2007 Chalone Syrah
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Syrah = bkarlan first sucker

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus

***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Summer shipping is in effect so don't worry about your wine.

Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

Sincerely,

The Anti-Repetitive Question League

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
kylemittskus wrote:***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.

Sincerely,

Can you post this every day as the first or second post with Cesare? I am wicked tired of reading the same old stuff. Your post will hopefully make the quality post list too

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

Cesare

quality posts: 2136 Private Messages Cesare
bkarlan wrote:Can you post this every day as the first or second post with Cesare. I am wicked tired of reading the same old stuff. Your post will hopefully make the quality post list too

I can put it in the first post.
For all the "dudes" out there that don't seem to listen. Maybe it will sink in eventually.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jmdavidson

quality posts: 66 Private Messages jmdavidson
Cesare wrote:Henson Central Coast Syrah
$54.99 (Normally $90.00) 39% off List Price
2008 Estero Central Coast Syrah
2007 Paso Robles Syrah
2007 Chalone Syrah
Links coming

http://hensonwines.com
On their website, $20 for 2008 and $35 apiece for the 07's.

cortot20

quality posts: 271 Private Messages cortot20

Alcohol seems low for Paso Syrah's, I am used to seeing 15+.

And who came up with the descriptor "Distressed Leather" that's a new one to me.

These look interesting but I am fully supporting Kyle's BIWBM with my own for a awhile. Be strong brother!

Want to provide tasting notes to the W.W. community? PM me for more info.

CT

cwc22

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cwc22

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I've found Henson's picture instructions on the interwebs about how to drink wine:

richardhod

Cesare wrote:I can put it in the first post.
For all the "dudes" out there that don't seem to listen. Maybe it will sink in eventually.

Well, up to a point. The last leg of shipping, from local depot to you, is not refrigerated, and can cook your wine all day in the back of a hot lorry unless they deliver in the morning, you're actually in, and they knock loudly enough. You can also arrange to pick it up from the depot, which is likely much safer.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
Cesare wrote:I can put it in the first post.

Hadn't planned on posting anything in this thread, since it's not a wine I'm interested in and declining because of shipping uncertainty, but since y'all seem very interested in the topic, I'll go ahead and reiterate, for those of you who "just don't seem to listen":
"we got it covered, don't worry" is not information, it's not an answer.

I'll check the box temperatures when the wine arrives. If it's cool, it's cool. If it's not (and since it's in the 90's here, it probably won't be), I'll decline delivery. No problem.

Gosh. Can't figure out why you guys are so into this topic. But I want to make sure Kyle's got something to be concerned about, so I'm doing my part.

baristaboss58

quality posts: 4 Private Messages baristaboss58
cwc22 wrote:Bio article on the winemaker

I keep getting web error. Too many server redirects. Would you please post the actual web address? Maybe that will work. Much appreciated. Thanks

cortot20

quality posts: 271 Private Messages cortot20
sdbcmr wrote:Hadn't planned on posting anything in this thread, since it's not a wine I'm interested in and declining because of shipping uncertainty, but since y'all seem very interested in the topic, I'll go ahead and reiterate, for those of you who "just don't seem to listen":
"we got it covered, don't worry" is not information, it's not an answer.

I'll check the box temperatures when the wine arrives. If it's cool, it's cool. If it's not (and since it's in the 90's here, it probably won't be), I'll decline delivery. No problem.

Gosh. Can't figure out why you guys are so into this topic. But I want to make sure Kyle's got something to be concerned about, so I'm doing my part.

Since you are so concerned about the shipping perhaps you should forgo all wine purchases that require shipping from April to October and save our eyeballs. Keep this thread on topic and post this under a new thread in world of wine.woot.

Want to provide tasting notes to the W.W. community? PM me for more info.

CT

richardhod

cortot20 wrote:Since you are so concerned about the shipping perhaps you should forgo all wine purchases that require shipping from April to October and save our eyeballs. Keep this thread on topic and post this under a new thread in world of wine.woot.

Well, to be fair, its not that apparent for any newbs around, adn the new design hasn't actually included (as far as I Can yet tell) any new forum functionality so that such community knowledge can be stickied into a community faq. So, these questions will crop up, and people should be able to ask them, and find out what the issues are.. and he's right, the wine is not refrigerated from local depot, so it can come in warm.

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman
jmdavidson wrote:http://hensonwines.com
On their website, $20 for 2008 and $35 apiece for the 07's.

You're just too fast. While Cesare is out there finding/making CT links and all that jazz he has a few iterations of his post

2016: 31 bottles. Last wine.woot: Twisted Oak Spaniard
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 870 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

*cough*
Play nice
*cough

NEW New Work Schedule: work Sat, Sun, and nights Mon-Wed...off Thu & Fri
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
cortot20 wrote:Since you are so concerned about the shipping perhaps you should forgo all wine purchases that require shipping from April to October and save our eyeballs. Keep this thread on topic and post this under a new thread in world of wine.woot.

Exactly. That's what I said I was going to do in the post that originally got one or two people all wee-wee'd up about other people's bizness.

I don't find "don't worry, it's OK" to be sufficient; others do. I'm fine with that.

I will point out that woot's a buying habit, though, and it's likely I'll just be used to spending the money locally as I did for all those years before Woot. I live between two metro areas with great shops and it's easy and the sales are good, so no problem.

I'd have thought the feedback might have been interesting to woot (and I did raise the issue with them outside the forums and got pretty much the same "don't worry ... be happy" answers.) But apparently Cesar - of whose work I've been a big fan - has hopped on the snark bandwagon.

S'ok by me. But you're absolutely right: as I said in a post a while back, this is a good time for a moratorium on wine.woot. If I feel compelled to in the Fall, I may start ordering here again.

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman
sdbcmr wrote:I don't find "don't worry, it's OK" to be sufficient; others do. I'm fine with that.

Thing is, WD has been pretty clear since I joined in 2008 (which, I see, is when you joined) that summer shipping entails several measures depending on the destination. I'm not sure what more information you could want (e.g. styrofoam shippers vs the paper ones, frozen ice packs, refrigerated trucks for 90% of the journey). You can be sure WD wants to protect your wine orders - he's made logistics and shipping wine his career, and spoiled bottles cost him and the winery both some profit. He's pretty darn good at it. He knows that things will occasionally go wrong and promptly, without question, replaces any cooked bottles. So the way I see it, appropriate measures are taken to avoid problems in the first place, then when problems (inevitably) come up they are taken care of. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Now can we return to discussing this Syrah pack? I went in for too much PN/Wellington yesterday so I'm definitely sitting out for a while.

2016: 31 bottles. Last wine.woot: Twisted Oak Spaniard
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

BrendaRichardson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BrendaRichardson

~ahem~

Anyone got any comments on the actual wine itself - other than those labels are quite lovely, and might be worth the purchase just for that alone?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled bickering. :D

baristaboss58

Can anyone comment on THIS WiNE OFFERING?
Appreciate shipping concerns, but would really like opinions on this wine..
Thanks

baristaboss58

BrendaRichardson wrote:~ahem~

Anyone got any comments on the actual wine itself - other than those labels are quite lovely, and might be worth the purchase just for that alone?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled bickering. :D

well said..you just posted faster than me

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 183 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
cortot20 wrote:Alcohol seems low for Paso Syrah's, I am used to seeing 15+.

And who came up with the descriptor "Distressed Leather" that's a new one to me.

These look interesting but I am fully supporting Kyle's BIWBM with my own for a awhile. Be strong brother!

From the spec's you can see these wines were not picked over ripe and should still show varietal character. As a wine maker, the type of spec's I like to see.

slbhenery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slbhenery

Drinking windows?

baristaboss58

ScottHarveyWines wrote:From the spec's you can see these wines were not picked over ripe and should still show varietal character. As a wine maker, the type of spec's I like to see.

Thanks Mr. Harvey

Neopluto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neopluto
kylemittskus wrote:***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Sincerely,

What does summer shipping mean?? It comes with an air conditioner? lol

rynogreene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rynogreene

I know that the winemaker was a Fresno State viticulture grad. We went to high school together back in the day, and I've been meaning to try his wines for awhile. Thanks Woot!

doffer2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doffer2

What is the RS%. Is this stuff dry, semi dry, semi sweet, sweet or what??

robhenson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages robhenson

good morning, this is Robert Henson from Henson Wines. I'll make sure I check in throughout the day to answer any questions

robhenson

doffer2 wrote:What is the RS%. Is this stuff dry, semi dry, semi sweet, sweet or what??

All dry. The Estero Syrah has the most @ 0.4 g/L

robhenson

rynogreene wrote:I know that the winemaker was a Fresno State viticulture grad. We went to high school together back in the day, and I've been meaning to try his wines for awhile. Thanks Woot!

Hey Ryan, greet seeing on here. Let me know if you're ever in San Luis Obispo, I can show you around the winery.

robert@hensonwines.com

robhenson

richardhod wrote:I've found Henson's picture instructions on the interwebs about how to drink wine:

I love this. If only Jim was my uncle

baristaboss58

robhenson wrote:good morning, this is Robert Henson from Henson Wines. I'll make sure I check in throughout the day to answer any questions

Welcome Robert. Thanks for joining.
Drinking window?

robhenson

ScottHarveyWines wrote:From the spec's you can see these wines were not picked over ripe and should still show varietal character. As a wine maker, the type of spec's I like to see.

Thanks Scott. It's all in the pursuit of balance. Rob Henson

robhenson

slbhenery wrote:Drinking windows?

07 Henson Paso Robles, Luna Matta Now-2018
07 Henson Chalone, Michaud Vineyard Now-2020
08 Estero Syrah Now-2016

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi

This fellow Bulldog (Fresno State) is doing amazing work with Syrah crafting wines with great character and balance. I keep these around and open them during summer BBQs. Production levels are tiny and the wines overdeliver. The Paso has more intensity and richness -the Chalone is more claret-like and silky and the Estero has more cool-climate character and spice which is what I look for in Syrah.

winetatoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winetatoo

Robert was a classmate at Fresno State & I've had the Chalone a few times, well balanced & definitely not over ripe. Very smooth, refined tannins; I suspect the other two show the same respect for the noble Syrah

Winedavid39

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

winetatoo wrote:Robert was a classmate at Fresno State & I've had the Chalone a few times, well balanced & definitely not over ripe. Very smooth, refined tannins; I suspect the other two show the same respect for the noble Syrah

Go you Bulldogs !

baristaboss58

..and the gates opened, and the comments flowed...just like the wine...

In for one...looking forward to enjoying...thanks Robert, and everyone for your contributions :-)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 174 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Yup. Tasty Central Cali Syrah here. Robert makes wine at the same spot as Brian Terrizzi from Giornata (who popped in to say hello above...) Both of these guys are serious about winemaking.

I'm big on Syrah from this region (as many of you know) and these are solid.

I report to winedavid39...