Mezzo Secco Dry Monterey Jack Cheese, 2 lbs - 2.5 lbs.
Mezzo Secco represents Vella Cheese’s attempt to return to the 1930s. The genesis for this cheese lies in the need for a soft or medium soft cheese to hold up during the hot summer months in an "ice box." In California from the 1920's thru 1946, mechanical household refrigerators were found only in the homes of the wealthy, or in commercial establishments. The majority of households by far had iceboxes that were cooled by a melting block of ice. When summer weather came, milk and butter were placed directly onto the ice box, and other foods that needed cooling--including fresh cheese--were left to fend for themselves in the adjoining compartment.
Consumers requested a firmer fresh Jack that would not get runny, yet was not as firm as dry Monterey Jack. A midway formula evolved, hence Mezzo Secco, and was offered for sale from May to October, At the end of World War II, when mechanical household refrigeration became cheaply available, Vella Cheese stopped making Mezzo Secco.
In 1999, Mezzo Secco was revived and awarded a silver medal in the US Cheese Championships. Mezzo Secco is a delicious complement to the line of Dry Monterey Jacks, and continues to earn national and international recognition. Mezzo Secco is aged a minimum of four to seven months.
- 2010 Gold Medal, Los Angeles International Dairy Competition
- 2009 Gold Medal, Los Angeles County Fair
- 2007, Gold Medal, Los Angeles County Fair
- 2007, Silver Medal, California State Fair
- 2007, Silver Medal, Wisconsin Cheesemakers Association
- 2005 Gold Medal, Los Angeles County Fair
- 2005 Second Place, American Cheese Society
- 2004, Silver Medal, International Cheese Championship
- 2003 Gold Medal, California State Fair