quality posts: 2150 Private Messages Cesare

Tasi 2009 California Merlot Case
$89.99 (Normally $216.00) 58% off List Price
2009 Tasi California Merlot
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

We tried their Chardonnay at the tasting during the RPM tour and qualified it to be a good sangria wine. At $8/ bottle shipped this is likely that at least.

The Chardonnay had very noticeable residual sugar. Could the winery tell us if this has any? There are detailed specs but that is missing.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Today's Photo is looking a little grim, I still think I know the answer to this one though.

Col. Mustard, In the Library, with the Candlestick.

kodaks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kodaks

How long does it usually take for wine orders to arrive on average?

zoeldar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages zoeldar
CowboyDann wrote:Today's Photo is looking a little grim, I still think I know the answer to this one though.

Close...right guy, right room...with the corkscrew...

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman
kodaks wrote:How long does it usually take for wine orders to arrive on average?

2-4 weeks, depending on the weather, how far you are from Sonoma, and what methods WD decides to use for this shipment (i.e. if it goes in refrigerated truck most of the way). In SoCal I've been getting things about the second or third Wednesday after ordering. They leave the warehouse Mondays.

2016: 43 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Marsanne and Rousanne
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
zoeldar wrote:Close...right guy, right room...with the corkscrew...

D'oh, it was so obvious! I don't remember that weapon in my version of clue

bsevern

quality posts: 115 Private Messages bsevern

I remember the Tasi Chardonnay at WineDavid's rat tasting.

Of the four chards we tasted that night, for me, it was the best one (the pouch one was horrible with some weird chemical taste).

That's not to say it was an awesome Chardonnay, but of those tasted that night, it was decent, albeit slightly on the sweeter side (in a non-offensive way IIRC).

If the Tasi Merlot is equal to their Chardonnay, then this is a good buy IMHO.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 218 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ (well, her car anyway!) -- No real changes from last week:

CpprCr8 wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 29th.

August
8/18: CyberPub Cellars at the Awards Dinner!
8/25: Buffalo/WNY #9: Sushi & Wootlegging
TBD: SoCal #21: RPM-style "Serious WIne Tasting"
TBD: NorCal #13: Wheelbarrow o' Wine

Pending
TBD: NorCal #12: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Edit: Oops, Austin now has a Gathering thread. Mea Culpa!!

x18
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

entraine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages entraine

Found a review: http://womclub.com/newsletters/201204/files/assets/basic-html/page5.html

95 points from the wine of the Month Club. Not too shabby.

dah7m

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
entraine wrote:Found a review: http://womclub.com/newsletters/201204/files/assets/basic-html/page5.html

95 points from the wine of the Month Club. Not too shabby.

Don't you have to kind of question the objectivity when the rater is the organization selling you the wine?

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Courtesy of CJ (well, her car anyway!) -- No real changes from last week:

Maaaaaaark, We miss you!

So join or create a WW Gathering!

iluvmyritz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iluvmyritz
CowboyDann wrote:Today's Photo is looking a little grim, I still think I know the answer to this one though.

That's funny!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 184 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Drew brought this over for me to try and I did the lab work on it as well for the specs. I liked the wine as a clean well made varietal merlot. I like wines with lower pH's that talk to you. This wine is made in more of the old world style and is a good food wine.

dianefreda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dianefreda
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Drew brought this over for me to try and I did the lab work on it as well for the specs. I liked the wine as a clean well made varietal merlot. I like wines with lower pH's that talk to you. This wine is made in more of the old world style and is a good food wine.

I was really on the fence with this one, but the budget would love a decent everyday wine- I trust you-in!!!

sdwindansea

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sdwindansea
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Drew brought this over for me to try and I did the lab work on it as well for the specs. I liked the wine as a clean well made varietal merlot. I like wines with lower pH's that talk to you. This wine is made in more of the old world style and is a good food wine.

Thanks for the comments Scott. Like the poster before me I was sitting on the fence, but now I need to make the purchase. Unlike many people, I enjoy Merlots a lot and it seems like they have some of the best QPRs of all the red varieties.

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Any RS?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ScottHarveyWines

North316 wrote:Any RS?

No, I didn't pick any up on the palate. I did not run the RS, though. The color and taste show that there was no Mega Red used in the production of this wine.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 60 Private Messages fredrinaldi

convinced me.

Last Wooter to Woot:fredrinaldi

emccarl

quality posts: 10 Private Messages emccarl
ScottHarveyWines wrote:No, I didn't pick any up on the palate. I did not run the RS, though. The color and taste show that there was no Mega Red used in the production of this wine.

Scott,

Great to see you on the posts again! Please explain what Mega Red is.
Thanks!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus
emccarl wrote:Scott,

Thanks!

I'm guessing Scott meant Mega Purple. It's grape concentrate that is added to wines to give color/flavor.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:I'm guessing Scott meant Mega Purple. It's grape concentrate that is added to wines to give color/flavor.

I googled it earlier because I had no idea what it was, but there are actually three different ones: Mega "Cherry Shade" Grape Juice Concentrate, Mega Purple Grape Juice Concentrate, Mega Red Grape Juice Concentrate

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cmaldoon

emccarl wrote:Scott,

Thanks!

Here's a great article on Mega purple and ultra red in which Scott is quoted and does a tasting for the writer and an industry group.

http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=features&content=51033

After reading this, I am thinking that this is where I get a negative character in many cheap wines that I term as "commercial wine flavor". It's a feel and a nose and a palate thing that is very unappealing and cheap in my mind. Many cheap reds have it. I'm glad to hear that this Tasi doesn't taste like it.

My Cellar

gwar28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwar28

I am in Bloomington/Normal, IL anyone want to share a case?

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
North316 wrote:I googled it earlier because I had no idea what it was, but there are actually three different ones: Mega "Cherry Shade" Grape Juice Concentrate, Mega Purple Grape Juice Concentrate, Mega Red Grape Juice Concentrate

Fruit puree is added to many drinks to (1) add flavor/color and (2) state that its naturally flavored on the label. I am guessing that a concentrate is similar to fruit puree in concept, though not in viscosity, and manufacturers add concentrate to their raw stock to produce the desired end product. Nothing wrong in the practice, but shouldn’t the label state the fact? I did not expect wine makers to follow this practice. I guess wine makers are businessmen and do what businessmen do – make a buck. Feeling underwhelmed about this.

I read the article posted by cmaldoon above, and note that additives are here to stay.

cmaldoon

hiten900 wrote:Fruit puree is added to many drinks to (1) add flavor/color and (2) state that its naturally flavored on the label. I am guessing that a concentrate is similar to fruit puree in concept, though not in viscosity, and manufacturers add concentrate to their raw stock to produce the desired end product. Nothing wrong in the practice, but shouldn’t the label state the fact? I did not expect wine makers to follow this practice. I guess wine makers are businessmen and do what businessmen do – make a buck. Feeling underwhelmed about this.

I read the article posted by cmaldoon above, and note that additives are here to stay.

Fortunately or Unfortunately depending on your angle, food labeling is governed at the federal level by the FDA while wine labeling is governed by the ATF which tends to play by very different rules. There isn't nearly as much of a push for more thorough labeling in alcohol as there is in food because the consumers are required to be adults. It's not something that everyone has to consume by nature.

My Cellar

losthighwayz

quality posts: 76 Private Messages losthighwayz

Mega Red, huh? Who would have known! I learn something new on here all the time! Is this addition why some wines literally remind me of Welch's juice, feel syrupy, etc.? I wonder if Scott regrets his posting since it has openned (it seems) a "small" can of worms?

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

Anyone know who the wineamker is? The product page indicates s/he has worked for Stags Leap, etc...curious. Also, I can see why this label has been discontinued...it is ugly! Reminds me of a wine that can be picked up at a local Big Lots! However, according to SH this is nice Merlot and I tend to trust the guy.

ram3517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ram3517

I almost always have my wine woot packages held at my local fedex store. I currently have one shipment that fedex will not transfer from the distribution center to my local store because of "a hold the shipper put on it." Has this ever happened to anyone? I contacted woot customer service, but all the representative did was reply saying they put no hold on it. Then she pasted a link to fedex tracking showing it was being held at the distribution center (not the great customer service that people usually mention). Any help or ideas on how to fix this since woot customer service will not help?

mschauber

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mschauber

I love reading these threads bc I learn something new all the time.

Anyone on NYC want to split? I'd like to have a few bottles, but 12 may be too many.

Send a PM if interested, I live in Hell's Kitchen...

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
"First get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure." Mark Twain
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Derek Bokq1
My CT
--

cmaldoon

losthighwayz wrote:Mega Red, huh? Who would have known! I learn something new on here all the time! Is this addition why some wines literally remind me of Welch's juice, feel syrupy, etc.? I wonder if Scott regrets his posting since it has openned (it seems) a "small" can of worms?

I hope he doesn't. His was a great comment in that it indicated that this is less likely to taste purely commercial than others in this price range might.

Also, the links that it has brought up indicate that he is open as having tried Mega Purple, and why from that trial he doesn't like using it. I think it's great.

Thanks Scott!

My Cellar

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:I hope he doesn't. His was a great comment in that it indicated that this is less likely to taste purely commercial than others in this price range might.

Also, the links that it has brought up indicate that he is open as having tried Mega Purple, and why from that trial he doesn't like using it. I think it's great.

Thanks Scott!

QFT.

I'm thinking "Add Mega Purple or Mega Red?" is going to be added to our list of common questions. Acid? pH? RS? Mega?

ScottHarveyWines

[quote postid="5113432" user="cmaldoon"]Here's a great article on Mega purple and ultra red in which Scott is quoted and does a tasting for the writer and an industry group.

http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=features&content=51033

This article does a wonderful job explaining it. You shold look up Dan Berger's news letter "Vintage Experiences". I think it to be the best one out there.

ScottHarveyWines

losthighwayz wrote:Mega Red, huh? Who would have known! I learn something new on here all the time! Is this addition why some wines literally remind me of Welch's juice, feel syrupy, etc.? I wonder if Scott regrets his posting since it has openned (it seems) a "small" can of worms?

It is a can of worms I want the consumer to be able to look for and understand, because it tends to produce wines that no longer have the ability to talk to you. I want people to look for wines that do talk to you like this Tasi Merlot does.

kylemittskus

ScottHarveyWines wrote:It is a can of worms I want the consumer to be able to look for and understand, because it tends to produce wines that no longer have the ability to talk to you. I want people to look for wines that do talk to you like this Tasi Merlot does.

You are the man.

losthighwayz

ScottHarveyWines wrote:It is a can of worms I want the consumer to be able to look for and understand, because it tends to produce wines that no longer have the ability to talk to you. I want people to look for wines that do talk to you like this Tasi Merlot does.

Thanks for getting back and i appreciate your honesty. Would you say the merlot in this offer expresses the terroir and has nuances that make the wine somewhat interesting? I see the alcohol percentage is low so no heat? I know u stated earlier is goes with wine but whatvabout as a sipper? Thanks again!

ScottHarveyWines

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for getting back and i appreciate your honesty. Would you say the merlot in this offer expresses the terroir and has nuances that make the wine somewhat interesting? I see the alcohol percentage is low so no heat? I know u stated earlier is goes with wine but whatvabout as a sipper? Thanks again!

It is light enough to drink a little chilled on a warm afternoon.

losthighwayz

Anyone know who the winemaker is?

nniesen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nniesen

Wow! Waxing nostalgic. It's like the Wine.Woot! from a bygone era when we could discuss and learn about wine and get feedback on the current offering from people who actually tasted it. Now it's mostly just buy, buy, buy.