WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever baked your own bread?
  • 21.9% - Yes, I do that regularly 79
  • 54.2% - Yes, I did that a few times 195
  • 12.5% - No, but I'd love to try 45
  • 11.4% - No, and I'm not interested 41
360 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ohlfahrt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohlfahrt

Ive found baking bread to be incredibly therapeutic throughout my life; I've been doing it for more than 60-years. Now, for the long periods of kneading I use our decades-old KitchenAid with its dough hook. But the forming of the loaves, that's always by hand. I get my best results using glass loaf pans. Never use all purpose flour. I do all my baking with lard as the shortening; butter goes on the finished product. Wine and fine music during the entire process is essential. I like a nice Cabernet coupled with Mozart.

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
ohlfahrt wrote:Ive found baking bread to be incredibly therapeutic throughout my life; I've been doing it for more than 60-years. Now, for the long periods of kneading I use our decades-old KitchenAid with its dough hook. But the forming of the loaves, that's always by hand. I get my best results using glass loaf pans. Never use all purpose flour. I do all my baking with lard as the shortening; butter goes on the finished product. Wine and fine music during the entire process is essential. I like a nice Cabernet coupled with Mozart.

That sounds awesome!

I love making bread. This will definitely be a hobby when I get older.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I cheat, using a bread machine. At least two loaves a week. Very easy to make healthy, nutritious whole grain herbed breads. So much tastier than store bought.

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

I cook. Oogie owns a dessert bakery. But neither of us has ever baked bread.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

I used to make a Carolina Herb Sourdough bread that you could dip in Olive oil for parties. It was fun to experiment with different spices and herbs. As someone said, it is very therapeutic to do it.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 87 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Used to make our own sourdough whole wheat bread.
It was too good...
We still have our stone grinder to make the whole wheat.
Using a mixer is cheating, you have to knead it by hand!
It seems like the 'starter' got a bit stronger over time. Yum!

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu
olperfesser wrote:I cheat, using a bread machine. At least two loaves a week. Very easy to make healthy, nutritious whole grain herbed breads. So much tastier than store bought.

++1!
I just made some whole wheat Onion-garlic bread and Pretzels! Yum!

I understand why my cat is always 'kneading bread'!

Ah, the hell with it.

jawlz

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz

I had gotten into the habit of making bread once a week last year, but in January of this year I broke my wrist, and while I was recovering my wife decided to go on a low-carb diet, so the bread baking has ceased for the time being.

Which is kind of a shame, as the process of making the dough (mixing, kneading, letting rise, punching down, etc) was pleasant and somewhat meditative, albeit with long breaks during the rising periods.

programmerwino

quality posts: 3 Private Messages programmerwino

I used to experiment once in a while, but (since I live in the Chicago burbs) there's so much good bread on the market, and so many things to try, I usually just bought.

Then I got diagnosed with celiac disease, and had to go gluten free (bummer!). So now I bake most of my GF bread-- commercial GF bread is generally not very good and is very expensive. Fortunately I enjoy making yeast breads.

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

We had a breadmaker. Enjoyed the fresh bread, but getting out the hook, etc. was a pain. We also got an Average Joe Artisan Bread Kit from Woot. Wonderful bread. Have to plan ahead, but now that I am retired, I can pull it off. Not that hard, and taste wonderful to have fresh bread.

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

I had a yeast infection once. I feel that counts for something.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)