WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Celebrating the Garagiste Festival in Paso Robles

A "garagiste" is the wine equivalent of a "garage band": a scrappy little upstart outfit working outside the establishment. Here are four of the small-batchers who've made "garagiste" into a full-fledged movement with its own festival which gathers 65 of these excellent, hard-to-find wineries under one roof this November in Paso Robles.

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 2150 Private Messages Cesare

Celebrating the Garagiste Festival in Paso Robles

Thomas Alexander Paso Robles Rhone Blend 3-Pack
$75.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2010 Le Tigre Rhone Blend, Paso Robles

Dubost Negrette, San Benito County 2-Pack
$59.99 $̶9̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2009 Dubost Negrette, San Benito County

Kaleidos 2006 Paso Robles/Rhone Red Blend 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶3̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 56% off List Price
2006 Morpheus GSM Blend
2006 Osiris GSM Blend

STANGER Vineyards Paso Robles Syrah Vertical 3-Pack
$84.99 $̶1̶3̶4̶.̶0̶0̶ 37% off List Price
2007 Syrah Library Reserve, Paso Robles
2006 Syrah Library Reserve, Paso Robles
2008 Syrah, Paso Robles

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus

I've never heard of Negrette. Very interesting, but I'm not buying and it isn't cheap (understandably).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

blaculadave

quality posts: 21 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

Just going to highlight the text from the bottom of the event:

Check it, cheapskates: this year's festival (November 7-10) will offer a special Wine.Woot-only discount. Enter the code winewoot when buying tickets for either the Saturday Grand Tasting or Saturday's VIP package for 15% off. Must purchase by September 27, 2013.
Garagiste Festival tickets

Also, one lucky Wooter will win a pair of tickets for the Saturday Grand Tasting for FREE (no purchase necessary). Go to the Garagiste website, sign up for the email list, and in the "Name of Winery" field enter "Woot". Just make sure to do so before midnight CST September 20th. The winner will be notified via email by September 23rd.

cortot20

quality posts: 274 Private Messages cortot20

Looks like we are getting an extra bottle on the kaleidos this time around although with the added tax and Summer shipping its a minor savings over the last time it was featured.

Want to provide tasting notes to the W.W. community? PM me for more info.

CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Friggin Neil. I am not supposed to be buying, but I'm a sucker for my Paso Robles homies.

kittykris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kittykris
blaculadave wrote:Just going to highlight the text from the bottom of the event:

Just tried entering the "winewoot"
code to check out final price for tickets & got the message "promotion has not started yet"

neilfindswine

quality posts: 174 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kittykris wrote:Just tried entering the "winewoot"
code to check out final price for tickets & got the message "promotion has not started yet"

Stand by.. addressing now..

EDIT: I'm told it's fixed.. please try now...

I report to winedavid39...

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

loveladyelectric wrote:Friggin Neil. I am not supposed to be buying, but I'm a sucker for my Paso Robles homies.

Please don't blame me for your weaknesses... ;) but yeah, I can honestly say these four producers have my attention and my respect. Bottles of all four are in my cellar, though I can rarely hang on to them for very long.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jcarlton03

Neil, maybe we can get some Opolo up here on one of these Paso offerings? I love this region, and have had very pleasant experiences with Opolo.

Just a thought/suggestion, thanks!

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Wow, cool discount. I really want to go to this event in Paso.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

curt11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages curt11

Any comments on the Kaleidos? I'm intrigued, but also get the feeling that these might be "over the hill" discounts.

kaleidos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kaleidos

Hey Woot. I found a minute amongst the hustle and bustle of harvest to hop on here to give you all a little info about the wine that we are offering.

Although these wines are what might be considered an older vintage for Paso wines they are holding up great. Due to big tannins for this vintage these wines really needed 2-3 years bottle age before I felt like they were ready to drink. This tells me that they have better aging potential than other wines that are ready to drink right off the bottling line. Parker gives the optimal drinking range for the Morpheus as 2008-2014 and the Osiris 2008-2013. Feel free to check out reviews in the News tab of my website. www.kaleidoswine.com

I just opened up a bottle of each I had sitting in my closet for the last year, so warmer than optimal storage conditions accelerating aging. The wines offered here were not stored in my closet, but in a temperature controlled warehouse, so will be younger/fresher.

'06 Osiris is showing excellent and opens up nicely after a few minutes. A bit of brickish color in the meniscus and a mild nuttiness that blows off after a few minutes to reveal a nice smoky/meaty character on the nose with some nice red and blue berry character. Finishing smooth with lingering fruit and vanilla.

'06 Morpheus is a darker, richer wine. Purple and garnet in color. After a few minutes it opens up to reveal plumb and black berry on the nose with a hint of sweet vanilla. This wine still has plenty of tannin giving it a grippy mid pallet of dark fruit and leather. Medium finish with dark fruits, vanilla, leather.

I am not sure how these wines will age in the coming 3+ years but I think it's a great deal for those who like to enjoy their wines now.

Cheers,

Steve Martell

stangerjp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stangerjp

STANGER wines are phenomenal. All the wines are 100% estate grown from the hilltop vineyards in westside Paso Robles. We are located up above L'Adventure and Booker and were a few 100 ft. up above the James Berry vineyard. we produce roughly 800 cases of red wine only. Syrah, Tempranillo, Cabernet, and Pinot.

This 3-pack is amazing!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 878 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stangerjp wrote:STANGER wines are phenomenal. All the wines are 100% estate grown from the hilltop vineyards in westside Paso Robles. We are located up above L'Adventure and Booker and were a few 100 ft. up above the James Berry vineyard. we produce roughly 800 cases of red wine only. Syrah, Tempranillo, Cabernet, and Pinot.

This 3-pack is amazing!

Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself so we know who we're talking to.

*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dougthegaragiste

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dougthegaragiste

Greetings Wooters,

Doug Minnick here, Co-Founder of The Garagiste Festival. Here's a little background on what we are doing.

As many of you already know, there is a large movement of high-quality, small-production winemakers happening in the Central Coast of California. This is the stuff we drink, many of these winemakers are our friends, and we wanted to find a way to shine a spotlight on them.

And so was born The Garagiste Festival, the third annual version of which is coming up in Paso Robles from November 7-10.

The majority of the 65 (!) wineries pouring at the Festival do not have tasting rooms, and can be pretty hard to find if you don't know where to look. That's where we come in - we make it easy to discover all of these excellent winemakers under one roof.

The winemakers themselves pour at our event, not tasting room employees (God bless tasting room employees, but they are not the winemakers) and they are happy to talk with the tasters. All the winemakers tell us this is the most knowledgable crowd they have ever poured for.

I will be back later to go into more detail on the various other aspects of the event.

We're happy to be working with Neil and Woot and hope to meet some of you in November!

Cheers!
Doug

thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom

Hello all, this is Tom from Thomas Alexander Winery.
It is always a pleasure to be a part of Woot and of course the Garagiste Festival. In fact, I probably would not be a Wooter if not for the Garagiste event. That is how I met Neil - the procurer of fine wines for Woot.
The festival is such a wonderful event for producers such as myself who would not otherwise have many opportunities to showcase their wines. With so many small, boutique, talented winemakers in one place, this is the perfect forum for me. It makes you wonder why no one had thought of it before.

At the festival I will be pouring the 2010 "Le Tigre" Rhone blend. In fact, I offered this wine a couple of months ago on Woot to celebrate it as a new release.

All the fruit comes from one single vineyard located adjacent to the famed Tablas Creek Vineyard, on the West side of Paso Robles. This a Syrah/Grenache blend that is beautifully balanced with dark berry fruit up front, a very earthy mid-palate, followed by some good tannin. It is a very appealing wine, and very delicious.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to respond.

Tom Pitchon

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good to see everyone stopping by to say 'hello' to the Wooters! Tom and Steve from Thomas Alexander and Kaleidos, respectively, have graced the halls of Woot in the past, and I'm glad to see these wines here again!

I've been trying to work with Stanger forever... I'm a big fan of their wines.. Thanks JP for stopping in.

I hope DuBost pops in too.. to talk about this rarely seen Negrette grape. Harvest is keeping folks pretty busy in Paso right about now.

And thanks to Doug and the Garagiste folks for their generous offers to the Woot community. This is a fantastic event that I recommend to anyone who can make it to Paso in November. Some awesome folks pouring some special juice.

stangerjp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stangerjp
ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself so we know who we're talking to.

hi there. my name is JP. I'm the GM/wine maker of STANGER. this is my first woot experience. thank you for the opportunity to allow me to share my wines with you wooters. not sure what you all would like me to talk about but I'd love to answer any questions that any of you have.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Well hello to all the new winery faces! While we will be unable to attend the festival in November (unless we manage to snag those free tix!), I just wanted to extend a welcome to you. Hope you enjoy your stay here, and we look forward to seeing you around here on a regular basis!

Just watch out for that WineDavid fella - he has a way of making winemakers sell wine. Which, really, can only be good for everyone...

Oh, I did have one question. Is this festival in any way related to the Garagiste wine seller site? (Not to promote another site here, just curious)

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

dougthegaragiste

Hey Wooters,

Here's a little more about what we do at the Garagiste Festival:

There are events across four days, starting with a winemaker dinner on Thursday November 7 which will feature all local farm-to-table ingredients paired with an AMAZING wine list, including hard-to-get wines from The Farm, Clos Selene (retail price $95), an already sold out Mourvedre (they saved us some) from hot new winery Paix Sur Terre, a fantastic Pinot Noir from Cutruzzola, Caliza's high-scoring white Rhone blend, and a wonderful Tempranillo from Bodegas M.

All of these wines were selected blind by a panel of experts who weren't having any fun at all during the process :-)

If you haven't heard of these wineries, well, that's the point. That's what we do. We find these excellent, off-the-beaten-path wineries and bring them to you.

More later...

Cheers!
Doug from The Garagiste Festival

dougthegaragiste

No, that other site focuses on European wines. We stick to the good 'ol US of A.

Thanks!
Doug from the Garagiste Festival

cheron98 wrote:Well hello to all the new winery faces! While we will be unable to attend the festival in November (unless we manage to snag those free tix!), I just wanted to extend a welcome to you. Hope you enjoy your stay here, and we look forward to seeing you around here on a regular basis!

Just watch out for that WineDavid fella - he has a way of making winemakers sell wine. Which, really, can only be good for everyone...

Oh, I did have one question. Is this festival in any way related to the Garagiste wine seller site? (Not to promote another site here, just curious)

novastarj

quality posts: 34 Private Messages novastarj

While I haven't been to Paso in awhile and I'm not familiar with these particular varieties, I've been to both the DuBost and Kaleidos tasting rooms in the past and both were excellent.

The Kaleidos tasting room in particular sticks out to me. It's in the same room as another winery (Changala, I believe). Changala gives chocolates with their wines, which was a nice novelty and gave them a pretty good crowd... but we were amazed the far superior Kaleidos tasting area was mostly empty!

dougthegaragiste

On Friday, November 8th we have two events (actually more like one event, since you can buy a combo ticket that gets you into both - that's the best deal).

To accomodate all of the wineries that we are finding, as well as some of our friends from Santa Barbara County we have added "The Opening Round" which will feature 16 wineries from Sonoma to Santa Barbara. Great wineries will be pouring - check our website for details: http://californiagaragistes.com/2013-wineries/

Friday Night is our popular, "Shiners, Samples, and Secrets" Winemaker Mixer, where winemakers bring the kinds of treats they usually only share with other winemakers. Barrel samples, Club-only wines, magnums, library wines, whatever. It's a great chance to hang out with the winemakers, who aren't stuck behind a table for this one.

There's more...

Doug from Garagiste

dubostwine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dubostwine

Kate, from Dubost, checking in between picks. Harvest is coming on early and fast this year and we are in a race with the brix.

We are thrilled to be involved for the first time in the Garagiste Festival and will be pouring on Friday night's event at the Atascadero Pavilion. We are a small family winery on the westside of Paso Robles. Our son, Zachary Raines, is our winemaker.

Negrette is an amazing grape to taste as a single varietal. Black skinned, often used to blend for color it has much more earth and mineral notes than high fruit. This vintage is particularly silky - "black silk stockings in a bottle". Tannins, which are normally medium in range, are soft and supple after 30 months in barrel and almost a year in bottle.

I have paired it with a dark chocolate, lavender sea salt dessert as well as BBQ'd wild boar. Rich and versatile I you probably won't have tasted anything like it. Native to the Toulouse area of France it is one of the rarest grapes grown and we are one of a handful of wineries that offer it. These grapes are from San Benito County, Hollister specifically.

Enjoy!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 23 Private Messages mommadeb1

welcome everyone!! Reading about events like this, makes me wish I lived closer so I could attend!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

FYI: I've been told that the winner has been notified via email. Don't forget that if you want to buy tickets using the WOOT discount code, you have until Friday to do so....