hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Picnic By The Pool #5

Sub Theme: Latin America. We haven't really focused on wines form those regions, so it seemed appropriate summertime faire. Columbia and Argentina are obvious but there are wines from other regions to be found.

Date: August 20
Time: 6:00pm -
Host: hershelk

I put in a 6:00 start time for people who want to jump in the pool, but I figure we will start drinking at 7:00. We will probably start drinking right away, but not the theme wines.

Coming
Hershelk [+6 (all prior attendees)] (flank steak and sausages to grill, cheese and bread, 2009 Montes Syrah Folly La Finca de Apalta)
- Debb and Martin
- Beth (spicy pulled pork barbacoa)
- Amy (Tannat from Uruguay, desert)
- Tara
- Maia ?
CJSiege (Chips, Guacamole, salsa)
DadofJenny (beef kabobs with Carignan wine from Chile)
ericindc (NV Bodegas Carrau Sust Brut Nature, 2014 Aranjuez, Torrontes-Moscatel, 2010 Vina Gonzalez Bastias Matorral Pais, 2 Galette - desert)

Hopeful
sukeiasa

Regrets
ddeuddeg
bahwm
mstein609
wkdpanda

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

As things stand now, I should be able to make any date EXCEPT Sept 4.

Of the remaining dates, August 13 would be my *least* preferred, as I may still be in need of catching up on laundry and sleep.

But I hear tell that sleep is overrated...

The rest of the dates are all equally good. Theme sounds intriguing!

Thanks so much!

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

what better way to catch up on sleep than a lot of wine?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Sept 3, August 20. My preferred dates, in order. I could also make two of the others (August 13, Sept 4), but not Sept 17th.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

I am currently leaning towards August 20th since I will just be returning form a trip the weekend of Sept 3rd. I'll give it a little longer for anyone to chime in.

CT

DadofJanny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DadofJanny

My preference is August 20.

TRIPgrad

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I can only make the 13th of August and the 17th of September.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
hershelk wrote:I am currently leaning towards August 20th since I will just be returning form a trip the weekend of Sept 3rd. I'll give it a little longer for anyone to chime in.

We're thinking about trying to make it. August 20th works best for us. September is definitely out, since we'll be back to work.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Unfortunately, the 20th is now out for us. A wedding we must attend in DC.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

OK. I am going to call this for August 20th. I know some people can't make it then and I apologize. I am now unavailable on the 13th and Labour Day weekend and September 17 is getting close to the Wilson Bridge Half Marathon which means a long run day. Hope to see you there. If you can make it, let me know what you plan to bring.

CT

cjsiege

I'm in.

ericindc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericindc

Hello!

I dont check the forum very often, but I am down for this. Also, I live right by a store that specializes in Latin wine.
http://www.grandcata.com

Its a great store. I would be happy to bring a couple extra for people that have a hard time finding wines from south america or Mexico.

hershelk

ericindc wrote:Hello!

I dont check the forum very often, but I am down for this. Also, I live right by a store that specializes in Latin wine.
http://www.grandcata.com

Its a great store. I would be happy to bring a couple extra for people that have a hard time finding wines from south america or Mexico.

Glad to have you. When it gets closer I'll shoot you the address.

CT

ericindc

Great! looking forward to it!

hershelk wrote:Glad to have you. When it gets closer I'll shoot you the address.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
hershelk wrote:Glad to have you. When it gets closer I'll shoot you the address.

Sadly, I'm afraid we won't be able to make it after all. Just too much going on.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

hershelk

ddeuddeg wrote:Sadly, I'm afraid we won't be able to make it after all. Just too much going on.

Oh, that's too bad. Maybe next time.

CT

DadofJanny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DadofJanny

I'm planning some beef kabobs with Carignan wine from Chile.

TRIPgrad

hershelk

We are getting close. Let me know what you plan to bring. Depending on what shows up, I have a couple of Malbecs from Argentina or a Syrah from Chile.

CT

cjsiege

Right now, I'm planning to bring guacamole, salsa, and chips for munchies. Not sure about what wine I'll be bringing. I'm trying to stay within my own stash....

Because I have this wine buying problem...

ericindc

I will bring a couple back-up bottles, but right now its:

NV Bodegas Carrau Sust Brut Nature (methode Champenoise, pinot-chard, Uruguay) - white sparkler

2014 Aranjuez, Torrontes-Moscatel, Tarija, Bolivia - white

2010 Vina Gonzalez Bastias Matorral Pais, Maule, Chile
-red
I'll have to think about food.

hershelk

I will get some more stuff for the grill and I have some cheeses and I'll get some baguettes. If you are looking for things to bring, sides, salads or desert. For wine, I will have the 2009 Montes Syrah Folly La Finca de Apalta from Chile plus I can add if needed.

CT

ericindc

I'll make 2 galette (1 apple and 1 some other fruit) to bring for a slightly sweet dessert.

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad
cjsiege wrote:Right now, I'm planning to bring guacamole, salsa, and chips for munchies. Not sure about what wine I'll be bringing. I'm trying to stay within my own stash....

Because I have this wine buying problem...

I thought that this is a support group for people with "wine buying problem."
;-)

See y'all tomorrow

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I'll be there. Not a clue on wine or food. Leaving town on Sunday so I've been on the fence but decided why not start vacation off with some wine tasting (oh and good friends ;) ).

CT

ericindc

I forgot to ask. Do you need anyone to bring any glasses, decanters, or ice buckets?

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I'll be making a Venezuelan Salad (avocado, onion, hard boiled egg, and tomatoes, and a light dressing). Something simple. Not sure the wine but will pick one up tomorrow.

CT

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i'll be there! with bread, wine, and some beef.

shallot jam bread,
cheval de andez and not sure what else for now,
running a little low on beef at home, but will bring some flannery as appetizer?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

cjsiege

I've picked up mixed olives also.

Wine will be a summery "kitchen sink" white from northern Baja.

hershelk

Thank you everyone for another successful Picnic by the Pool. It was a good size group for talking, drinking and eating. Welcome to the group ericindc, hope to see you at more events.

We had a good selection of wines of all different types of varietals. Mostly South America, but a couple California thrown in for good measure. Here is a link to a gallery of the bottles.

Gallery of Bottles

See you all next time.

CT

ericindc

Thanks again! I hada great time.