rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin

Inspired by postings from Ddeuddeg & Bahwm.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson

Fool proof pasta recipe:
1/4 cup evoo or voo (your choice)
Add 4 - 6 cloves of garlic (smashed) and saute to point where they don't turn brown (1 minute)
Dice 1/2 lb. of cherry tomatoes and add to oil.
Saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp. of butter.
Add already cooked 3/4 lb. of al dente pasta of your choice.
Toss. Add julienned basil and grate parmesan cheese over all. Enjoy!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1

Bahwm: please post the salad recipe, I have lost my copy

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:Fool proof pasta recipe:
1/4 cup evoo or voo (your choice)
Add 4 - 6 cloves of garlic (smashed) and saute to point where they don't turn brown (1 minute)
Dice 1/2 lb. of cherry tomatoes and add to oil.
Saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp. of butter.
Add already cooked 3/4 lb. of al dente pasta of your choice.
Toss. Add julienned basil and grate parmesan cheese over all. Enjoy!

Interesting I thought I invented this recipe. Damn good just made it a couple nights ago.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm

Spinach and Roasted Garlic Salad Serves: 4

12 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 lb. baby spinach
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Romano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375°.
Place garlic cloves in a small baking dish or foil packet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and soft when pierced with a sharp knife. Remove from oven, remove garlic to a cutting board and chop into small pieces as best you can. Return chopped garlic to small bowl and add lemon juice. Mix together and set aside.

Meanwhile, place pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside. (We usually roast a whole cookie sheet gull of pine nuts and store in a glass jar.

Place spinach in a very large bowl. Add garlic in oil and lemon juice and toss until well-coated. Drizzle remaining 1/2 cup olive oil over spinach and toss until well-mixed and spinach leaves start to wilt a bit. Add freshly grated black pepper. Then, add Romano cheese and pine nuts and toss again. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan and serve. Top with a little additional Romano cheese.

Adaptation for 2:
5 – 6 garlic cloves, depending on size (pour 1 Tablespoon EVOO over garlic. Add a sprinkling of Kosher Salt before roasting garlic) (I roast the garlic for about 20 – 22 minutes and then, turn it over and give it another 2 minutes) + 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I often use the Sicilia brand in the yellow lemon-shaped plastic bottle)
+

Follow directions above.

¼ cup EVOO to be added to the 1 – 6 ounce bag of Baby Spinach

¼ cup toasted pine nuts

½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese (including enough for sprinkling

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Spinach and Roasted Garlic Salad Serves: 4

12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 lb. baby spinach
1/2 cup pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375°.
Place garlic cloves in a small baking dish or foil packet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and soft when pierced with a sharp knife. Remove from oven, remove garlic to a cutting board and chop into small pieces as best you can. Return chopped garlic to small bowl and add lemon juice. Mix together and set aside.

Meanwhile, place pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside. (We usually roast a whole cookie sheet gull of pine nuts and store in a glass jar.

Place spinach in a very large bowl. Add garlic in oil and lemon juice and toss until well-coated. Drizzle remaining 1/2 cup olive oil over spinach and toss until well-mixed and spinach leaves start to wilt a bit. Add freshly grated black pepper. Then, add Romano cheese and pine nuts and toss again. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan and serve. Top with a little additional Romano cheese.

Adaptation for 2:
5 – 6 garlic cloves, depending on size (pour 1 Tablespoon EVOO over garlic. Add a sprinkling of Kosher Salt before roasting garlic) (I roast the garlic for about 20 – 22 minutes and then, turn it over and give it another 2 minutes) + 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I often use the Sicilia brand in the yellow lemon-shaped plastic bottle)
+

Follow directions above.

¼ cup toasted pine nuts

Thanks!! How about the Beet with goat cheese? please!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:Spinach and Roasted Garlic Salad Serves: 4

12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 lb. baby spinach
1/2 cup pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375°.

Adaptation for 2:
+

Follow directions above.

¼ cup toasted pine nuts

Note: This may seem quite a generous amount to some, but this serving size is very much to our liking, and we'll typically have it a half hour to an hour after the main meal. It virtually demands a hearty red wine. As always, YMMV.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks!! How about the Beet with goat cheese? please!

As requested. PM me with your email address if you want a printable copy.

Roasted Beets, Greens and Goat Cheese Salad
Recipe Brought to you by FoodFit/Lifescript

This recipe serves: 4 Prep. time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour

Ingredients
For the vinaigrette:
2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper

For the salad:
2 medium beets, unpeeled
2 cups red or green lettuce leaf, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup goat cheese

Cooking Instructions
For the vinaigrette:
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed to combine.
2. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.

For the salad:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour.

2. Peel the beets when they are cool enough to handle but are still warm. Cut into wedges.

3. Toss the beets with half of the vinaigrette.

4. In another bowl, toss the greens with the remaining vinaigrette.

5. Arrange the greens on a serving plate. Place the beets on top of the greens.

6. Crumble the goat cheese and sprinkle over the top of the salad.

Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 5 ounces Calories 198; Total Fat 18 g;
Saturated Fat 4 g; Protein 5 g; Total Carbohydrate 6 g; Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sodium 133 mg; Percent Calories from Fat 78%; Percent Calories from Protein 10%; Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 12%

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:As requested. PM me with your email address if you want a printable copy.

I so remember this from a wooter gathering at Scott and Jany Harvey's digs some number of years ago.
Thanks!

CT

mommadeb1

Thank you Bahwm!!

bahwm

rjquillin wrote:I so remember this from a wooter gathering at Scott and Jany Harvey's digs some number of years ago.
Thanks!

I think I may have sent you a hard copy of this, way back when . . .

bahwm

OK, gang. Now, it's me asking for recipe advice. I don't usually do picnic fare. I know it's late, but I need this for tomorrow, yep, Wednesday. Nebraska cousins are in town and are having a picnic at a park from noon til who knows when. We have been asked to bring an appetizer or side dish to go with hot dogs and picnic fare. Not sure about hamburgers. Food ready times 1 PM and 6 PM. I don't think there will be electricity at the shelter. We can manage to keep things somewhat cold, but I would prefer items that do not require refrigeration. Of course, they want us to bring wine! I will cross-post in the epicurean thread. Thanks for your help.

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:OK, gang. Now, it's me asking for recipe advice. I don't usually do picnic fare. I know it's late, but I need this for tomorrow, yep, Wednesday. Nebraska cousins are in town and are having a picnic at a park from noon til who knows when. We have been asked to bring an appetizer or side dish to go with hot dogs and picnic fare. Not sure about hamburgers. Food ready times 1 PM and 6 PM. I don't think there will be electricity at the shelter. We can manage to keep things somewhat cold, but I would prefer items that do not require refrigeration. Of course, they want us to bring wine! I will cross-post in the epicurean thread. Thanks for your help.

Ingredients:
Car
Car Keys
Gasoline
Shopping Cart
Grocery Bag
Money

Directions:
Insert key into car's ignition
Turn key to start car
Make sure there is gas in the tank
Drive to the store
Grab a shopping cart
Find coleslaw and/or potato salad and/or macaroni salad
Put item(s) into cart
Proceed to checkout
Grab impulse tin of Altoids near the register
Pay for your items
Place items in grocery bag
Proceed to picnic location

bahwm

chipgreen wrote:Ingredients:
Car
Car Keys
Gasoline
Shopping Cart
Grocery Bag
Money

Directions:
Insert key into car's ignition
Turn key to start car
Make sure there is gas in the tank
Drive to the store
Grab a shopping cart
Find coleslaw and/or potato salad and/or macaroni salad
Put item(s) into cart
Proceed to checkout
Grab impulse tin of Altoids near the register
Pay for your items
Place items in grocery bag
Proceed to picnic location

Perfect!

bahwm

Pasta Salad with Mozzarella, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Olives

ddeuddeg found the pasta recipe online. Someone suggested saving some of the pasta water and pouring it over the pasta so that it isn't so dry. Here's the link, but we'll make that edit on our copy of the recipe. If anybody would like a printable copy, let us know. Be sure that you send your email in a PM. I am saving emails for those who have recently requested recipes. Oh, and I used the Vitamix for the dressing and finally broke out the 48 ounce container--smaller base. It worked great! I had to be careful that I didn't totally purée the dressing, they want it to be rather chunky with the sun-dried tomatoes.

Pasta Salad with Mozzarella, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Olives.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

So, a long time ago, in a thread far, far away ....

there lived a Wooter living on his own for the very first time. Never having cooked before, fellow Wooters sprang into action, creating .....

Easy Recipes for our boy Name redacted to protect the guilty

So if you burn water, this thread may be for you!

Edit: Also turns out there were others in the same boat!

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jmdavidson

MarkDaSpark wrote:So, a long time ago, in a thread far, far away ....

there lived a Wooter living on his own for the very first time. Never having cooked before, fellow Wooters sprang into action, creating .....

Easy Recipes for our boy Name redacted to protect the guilty

So if you burn water, this thread may be for you!

Edit: Also turns out there were others in the same boat!

Thanks for posting. First thing I noticed was that many of the names are not on WW any more. And...some still are.

jmdavidson

I am looking for some guidance with an electric smoker I just bought. I have used chips and pellets, including oak, mesquite and cherry. The smoked food (ribs, chicken, etc.) comes out smoky not like BBQ smoky. More like smoked salmon smoky. Any suggestions? BTW, the electric smoker does work great for lo and slo for making moist, fall off the bone pork ribs.

tiger7610

quality posts: 21 Private Messages tiger7610

i have a gas smoker, so polarbear might be better answer for electric. I know that really after 4 hours the meat does not really absorb as much smoke so it is possible that you might just have to remove the chips. Also I have read that mesquite has a very strong flavor, so normally I just stick to cherry apple or hickory

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

I was hoping Bowtie would chime in. I learned from him. I use chips. Make sure they are soaked first so they smolder and not burn. Most meats don't absorb more after 3 hours, so I stop adding chips and let it run down. I tend to use hickory the most, then cherry, apple and pecan. Only used mesquite once. And used some whiskey barrel chips that were oak, and just were smoke with no flavor.

jmdavidson

polarbear22 wrote:I was hoping Bowtie would chime in. I learned from him. I use chips. Make sure they are soaked first so they smolder and not burn. Most meats don't absorb more after 3 hours, so I stop adding chips and let it run down. I tend to use hickory the most, then cherry, apple and pecan. Only used mesquite once. And used some whiskey barrel chips that were oak, and just were smoke with no flavor.

My smoker has a side entry hole, which allows me to dump the chips/pellets into the heating tray. I have used only one half cup of chips/pellets, the chips were soaked before hand, and the ribs are still too "smoky." Any idea how I can get bbq smokey flavor?

tiger7610

quality posts: 21 Private Messages tiger7610

Did you use any dry rub on the ribs? Also what cut of ribs did you use? I would try it without mesquite, and only have the chips there for a few hours

jmdavidson

tiger7610 wrote:Did you use any dry rub on the ribs? Also what cut of ribs did you use? I would try it without mesquite, and only have the chips there for a few hours

The chips only smoke for about 15minutes and then I do not add any more. I use a rub, which I am satisfied with. I have cooked spare ribs and baby back.

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
jmdavidson wrote:My smoker has a side entry hole, which allows me to dump the chips/pellets into the heating tray. I have used only one half cup of chips/pellets, the chips were soaked before hand, and the ribs are still too "smoky." Any idea how I can get bbq smokey flavor?

I do find that my smoked meats are smokier than what I get at a BBQ place. They smoke in larger quantities, so the smoke is lighter. I would experiment with fewer chips and open the vents. That would reduce the amount of smoke exposure.

jmdavidson

polarbear22 wrote:I do find that my smoked meats are smokier than what I get at a BBQ place. They smoke in larger quantities, so the smoke is lighter. I would experiment with fewer chips and open the vents. That would reduce the amount of smoke exposure.

Good suggestion...thanks.

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
jmdavidson wrote:The chips only smoke for about 15minutes and then I do not add any more. I use a rub, which I am satisfied with. I have cooked spare ribs and baby back.

are you laying them flat? That increases the surface area available to the smoke. You could try a rib rack or use foil to make them stand vertical, and open the vent so the smoke passes through quicker. I generally don't do ribs cause, I dunno why, I love ribs? Anyway, when I do, do ribs I start with Mustard then the rub, then smoke them (flat), but I only do one round of smoke then foil them for the rest of the cook. Try that so they don't get any more smoke. I also like to take them out around 180 and stuff them in a cooler for a few hours, they come up to 190ish and get all super perfect that way. In the foil of course.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jmdavidson

bhodilee wrote:are you laying them flat? That increases the surface area available to the smoke. You could try a rib rack or use foil to make them stand vertical, and open the vent so the smoke passes through quicker. I generally don't do ribs cause, I dunno why, I love ribs? Anyway, when I do, do ribs I start with Mustard then the rub, then smoke them (flat), but I only do one round of smoke then foil them for the rest of the cook. Try that so they don't get any more smoke. I also like to take them out around 180 and stuff them in a cooler for a few hours, they come up to 190ish and get all super perfect that way. In the foil of course.

I do lie them flat and keep the vent open. Maybe I need to find a better chip/pellet. I have also seen other suggestions of smoking briefly and then putting the ribs in foil. So far, lo and slo with a pan of water inside the box has produced moist ribs.

rjquillin

x-port from a main thread DearNorth, Smoked Salmon (4)

Winedavid39 wrote:ok, I just spoke to my mom. here it is verbatim(over the phone):

Take a fork and crumple up salmon.

Get a white onion and grate finely- about a table spoon

A couple of shakes of red wine vinegar

Add mayonnaise to the consistency you want- Best foods

For a cup of salmon, you'd put in a quarter cup of mayonnaise

But make sure it's not too wet/moist

Adjust to taste, but it should have a little bite to it.

Recommend Ritz Crackers.

My mouth is watering as I write this..
CT

jmdavidson

With Mardi Gras approaching, I thought that it would be appropriate to post that the Jambalaya recipe on Scott Harvey's website is excellent.

rjquillin

Thanks JM

jmdavidson wrote:With Mardi Gras approaching, I thought that it would be appropriate to post that the Jambalaya recipe on Scott Harvey's website is excellent.

Go to Scott Harvey's website, look under recipes and you'll find the one I used. Highly recommended. I did grill the chicken, sausages and shrimp first. They were added after I made the rice portion of the recipe.

And for those challenged...
linky

by Jana Harvey on April 13, 2011

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons bacon fat
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced green peppers
5 tablespoons minced fresh jalapenos
4 ounces tomato paste
6 ounces Tasso (a seasoned pork) 1/4 inch dice
24 ounces sliced smoked sausage (1/4 inch slices)
12 ounces Andouille (1/4 inch dice)
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons ground black pepper
10 ounces boneless chicken thigh meat
12 ounces Rotel tomatoes
2 tablespoons Lea and Perrins
4 cups par boiled long grain rice
4 cups rich chicken stock
4 cups rich beef stock
4 teaspoons kosher salt
3 pounds (70-90) shrimp
3 cups sliced green onions
4 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Directions:
Heat the bacon fat in the sauce pot until almost smoking then the onions, celery, green bell peppers, garlic and jalapenos. Reduce the heat to medium high and saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, tasso, smoked sausage, Andouille sausage, basil, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes over medium high heat and stir occasionally. Add the chicken, tomatoes, Lea and Perrins, rice, chicken stock, beef stock and salt to the pot. Give everything a stir, cover and let simmer (over medium to low heat) and let cook for 30 minutes stirring 3 times on med to low heat. Add the shrimp to the pot, let cook for 10 minutes stirring 1 time during this process. Fold in the green onions and parsley and Enjoy!

CT

jmdavidson

As an alternative to the recipe posted above, grill the chicken, sausages and shrimp. After making the rest of the recipe, i.e the rice etc., add in the grilled items. Also, 3 cups of green onions is IMHO too much, so use according to your taste. 12oz of each sausage is plenty. Increase the chicken instead.