So Be It 2009 Pinot Noir 5-Pack
$67.99 $100.00 32% off List Price
2009 So Be It Pinot Noir
CT link above

™ © ®

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 2274 Private Messages Cesare

Thanks for the help everyone.
Now, who wants to fill in for me during the rpm tour (Jul 21-28) :}

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 226 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

We tasted this last Thursday, and it was a good PN. Well, to me a good PN.

cmaldoon should have more complete notes.

Edit: And again, if I had room ...

x20

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 278 Private Messages rjquillin

So the vintner voicemail states drink now, and with a pH 3.62 of can we expect this to cellar for any reasonable time at all?

Ahhh, the mystery of it all...

CT

megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

We had this at the Denver Wine.Woot gathering and to be honest, it was not my cup of tea.

Some of that is probably that PN isn't my favorite red varietal - I am more of a Merlot, Syrah, or Zin person.

The initial impression I got from it was a strong earth (dirt) nose. The initial taste was strong of cherry to me, without much of any finish to it, and it wasn't fantastic enough to rate going back to later in the evening.

I believe I commented it'd make a decent sangria, so if that's your thing, then more power to you, but of the wines we tasted that night, this one definitely was at the bottom of my personal list.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 926 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:We tasted this last Thursday, and it was a good PN. Well, to me a good PN.

Weren't you people supposed to take notes? This is all we get?

Holiday Returns Policy Check out our new FLASH DEALS
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.

I would, but I'll be there too!

x20

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Weren't you people supposed to take notes? This is all we get?

Yes.

Especially since I forgot to bring my tasting notebook with me. So instead of a handy dandy tasting note, I had to write things down. And obviously, I'm really bad at writing $%!@ down.

Edit: Besides, with only 2.63% (actually, probably less) of my cellar being PN, and that I would have bought it (if I had room), it has to be my style of PN.

x20

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:We tasted this last Thursday, and it was a good PN. Well, to me a good PN.

Notes are on my desk at work. Check back after 8PST and i'll post them.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:Happy Independence Day, everyone!!!

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 1st.

July
7/23-25: RPM's History Tour, Part 1
7/25-29: RPM's History Tour, Part 2

(Dates set. There is room on both tours for more people!)
TBD: NorCal #13: Wheelbarrow o' Wine

August
8/18: CyberPub Cellars at the Awards Dinner!
TBD: SoCal #20: Lakewood Bash

Pending
TBD: NorCal #12: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a WW Gathering!

x20

ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:Notes are on my desk at work. Check back after 8PST and i'll post them.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:Notes are on my desk at work. Check back after 8PST and i'll post them.

So Be It (somebody had to do it)

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

easleyml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easleyml

Winery founded in 2029???Hmmmmm.Back to the future it is then.

cmaldoon

ThunderThighs wrote:

I don't see YOUR notes on the wine either so I won't take any facepalms from you! ;-)

My Cellar

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Notes from the NY Tasting Courtesy of HAK:

Sour cherry candy nose (jolley rancher).
More acid than tannin (acetic on middle palate). Smokey, cherry palate. Pomegranate.

ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:I don't see YOUR notes on the wine either so I won't take any facepalms from you! ;-)

*cough* wasn't there *cough*

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

$14.60 a bottle, with shipping ... and not a single review to be found anywhere ...

I'm thinking what can I buy on sale from a local seller - where, when it turns out that shipping hasn't been kind to it, I can simply take it back in - that may measure up for, say, $14-17 or so?

Answer? Plenty, if I shop local sales. AND - I can talk with the seller, hear his impressions of the wine - that is, get a review ... and buy one or two bottles, plus one or two or three others.

This probably belongs in the "beta feedback" area, but here goes: the wine.woot model isn't working as well as it once did.

**The prices are not as impressive as they were, and do not inspire risk-taking.

**The vaunted "summer shipping" is only vaguely described, and when it fails, as a recent purchase of mine did, the vintner and woot go oddly incommunicado ... we'll see if I get wine, and what shape it's in, and when ... they said up to six weeks ... but who knows? As of now, there's no news after a couple of weeks.

** The wines, it seems, with increasing frequency are not reviewed online.

Woot.com is a buying "habit" ... I'm sure my few thousand a year is small potatoes, but I'm sliding out of the habit quickly and - I'm noting - rather painlessly. I check in less and less often and find myself buying very rarely of late.

And I don't think it's entirely about the redesign of the site. In fact, although the redesign isn't much to my liking, it's really not much of a factor at all.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
Cesare wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.

If nobody else steps up I'll give it a shot. I'm nowhere near as quick as you or mark but I'll fill in if you can't find anyone better.

Just remind me with a PM

ThunderThighs

Staff

easleyml wrote:Winery founded in 2029???Hmmmmm.Back to the future it is then.

Where do you see that? On our site?

ThunderThighs

Staff

sdbcmr wrote:snip

In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I'm going to point you to another thread that already has some good discussion on these topics.

DISCUSSION: Share your ideas and thoughts about wine.woot...

redwinefan

Is the winemaker/winery really such a secret? Looks like it is available via some googling. It also piqued my interest in this a bit.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
ThunderThighs wrote:In an effort to keep this thread on topic, I'm going to point you to another thread that already has some good discussion on these topics.

DISCUSSION: Share your ideas and thoughts about wine.woot...

okfine. My comments about this particular wine and its pricing, however, still stand.

easleyml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easleyml
ThunderThighs wrote:Where do you see that? On our site?

Yes. Under the winery info on the main page.

ThunderThighs

Staff

easleyml wrote:Yes. Under the winery info on the main page.

Bingo! Found it. Reported it. Thank you!

tenuki

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:Especially since I forgot to bring my tasting notebook with me. So instead of a handy dandy tasting note, I had to write things down. And obviously, I'm really bad at writing $%!@ down.

Edit: Besides, with only 2.63% (actually, probably less) of my cellar being PN, and that I would have bought it (if I had room), it has to be my style of PN.

Haha, I took my lead from you since I got there late and was pretty terse in my notes as well. Glad cmaldoon did the job correctly

This pinot noir had a lot more spice than I was expecting, cherry, with a little tart finish. Pretty good QPR also (what you can get at different price points seems to vary more with pinots than other varietals).

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Itwdswafo wrote:Notes from the NY Tasting Courtesy of HAK:

This is the problem with California Pinot- you usually need to spend $30+ for a good, interesting, bottle of it. One doesn't expect much from a $15 Pinot, and this one delivers ;)

In other words you're paying $15 for $15 Pinot.

To compare to two Pinots I've purchased:

From Woot:
D'ontspille
It's a toss-up, though I give a slight edge to the D'ontspille because I'm not a huge fan of the acetic nature of the So Be It. D'ontspille was <$12.

2007 Bueva Vista Ramal Vineyards
This doesn't even belong in the same category of thing as the 2007 Buena Vista Ramal. This was not available from woot, but for a few months you could pick it up for $14.99/btl with free shipping. Amazing QPR if you are ok with the screwtops they bottled it with...

tenuki wrote:
This pinot noir had a lot more spice than I was expecting, cherry, with a little tart finish.

We came to the conclusion that most of the "spice" was born of acetic acid and related compounds... It's really interesting how differently the NY crew found the wines to the NorCal crew. Unlike the CS, Pinot could have suffered some travel shock I guess...

TomRaz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TomRaz

I thought D'ontspille was awesome, but it was a one time run produced by Wellington with some excess grapes they had purchased from a nearby farmer.

I like a good Pinot and I also thought Blue Nomad was a good woot offering last year.

darlenee1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darlenee1

My notes from the New York tasting:
Nose: pronounced cherry candy.
Flavor: Tannic sour cherry pomegranate and tobacco/smoke. Violet flavor becomes pronounced when tasted with the salmon mother grilled (delicious!).

I remember this being decent, but not particularly impressive.

Be the change you want to see in the world

cmaldoon

As Promised:

2009 SoBeIt PN:

"Earthy, Typical warm-cherry nose with a touch of oak. Palate follows" I also notes that it hit a bright (acidic) note near the front end of the profile and had a decent if not long finish.

As noted previously, this is Solid at the $15 level, it's not a $40 bottle in hiding, but nor is it $8 swill masquerading as something more.

My Cellar

megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward
TomRaz wrote:I thought D'ontspille was awesome, but it was a one time run produced by Wellington with some excess grapes they had purchased from a nearby farmer.

I have, and love, D'ontspille -- and we opened that the Denver tasting and the SoBeIt just didn't hold up to it, IMO.

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

Why did I just pay $50 a bottle for $35 (old discounted price) Tytanium....

artezinwines

quality posts: 3 Private Messages artezinwines

Ok, here's the deal. This is not a wine to cellar, but the optimal "I'm gonna drink this and enjoy it to the max time" is probably a five-year horizon.

Wineries sometimes produce labels they plan to bring to market and then, for a variety of reasons (like a new program headed in a different direction) they don't. that leaves some tasty wines without a traditional home, and that's why you'll find some nifty wines like So Be It on Wine Woot. the Edna Valley component here definitely brings some spice and earthiness, which to many is a very good thing. the Sonoma fruit brings some balance and brightness to the wine.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 175 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:As Promised:

2009 SoBeIt PN:

"Earthy, Typical warm-cherry nose with a touch of oak. Palate follows" I also notes that it hit a bright (acidic) note near the front end of the profile and had a decent if not long finish.

As noted previously, this is Solid at the $15 level, it's not a $40 bottle in hiding, but nor is it $8 swill masquerading as something more.

...agreed on all fronts. I found the cherry note on the palate to be just a bit tart, but the earthiness countered it nicely. I've said it before; I'm wary of 'under-$20' pinot's. They're often tough to swallow. I put this in the 'reliable weekday/casual drinker' category, and at under $14 a bottle...

I reported to winedavid39...

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

As noted previously, this is Solid at the $15 level, it's not a $40 bottle in hiding, but nor is it $8 swill masquerading as something more.[/quote]

Remember, some of us are just now upgrading to 8 dollar swill. ;)

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:We came to the conclusion that most of the "spice" was born of acetic acid and related compounds... It's really interesting how differently the NY crew found the wines to the NorCal crew. Unlike the CS, Pinot could have suffered some travel shock I guess...

I've found PN to be more likely to experience Travel Shock than other reds.

x20

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MarkDaSpark wrote:I've found PN to be more likely to experience Travel Shock than other reds.

And I obviously concur ;)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 253 Private Messages kylemittskus
jamesozzello wrote: Remember, some of us are just now upgrading to 8 dollar swill. ;)

Feel no shame, my friend. We all started somewhere. I was drinking $6/box red-tag sale sangria 4 years ago. Now I have 300 bottles and I can't touch that $8 s*** I lived on in college.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

redwinefan

MarkDaSpark wrote:I've found PN to be more likely to experience Travel Shock than other reds.

I also have found that PN really benefits from being served at the appropriate temperature and in the appropriate stemware more than other reds do. So sometimes mass tastings are not kind to PN unless proper protocols are observed.