jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

Will be arriving SFO mid Jan and driving up to Petaluma for 2 nights. Definitely plan to stop at Pedroncelli and Wellington. Also see several others that interest me , but with the very limited time , would appreciate a couple "must stop " places in that vicinity. Thanks , Jim

losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz
jamesozzello wrote:Will be arriving SFO mid Jan and driving up to Petaluma for 2 nights. Definitely plan to stop at Pedroncelli and Wellington. Also see several others that interest me , but with the very limited time , would appreciate a couple "must stop " places in that vicinity. Thanks , Jim

You're centrally located! What varietals do you prefer? I've been to Sonoma many times and it would help with recs...youre going to love it!

"The older I get the better I was"

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
jamesozzello wrote:Will be arriving SFO mid Jan and driving up to Petaluma for 2 nights. Definitely plan to stop at Pedroncelli and Wellington. Also see several others that interest me , but with the very limited time , would appreciate a couple "must stop " places in that vicinity. Thanks , Jim

You should probably go the long way through Sebastopol and stop at Iron Horse on your way to Pedroncelli - making it a loop back down 101 to 12 towards Wellington. Might want to stop at Foppiano (for Petite Sirah and Pinot Noir, increasingly) on the way down 101 below Healdsburg.

You don't want to miss going over to Napa to see both Corison and Bell. You need to make an appointment at Corison. Tell 'em rpm sent you.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jamesozzello

losthighwayz wrote:You're centrally located! What varietals do you prefer? I've been to Sonoma many times and it would help with recs...youre going to love it!

I tend to zins,syrahs,some cabs and barberas,malbec , but I'm pretty open.Only been a wino for about 10 years,so making discoveries all the time. Terry does mostly sauv and chenin blancs,and loves her Gruet ,but recently has been finding more reds that she enjoys. The cab francs we have been seeing so much more of lately,for instance.Thanks for jumping in. Jim

jamesozzello

rpm wrote:You should probably go the long way through Sebastopol and stop at Iron Horse on your way to Pedroncelli - making it a loop back down 101 to 12 towards Wellington. Might want to stop at Foppiano (for Petite Sirah and Pinot Noir, increasingly) on the way down 101 below Healdsburg.

You don't want to miss going over to Napa to see both Corison and Bell. You need to make an appointment at Corison. Tell 'em rpm sent you.

Will have to get back to my map to confirm what I'm remembering as to your route suggestions,but I believe that the overall route is what I had in mind. Haven't tried Ironhorse and don't remember seeing it while looking at my route options ,but will look it up. The offers I've seen here from them have been a little out of my comfort range , if I remember correctly. Will also look at the others and spot them on my map . Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to this jaunt and should have made it much longer , but will work with what I have. Thanks Jim

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
jamesozzello wrote:Will have to get back to my map to confirm what I'm remembering as to your route suggestions,but I believe that the overall route is what I had in mind. Haven't tried Ironhorse and don't remember seeing it while looking at my route options ,but will look it up. The offers I've seen here from them have been a little out of my comfort range , if I remember correctly. Will also look at the others and spot them on my map . Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to this jaunt and should have made it much longer , but will work with what I have. Thanks Jim

Iron Horse is well worth the detour, especially since your wife likes bubbly. Perfect chance to try a variety of their sparkling (and still) wines with no obligation to buy. Then you will be able to better determine if you can expand your comfort zone to accommodate some of their future woot offers.

jamesozzello

chipgreen wrote:Iron Horse is well worth the detour, especially since your wife likes bubbly. Perfect chance to try a variety of their sparkling (and still) wines with no obligation to buy. Then you will be able to better determine if you can expand your comfort zone to accommodate some of their future woot offers.

Yes , looks like an easy detour and well worthwhile. Believe we will do it and I will just hope I don't create a monster. Terry has no problem pushing me out of my comfort zone on anything, and I've been guilty of spending a bit more than I should on a few things , so, done deal, consequences be damned.

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

For any (all) of those stops, be sure to mention WW. Pretty sure it will save you a few $$ at Pedroncelli, and if lucky others as well.
Just took a '12 Foppiano PS to a company luncheon yesterday and was surprised how many liked it (being as young and tannic as it was) but the fruit did shine.

CT

jamesozzello

rjquillin wrote:For any (all) of those stops, be sure to mention WW. Pretty sure it will save you a few $$ at Pedroncelli, and if lucky others as well.
Just took a '12 Foppiano PS to a company luncheon yesterday and was surprised how many liked it (being as young and tannic as it was) but the fruit did shine.

Foppiano looks like a good stop and counting on Pedroncelli . Buy from them on a semi regular basis on top of the woot offers and believe we get club pricing and half off shipping. I got an email yesterday for a holiday case deal from them that some may want to check out , if you haven't already seen it. I often mention WW to anyone who will listen , and will definitely do so again. One never knows if it will get new wines to my area or on Woot.

jamesozzello

rpm wrote:You should probably go the long way through Sebastopol and stop at Iron Horse on your way to Pedroncelli - making it a loop back down 101 to 12 towards Wellington. Might want to stop at Foppiano (for Petite Sirah and Pinot Noir, increasingly) on the way down 101 below Healdsburg.

Iron Horse and Foppiano are in . Maybe Bell , but I'm afraid I'd choke and spill if I spent the dollars for a Corison. My taste buds just aren't that good.

rpm

jamesozzello wrote:Iron Horse and Foppiano are in . Maybe Bell , but I'm afraid I'd choke and spill if I spent the dollars for a Corison. My taste buds just aren't that good.

Corison may well be one of the best values for money in Napa and Sonoma combined. Not inexpensive, but Cabernet that will hold its own with anything made anywhere in the world for half what other Napa wines of its quality command, and at a fraction of what similar quality wines from Bordeaux go for, even as futures.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jamesozzello

rpm wrote:Corison may well be one of the best values for money in Napa and Sonoma combined. Not inexpensive, but Cabernet that will hold its own with anything made anywhere in the world for half what other Napa wines of its quality command, and at a fraction of what similar quality wines from Bordeaux go for, even as futures.

Will reconsider. At least a tasting. Have appreciated your input over the last few years and put some faith in that, including your pull lots of corks and remember. I'm pretty good with the first part, need some work on the second. Thanks for your input. Both here and on the dailies. Jim

2schmoos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2schmoos

Just my $.02

Been a "Wooter" for 9+ years and fortunate to have bought, fell in love with, and saved a bunch of Corison (2001-2003 vintages) when offered on here back in the day for $60 a pair.

When we were able to make the trek to Napa last summer from NE Ohio, I made it a priority to call Corison several months in advance to book a tasting - to the tune of $55 per person for 4 of us, even after mentioning woot and our long time love of their wines.

When we arrived, we were the only folks there but for our guide who gave us a quick 10 minute tour of the vineyard and the barrel room. He seated us with just 3 wines to taste: 2003, 2006, and 2010, all Corison cabs, no Kronos, and all were unavailable to purchase. In fact, maybe a handful of the entire Cab portfolio was available to purchase.

Our guide seated us with our poured wines and offered no insight nor did he make himself available for questions or conversation. He quickly made his way back to the computer and all but ignored us except for when we finished and got up to leave.

It seemed like the best places at which to visit and taste were those that we stumbled on, didn't overcharge and under deliver, and truly took an interest in us instead of a computer.

"That was a defining moment... Either you define the moment or the moment defines you."

~ Roy "Tin Cup" McElvoy

rpm

2schmoos wrote:Just my $.02

Been a "Wooter" for 9+ years and fortunate to have bought, fell in love with, and saved a bunch of Corison (2001-2003 vintages) when offered on here back in the day for $60 a pair.

When we were able to make the trek to Napa last summer from NE Ohio, I made it a priority to call Corison several months in advance to book a tasting - to the tune of $55 per person for 4 of us, even after mentioning woot and our long time love of their wines.

When we arrived, we were the only folks there but for our guide who gave us a quick 10 minute tour of the vineyard and the barrel room. He seated us with just 3 wines to taste: 2003, 2006, and 2010, all Corison cabs, no Kronos, and all were unavailable to purchase. In fact, maybe a handful of the entire Cab portfolio was available to purchase.

Our guide seated us with our poured wines and offered no insight nor did he make himself available for questions or conversation. He quickly made his way back to the computer and all but ignored us except for when we finished and got up to leave.

It seemed like the best places at which to visit and taste were those that we stumbled on, didn't overcharge and under deliver, and truly took an interest in us instead of a computer.

I hope you e-mailed Cathy about your experience... not like any visit I've ever had there, or anyone else I know has had.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

2schmoos

rpm wrote:I hope you e-mailed Cathy about your experience... not like any visit I've ever had there, or anyone else I know has had.

I did and was simply refunded my tasting fee.

"That was a defining moment... Either you define the moment or the moment defines you."

~ Roy "Tin Cup" McElvoy

2schmoos

rpm wrote:I hope you e-mailed Cathy about your experience... not like any visit I've ever had there, or anyone else I know has had.

I e-mailed the winery and was simply refunded my tasting fee. Never heard from Cathy.

Most anticipated tasting & visit turned out to be the most disappointing of the trip.

~ Roy "Tin Cup" McElvoy

jamesozzello

Too bad it was such a disappointing experience. I've been trying not to overhype the upcoming experience in my own mind for those very reasons. Just because I like and buy their wines doesn't mean I will be treated as a long lost brother, but it will be good because we will make it so. I'm going to still consider them , but now its a matter of figuring out time constraints . Thanks for your .02

anderon007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anderon007

I agree you should visit Iron Horse, especially if it Sunday as they have the BBQ oysters and bubbly going on. Yumm.
If you are staying in Petaluma do yourself a favor and head south east to Robledo in South Sonoma. You won't regret it. If able to head north towards Dry Creek outside of Healdsburg try and visit Truett Hurst and Papapietro Perry for boutique Pinots. Just thought I'd throw out some lesser known but phenomenal choices

anderon007

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

If you are going to be in Napa (Corison), check with Scott Harvey to see if they will be around. You won't be sorry!

Zins, and Cabs, and more, Oh My!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jamesozzello

anderon007 wrote:I agree you should visit Iron Horse, especially if it Sunday as they have the BBQ oysters and bubbly going on. Yumm.
If you are staying in Petaluma do yourself a favor and head south east to Robledo in South Sonoma. You won't regret it. If able to head north towards Dry Creek outside of Healdsburg try and visit Truett Hurst and Papapietro Perry for boutique Pinots. Just thought I'd throw out some lesser known but phenomenal choices

Robledo,Truet,Papapietro,noted on my googlemap. Will be driving right past a couple of them .Really should have given myself more time for all these good suggestions.

jamesozzello

MarkDaSpark wrote:If you are going to be in Napa (Corison), check with Scott Harvey to see if they will be around. You won't be sorry!

Zins, and Cabs, and more, Oh My!

Would really like to do Scott Harvey and Vino Nocetto , but I'm thinking it would be quite a stretch. May have to save them for next time.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jamesozzello wrote:Would really like to do Scott Harvey and Vino Nocetto , but I'm thinking it would be quite a stretch. May have to save them for next time.

You can say that again! Vino Noceto is in Amador!

But Scott and Jana live in St. Helena, not far from Corison.

Gott's Roadside is a treat, and down the street (in St. Helena).

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

strongry

quality posts: 3 Private Messages strongry
jamesozzello wrote:Iron Horse and Foppiano are in . Maybe Bell , but I'm afraid I'd choke and spill if I spent the dollars for a Corison. My taste buds just aren't that good.

Smart. Iron Horse cannot be missed. I know you are getting tons of suggestions, but if you are making the detour to Iron Horse, I would certainly go to Merry Edwards. You would likely drive right by it. Their stuff is delicious and top notch, yet their tasting room is very down to earth. I think tastings are free, too...

http://www.merryedwards.com/winery/

When my wife and I just stopped by on a whim after going to Iron Horse, we found the staff to be very friendly. The young woman at the front desk gave us some great overall advice about visiting Sonoma.

rpm

MarkDaSpark wrote:You can say that again! Vino Noceto is in Amador!

Gott's is just not the same as when it was Taylor's Roadside Refresher....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jamesozzello

MarkDaSpark wrote:You can say that again! Vino Noceto is in Amador!

Live in , but not a tasting room , I assume ?
Hadn't even thought about eating while there. Probably should do that.

jamesozzello

strongry wrote:Smart. Iron Horse cannot be missed. I know you are getting tons of suggestions, but if you are making the detour to Iron Horse, I would certainly go to Merry Edwards. You would likely drive right by it. Their stuff is delicious and top notch, yet their tasting room is very down to earth. I think tastings are free, too...

http://www.merryedwards.com/winery/

When my wife and I just stopped by on a whim after going to Iron Horse, we found the staff to be very friendly. The young woman at the front desk gave us some great overall advice about visiting Sonoma.

Merry Edwards noted. My map ,in keeping with the season, is looking like a Christmas tree. Big gold stars everywhere .

mkorona

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mkorona

Glad this thread exists - gives me some good ideas - but going to hijack a bit to see if I can get some suggestions targeted to me (sorry OP for the hijack but seems timely instead of creating a new thread)

Might have the opportunity to do a 1 day trip on a Tuesday in March solo - land at SFO around 9a - rent a car, drive up to Napa or Sonoma, hit a few wineries, head back down and catch a flight out at 9pm. Looking for tips on 2-3 really good tasting experiences.

Bit of background info - 31 male, generally prefer the less mechanical/commerical tastings - I like when they don't mind pouring an extra taste or two because they have the bottles open and really want to give you a chance to compare (especially if its a vertical). Probably looking for reds only - cabs are my top choice, but I enjoy a good malbec, zin, PS, cab franc, petite verdot - syrah can be hit or miss and generally don't like most pinots. Lived in CA for a year and was member at Louis M. Martini in Napa, Opolo in Paso, and Oreana in Santa Barbara. Two trips to wine country 5-6 years ago - first time I was mainly a white drinker and know we did Jacuzzi, Cline, Foppiano, Coppola in Sonoma (maybe 1-2 others), and we did a day in Napa but don't recall where we went. Second trip was to Napa (red pref by then) and don't remember all of them but Martini and William Hill were my favorites - we did Tamber Bey twice because they had a delicious wine/cookie pairing, but we went back more for the cookies than the wine - I know we also went to V. Sattui and maybe 2 others. Favorites in the Paso area are Opolo and Justin. I am no expert when it comes to wine, but I appreciate a decent bottle ($30-100 range) - however my parents' daily drinkers are usually in the $7-10 range and I get along with those just fine (ravenswood, gnarly head, perseverance, etc). I also enjoy a late harvest zin and have bought a few of the woots from Harvest Moon over the years.

Sorry this post is getting long - in short, any recommendations of top 2-3 to hit in a single day in either valley (but grouped by either Sonoma or Napa) - thanks!!

klyphtihn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klyphtihn
mkorona wrote:Glad this thread exists - gives me some good ideas - but going to hijack a bit to see if I can get some suggestions targeted to me (sorry OP for the hijack but seems timely instead of creating a new thread)

Might have the opportunity to do a 1 day trip on a Tuesday in March solo - land at SFO around 9a - rent a car, drive up to Napa or Sonoma, hit a few wineries, head back down and catch a flight out at 9pm. Looking for tips on 2-3 really good tasting experiences.

Bit of background info - 31 male, generally prefer the less mechanical/commerical tastings - I like when they don't mind pouring an extra taste or two because they have the bottles open and really want to give you a chance to compare (especially if its a vertical). Probably looking for reds only - cabs are my top choice, but I enjoy a good malbec, zin, PS, cab franc, petite verdot - syrah can be hit or miss and generally don't like most pinots. Lived in CA for a year and was member at Louis M. Martini in Napa, Opolo in Paso, and Oreana in Santa Barbara. Two trips to wine country 5-6 years ago - first time I was mainly a white drinker and know we did Jacuzzi, Cline, Foppiano, Coppola in Sonoma (maybe 1-2 others), and we did a day in Napa but don't recall where we went. Second trip was to Napa (red pref by then) and don't remember all of them but Martini and William Hill were my favorites - we did Tamber Bey twice because they had a delicious wine/cookie pairing, but we went back more for the cookies than the wine - I know we also went to V. Sattui and maybe 2 others. Favorites in the Paso area are Opolo and Justin. I am no expert when it comes to wine, but I appreciate a decent bottle ($30-100 range) - however my parents' daily drinkers are usually in the $7-10 range and I get along with those just fine (ravenswood, gnarly head, perseverance, etc). I also enjoy a late harvest zin and have bought a few of the woots from Harvest Moon over the years.

Sorry this post is getting long - in short, any recommendations of top 2-3 to hit in a single day in either valley (but grouped by either Sonoma or Napa) - thanks!!

Although the "feel" of Sonoma may be right for you, if you're not a fan of Pinot/Chardonnay, I may have to recommend going over to Napa.

+1 for Corison and Hall, of course.

If you like Howell Mountain fruit, I'd like to recommend Bremer Family Winery. Great cab and a rare no tasting fee in Napa Valley. Also, since you're up the hill, you may consider checking out Ladera. They used to offer wines here on WW as well. Their estate was recently sold to Plumpjack/CADE so may be the last time to visit the tasting room up there until they relocate.

klyphtihn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klyphtihn
jamesozzello wrote:Merry Edwards noted. My map ,in keeping with the season, is looking like a Christmas tree. Big gold stars everywhere .

+1 for Merry. Relatively close to Iron Horse.

rjquillin

~redacted for inaccuracy~
Corison; absolutely.
And Bell is highly recommended for their Clone 6. Anthony just does things right.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Most of the vets on the '12 tour had a very meh opinion of Hall.
The noob's had a different take.
Personally, I'd not go there again.
Corison; absolutely.
And Bell is highly recommended for their Clone 6. Anthony just does things right.

The noobs didn't go to Hall, perhaps you're thinking of Robert Craig? I really dug their Howell Mountain Cab but I think the vets said they were turned off by the "sales first" approach of the winery reps.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:The noobs didn't go to Hall, perhaps you're thinking of Robert Craig? I really dug their Howell Mountain Cab but I think the vets said they were turned off by the "sales first" approach of the winery reps.

Bingo. It was past my sack time last night and I should have known better.

CT

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

This was written ages ago, but I figured I'd chime in and say that I had a very similar experience.

My first tasting at Corison -- years and years ago -- was wonderful. My most recent experience was quite decidedly not.