bahwm

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bahwm

Updates being made 1.10.17 8:07 PM!

Hi All! Here's the link to the 2016 Icewine Festive Website: Icewine Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. The majority of those who are interested/able to come voted for the weekend of January 13-15.

Here is a link to the wineries and their offerings: Icewine Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada

We can showcase Buffalo foods on Friday, January 13th, if people are able to arrive at a decent hour. Or, we could order local pizza and wings and then, have one of ddeuddeg's cheesecakes and do an Icewine warmup at our house. Icewining on Saturday followed by Bubbly and Sushi for dinner on Saturday evening and whatever on Sunday. We have plenty of new breweries and distilleries that are making their presences felt in Buffalo. We could check out some of them on Sunday or go play in the snow! Then, travel home/recoup on Monday or whatever works for you!

Possible lodging options:
Staybridge Suites on Slade Ave in West Seneca
is about 2.2 miles from our house.

The Hampton Inn Buffalo Southseems to have some decent rates, too. It's just down the block from The Staybridge Suites.

The Comfort Inn Hotel on Dingens Streetseems to have some decent rates, too. PolarBear has stayed here. Nothing fancy, but not too far away.

The Best Western Plus Inn of Lackawanna
is a little farther, by about 2 minutes (in the opposite direction). PolarBear, justplainjulie and wkdpanda have stayed here. So have we. It is a good place and close by.

Newly opened a few summers ago, the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Buffalo but there is an $18 per night valet parking fee.

Friday evening carousing:
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.chipgreen
4.chipgreen's +1

Icewining:
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.tiger7610
4.justinrsanderson
5.katysanderson
6.penny

Bubbly & Sushi at Seabar:
COST: $45 per person plus tax & tip. We are still working on corkage. There may be a $10 per bottle fee.
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.tiger7610
4.chipgreen
5.chipgreen's +1
6.penny
7.brett
8.meg

Sunday Brunch:
ATTENDEES:

Maybes:
1.randysanders
2.randysanders +1
3.north316

Regrets:
1.virgil
2.monica
3.klezman
4.molarchae
5.tiger7610's +1
6.tiger7610's+2

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz
bahwm wrote:Hi All! We are looking at the weekends of Jan 14 or 21, 2017 for this year's gathering. I'm still waiting on a response from Mike from SeaBar to see if we can do Bubbly & Sushi again. So, who's in for a weekend of wining and dining?

We would be interested in the 21.. no sushi as usual.....

Virgil and Monica

molarchae

quality posts: 5 Private Messages molarchae

One of these years! But it definitely won't be 2017... at least I'll be able to partake in both bubbly and sushi again by then, even if from afar.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

But, if we want to start figuring on something for early April 2017, closer to Toronto we should talk

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 26 Private Messages mommadeb1

Hmm.. wondering if I can convince Mr. Mommadeb that we need to attend?

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Hmm.. wondering if I can convince Mr. Mommadeb that we need to attend?

Yes, you should. I bet you can get a direct flight here.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

klezman wrote:But, if we want to start figuring on something for early April 2017, closer to Toronto we should talk

What dates are you thinking about? Would love to see you guys and your baby! Don't forget: we do a lot of singing during Holy Week. Also, Easter just happens to be on my birthday in 2017.

tiger7610

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm a maybe, will know closer to the dates

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Unfortunately, I think we're going to miss this year. Its always a fun weekend, but other plans are taking priority right now.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

klezman

bahwm wrote:What dates are you thinking about? Would love to see you guys and your baby! Don't forget: we do a lot of singing during Holy Week. Also, Easter just happens to be on my birthday in 2017.

Good Friday looks like it's April 14 - in the middle of Passover, as it should be. We'll be there before then - cousin is getting married on the 2nd. And of course we'd love for you guys to meet the little guy!

chipgreen

quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen

Our attendance may be contingent upon the dinner since we are once again unlikely to venture into Canada. Did you decide which weekend yet? That may also play a role but we are tentatively planning on making the trip.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I'm starting to wonder if this idea has simply run its course. There is virtually no interest being shown in this as a weekend event this year. Maybe we should think about skipping it this time, and try again next year.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:I'm starting to wonder if this idea has simply run its course. There is virtually no interest being shown in this as a weekend event this year. Maybe we should think about skipping it this time, and try again next year.

We enjoy spending the weekend even though we haven't gone ice-wining yet. I get my fix on preview night at your house and look forward to the sushi/bubbles dinner all year. Also enjoy hitting up a local brunch spot with you on our way out of town. I've spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about which bubbles to bring (but still haven't decided).

Still 6-7 weeks away, lots of time for others to chime in. Hopefully North will express an interest this year. If it was me, I'd probably just be thinking about starting the thread now, haha.

tiger7610

This is still a little ways out, also my brother and his +1 might be interested if they are in town that weekend. I know last year he expressed sadness that I did not invite him. So at the very least he is interested in the dinner.

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:We enjoy spending the weekend even though we haven't gone ice-wining yet. I get my fix on preview night at your house and look forward to the sushi/bubbles dinner all year. Also enjoy hitting up a local brunch spot with you on our way out of town. I've spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about which bubbles to bring (but still haven't decided).

Still 6-7 weeks away, lots of time for others to chime in. Hopefully North will express an interest this year. If it was me, I'd probably just be thinking about starting the thread now, haha.

It's unlikely for us as the wife will be in her final semester of nursing school (which is what has prevented us from attending the last two years). Unless the stars align and the timing works out, we are likely out until next year, though I have debated trying to swing a mini trip just by myself for the dinner.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg

I wasn't really trying to "shake the trees," but I see there's a bit of interest. Let's see if this makes any difference: the weekend of January 28th has just become available. The Holiday Ball our dance studio had scheduled for Saturday night has been cancelled. It seems that when they contacted the venue to firm up the date, they had already scheduled a wedding reception. Our instructor spent about a third of our lesson time last night whining about it, blaming the venue for not calling her first, thinking that after 3 years, we had an ironclad arrangement, despite having nothing in writing. Against all odds, I managed to hold my tongue. Anyway, if there's anyone out there who couldn't do the other 2 dates, but would be interested in this one, post away.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

tiger7610

28th does not work for me, but the 2 previous weekends do work. I'm only putting myself as a maybe just because one never knows what is going to happen in grad school, but i'm going to be going to the ice wine festival regardless

chipgreen

My better half has expressed interest in the weekend of the 14th. She cannot go the weekend of the 21st and her sister wants to throw a party on the 28th which would force us to choose between Buffalo and a Chinese New Year's bash. Any word from Mike as to his willingness/availability to present another wonderful sushi dinner?

tiger7610

I have the same problem with a 28th, I would be choosing between ice wine and chinese hotpot. I think I also prefer the 14th due to picking up people at the airport

ddeuddeg

wkdpanda wrote:Unfortunately, I think we're going to miss this year. Its always a fun weekend, but other plans are taking priority right now.

In that case, I'll hang onto the bottle of Joy I was thinking about bringing.
However, there will certainly be some nice Iron Horse on the table.
We have now settled on the 14th for the event, and have reserved the private room at Seabar. Alas, the lovely banquet room we used the last few years is no longer available. The food will be just as good, though.
Time for everyone to think seriously about committing; it's now just 4 weeks away.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

ddeuddeg wrote:In that case, I'll hang onto the bottle of Joy I was thinking about bringing.
However, there will certainly be some nice Iron Horse on the table.
We have now settled on the 14th for the event, and have reserved the private room at Seabar. Alas, the lovely banquet room we used the last few years is no longer available. The food will be just as good, though.
Time for everyone to think seriously about committing; it's now just 4 weeks away.

Have fun and take pictures! We all really love to see when Wooters get together for fun activities!

tiger7610

I'm in, I will try to convince my brother and his wife to come. I might try to bring a friend from ithaca as well

klezman

molarchae and I wish we could join. Too bad a 1-month old doesn't really make it easier to do that sort of thing. Maybe we can see y'all in early April when we're up in the general vicinity.

bahwm

klezman wrote:molarchae and I wish we could join. Too bad a 1-month old doesn't really make it easier to do that sort of thing. Maybe we can see y'all in early April when we're up in the general vicinity.

Hopefully. Message me the exact dates that you'll be out this way and we'll see what we can do. Do remember that it's probably easier to deal with a one-month old than a one year old for this activity!

chipgreen

We're in for meeting up Friday night, the Saturday dinner and perhaps a Sunday brunch? It'll probably be around 9pm before we can get there on Friday. Just a reminder - Nancy requires a non-sushi meal.

molarchae

quality posts: 5 Private Messages molarchae
bahwm wrote:Hopefully. Message me the exact dates that you'll be out this way and we'll see what we can do. Do remember that it's probably easier to deal with a one-month old than a one year old for this activity!

But a one year old can much more easily spend time with the grandparents!

randysanders

quality posts: 8 Private Messages randysanders

Hmmm, Glad I looked. We're a little closer now that we've moved to Syracuse, and it would sure be fun. Any advice/details...where to stay, timing of events, etc.?

bahwm

randysanders wrote:Hmmm, Glad I looked. We're a little closer now that we've moved to Syracuse, and it would sure be fun. Any advice/details...where to stay, timing of events, etc.?

Excellent! I started to do some updates earlier, bit the w.w. website was acting wonky and I gave up! 😕

chipgreen

We are booked at the Best Western for Fri/Sat nights. Mostly because we have grown fond of the coffee shop next door.

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

Looks like we'll miss this year - we can't be there on the 14th... We plan on going on the 21st....

Have fun!

Virgil and Monica

bahwm

vwsmaltz wrote:Looks like we'll miss this year - we can't be there on the 14th... We plan on going on the 21st....

Have fun!

Virgil and Monica

We'll miss you!

bahwm

Updates made to the first post.

tiger7610

Has anyone heard from Jsanderson? He usually always attends this event

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:Has anyone heard from Jsanderson? He usually always attends this event

Yep. I messaged him last night. I'm not sure one way or the other.

ddeuddeg

Folks,
We need to give a head count to the restaurant shortly, so if you're in for dinner on Saturday night, please sign on with that info ASAP.
Thanks.

tiger7610

Any specific info, or just that we are planning on attending?

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

Katy and I are looking forward to tasting throughout the day, but won't be able to make it to dinner.

I'd like to hit a couple of places we haven't been to before (or don't recall).

One isn't on the list; however, it's highly regarded: Thirty Bench.

That's right next to Fielding, but I think we were underwhelmed when we went there previously. Legends is close by and is pouring a Semillon, which would be interesting to try, I don't think I've had a Semillon ice wine before. I don't know much (anything?) about the pedigree of their wines, but they claim to be award winning.

Foreign Affair Winery also looks interesting, but is not participating....

Diamond Estates is pouring a Gewurz Ice Wine, which seems unique on the list.

There's a ton of Vidal being poured. That's pretty disappointing. There's a number of notable wineries not participating (Between the Lines), which is a bummer since it's always a favorite, and neat to see how their wine making has evolved as the brothers have aged and trained more.

Maybe we could split our time between participating wineries and non-participants, and just split 2 or 3 passes between the 5 of us tasting?

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

Ugh. Babysitter won't make it to our house until 11:30, so best case we'll be at a winery by 12:15. Not too far behind, but still behind.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

Hey, Guys! Those of you planning on Bubbly & Sushi: let us know what bubbly you are planning on bringing so that we don't have too much of the same!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 26 Private Messages mommadeb1

I am wishing we could be there... maybe next year....fingers crossed