cab side-by-side back in January with some friends. Both were very good in their own right, with the Sonoma Cab being more immediately approachable but the Napa Cab opened up with some air time and was preferred by most.

While the 2010 may not have shown as well as it will in 2020 and beyond, it was still quite tasty and thankfully not in a "dumb phase". No regrets here for opening it at 7 years!