MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Well Commish?

last year

And I still think we don't need to penalize kickers with -1 for missed kicks. Most don't have that many points to begin with.

Just a reminder from last year.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

And did anyone want to make our league a keeper or keep it the same?

We decided to discuss it this year.

I'm good either way.

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

merbill

quality posts: 41 Private Messages merbill

League renewed.

If anybody else wants in, post here. We always have some turnover.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
merbill wrote:League renewed.

If anybody else wants in, post here. We always have some turnover.

That'll cost you 2 pts.... each! To be deducted when playing Blindside Blitzen.

coynedj

quality posts: 11 Private Messages coynedj

I'll join. I'll also vote against it being a keeper league.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 11 QPs?

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote:And did anyone want to make our league a keeper or keep it the same?

We decided to discuss it this year.

I'm good either way.

Leaning towards no keepers. Too much of an administrative headache.

As for the kickers, my thinking is we penalize other positions for fumbles and interceptions, so we should penalize kickers when they miss "gimmie's" under 30 yards. Besides, anything that makes them worth less is a good thing. They are fungible.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

coynedj

How's the league looking? Do we have enough teams?

I got a notice for the deadline to select keepers - have we changed to a keeper league?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

chipgreen

If and when we do decide to have keepers, my personal preference would be to limit it to 2-3 players.

merbill

coynedj wrote:How's the league looking? Do we have enough teams?

I got a notice for the deadline to select keepers - have we changed to a keeper league?

It's hard to tell since the yahoo renewal this year assumes all of last year's teams are confirmed, as opposed to just invited. So we show 12 teams but I haven't heard from 2/3's of the league to really know if they intend to participate. It would be helpful if everybody who got a notice of the league renewal would confirm their intention to play this year with a yes or no either here or on the league message board. I don't want to start the year with any dead teams if I can help it.

For those wooters who may be interested in joining, we always have some room. Post your interest here or PM me. I also will accept friends of current managers - wine knowledge is not required, but it helps.

I do not expect to do keepers this year; I'm just putting off the final determination to the beginning of Sept in case there was a near unanimous call from the league to do it. If we ever do keepers, it would only be 1 or 2, but I need a league with a more stable roster of managers. We've never had 100% return before, because, you know, life happens.

Our live draft is tentatively set for Sun Sept 4 at 9:30 pm EST, 6:30 PST. We always draft the last weekend before the season starts, so its usually during Labor Day weekend. I can move it anywhere from Saturday morning to Monday night (if Yahoo still has slots available).

After the league starts, I'll see if we have enough interest to run the sidepot again this year. Last year Java won the 2011 Corison Cabernet, although he has yet to collect it. I'm giving him just 5 more years, then I'm drinking it.

Edit: fixed the EST time. Doh!

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

chipgreen

You can assign new managers to the dead teams but you probably knew that already...

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:....

Our live draft is tentatively set for Sun Sept 4 at 3:30 EST, 6:30 PST. We always draft the last weekend before the season starts, so its usually during Labor Day weekend. I can move it anywhere from Saturday morning to Monday night (if Yahoo still has slots available).

I think you meant 9:30 EST.

And I would prefer some time not around dinner. Especially not the last night down at the beach.

So Saturday or Sunday mornings, or Monday afternoon would work for me.

x20             

tenuki

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki

I'm in. Keepers might be cool, but I don't really care either way.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

Plan to be in. Don't want keepers with a league like this that changes so much. And I don't think I can do that well.

merbill

chipgreen wrote:You can assign new managers to the dead teams but you probably knew that already...

First, I - we - need to get new managers. We have 9 confirmed teams so far, so there's room for more.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

merbill

tenuki wrote:I'm in. Keepers might be cool, but I don't really care either way.

Tenuki - the yahoo ID associated with your team appears to be missing. Let me know if I have to work with you to transfer your team to a new ID.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:First, I - we - need to get new managers. We have 9 confirmed teams so far, so there's room for more.

Who whimped ... err, didn’t renew yet?

x20             

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz
merbill wrote:First, I - we - need to get new managers. We have 9 confirmed teams so far, so there's room for more.

I'm in

"The older I get the better I was"

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote:Who whimped ... err, didn’t renew yet?

Read the league message board. I've now heard from 11 of 12.

How's your son doing?

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

merbill

losthighwayz wrote:I'm in

That means every week, right?

Glad to have you back.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

tenuki

merbill wrote:Tenuki - the yahoo ID associated with your team appears to be missing. Let me know if I have to work with you to transfer your team to a new ID.

Weird, it shows me in the league. [MOD: Ooooh, no emails in public forums] , even posted in message board.

CT

merbill

We are locked and the draft is on for this Sunday evening. Good luck everyone!

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:We are locked and the draft is on for this Sunday evening. Good luck everyone!

Time?

x20             

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:Read the league message board. I've now heard from 11 of 12.

How's your son doing?

I was going to check with him, but it appears we don't need him.

x20             

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote:Time?

Draft tonight at 6:30 PST! Be there or be autopicked.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20
merbill wrote:Draft tonight at 6:30 PST! Be there or be autopicked.

Auto pick is usually better than what I pick.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Auto pick is usually better than what I pick.

I should just pick left-overs and give the others a better chance.

CT

merbill

rjquillin wrote:I should just pick left-overs and give the others a better chance.

So Master Ron, what wine goes best with a fantasy draft?

I think I'm going with the Vino Noceto Reserva.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

rjquillin

merbill wrote:So Master Ron, what wine goes best with a fantasy draft?

I think I'm going with the Vino Noceto Reserva.

Dunno.
But here's what we had, but now back to Darlington.
Lemme know how the Noceto is; seems like mixed opinions.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 32 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I suppose I should have just let Yahoo do the auto-draft....at least according to the D grade I got:

Draft Summary
Is someone going to put out that dumpster fire? Oh, whoops, that's not a dumpster fire that's the Wicked Wineaux roster. Easy mistake with a team that needs this much work. As the roster stands, Wicked Wineaux is projected to finish 12th in Return of the Wine Wooters League with a record of 1-12-0 (1,497 points). They went with a balanced approach early, selecting QB Aaron Rodgers (21st overall), RB C.J. Anderson (28th), WR Julio Jones (4th), and TE Travis Kelce (52nd) within the first five rounds. They also built one of the best QB duos in the league, as they added Rodgers and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Yikes. At least it can't get any worse. In fact, if you nominate yourself for the Toyota Hall Of Fame, you'll be an official nominee. Feel better?

Schedule
Wicked Wineaux can write off Week 11 as a scheduling injustice and use that time to consider other injustices: for example, why doesn't Chewbacca get a medal during the ceremony at the end of Star Wars? Wookie bias? They have four players and the most projected fantasy points on bye that week. Based on their opponents' projected points, they have one of the hardest slates. Along with the second-most taxing overall schedule, both the first four games and last four games of the season are pretty average for Wicked Wineaux.

Draft Notes
On Autopilot
Choosing which WRs to start should be pretty obvious most weeks for Wicked Wineaux, as projections show a healthy point difference between their third-ranked (Allen Hurns) and fourth-ranked (Mike Wallace) wideouts.

QB or Bust
Unfortunately, QB is the only strong position on Wicked Wineaux. Fortunately, there's always next year.

Drink Plenty of Milk
With an average of 7.7 years of NFL experience, Wicked Wineaux has the greatest chance of losing a player to osteoporosis.

Was That Auto-Draft?
Bad news for Wicked Wineaux: They accumulated the fewest projected points in the first half of the draft. Worse news: They accumulated the fewest projected points in the second half of the draft.

A Stretch of the Imagination
Grabbing Tim Hightower at pick 189 was, let's say, conceptually adventurous. Hightower is owned on just a handful of rosters across all Yahoo! leagues.

Mr. Irrelevant
In terms of projected points, the choice of Tim Hightower with the 189th pick gave Wicked Wineaux the worst pick of the final round. This Mr. Irrelevant gets no parade, unfortunately.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

I better worry. Best draft grade ever. Gave me the best draft, and picked to finish fifth.

Still angry with my laptop. All set up for first pick, happy to get #1. And somehow my cursor was on a random player and I got him. Just glad it was someone in the top 10. As I was starting to line up second pick, so could have been way down there.

It's all fun.

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Auto pick is usually better than what I pick.

But you get such hilarious comments on your draft as well! (As shown by Hak, who already posted his grade comments.)

After I had to drop out of the live draft (thanks merbill for picking the time I said was bad, and not Monday afternoon), it autopicked 2 kickers and 2 defences. And then mocked those picks in the grade!

IIRC, it did the same for someone last year, when they had to autopick.

x20             

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote: it autopicked 2 kickers and 2 defences. And then mocked those picks in the grade!

I love that. It's Jr High all over again.

Look, the draft grades are pretty much based on your yahoo projected points for your team, so the more you draft using their rankings, the better you grade. Note that 3 of the 5 top grades were given to the 3 fully-autopicked teams, because they were drafted by yahoo based on their algorithms. You are not rewarded for thinking differently. I'll take my B- with pride.

Kick-off is this Thursday and the free agent pool is open. Have your line-ups set in time. That's also the deadline for getting in your League Pick'em choices, for you overly competitive types. No prize except bragging rights, but that's more than enough.

Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

rjquillin

All this sounds entirely too complex to actually be fun.
Except for HAK's post.

CT

tenuki

I'm just like wow, my team isn't half bad for auto pick.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Payback is a b!tch! Even 8 years later.

Game ball to the highest score in our first week of fantasy football. That'll be the only time we see that from you. :D

Maulers got the third-highest point total by a player this week (29.20 points) from Devonta Freeman and clobbered Titans of Uranus 118.74 to 68.98.

x20             

MarkDaSpark

From Largest Margin of Victory to Smallest Margin of Defeat

Shoulda played Zach Miller!

Went from the weekly largest margin of victory to the smallest margin of defeat in one week!

"0.40-point margin of victory being the smallest recorded in the league this season"

x20             

coynedj

MarkDaSpark wrote:From Largest Margin of Victory to Smallest Margin of Defeat

Shoulda played Zach Miller!

Went from the weekly largest margin of victory to the smallest margin of defeat in one week!

"0.40-point margin of victory being the smallest recorded in the league this season"

If I had started ANY of my bench players over the RB and WR I hesitated over, who got me a whole 3.5 points combined, the margin woulda been wider!

But if I was the one who lost by 0.4, I'd be complaining too. Them's the breaks. This time it went my way - maybe we'll meet again in the playoffs.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:If I had started ANY of my bench players over the RB and WR I hesitated over, who got me a whole 3.5 points combined, the margin woulda been wider!

But if I was the one who lost by 0.4, I'd be complaining too. Them's the breaks. This time it went my way - maybe we'll meet again in the playoffs.

I had debated putting Miller in, then decided against. Missed out on 7.40 points (he scored 10.60 vs. Pitta's 3.20 pointts)!

x20             

MarkDaSpark

Carp!

Forgot to post these earlier!

x20             

javadrinker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages javadrinker

I'm creeping up on an 0-5 record. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.