Date: Saturday, April 29th, 2017
Time: Start gathering at 2, start tasting at 3.
Theme: Corison Napa Cabernet 1987-2013
Host: zTimothyBz - Lakewood, CA
It's been years, but it's finally happening!
A 27-year vertical of Corison Napa cabs...
First, it looks like the buy-in for the tasting and dinner will be $240. Just dinner for +1's is looking to be $40.
We'll do the tasting in 3 sets of 3 wines with breaks between and dessert afterward. (If you are a hobbit, think of the breaks as 1st supper and 2nd supper...)
I don't know how late the event will run, because in addition to tasting and eating, there will be time for Cathy to talk about each of the vintages. (Oh, did I forget to mention that Cathy Corison will be our special guest?)
I'm going to do this in a similar way to the RPM tours. First interest, then deposit. Since I'm only opening one bottle of each vintage, there will be 20 tasting spots, and of course we're treating Cathy. I can handle a few more people for dinner only.
So who is up for it?
Interest list for the tasting:
9. CoffeeMate (java+1)
3. Molarchae (klezman+1)
One more thing - if you or a +1 aren't used to aged cabs, I'd suggest "training up" a bit before the tasting. The Chicago #9 wine.woot gathering was an eye-opener for several of us in that regard.
And some hype:
Crushing the Corison – Part 1
Crushing the Corison – Part 2
(2017-03-08 - adding some details)
- The flights will be three wines. We'll do three flights and then take a break for perhaps a half hour or 45 minutes. So nine wines, break, nine, break, nine, dessert.
- The breaks will be time for food and *minor* palate recovery.
- The food will be mostly Persian, which is rich but not spicy. There will be vegetarian/vegan options. If there are dietary requirements, discuss it with me offline.
- The first three flights will be "1987 1996 2005", "1988 1997 2006" and "1989 1998 2007", and so on, finishing the tasting with "1995 2004 2013". The different wines in each flight will help keep people alert (to help with contrast effect). Also, the pours in the glasses will only be changing by one year at a time.
- I'll be providing ISO tasting glasses.
- There are dogs in the house. (Though they won't be joining us for the tasting!) That's an alert for people with allergies.
Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.