WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Peter, great article as usual. Thanks for answering my question. Now a new question has popped up. Is there anything we, as consumers, can do to help procure a distributor for your wine, or any wine, in our state? If it meant I could pop down to the local wine store or mega grocery chain and get a bottle of Wellington or Caton or Madison I will be very happy to begin bombarding people with phone calls.

Or conceivably, what does one have to go through to become a distributor?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 275 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bhodilee wrote:Peter, great article as usual. Thanks for answering my question. Now a new question has popped up. Is there anything we, as consumers, can do to help procure a distributor for your wine, or any wine, in our state? If it meant I could pop down to the local wine store or mega grocery chain and get a bottle of Wellington or Caton or Madison I will be very happy to begin bombarding people with phone calls.

Or conceivably, what does one have to go through to become a distributor?

We have had consumer fans of ours help in the past, both with and without our knowledge. One of our best distributors found out about us from a member of our wine club who was a friend of his and belonged to the same tasting group. What usually happens with the consumer/grower/supporter who has a good friend with a restaurant or wine shop doesn't result in success. A retailer or restaurateur may recommend one or more distributors with whom they like to work, but, typically, the distributor isn't looking for new brands. Distributors probably get so many calls from people wanting representation that they look upon them as most of us do upon telemarketers (one of whom elicited more rudeness and profanity from me just yesterday than I have used in several years). Not to say it's pointless, after all - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
As far as becoming a distributor, it's probably easier to become a licensed arms dealer in most states (and cheaper).

ERMD

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ERMD
SonomaBouliste wrote:We have had consumer fans of ours help in the past, both with and without our knowladege. One of our best distributors found out about us from a member of our wine club who was a friend of his and belonged to the same tasting group. What usually happens with the consumer/grower/supporter who has a good friend with a restaurant or wine shop doesn't result in success. A retailer or restaurateur may recommend one or more distributors with whom they like to work, but, typically, the distributor isn't looking for new brands. Distributors probably get so many calls from people wanting representation that they look upon them as most of us do upon telemarketers (one of whom elicited more rudeness and profanity from me just yesterday than I have used in several years). Not to say it's pointless, after all - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
As far as becoming a distributor, it's probably easier to become a licensed arms dealer in most states (and cheaper).

Ok Peter, I will bite. Why is Florida so tough? What about ABC Liquor; contact them. I know it may not be that easy but if you have a great product with a price point thats good; I dont know. Hell let me get a distributor license(son in law already has a federal arms dealer license)

ERMD

Oh and by the way thought the 2003 syrah was fantastic but remind folks that playing with the end of the cork with the crystals can stain fingers. You try to explain to my patients why my fingers are purple/black.

yessrinc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yessrinc

Peter-
Excellent column again. Especially liked the MLF explanation and calling up the anti-war protests working in malolactic frementation! Do you distribute to NC? I have a few contacts with distributors that might be interested if you don't. Thanks for all the insight into the biz.

SonomaBouliste

ERMD wrote:Ok Peter, I will bite. Why is Florida so tough? What about ABC Liquor; contact them. I know it may not be that easy but if you have a great product with a price point thats good; I dont know. Hell let me get a distributor license(son in law already has a federal arms dealer license)

My Tasting room / office manager had a series of discussions with ABC that never bore fruit. I've had discussions with three different Florida distributors in the last two plus years with similar results. It takes the right company, the right chemistry and good timing to be successful. With the plethora of wine brands available, just making great wine and pricing it fairly aren't enough anymore.

SonomaBouliste

yessrinc wrote:Peter-
Excellent column again. Especially liked the MLF explanation and calling up the anti-war protests working in malolactic frementation! Do you distribute to NC? I have a few contacts with distributors that might be interested if you don't. Thanks for all the insight into the biz.

We do distribute in North Carolina. Dionysus, based in Raleigh, was the one good distributor we got out of our national marketing company.

nematic

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nematic

I was surprised to read that you have made wine for caton and muscardini. Do you do this for better utilization of your facilities, kindness of your heart, ...?

SonomaBouliste

nematic wrote:I was surprised to read that you have made wine for caton and muscardini. Do you do this for better utilization of your facilities, kindness of your heart, ...?

Among others. It generates positive cash flow, which is a big issue in this biz. It utilizes excess capacity, and works out well as long as it doesn't stretch other resources too thin (esp. labor).

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
SonomaBouliste wrote:We do distribute in North Carolina. Dionysus, based in Raleigh, was the one good distributor we got out of our national marketing company.

We're in the process of establishing a relationship with Dionysus (our Sous Chef is an ex-rep of theirs). Good to hear this - I'll add the 2003 Syrah to our wine list toutes suites.

Perfect excuse to convince the owners to get a few of WD's decanters!

winefarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages winefarm
MaskedMarvel wrote:We're in the process of establishing a relationship with Dionysus (our Sous Chef is an ex-rep of theirs). Good to hear this - I'll add the 2003 Syrah to our wine list toutes suites.

Perfect excuse to convince the owners to get a few of WD's decanters!

Hey now there you go!

johannafin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johannafin

I've seen Wellington in a local shop here in Asheville, NC. Didn't pick it up and don't remember exactly what it was. I think a cab, which is not one of my favorites.

Johanna

yessrinc wrote:Peter-

44 Wine Woots; 17 Woots (6 woot off wines)

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

Thanks again Peter for another fascinating installment. With all of this trouble hooking up with distributors, seems like quite a good thing that WD showed up at your doorstep. Your great relationship with w.w has distributed a few cases of Wellington right into my cellar.

Keep up the good work (on the wines and the column).

pickles1128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickles1128
SonomaBouliste wrote:Among others. It generates positive cash flow, which is a big issue in this biz. It utilizes excess capacity, and works out well as long as it doesn't stretch other resources too thin (esp. labor).

Can you tell us which wines you made for them? I've bought several of their wines in the last couple of years, too.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

great column, and thanks! Was looking forward to reading the next one.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 330 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

We may get some scatterred communication from Peter today. He's probably been up half the night dealing with frost protection. I't is 30 degrees in Carneros and the windmills are whiring and sprinklers are spraying at full tilt. sub 32 degrees after bud break is not something to be taken lightly.

Peter, hope Glen Ellen is managing.

ERMD

Winedavid39 wrote:We may get some scatterred communication from Peter today. He's probably been up half the night dealing with frost protection. I't is 30 degrees in Carneros and the windmills are whiring and sprinklers are spraying at full tilt. sub 32 degrees after bud break is not something to be taken lightly.

Ya global warming

Corrado

quality posts: 133 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ERMD wrote:Ya global warming

Shifting climate. Global dimming should be an equal concern. I'm actually more concerned about that than global warming (though one without the other, at least today, would be much worse than the current status quo).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

SonomaBouliste

pickles1128 wrote:Can you tell us which wines you made for them? I've bought several of their wines in the last couple of years, too.

"03
Tytanium was fermented at Castle, aged, blended and bottled here. "04 Tytanium, Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot and Cabernet were all crush to bottle here. All Muscardini's "05, "06, "07 crush to bottle here. Both are now elsewhere due to our lack of space and their growth.

SonomaBouliste

Winedavid39 wrote:We may get some scatterred communication from Peter today. He's probably been up half the night dealing with frost protection. I't is 30 degrees in Carneros and the windmills are whiring and sprinklers are spraying at full tilt. sub 32 degrees after bud break is not something to be taken lightly.

A B A D night unfortunately. It'll be at least a couple of weeks before we know the full extent of the damage.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
SonomaBouliste wrote:A B A D night unfortunately. It'll be at least a couple of weeks before we know the full extent of the damage.

Hope all turns out OK. Is this the type of thing that makes for a bump in the road, or that impacts a whole vintage?

CT | | | | | |

jhammond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammond
SonomaBouliste wrote:A B A D night unfortunately. It'll be at least a couple of weeks before we know the full extent of the damage.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds like it could be.

Thanks again for sharing with us!

MLF

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

Hope all works out for the good - puts into perspective my complaints when I have to put in a few hours of overtime knowing full well the direct deposit will show up in full and on time. I've got lots of respect for the risk-takers out there (and begrudge them nothing on the all too rare occasion when the reward comes in to make up for it).

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jhammond wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds like it could be.

Thanks again for sharing with us!

MLF

Love Tom Lehrer.

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219

Yikes, I didn't realize that California had already had bud break. We were in OR this weekend and bud break won't be for a few weeks. Which is a good thing in this instance, since it was hailing and snowing and freezing. I really hope everything comes out all right, Peter.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 330 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

larryschaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larryschaffer

Bud break has been hot and heavy down here in SB Cty. Those varieties that are early ripening are showing a lot of green growth now, and frost control has really stepped up - lots of overhead sprinklers on two nights ago and a few wind machines going ta boot . . . Some vineyards got hit pretty hard last year so we're all trying to avoid the same fate again . .

Wildflowers are in full bloom here with blue/purple lupines taking center stage - stunning! Cover crop is also very strong this year - ground is happy with rains that we've had and this should lead to a nice vigorous beginning of the growing season . . . Of course, there's a long way to go between now and harvest and a lot can happen . . . but so far things look good!

Cheers! And good luck Peter . . . and get your sleep during the DAY!

Winedavid39 wrote:Wow, i'd never heard of him. Fascinating.

larryschaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larryschaffer

Bud break has been hot and heavy down here in SB Cty. Those varieties that are early ripening are showing a lot of green growth now, and frost control has really stepped up - lots of overhead sprinklers on two nights ago and a few wind machines going ta boot . . . Some vineyards got hit pretty hard last year so we're all trying to avoid the same fate again . .

Wildflowers are in full bloom here with blue/purple lupines taking center stage - stunning! Cover crop is also very strong this year - ground is happy with rains that we've had and this should lead to a nice vigorous beginning of the growing season . . . Of course, there's a long way to go between now and harvest and a lot can happen . . . but so far things look good!

Cheers! And good luck Peter . . . and get your sleep during the DAY!

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson
WootBot wrote:two states (Missouri and Ohio) are responsible for over 50% of our wholesale business

Thanks Peter! I was just home in Missouri and went to a wine stores wine tasting. Lucky me they were sampling the 2006 Wellington Chard. I just bought a case of wine from you directly, but all reds. So naturally I bought a case of the Chard. In fact, I bought all the last of the chard they had.

SonomaBouliste

Corrado wrote:Love Tom Lehrer.

My sister had him as a prof at UC Sante Cruz. I think he taught math and musical comedy.

SonomaBouliste

jwhite6114 wrote:Hope all turns out OK. Is this the type of thing that makes for a bump in the road, or that impacts a whole vintage?

The main result is some crop loss. There is one potential quality problem, particularly with frost much later in the season: uneven ripening. If you have secondary shoots that bloom significantly later than the main crop and leave the fruit on and harvest at the same time you will be mixing in some underripe grapes.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

Whoa! Finally I meet someone who's led a more sheltered life than I have!

But seriously, you've never heard such classics as "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" or "The Masochism Tango"?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

An excellent read as always Peter. Hope the crop is okay after the cold nights.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

SonomaBouliste

timbyrd wrote:Whoa! Finally I meet someone who's led a more sheltered life than I have!

But seriously, you've never heard such classics as "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" or "The Masochism Tango"?

-- T

It's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon...

I bet he's the only person to ever base a song on the periodic table; how geeky can you get?

ERMD

SonomaBouliste wrote:It's not against any religion

I bet he's the only person to ever base a song on the periodic table; how geeky can you get?

Ummm (stands back adjusting his pocket protector and slide rule)

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
ERMD wrote:Ummm (stands back adjusting his pocket protector and slide rule)

do you know... what biodynamics is?

jhammond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammond
SonomaBouliste wrote:It's not against any religion

Well, one thing comes to mind. Let me hum a few bars:

"You can't take three from two, two is less than three, so you look at the four in the ten's place."

It's not *truly* geeky until he does it in base 8, of course.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

jhammond wrote:Well, one thing comes to mind. Let me hum a few bars:

"You can't take three from two, two is less than three, so you look at the four in the ten's place."

It's not *truly* geeky until he does it in base 8, of course.

'cause base 8 is just like base 10 really...

...if you're missing two fingers. :D

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
ERMD wrote:Ummm (stands back adjusting his pocket protector and slide rule)

I'm sad that I have misplaced the belt clip for the case for my K+E Double Log Decitrig.

I can't do modern geek very well, but back in the day...

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.