quality posts: 2397 Private Messages Cesare

Beehive Cheese Company - TeaHive and Promontory
$29.99 $53.00 43% off List Price
(1) - Beehive Cheese Company TeaHive, 16 oz. Wedge
(1) - Beehive Cheese Company Promontory, 16 oz. Wedge

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 258 Private Messages kylemittskus

Someone tell me about the promontory, please.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mdl1atra

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdl1atra
kylemittskus wrote:Someone tell me about the promontory, please.

HI There,

It's funny you should ask. I work as a professional chef and I just received some of the promontory yesterday.
This cheese is great. It is a firm cheese... Halfway between a cheddar and a good parmesan cheese in texture. Smooth as silk when you bite into it. Not hard, like I expected, but has a some nuttiness to it, but also some underpinnings of fruit.
I eat a lot of cheese, and at work I get to try some of the best cheeses out there. I think this is my favorite cheese I have eaten, ever. And, that is saying a lot.

Mike

The Tech Son

quality posts: 4 Private Messages The Tech Son
mdl1atra wrote:HI There,

It's funny you should ask. I work as a professional chef and I just received some of the promontory yesterday.
This cheese is great. It is a firm cheese... Halfway between a cheddar and a good parmesan cheese in texture. Smooth as silk when you bite into it. Not hard, like I expected, but has a some nuttiness to it, but also some underpinnings of fruit.
I eat a lot of cheese, and at work I get to try some of the best cheeses out there. I think this is my favorite cheese I have eaten, ever. And, that is saying a lot.

Mike

Ha, ha, ha . . . . WRONG!

Promontory is the noun used for any building, room or structure hosting a prom. For example, "The high school gymnasium will be used as this year's promontory".

curvin777

quality posts: 11 Private Messages curvin777
The Tech Son wrote:Ha, ha, ha . . . . WRONG!

Promontory is the noun used for any building, room or structure hosting a prom. For example, "The high school gymnasium will be used as this year's promontory".

Oooooh, moded!!

curvin777

quality posts: 11 Private Messages curvin777

I live a few miles from their HQ, and and I look forward to these Woot! deals for their prices! I LOVE every cheese that they make that I've tried!

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:Someone tell me about the promontory, please.

Pretty much the same as the TeaHive and Barely Buzzed but without the rub.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:Pretty much the same as the TeaHive and Barely Buzzed but without the rub.

And as much as I like the ones with the rubs, the Promontory is my favorite. All of these cheeses keep really well in the original packaging, and we have 4 pounds on hand already, but this offer is irresistible.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wookie1975

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wookie1975
mdl1atra wrote:HI There,

Mike

Hey there all you Wooters!
Thanks Mike for the great plug.
I work here at the creamery and could not have described it better myself!

-Warren

wookie1975

curvin777 wrote:I live a few miles from their HQ, and and I look forward to these Woot! deals for their prices! I LOVE every cheese that they make that I've tried!

Thanks Curvin777!
It's folks like you that keep us passionate about what we do!

-Warren

wseltzer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wseltzer

Sounds interesting.
Though I'm holding out for a Woot special on Venezuelan Beaver Cheese.
https://youtu.be/B3KBuQHHKx0?t=3m40s

wookie1975

chipgreen wrote:Pretty much the same as the TeaHive and Barely Buzzed but without the rub.

Chipgreen,
True, Teahive and Barely Buzzed do start from our Promontory recipe. However, we rub them when they are new and the rubs impart complex and distinctive flavors through to the middle of the cheese as they age. Teahive ends up with a very fruity final flavor completely unique and individual. I hope this helps provide clarification.

kylemittskus

What's the fridge-drawer life on these? I'm a second from pulling the trigger but 2lbs is a lot of cheese.

wookie1975

kylemittskus wrote:What's the fridge-drawer life on these? I'm a second from pulling the trigger but 2lbs is a lot of cheese.

Kylemittskus,
The cheese will be fine as long as the seal is good. I believe we put a 6 month shelf life on our retail cuts so customers can have some assurance of how long they have.
Upon opening, I would consume within 30 days, unless you have a small vacuum sealer. Our cheese is pretty resilient if you keep it wrapped up tight.

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Any idea when you will be shipping? I travel a lot on business, and I'd hate to have this sitting in the UPS Store for a while.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

Cortot and I are in. Super excited to finally try some tea hive.

edlada

quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada
kylemittskus wrote:What's the fridge-drawer life on these? I'm a second from pulling the trigger but 2lbs is a lot of cheese.

Hahaha, 2 pounds of cheese is a warm up if it is really good cheese and from what I have read, this is some really good cheese. I sent some of this to my sister some time ago and she raved about it and she knows good food. I can eat a pound of good cheese in a week or less. I am going to Amsterdam on Saturday for 3 days, cheese heaven! Did I mention I like good cheese?

My dogs like me, that is important.

lopop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lopop

Hmm. 29.99 + 5.00 Shipping. So $35.00 for two pounds. That is probably a good deal for those who don't have this very good brand of cheese. I just saw it in our local Smith's supermarket today. The Promontory was a unit price of $15.99 a pound, the Teahive 17.99. So $16 + 18. Total of $34 (plus tax). They were selling it in smaller than one-pound wedges.

dgfait

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dgfait
lopop wrote:Hmm. 29.99 + 5.00 Shipping. So $35.00 for two pounds. That is probably a good deal for those who don't have this very good brand of cheese. I just saw it in our local Smith's supermarket today. The Promontory was a unit price of $15.99 a pound, the Teahive 17.99. So $16 + 18. Total of $34 (plus tax). They were selling it in smaller than one-pound wedges.

I believe the $29.99 price includes shipping, so still a little bit cheaper than the store. Plus, they deliver it directly to your front door!

wookie1975

JOATMON wrote:Any idea when you will be shipping? I travel a lot on business, and I'd hate to have this sitting in the UPS Store for a while.

JOATMON,
Great question!
Our happy cheese-makers were cutting the cheese(insert juvenile joke here) all morning to make your Woot/Beehive Cheese fantasies come true.
This one should be a very fast turn around. If all goes well we will be shipping these out Monday March 13th. Also, I believe all packages should be going out FedEx.
Order now or forever be sad you didn't(until the next Beehive Woot!)

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz
kylemittskus wrote:Cortot and I are in. Super excited to finally try some tea hive.

Can't wait til cortot moves to Whittier so we can split wine and fine foods...😀

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
wookie1975 wrote:Chipgreen,
True, Teahive and Barely Buzzed do start from our Promontory recipe. However, we rub them when they are new and the rubs impart complex and distinctive flavors through to the middle of the cheese as they age. Teahive ends up with a very fruity final flavor completely unique and individual. I hope this helps provide clarification.

You're right, I do remember a fruitiness to the flavor of the TeaHive. I love all your cheeses, so delicious!

Thanks for the additional deets....

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 31 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Storage tip for Beehive cheeses I've bought from Woot: Once opened, I cut off a wedge to serve then put the remainder in a sealed Foodsaver vacuum bag that I cut (purposely) extra long. Each time we wanted another wedge I just cut it open, cut a wedge, put the rest back in the slightly shorter bag and re-vacuum-sealed it and put back in the fridge. It lasted this way until both the cheese (and the bag) were gone, about 6-7 months (at most depending on social schedule). The cheese was every bit as delicious then as when we first opened it.

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Storage tip for Beehive cheeses I've bought from Woot: Once opened, I cut off a wedge to serve then put the remainder in a sealed Foodsaver vacuum bag that I cut (purposely) extra long. Each time we wanted another wedge I just cut it open, cut a wedge, put the rest back in the slightly shorter bag and re-vacuum-sealed it and put back in the fridge. It lasted this way until both the cheese (and the bag) were gone, about 6-7 months (at most depending on social schedule). The cheese was every bit as delicious then as when we first opened it.

6 or 7 months for 16 ounces of cheese??!! I don't understand?? Oh and I'm in!

Last wooter to woot: tytiger58

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Emilynoelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emilynoelle

I'm going on a ski trip... what do I do if I send it to the condo and it arrives after I leave..? I really want some, but not sure if to order now because of the timing!

Emilynoelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emilynoelle

Also how is it normally $53? On the website it's 20 and 21 a pound, which doesn't add up.

rc70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rc70

Love the Beehive Cheese, and being local to them allows us to stop into their outlet store for all sorts of flavors they make. Tonight we were having the Hatch Chili Rubbed (current favorite), Spicy Habanero Squeaky Bee Curds and Smoked Apple Walnut along with several wine choices.
Buy this stuff - it is wonderful cheese.

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:Can't wait til cortot moves to Whittier so we can split wine and fine foods...😀

I'm taking this as a compliment.
Yes I'm moving. And I've had offers to move next to tytiger, klezman and now you. But truth be told I'm probably staying over here somewhere...

What this really means is that all you need to find some local wine drinking friends.

CT

cortot20

rc70 wrote:Love the Beehive Cheese, and being local to them allows us to stop into their outlet store for all sorts of flavors they make. Tonight we were having the Hatch Chili Rubbed (current favorite), Spicy Habanero Squeaky Bee Curds and Smoked Apple Walnut along with several wine choices.
Buy this stuff - it is wonderful cheese.

Wait, are they in Utah?

CT

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Cortot and I are in. Super excited to finally try some tea hive.

Thank you sir.

CT

rc70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rc70
cortot20 wrote:Wait, are they in Utah?

Yes they are, about 30 minutes north of Salt Lake.

cortot20

rc70 wrote:Yes they are, about 30 minutes north of Salt Lake.

I should go visit...

CT

wookie1975

JOATMON wrote:Any idea when you will be shipping? I travel a lot on business, and I'd hate to have this sitting in the UPS Store for a while.

FYI,
All packages shipped out today. You should see them before the weekend. Happy nibbling!

ctviggen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ctviggen

Ours is still in Tennessee. Will this be good when we finally get it?