ThunderThighs

quality posts: 874 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, deleted a few posts asking (or complaining) about various states that aren't on the ship-to list to make room for posts about the wine.

pseudogourmet98 gave the link above to the current state of things:

pseudogourmet98 wrote:There is a whole thread on this subject in the World of Woot Wine page. Chipgreen posted a succinct recap on 10/21.

*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman

OK ok...if somebody in SoCal wants to get rid of a bottle of each I'll take them. But then really...no more buying until the Corison xmas offer!

2016: 39 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Petit and Petite
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 67 Private Messages jmdavidson
NightGhost wrote:Never had a Wellington I didn't like. Autobuy.

Your previous comments and insights are missed. Glad to see you are still lurking. Be well!

mandoo500

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mandoo500
NightGhost wrote:Never had a Wellington I didn't like. Autobuy.

TANK:God-damn. It's good to hear your voice, sir

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

Since I'm on Woot, I've bought Wellington every time it's come up. This time is no exception.

Two big thumbs UP!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

pseudogourmet98 wrote:This will be the 4th case of Wellington I've wooted since becoming assimilated into the Wellington collective in May. I enjoyed the '09 Merlot (along with the CS, Zin, Syrah & Duke) from my first case but have not had an opportunity to purchase the '07 Merlot. I would very much like to try it. I know it is "winery choice", but if I buy 2 cases, will I get one with the '07 and one with the '09?

classic comments. Resistance is futile! and no, Merlot will be selected randomly. luck of the draw.

rkeats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkeats

What's up with the shipping, Ohio is not on the forbidden list of shipping, but it will not let me check out?!?!?!?

[MOD: See my post above.]

LurkerDan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LurkerDan

I don't drink much wine these days, so haven't purchased in a long time. But my shelves are bare, with holiday season coming up, and a case of Wellington for $12/bottle? No brainer.

rjquillin

quality posts: 264 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:OK ok...if somebody in SoCal wants to get rid of a bottle of each I'll take them. But then really...no more buying until the Corison xmas offer!

Don't need one of each, but I'll take any extra Meeks.

CT

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma

I've bought Wellington cases in the last couple of years and still have them in the closet. When do you guys think these are drinkable? Also, I went in for a one of these cases (+1)- what is the drinking window? Thanks!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 259 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
jchasma wrote:I've bought Wellington cases in the last couple of years and still have them in the closet. When do you guys think these are drinkable? Also, I went in for a one of these cases (+1)- what is the drinking window? Thanks!

The Sonoma Valley Zin is probably at its best right now. The others all are drinking very well now as well; you could hold them for several more years, but there's no real need to do so. The Syrah might be the most age-worthy of the four.
If you have aging questions about previous w00t offerings I'll be happy to address those also; just let me know which wine(s).

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 51 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
SonomaBouliste wrote:The Syrah might be the most age-worthy of the four.

I opened a bottle of England Crest Wellington Syrah for a family dinner several years ago and both my wife and mother in law turned their noses up at it, proclaiming that they "didn't like syrah". I opened the same vintage ('05, I think) about 6 months ago and they were both raving about how much they liked it. They were shocked when I told them it was Syrah.

So yeah, my anecdotal evidence is that Wellington Syrah is more a crowd pleaser with a few years on it. ;)

Nate650

quality posts: 34 Private Messages Nate650
SonomaBouliste wrote:I meant traditional as in old style. The only thing we've ever put on our vines is sulfur dust, which has been used for millenia to control powdery mildew on grapes.

Thanks!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages woopdedoo
woopdedoo wrote:With all the changes on the ordering system, I have a question -

How does gifting work now? Can you still send a gift and then order for yourself? I think it used to be you could order the max for yourself and max for the gift - is that still true?

It seems the gifting option is not there anymore. So I know I can order and ship to another location. But if I ship one case out, can I still place another order and ship it to me?

If I can't get both, I want to send the gift case.

TT?

noslensj

quality posts: 54 Private Messages noslensj
SonomaBouliste wrote:The Sonoma Valley Zin is probably at its best right now. The others all are drinking very well now as well; you could hold them for several more years, but there's no real need to do so. The Syrah might be the most age-worthy of the four.
If you have aging questions about previous w00t offerings I'll be happy to address those also; just let me know which wine(s).

Thanks, Peter.

I have the following children tucked away and sleeping nicely. Your recommendations as to how long I should let them slumber? Are there any that should be awakened now? What's the maximum time that you think I should give them?

• 2008 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Handal-Denier
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Karren Vineyard
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Mohrhardt Ridge
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Merlot
  • 2007 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Estate Vineyard Sonoma Valley

bflohl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bflohl
SonomaBouliste wrote: The Syrah might be the most age-worthy of the four.
(s).

Well, that's good to hear, as I was just checking my cellar list and note that among the 24 or so Wellingtons is a 2004 Syrah (and a 2003 Zin) from a 2007 woot offering.

SonomaBouliste

noslensj wrote:Thanks, Peter.

I have the following children tucked away and sleeping nicely. Your recommendations as to how long I should let them slumber? Are there any that should be awakened now? What's the maximum time that you think I should give them?

• 2008 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Handal-Denier
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Karren Vineyard
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Mohrhardt Ridge
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Merlot
  • 2007 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest
  • 2006 Wellington Vineyards Syrah Estate Vineyard Sonoma Valley

None of these are in imminent danger of going over the hill. The most age-worthy are the single vineyard Cabs, particularly the Karren. That'd be the only one I'd keep for more than 5 years. The 2006 Merlot and the 2006 Syrah are probably at their best now or over the next 2 years. Of course, your tastes (for young or old wines) is a huge factor in deciding when to drink them.

mandoo500

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mandoo500
Winedavid39 wrote:classic comments. Resistance is futile! and no, Merlot will be selected randomly. luck of the draw.

wish me luck!

Speed to first woot: 0m 42.445s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:mandoo500
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

noslensj

quality posts: 54 Private Messages noslensj
SonomaBouliste wrote:None of these are in imminent danger of going over the hill. The most age-worthy are the single vineyard Cabs, particularly the Karren. That'd be the only one I'd keep for more than 5 years. The 2006 Merlot and the 2006 Syrah are probably at their best now or over the next 2 years. Of course, your tastes (for young or old wines) is a huge factor in deciding when to drink them.

Thanks for your comments, Peter!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

woopdedoo wrote:It seems the gifting option is not there anymore. So I know I can order and ship to another location. But if I ship one case out, can I still place another order and ship it to me?

If I can't get both, I want to send the gift case.

TT?

We don't have gifting but you can put in two separate orders as long as they don't go over the limit when combined. Just use a different address for the 2nd one.

Pro Tip: Do the one you're shipping to yourself last so you're set with your address as your default again. Nothing worse than having the wrong address there for your next order.

PS: On deleting posts asking about states, I always make sure there's at least one post referring people to the info/discussion thread in World of Woot. I recognize there are people coming back that may not be aware of the changes but we also don't need multiple questions on the same topic. Deletions aren't meant to offend but to make it easier to find into about the wine.

PMing isn't really viable since many people don't check PMs. The wine community does a great job in educating each other.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:Pro Tip: Do the one you're shipping to yourself last so you're set with your address as your default again. Nothing worse than having the wrong address there for your next order.

HUGE Plus on this detail!
Nothing like having some wine ship to where you're not expecting it, and being unable to retrieve it cause it's been drunk. Well, the delivery to Sparky's locker didn't suffer that fate, but it's a fur piece away just the same.

CT

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:PMing isn't really viable since many people don't check PMs. The wine community does a great job in educating each other.

When are we going to get notifications of new PM's displayed...?

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:When are we going to get notifications of new PM's displayed...?

No word.

cortot20

quality posts: 274 Private Messages cortot20

Peter , I haven't seen this asked yet. How is 2013 shaping up? I always value your insightful thoughts on vintage in Sonoma.

Want to provide tasting notes to the W.W. community? PM me for more info.

CT

TeelaJBrown

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TeelaJBrown

The best reason to buy a case of Wellington mixed? I can start drinking the case I bought last fall!

In for one.

lugan63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lugan63

Would these vary in price per individual bottle, and if so, can anyone gplease give an estimated breakdown? I'm in for two but some of it's on behalf of others and I'm not sure what to charge them.

SonomaBouliste

lugan63 wrote:Would these vary in price per individual bottle, and if so, can anyone gplease give an estimated breakdown? I'm in for two but some of it's on behalf of others and I'm not sure what to charge them.

The retail prices are $25 for the Meeks Hilltop Ranch Zin, $20 for the Merlot, and $18 each for the Sonoma Valley Zin and the Syrah. You'll need to the math from here ;)

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:Peter , I haven't seen this asked yet. How is 2013 shaping up? I always value your insightful thoughts on vintage in Sonoma.

I'm as thrilled as every other winemaker I've spoken with recently. After two difficult, uneven vintages in 2010 and 2011, we've now had back to back vintages with both good quantity and quality. Overall, I'd give an early nod to 2013 over 2012, particularly for Cabernet sauvignon and associated varieties. Only time will tell whether 2013 will rival 2001, 2004 and 2007 as the best vintages (locally) so far of the new millennium.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages woopdedoo
ThunderThighs wrote:We don't have gifting but you can put in two separate orders as long as they don't go over the limit when combined. Just use a different address for the 2nd one.

Pro Tip: Do the one you're shipping to yourself last so you're set with your address as your default again. Nothing worse than having the wrong address there for your next order.

PMing isn't really viable since many people don't check PMs. The wine community does a great job in educating each other.

Thanks for the help and for the tip - though I am not sure SWMBO would be so happy with my becoming a "Pro" wooter.

It is good to know that I am not the only one who frequently misses their PMs. I have apologized to folks in the past with the thought that I must be doing something wrong by not seeing new messages come in.

In for TWO!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 60 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:When are we going to get notifications of new PM's displayed...?

Don't need notification when it shows me the total number of PM's. I can see when the number changes, and I know I have new one(s).

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

ddeuddeg wrote:Don't need notification when it shows me the total number of PM's. I can see when the number changes, and I know I have new one(s).

...that requires a memory!
Hoping for a flashing envelope, or similar.

Huge props to Peter for jumping in here. Always look forward to adding to my hoard of his bottles, to allow drinking down the stash.

CT

SonomaBouliste

rjquillin wrote:...that requires a memory!
Hoping for a flashing envelope, or similar.

Huge props to Peter for jumping in here. Always look forward to adding to my hoard of his bottles, to allow drinking down the stash.

Do you drink up or drink down? George Carlin probably would've had an opinion on that.

rjquillin

SonomaBouliste wrote:Do you drink up or drink down? George Carlin probably would've had an opinion on that.

Ha. Good point. For me gravity says I drink down.

CT

jcarlton03

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jcarlton03

How about the 2006 Victory Reserve? I want to try and avoid that "dumb" period that everyone talks about. Any update on how this is drinking these days or when to ideally pop the cork?

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

SonomaBouliste

jcarlton03 wrote:How about the 2006 Victory Reserve? I want to try and avoid that "dumb" period that everyone talks about. Any update on how this is drinking these days or when to ideally pop the cork?

It's well past any dumb phase. It really comes down to your taste and stylistic preference. It's still fruity but has developed some complexity, drinking nicely now, but certainly has the capacity to develop for 5 to 10 more years and hold for a few years after that. For my personal taste, 12-15 years from vintage date is the peak, but I think RPM would likely say 20+ years.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 28 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
Winedavid39 wrote:classic comments. Resistance is futile! and no, Merlot will be selected randomly. luck of the draw.

I'm sure I'll be happy with either vintage. Order placed. Thanks WD, Neil, and Peter.

blaculadave

quality posts: 21 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

Great news everyone! In our continuing quest to get more states added back, we're now able to add back MONTANA.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus
blaculadave wrote:Great news everyone! In our continuing quest to get more states added back, we're now able to add back MONTANA.

Woot!!!!!!1!!!11

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 266 Private Messages chipgreen
blaculadave wrote:Great news everyone! In our continuing quest to get more states added back, we're now able to add back MONTANA.

It ain't Ohio but it's progress. Great news!
EDIT: Huh! Looks like Montana is a newcomer to the list as opposed to being added back but still great to see the list growing.

bolligra

quality posts: 40 Private Messages bolligra
SonomaBouliste wrote:It's well past any dumb phase. It really comes down to your taste and stylistic preference. It's still fruity but has developed some complexity, drinking nicely now, but certainly has the capacity to develop for 5 to 10 more years and hold for a few years after that. For my personal taste, 12-15 years from vintage date is the peak, but I think RPM would likely say 20+ years.

I've always been a little confused about the dumb phase. My understanding is a red wine quits developing and goes dumb about the fifth year and comes out of it in about the eight. So, does that mean it shouldn't be drunk during that period, i.e. Is it actually worse in the sixth than it would be in, say, the fourth year? Or does it just maintain whatever level it was when the dumb period begins? Is something noticeable to you guys with good palates if you drink wine while it's dumb? Thanks for any clarity.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.