zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

(edited 2017-03-30 - more updates)

Date: Saturday, April 29th, 2017
Time: Start gathering at 2, start tasting at 3.
Theme: Corison Napa Cabernet 1987-2013
Host: zTimothyBz - Lakewood, CA

It's taken years, but it's finally happening!
A 27-year vertical of Corison Napa cabs...

First, the cost for the tasting and dinner will be $240 per person tasting.

I don't know how late the event will run, because in addition to tasting and eating, there will be time for Cathy to talk about each of the vintages. (Oh, did I forget to mention that Cathy Corison will be our special guest?)

(edit add - since it's money time...)

Since we are only four weeks away, I'm going to ask for the full $240. Please be in touch with me or RJ to get confirmed.

For people who would be sending checks, please PM me for the address.

For people who want to use paypal, rjquillin has the same account we used for the 2014 RPM tour:

rjquillin wrote:For those that don't remember...
2014rpmtour at gmail dot com
is the address to use for PP.
If you do a transfer from a bank account, or pay from a balance, there is no fee for either.
CC funded payments either the sender or recipient will incur a service charge.

It's free within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30). For personal payments, the sender can pay the fee or pass it on to the recipient. If the recipient doesn't want to pay the fee, they can choose not to accept the payment.

Since I'm only opening one bottle of each vintage, there will be 20 tasting spots, and of course we're treating Cathy.

So who is up for it?

Confirmed/paid list:
1. zTimothyBz
2. cathycorison
3. MarkDaSpark
4. rjquillin
5. javadrinker
6. CoffeeMate (java+1)
7. WineDavid
8. WineDavid's (of age) daughter
9. awl85
10. merbill
11. bahwm
12. ddeuddeg
13. Wkdpanda
14. PandaTamer (Wkdpanda+1)
15. dsapp
16. dsapp+1
17. klezman
18. ttt

One more thing - if you or a +1 aren't used to aged cabs, I'd suggest "training up" a bit before the tasting. The Chicago #9 wine.woot gathering was an eye-opener for several of us in that regard.

And some hype:
Crushing the Corison – Part 1
Crushing the Corison – Part 2

And some details:

- We'll do the tasting in 3 sets of 9 wines with breaks between and dessert afterward. (If you are a hobbit, think of the breaks as 1st supper and 2nd supper...) The flights will be three wines. We'll do three flights and then take a break for perhaps a half hour or 45 minutes. So nine wines, break, nine, break, nine, dessert.

- The breaks will be time for food and *minor* palate recovery.

- The first three flights will be "1987 1996 2005", "1988 1997 2006" and "1989 1998 2007", and so on, finishing the tasting with "1995 2004 2013". The different wines in each flight will help keep people alert (to help with contrast effect). Also, the pours in the glasses will only be changing by one year at a time.

- We will be using ISO tasting glasses.

- The food will be mostly Persian, which is rich but not spicy. The core of the food will be lamb and chicken kabobs for carnivores, and a vegan stew for people who can't eat the lamb or chicken. The meat will be halal, if that matters. There will also be a couple types of rice. (Just saying 'rice' is like saying wine is soured grape juice. Persian rice is not your Aunt Gerty's boiled rice.) If there is health-related dietary stuff to sort out, discuss it with me offline.

- There are dogs in the house. (Though they won't be joining us for the tasting!) That's an alert for people with allergies.

- Since we are talking about thirty wines, once bubbly and dessert are counted, please consider Uber or a hotel. There is a decent, if basic, hotel within walking distance. Sparky posted here about local hotels for people who want to stay over.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

The date is marked.
Now, hoping there won't be some 'event' at work the spins out of control

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 295 Private Messages cortot20

Holy crap... this sounds fun.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58

Come hell or high water I'm in and my +1.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

zTimothyBz

cortot20 wrote:Holy crap... this sounds fun.

So does that mean you should be on the interest list?

tytiger58 wrote:Come hell or high water I'm in and my +1.

Is your +1 for the tasting, too, for just for the dinner part? (It's been so long, I don't remember how much into wine she is.)

tytiger58

zTimothyBz wrote:Is your +1 for the tasting, too, for just for the dinner part? (It's been so long, I don't remember how much into wine she is.)

She will be tasting too

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

Interested to join tasting

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Very tempting. We could catch a 6:05 flight Friday from BUF, and get into LAX at 10:35, then fly home Sunday. Quite a bit cheaper if we stayed until Monday, though. Have to give it some thought. Our palates have experienced a good bit of training since that Chicago soirée 8 years ago, but the idea of some "training" does have its appeal. We may decide to do that even if we can't make the trip.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm

Oh, wow! This sounds like an AMAZING opportunity!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

Wow...definitely interested, but need to figure out the $. Not sure if molarchae would also taste.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz

Too rich for my blood....sounds fun though!

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Too rich for my blood....sounds fun though!

Don't recall exactly the 25 year was at Cathy's, but worth every penny.
Expect this one will be too.

CT

cortot20

zTimothyBz wrote:Is your +1 for the tasting, too, for just for the dinner part? (It's been so long, I don't remember how much into wine she is.)

Interested, yes. But cannot afford it.
I would sacrifice a bottle to taste a bunch of others but not outright pay $200+.

CT

zTimothyBz

ddeuddeg wrote:Quite a bit cheaper if we stayed until Monday, though. Have to give it some thought.

I'd suggest Sunday could be the Getty Center or the gardens at the Huntington Library.

With Cathy getting the recognition she deserves, she is busier than ever. When we got talking about this, the April date was the only place to get on her calendar this year. Not being a wine professional, I'm unlikely to get another chance to see her in such a relatively small group again.

rjquillin wrote:Don't recall exactly the 25 year was at Cathy's, but worth every penny.
Expect this one will be too.

I think it was $350. And Cathy was wonderful about spending each flight with a different group in the room. (As did William Martin, her husband, and the chef, whose name I don't recall.) But that was 50 people?

cortot20 wrote:Interested, yes. But cannot afford it.
I would sacrifice a bottle to taste a bunch of others but not outright pay $200+.

No worries. This will be closer to a formal tasting that the typical woot gathering. So it may not be your thing.

javadrinker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages javadrinker

Thanks for the e-mail TB. CoffeeMate and I are in!!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

rjquillin

javadrinker wrote:Thanks for the e-mail TB. CoffeeMate and I are in!!!!

You know, if you'd hang out here just a bit more...

CT

merbill

quality posts: 40 Private Messages merbill

It's somewhat ironic that I'm holding a Corison for you.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Basket of Chocolate x 24
First Grape Debater

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Making it even harder to resist.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:Making it even harder to resist.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

zTimothyBz

Now that I have a better idea of some costs, I'm lowering the buy-in to $240, and I'll keep seeing what I can do on that front.

Now $20 isn't going to make a real difference for anyone who is traveling to attend, but I'm not planning on making any money on this. (I'm not in a position to drop a wad of cash on you lovely people, either.) Back in January, I told Cathy that if by some miracle I came out ahead, I'd donate the amount to the charity of her choice.

Also, I'm going to give things another week or so here and then let some non-woot people know about the tasting.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
zTimothyBz wrote:Now that I have a better idea of some costs, I'm lowering the buy-in to $240, and I'll keep seeing what I can do on that front.

Now $20 isn't going to make a real difference for anyone who is traveling to attend, but I'm not planning on making any money on this. (I'm not in a position to drop a wad of cash on you lovely people, either.) Back in January, I told Cathy that if by some miracle I came out ahead, I'd donate the amount to the charity of her choice.

Also, I'm going to give things another week or so here and then let some non-woot people know about the tasting.

PM for you

tenuki

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki

Bleh, not sure I can commit to making it down there but add me to the interested list!

CT

klezman

Really hoping to figure this out. If so, it'd be 1 all in and 1 for dinner.

rjquillin

tenuki wrote:Bleh, not sure I can commit to making it down there but add me to the interested list!

Just do it.
Be good to see you again.

CT

tenuki

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki
rjquillin wrote:Just do it.
Be good to see you again.

Leaning towards it, would be a rare opportunity.

CT

merbill

quality posts: 40 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:Really hoping to figure this out. If so, it'd be 1 all in and 1 for dinner.

Same here.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Basket of Chocolate x 24
First Grape Debater

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:Leaning towards it, would be a rare opportunity.

Lean more!

You can see klezman & molarchae's new digs plus the new MiniKlez!

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

Would that 3L bubbly from TyT fit in with this?

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:Would that 3L bubbly from TyT fit in with this?

Its already 2.7 bottles per person why not make it a solid 3.

CT

klezman

Arithmetic question - up to you say 3 flights of 3 wines. That's 9. So is it 3 flights of 3 wines at 3 different times, or is it going to be 9 distinct flights of 3? Or some other arrangement?

zTimothyBz

klezman wrote:Arithmetic question - up to you say 3 flights of 3 wines. That's 9. So is it 3 flights of 3 wines at 3 different times, or is it going to be 9 distinct flights of 3? Or some other arrangement?

3 sets of 3 flights with breaks between the sets.

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:3 sets of 3 flights with breaks between the sets.

... of three wines/set/flight it would seem.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith

This would be soooooo awesome! If it is a possibility for us MidWestern types to join, we may have to look into it. Which airport would I fly into?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

zTimothyBz

otolith wrote:This would be soooooo awesome! If it is a possibility for us MidWestern types to join, we may have to look into it. Which airport would I fly into?

Depends on which airline is most convenient for you. Long Beach (LGB) is the closest. SNA, LAX, ONT and BUR also work.

There is a decent, if basic, hotel walking distance from my place. But if you are coming to SoCal, you might want to add on a day or so. (For example, you might twist Sparky's arm about a visit to the Stone Brewery in San Diego.) At that point you'd be renting a car, because we basically invented freeways.

cortot20 wrote:Its already 2.7 bottles per person why not make it a solid 3.

That may be a slight exaggeration, Mr. Trump. But this will be an event that requires swish and spit.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:This would be soooooo awesome! If it is a possibility for us MidWestern types to join, we may have to look into it. Which airport would I fly into?

There's several hotels by LGB (newly upgraded terminal) or downtown LB.

Family can visit the LB Aquarium downtown. We also have a Ballast Point (along with some other micro-breweries), so a 2 hour drive down to San Diego for Stone isn't necessary (closer company store in Pasadena).

LAX is probably cheapest, LGB is closest, and John Wayne (SNA) in Orange County is about the same distance as LAX, but more $$. Ontario and Burbank are farther out.

Edit: Don't forget the parks ... Universal Studios in Burbank area, Knotts Berry Farm and Disney Parks (Disneyland and California Adventure) in OC, and Six Flags in Valencia.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

Add WD and WF to the interest list.

x20             

tytiger58

zTimothyBz wrote:That may be a slight exaggeration, Mr. Trump. But this will be an event that requires swish and spit.

Ugghh I don't mind swishing Cathy's wines but I never spit them!

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:There's several hotels by LGB (newly upgraded terminal) or downtown LB.

Family can visit the LB Aquarium downtown. We also have a Ballast Point (along with some other micro-breweries), so a 2 hour drive down to San Diego for Stone isn't necessary (closer company store in Pasadena).

LAX is probably cheapest, LGB is closest, and John Wayne (SNA) in Orange County is about the same distance as LAX, but more $$. Ontario and Burbank are farther out.

Edit: Don't forget the parks ... Universal Studios in Burbank area, Knotts Berry Farm and Disney Parks (Disneyland and California Adventure) in OC, and Six Flags in Valencia.

I'm thinking time away with SWMBO and no kids.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Family can visit the LB Aquarium downtown. We also have a Ballast Point (along with some other micro-breweries), so a 2 hour drive down to San Diego for Stone isn't necessary (closer company store in Pasadena).

Or a bit over an hour if you carefully select your travel time.
Sea World and the zoo down here, but Oto knows that from an earlier visit.

CT

klezman

klezman wrote:Really hoping to figure this out. If so, it'd be 1 all in and 1 for dinner.

Leaning towards yes...gotta be on the list for this amazing event!