Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 2215 Private Messages Cesare

Vines on the Marycrest 'Round Midnight 2007 4-Pack
$64.99 (Normally $100.00) 35% off List Price
2007 'Round Midnight Red
CT link above

Winery website

Summer shipping is in effect so don't worry about your wine.
Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

For discussion threads on the Plus Deals use the following links:
Ty Caton
Tom Eddy

™ © ®

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

GSM! GSM! GSM!

I'm interested. Plus, I'm planning on visiting Paso after the Woot tour, so I'm doubly interested.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

kylemittskus

quality posts: 250 Private Messages kylemittskus

Before anyone says anything about the screw caps... READ.

And wasn't someone just asking for a GSM blend?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

vinesonthemarycrest

quality posts: 12 Private Messages vinesonthemarycrest

Hello! Victor and Jenni from VOTM here to answer any questions you may have. 'Round Midnight is our Syrah based GSM and it is named after the classic Thelonious Monk song.

Victor & Jennifer Abascal
Vines on the Marycrest
www.vinesonthemarycrest.com

Making wine the old fashioned way since 2005.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

This is a probably a pretty good deal - IF you trust summer shipping.

I'm hoping it'll be offered again in ... say ... OCTOBER?

vinesonthemarycrest

sdbcmr wrote:This is a probably a pretty good deal - IF you trust summer shipping.

We are getting down to the bottom of the pallet on this vintage. I am not sure it is going to be around in October. Just sayin'

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

redwinefan wrote:GSM! GSM! GSM!

I'm interested. Plus, I'm planning on visiting Paso after the Woot tour, so I'm doubly interested.

We hope you'll come by the winery for a visit and to taste the whole line-up.

Vines on the Marycrest

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 903 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdbcmr wrote:This is a probably a pretty good deal - IF you trust summer shipping.

After many years of shipping wine, WD has it down to an art. There's rarely any problem but if there is, contact service@woot.com and they'll help you out.

*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cortot20

quality posts: 281 Private Messages cortot20

Is your plan to not buy anything all summer and complain about it. Just wondering so I can stop reading every time I see your name.

CT

megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

This is another one we had at the Denver Wine.Woot gathering.

It had an aggressive berry nose, and the initial taste was quite acidic.

After about 10 minutes in the glass it opened up a bit and moved into a more rounded berry taste. I got a fair bit of a lingering tannin aftertaste from it - not an unpleasant one, just a definite tannin aftertaste.

Liked it -- if I weren't already overbought from buying the Super Sonoman, I would probably buy this. Seemed like a good patio sipper.

cortot20

quality posts: 281 Private Messages cortot20

I typically prefer GSM's with a larger Grenache component. Is this full bodied like a full blown syrah? Also, how present was the alcohol? At nearly 15% it could dominate.

CT

vinesonthemarycrest

cortot20 wrote:I typically prefer GSM's with a larger Grenache component. Is this full bodied like a full blown syrah? Also, how present was the alcohol? At nearly 15% it could dominate.

This is a medium+ bodied wine that works great with food. I love to have a glass while cooking--you might, too?? Syrah does dominate, but the Grenache and Mourvedre at 20% each round out the blend--as does decanting and/or aerating. The alcohol is integrated and well-balanced by the dark fruit. This is my favorite blend.

Vines on the Marycrest

time2testit

quality posts: 15 Private Messages time2testit
kylemittskus wrote:Before anyone says anything about the screw caps... READ.

And wasn't someone just asking for a GSM blend?

Yes, I was asking about GSM, having recently attended and loved the Rhone Rangers tasting here in town. I think I liked those with more emphasis on the Grenache and even the Mourvedre than the Syrah but I may just have to try this despite my SIWBM. We really need more GSM's (and Grenache's and Mourvedre's) here!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
megward wrote:This is another one we had at the Denver Wine.Woot gathering.

It had an aggressive berry nose, and the initial taste was quite acidic.

After about 10 minutes in the glass it opened up a bit and moved into a more rounded berry taste. I got a fair bit of a lingering tannin aftertaste from it - not an unpleasant one, just a definite tannin aftertaste.

Liked it -- if I weren't already overbought from buying the Super Sonoman, I would probably buy this. Seemed like a good patio sipper.

I second this opinion. This was a wonderful wine that drinks beautifully right now. Can definitely taste the berries and tannins. A little heat at first that mellowed out in about 30 minutes or so for me. Could taste the spicy and was a little peppery.

Hubby who doesn't like wine (beer drinker) said we needed to buy this wine. So I will definitely be buying this tomorrow when I speak with him to make sure.

Glad I was able to try it since this was my first GSM ever. Now I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for GSM's.

mgberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mgberg

You had me at bacon fat.

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu
mgberg wrote:You had me at bacon fat.

Funny, I was just thinking the exact opposite. You lost me at bacon fat.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Wow! I just had some of this at a restaurant yesterday. It's a decent Rhône blend. Very dark in the glass (though the color doesn't cling as one might expect) and has that candy-coated rubber-leather nose that you'd expect from California. It's sits fat, dark, and extracted on the palate; not quite as "thick" as an Aussie, but closer to that style than to the Southern Rhône in France.

It's "food-friendly" with a decent structure (medium tannins and medium+ acidity) that made it a good accompaniment to our entrèes (braised pork shoulder with sweet corn basil grits), though it started to fade a bit toward the end of the meal. I wouldn't see it as a long-term keeper for that reason. Finish your four-pack within the year.

My friend and I are actually Old World heads, so I probably will skip this one as it's solidly New World in style. But it's a decent if not stellar New World that should have mass appeal. Get it down to cellar temperature (20 minutes in the refrigerator) and serve it with your burgers and franks off the grill. It'd be most at home there.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

This is a really good wine made by a great couple - Victor and Jenni. They are both committed to making killer wines that 'stand out' from others in Paso, and I really dig this wine. I've had it on a number of occasions, and each time I found it quite balanced with great acidity and wonderful structure. This is the type of wine that I would open and just enjoy over a 3 or 4 hour period, noting the changes that come about with more air.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 174 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

CAGrl wrote:I second this opinion. This was a wonderful wine that drinks beautifully right now. Can definitely taste the berries and tannins. A little heat at first that mellowed out in about 30 minutes or so for me. Could taste the spicy and was a little peppery.

...Well said; I dig the Rhone blends from Vines on the Marycrest... they have another GSM blend, "Heart of Glass" that you should try.

I report to winedavid39...

vinesonthemarycrest

neilfindswine wrote:...Well said; I dig the Rhone blends from Vines on the Marycrest... they have another GSM blend, "Heart of Glass" that you should try.

Yes. Heart of Glass (named for the Blondie song) is our "other" Rhone blend based in Grenache. You might see it here someday, who knows?

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

Watching the ground squirrels steal plums off our tree here in Paso Robles. Boo. Wish I had a glass of 'Round Midnight in front of me. It is a little early for wine here in CA...

Vines on the Marycrest

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Is your plan to not buy anything all summer and complain about it. Just wondering so I can stop reading every time I see your name.

I thought he said he was leaving or something because he couldn't get the right answers and the customer service sucked.

vinesonthemarycrest

I don't know what the guy in the last post was talking about, but we are ready to talk wine. Anyone game?

Vines on the Marycrest

kylemittskus

vinesonthemarycrest wrote:I don't know what the guy in the last post was talking about, but we are ready to talk wine. Anyone game?

Sorry. Internal strife. I love GSMs from Paso but I am absolutely full of Rhone at the moment. I like your blend though. We're heading to Paso Oct. 27. Maybe we'll stop by your place.

Edit: have you guys contributed wine to Coy's wine club (the Wine Wrangler)?

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

Re: Summer shipping. It was over 109° here when I received my latest Wine.Woot delivery last week. The bottles were cool(-ish) to the touch. No worries here.

Personally, I love screw caps. I currently only have vertical storage capabilities, so caps work perfectly.

GSM with such a nose? These sound like they'll really hit the spot!

time2testit

quality posts: 15 Private Messages time2testit
loreelu wrote:Funny, I was just thinking the exact opposite. You lost me at bacon fat.

Same here, but I think I may go ahead anyway since I really REALLY want more GSM blends here on Woot PLEASE! And preferably with a higher Grenache (or even Mourvedre) component than the Syrah.

parkermc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc
vinesonthemarycrest wrote:Yes. Heart of Glass (named for the Blondie song) is our "other" Rhone blend based in Grenache. You might see it here someday, who knows?

That would be great!

For now, though,...

Vines on the Marycrest 'Round Midnight
Speed to first woot: 2m 55.993s
First sucker:erick2186
Last wooter to woot:parkermc
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

vinesonthemarycrest

kylemittskus wrote:Sorry. Internal strife. I love GSMs from Paso but I am absolutely full of Rhone at the moment. I like your blend though. We're heading to Paso Oct. 27. Maybe we'll stop by your place.

Edit: have you guys contributed wine to Coy's wine club (the Wine Wrangler)?

Yes. Coy featured our 2006 Heart of Glass a couple of years ago. Come see us in October. Our new tasting room should be done by then!!

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

time2testit wrote:Same here, but I think I may go ahead anyway since I really REALLY want more GSM blends here on Woot PLEASE! And preferably with a higher Grenache (or even Mourvedre) component than the Syrah.

In the case of '07 Round Midnight, said "bacon fat" is really more a theoretical mouth feel thing than a true flavor profile thing, in my humble opinion.

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

parkermc wrote:That would be great!

For now, though,...

Vines on the Marycrest 'Round Midnight
Speed to first woot: 2m 55.993s
First sucker:erick2186
Last wooter to woot:parkermc
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

Thanks! Drink it in good health.

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

parkermc wrote:Re: Summer shipping. It was over 109° here when I received my latest Wine.Woot delivery last week. The bottles were cool(-ish) to the touch. No worries here.

Personally, I love screw caps. I currently only have vertical storage capabilities, so caps work perfectly.

GSM with such a nose? These sound like they'll really hit the spot!

Screw caps rock. This blend does, too, methinks.

Vines on the Marycrest

vinesonthemarycrest

tercerowines wrote:This is a really good wine made by a great couple - Victor and Jenni. They are both committed to making killer wines that 'stand out' from others in Paso, and I really dig this wine. I've had it on a number of occasions, and each time I found it quite balanced with great acidity and wonderful structure. This is the type of wine that I would open and just enjoy over a 3 or 4 hour period, noting the changes that come about with more air.

Cheers!

Thanks, Larry!

Vines on the Marycrest

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines
vinesonthemarycrest wrote:Screw caps rock. This blend does, too, methinks.

+1

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com