WootBot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does anyone in your household own a tuxedo?
  • 4.9% - Yes, several 17
  • 15.4% - Yes, one 53
  • 79.7% - No, none 275
345 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

PocketBrain


quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

I did at one time; maybe it exists in the back of a closet somewhere. I certainly cannot fit into it anymore.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

jawlz


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz

One tux, eight or so suits, and around half-a-dozen sportcoats/blazers.

hosesplus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

One tux, to be worn once, may be the dumbest purchase you can make. I have worn a tux exactly 6 times in my life, each time years apart. My weight fluctuates, styles change and clothes hanging in a closet for years takes up space. We have a nice rental place a few miles away, avoid the discount rentals, it always fits right and when I'm finished I take it back. I even dampened one by falling in a lake(when I was younger and wilder)the cleaning charge was ridiculous but I still think I'm way ahead.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

jawlz


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz
hosesplus wrote:One tux, to be worn once, may be the dumbest purchase you can make. I have worn a tux exactly 6 times in my life, each time years apart. My weight fluctuates, styles change and clothes hanging in a closet for years takes up space. We have a nice rental place a few miles away, avoid the discount rentals, it always fits right and when I'm finished I take it back. I even dampened one by falling in a lake(when I was younger and wilder)the cleaning charge was ridiculous but I still think I'm way ahead.



If you're only going to wear it once, then buying doesn't make sense, but once you hit 3 or 4 times, it saves money to buy.

Black tie styles don't really change that much (the biggest change in the last few decades has been a shift from peak to notch lapels, but peak lapels are still acceptable and commonplace); a 1950s tuxedo wouldn't look out of place today, for instance.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson
hosesplus wrote:One tux, to be worn once, may be the dumbest purchase you can make. I have worn a tux exactly 6 times in my life, each time years apart. My weight fluctuates, styles change and clothes hanging in a closet for years takes up space. We have a nice rental place a few miles away, avoid the discount rentals, it always fits right and when I'm finished I take it back. I even dampened one by falling in a lake(when I was younger and wilder)the cleaning charge was ridiculous but I still think I'm way ahead.


Yes. My son plays in the college symphony and he wears a tux for their concerts. It was a good investment...I guarantee it.

chipgreen


quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:Yes. My son plays in the college symphony and he wears a tux for their concerts. It was a good investment...I guarantee it.



ardubu


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

A Tennesse tuxedo.

It's made from a camo uniform! Ha!

Ah, the hell with it.

cburnosu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cburnosu

Where does the tuxedo t-shirt come into play?

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm

I suppose it's really a class and culture question: upper middle class men usually own at least one semi-formal suit (tuxedo), and upper class, and musician, men usually own both (at least one) tuxedo and a formal suit (almost always evening dress or 'tails'; rarely a morning coat). Most other men don't own either, and rent on the rare occasions they need a semi-formal suit.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

michaelvella


quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaelvella
ardubu wrote:A Tennesse tuxedo.



jawlz


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz
rpm wrote:I suppose it's really a class and culture question: upper middle class men usually own at least one semi-formal suit (tuxedo), and upper class, and musician, men usually own both (at least one) tuxedo and a formal suit (almost always evening dress or 'tails'; rarely a morning coat). Most other men don't own either, and rent on the rare occasions they need a semi-formal suit.



I imagine that the culture question is going to have significant geographic variation. In my time in Southern California I haven't seen any white-tie social events (perhaps that's just the crowd with which I run, but perhaps not), whereas they occur with more frequency on the east coast, and with actual regularity across the pond.

PocketBrain


quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

I have heard bib overalls referred to as "The Hillbilly Tuxedo." Does that count?

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

snarkyman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages snarkyman

We have a skewbald tuxedo kitty.

Calgaltoal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

I have two tuxedo cats, does that count?

mainmchc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

I bought one to wear to my brothers wedding then they opted for a Steampunk wedding...

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
jawlz wrote:If you're only going to wear it once, then buying doesn't make sense, but once you hit 3 or 4 times, it saves money to buy.

Black tie styles don't really change that much (the biggest change in the last few decades has been a shift from peak to notch lapels, but peak lapels are still acceptable and commonplace); a 1950s tuxedo wouldn't look out of place today, for instance.



Indeed, one of the surest class indicators is whether one's semi-formal or formal suit looks like you've had it for at least a decade. And if it fits properly.

Whenever I've bought a new one, I've always been a bit self-conscious for the first few times I've worn it.

Anent collars - at least you only rarely see shawl collars anymore, which were very fashionable in the '60s - '80s. I remember wearing a peaked lapelled, double breasted semi-formal suit of my father's (bought in the late '20s or early '30s) back in the early '70s, and getting all kinds of compliments on the fashionable styling, as they were just coming back into fashion.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!