Sold by: St. Julian Wine Co Inc
$49.99 $108.00 54% off List Price
(4) - Cherry Gunga Din Cider, 22 oz.
(4) - Cinnamon Gunga Din Cider, 22 oz
(4) - Gunga Din Hard Cider, 22 oz.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

theatergy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theatergy

I was very excited to receive word one evening last week that I had been chosen as a Grape Debater for the first time. When I saw that it would be not wine, but rather cider that I would be reviewing, my excitement turned to giddiness! After all, ciders on wine.woot are exceptionally rare.

I'm a huge fan of cider, and have been for the past 10+ years. Over that time period, cider has become a much more popular beverage, and that has led to a far wider selection being available both in terms of brands and varieties. I generally prefer what I consider to be "craft" ciders from small to midsize ciderys. I tend to avoid the large "mass market" brands, while awarding bonus points for local ciders (just as I do for wines). I also prefer ciders that have at least a little bit of sweetness to them, versus those that tend to be more dry. Without enough sugar in there, I feel that the apple flavors sort of disappear.

When the nice lady from FedEx delivered the bottle, I eagerly tore open the box to reveal a bottle cradled in eco-friendly molded paperboard packaging. "'Gunga Din Cinnamon', that's a funny name!" I quipped as I gave the bottle's label a thorough reading before stashing it in the chill chest until later in the weekend.

Flash forward to Sunday evening. With our toddler asleep, my wife and I popped the cap off of the 22 ounce bottle and poured ourselves a couple of glasses. The label states that the cider "captures the true essence of fresh baked apple pie", so I was eager to taste how it compared to one of my all time favorites, which I often equate to drinking liquid apple pie.

Taking a good sniff of my glass, the apple smell was crisp and unmistakable. There was a hint of cinnamon as well in there, though not as strong as other spiced ciders I've had or what you might expect to smell after pulling a fresh apple pie out of the oven. St. Julian seemed content to let the apples do most of the work here, which was just fine by me.

The first sip went down very easily, and my wife immediately mentioned how smooth the cider was. That first taste confirmed my expectations that this cider was definitely about the apples first and foremost. That is something that I don't always feel that ciderys have the easiest time with. Most of my favorite varieties bring some other strong flavors to the party, be that in the form of other fruits, bourbon, spices, etc. Many times, the varieties that are more about the apples wind up feeling boring or uninspired to me. That was definitely not the case here! Maybe it's because the Gunga Din Cinnamon is focused on the Golden Delicious apple, whereas most if not all of the other ciders I've had are a undetermined blend of various apple varieties.

The Gunga Din Cinnamon had the perfect amount of sweetness for my taste: enough that it made the apple flavors lead the way, not so much that it tasted like it should be served as dessert. The cinnamon is in there too, but it almost acts as a flavor enhancer rather than a distinct flavor of its own. It was appropriately acidic, without leading my mouth to pucker or to feel the sourness in the corners of my mouth. The level of fizziness was appropriate. Maybe a little stronger than some other ciders, but far from overpowering. It sort of made the cider dance on my tongue, which was nice.

I've honestly never been one to pair my cider choices with specific foods, but a glance at St. Julian Winery's website mentioned several suggestions. Asian, Indian, and "Mexican flair" dishes were all recommended, as was shellfish. The website also mentioned that it paired well with cheese, so back to the chill chest I went for a slice of extra sharp New York cheddar. What an excellent combination that was! I found that the cheddar brought out a lot more of the apple pie flavors in the cider. Sipping the cider after a nibble of the sharp cheese brought out plenty of spicy flavors. It was almost like drinking an entirely different variety of cider. I could imagine how well the cider would play with the strong, spicy flavors of the suggested Asian, Indian, or Mexican cuisines.

Finally, I tried a few sips of it that had been warmed. While it wasn't bad, the apple forward flavors of the cider didn't lend themselves particularly well to that application. A variety that was more heavy on the cinnamon flavors here would probably work better warm. The Gunga Din Cinnamon seemed like it needed more spices here for it to work well as a warmed cider.

All in all, it was a very good cider. Probably not one that would become my go to, but rather one that I'd choose when I want some cider to sip after a long day or to pair with the aforementioned foods. Definitely in for 1.

Thanks for the chance to Grape Debate this one. I'll try to check in later today if others have questions.

bendb

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bendb

Anyone know what the supermarket pricing and availability of this is in Michigan?

kismatt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kismatt
bendb wrote:Anyone know what the supermarket pricing and availability of this is in Michigan?

St Julian's has it on their site at $5.99 a bottle, but they only list the regular hard cider. Can't help you more - I'm not in Michigan!

EDIT: I found the rest of them listed on the Wines page. They have the three flavors listed in the Woot sale, all at $5.99 a bottle. You can do a search on beermenus.com to find where they are sold closest to you - my closest location is a beer store in Canton, MI, only 436 miles away! Ack.

zenith931

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith931
kismatt wrote:St Julian's has it on their site at $5.99 a bottle, but they only list the regular hard cider. Can't help you more - I'm not in Michigan!

EDIT: I found the rest of them listed on the Wines page. They have the three flavors listed in the Woot sale, all at $5.99 a bottle. You can do a search on beermenus.com to find where they are sold closest to you - my closest location is a beer store in Canton, MI, only 436 miles away! Ack.

I live in Michigan and you'd never find this cider for less than $5.99 a bottle in any market. Especially if it's a 22 oz bottle. It'd expect to see that cider at $10 bottle easily.

istrahler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages istrahler

Anyone know why this won't ship to Pennsylvania? They passed DTC sales last year in PA, so in theory this should be available.

svwindom

quality posts: 17 Private Messages svwindom

I was delighted to get the email informing me I'd been chosen as a Lab Rat – I mean, Grape Debater – I mean, Apple Debater – for Gunga Din Cider by St. Julian Winery, partly because yay, free booze, but also because I really like cider. An acquaintance of ours here in southwest Colorado has an apple orchard, and every autumn he has a harvest party where we all pitch in and help pick apples and run them through his hydraulic cider press. Anyone who brings empty jugs can fill them and take them home. But the best part of all is the potluck, because he brings out last year's hard cider to drink with the meal. So I've developed a taste for the stuff!

I chilled the bomber bottle of cider and brought it out Sunday afternoon. Out of the bottle, it's a lovely golden color, with the clarity of filtration, unlike our friend's slightly clouded homemade version. The slight head quickly dissipated. I didn't detect any scent at all; my husband felt there was a subtle apple fragrance. The carbonation is very light, only a bare touch of fizz.

Despite the lack of fragrance, the taste is very strongly apple-y. It is quite sweet – I thought it was a little too sweet, my husband thought it had a good level of sweetness – with a hint of tartness, less balanced (to me) than the label copy promises. It doesn't taste particularly alcoholic, though at 5.5% it's about the same as beer. We paired it with tortilla chips, and also with crackers and cheese, which was a nice combination but I think made it seem even sweeter.

My husband thought it was refreshing and he'd drink it again. I felt it was too sweet for my taste, but not so much that I couldn't drink my half of the bottle. Which works out, by the way, to 1.375 servings according to the nutritional information on the label, though as with beer, you can't exactly drink one serving and recap it for later. (Well, I guess you could, but considering how light the carbonation is, it would likely go flat.)

Thanks, Woot!

rgarnier

quality posts: 21 Private Messages rgarnier

Decent reviews on untappd.

https://untappd.com/b/st-julian-wine-co-inc-gunga-din-cider/369025

Pretty meh reviews over at ratebeer - sounds to be of average quality, at best.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gunga-din-cider/230194/

wootbrainz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wootbrainz

i assume these are all gluten free? I didn't see in the specs. (don't hate - i have celiac disease)

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58

I dig ciders but why would you put cinnamon or cherry into a good apple cider??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bendb

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bendb

I searched for St. Julian at duckduck, and the top result from wikipedia was about a Julian of Norwich (England), who lived from 1342 to 1416. This tidbit was interesting:

...was an English anchoress and an important Christian mystic and theologian. Her Revelations of Divine Love, written around 1395, is the first book in the English language known to have been written by a woman.

mmcisaac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmcisaac
tytiger58 wrote:I dig ciders but why would you put cinnamon or cherry into a good apple cider??

The cherry addition is very common in Michigan, where the local farmers are very proud of their high quality cherry crops. It's not just about covering up a mediocre base, though that does happen sometimes too. They try to add cherry to EVERYTHING, even things that are great on their own. Syrup, tea, wines too.

svwindom

quality posts: 17 Private Messages svwindom
wootbrainz wrote:i assume these are all gluten free? I didn't see in the specs. (don't hate - i have celiac disease)

According to the label, yes, at least for the "regular" Gunga Din Cider. (It says GLUTEN FREE in large capital letters!) Ingredients are: fermented apple juice, carbon dioxide, potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulfite.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 316 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

wootbrainz wrote:i assume these are all gluten free? I didn't see in the specs. (don't hate - i have celiac disease)

Checking.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 316 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

svwindom wrote:According to the label, yes, at least for the "regular" Gunga Din Cider. (It says GLUTEN FREE in large capital letters!) Ingredients are: fermented apple juice, carbon dioxide, potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulfite.

confirmed gluten free !

StJulianWinery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StJulianWinery
svwindom wrote:According to the label, yes, at least for the "regular" Gunga Din Cider. (It says GLUTEN FREE in large capital letters!) Ingredients are: fermented apple juice, carbon dioxide, potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulfite.

Hello,
Our Gunga Din Cider has been certified and tested to be Gluten Free.

StJulianWinery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StJulianWinery

Hello,
All of our Ciders are 100% certified Gluten Free.

djb5842

quality posts: 5 Private Messages djb5842

The specs say the sugars are 4 and 6. Exactly what does that mean? 4 on a scale of 1-10? 4gm per serving, per bottle?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bendb wrote:I searched for St. Julian at duckduck, and the top result from wikipedia was about a Julian of Norwich (England), who lived from 1342 to 1416. This tidbit was interesting:

Also interesting is that by coincidence (or not), today is the day her life is celebrated on the Anglican calendar.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wootbrainz

Winedavid39 wrote:confirmed gluten free !

woot!! thank you!

wootbrainz

StJulianWinery wrote:Hello,
All of our Ciders are 100% certified Gluten Free.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Collegebob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Collegebob
djb5842 wrote:The specs say the sugars are 4 and 6. Exactly what does that mean? 4 on a scale of 1-10? 4gm per serving, per bottle?

It is most likely 4% and 6% residual sugar. Higher sugars help balance out the acids.

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
istrahler wrote:Anyone know why this won't ship to Pennsylvania? They passed DTC sales last year in PA, so in theory this should be available.

Wine.woot does not ship to PA at all, except for non-alcohol items on Thursdays.

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
theatergy wrote:Thanks for the chance to Grape Debate this one. I'll try to check in later today if others have questions.

Well done!
Not a cider drinker, but your review has me second thinking that...

CT

radiolysis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages radiolysis

Impulse buy. Like cider and at this price how can I say no.