WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When you rent a car, do you buy the extra insurance?
  • 22.1% - Yes- and I'll tell you why! 70
  • 77.9% - No- and I'll explain why! 247
317 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

roycee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roycee

Look at your credit card benefits. All but one of mine includes rental insurance if I charge the entire rental on their card.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Check your insurance coverage. I believe most, if not all, car insurance covers rental cars.

So unless you don't have a personal car covered by insurance (or a credit card without rental benefits), you don't need to sign up for the rental version.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

My rentals are almost always paid by the company. I have been lucky with some very reliable automobiles.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

I buy the extra insurance. On a business trip, I was hit in the parking lot and it pushed my car into another car. When I came out, the police made me take a field test to see if I was drunk or high. They blamed it on me even though someone said there was another car involved. The rental car company insurance paid it. My car insurance at the time would not have paid it and told me so in a carefully crafted letter. So that is why I always buy the extra insurance. Just in case.

Bonkars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bonkars

Covered under my own insurance policy.

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

The last time I had to get one, the woman scared me so bad in case I wrecked it. I parked it until my car was ready. Even though I have not had an accident in many years.

leftymgp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leftymgp

Generally no for reasons explained above (it's usually redundant). But I will if I'm traveling in a foreign country that's not known for cautious drivers because I'm not 100% sure how my own insurance applies abroad. I suppose my ignorance there is a solvable problem, but in the past I've just ponied up the extra $$.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 86 Private Messages daveinwarshington

No. Already covered with my policy.

I don't get extended warranties either.

xtopgun32x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtopgun32x

Never for rental car. HOWEVER!, if you rent a U-Haul get the extra insurance!!! If you mess that truck up they may try to charge you for the whole retail price of the truck!! U-Haul don't play.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

In the US, no. Overseas, always.

CLH777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CLH777

You don't have to if you have your own automobile insurance, or use a credit card that covers the deductible. DITTO!

Charles L. Harris

snarkyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snarkyman

USAA insurance and credit card cover everything

wsrcr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wsrcr

nope...
my car ins plan covers me when renting too...

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

Nope. Covered by my policy

williamreed81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamreed81

Not only does my capital one card cover the rental but so does my insurance company. The additional insurance isn't for your protection it's for the rental company to make more money off you.

djwitzel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djwitzel

As I don't own a car, I'm on the hook to buy liability (credit card companies generally cover collision only) from the rental agency. I don't consider that "extra" insurance.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

Use Lyft.
Else walk/local mass transit.
Not my problem anymore.

Ah, the hell with it.