chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen

Scott and Jana Harvey will be hosting their annual winemaker's dinner at the Wooster Inn on Friday, April 15th @ 7pm.

Cost is $70/person + Tax & Gratuity. Six wines and five courses. Reservations can be made by calling 330-263-2660 - make sure to mention that you are with the Woot group so that we can be seated together at the dinner.

HERE is the details page for the menu and wine pairings.

This year's dinner will NOT coincide with the Wooster Wine & Beer Festival, which is taking place the following weekend.

Unfortunately, the Inn is booked up for April 15. In the past when the Inn was booked we stayed at the nearby Rodeway Inn. It was clean, affordable and had a free hot breakfast. There are several other hotels and B&Bs nearby as well.

UPDATE from the Wooster Inn: "Next Friday's Wine Dinner is, as expected, sold out as I write this. The desk folks will be confirming all those reservations over the weekend and most times spots open up. So if you're still interested in dining with winemaker, Scott Harvey and his wife Jana, jump on the waiting list with a call to 330-263-2660. We should be able to let you know by early in the week if we can have you join us."

ATTENDEES:
chipgreen
chipgreen +1
ltraffis
ltraffis +1
T. Steiner
T. Steiner +1
N. Ferrante
V. Ferrante
Kevin M.
Megan M.
Deb C.
Pete C.

MAYBES:

REGRETS:
cortot20
cortot20 +1
mrn1
mrn +1
sdilullo
sdilullo +1
protease
protease +1
bahwm
ddeuddeg
North316
North316 +1
foobarski
foobarski +1
tiger7610

*This initial post will be updated as additional details become available.

cortot20

quality posts: 297 Private Messages cortot20

Go ahead and put my lovely + 1 & I down as a regret.

CT

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:Go ahead and put my lovely + 1 & I down as a regret.

What?!?!? I would totally fly to CA to dine with an Ohio winemaker but I guess when the tables are reversed...

Party pooper!

tiger7610

quality posts: 21 Private Messages tiger7610

Maybe? How fast does it sell out? I kind of want to try to make it, I just dont know my schedule for april, and it is a 6 hour drive for me

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

I have to check, but I believe we are "out" following the date change. School/work interferes greatly with this date, whereas the old date was perfect. Bummer that we might have to miss two consecutive years

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

tiger7610 wrote:Maybe? How fast does it sell out? I kind of want to try to make it, I just dont know my schedule for april, and it is a 6 hour drive for me

It usually sells out about a month in advance but I have a feeling it may take longer to sellout this year due to the date change, which does not work well for a lot of people.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:I have to check, but I believe we are "out" following the date change. School/work interferes greatly with this date, whereas the old date was perfect. Bummer that we might have to miss two consecutive years

It is a bummer that they changed it. Bahwm and ddeuddug may also have to skip it this year due to the date change and even for those of us who can still make it, it stinks because we would have been able to stay overnight at the Inn with the original date. Sigh...

tiger7610

Are you guys going to be staying at the rodeway inn? Is it possible to walk to dinner, or would we all just split a cab?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:Are you guys going to be staying at the rodeway inn? Is it possible to walk to dinner, or would we all just split a cab?

Too far to walk to dinner.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

tiger7610 wrote:Are you guys going to be staying at the rodeway inn? Is it possible to walk to dinner, or would we all just split a cab?

We haven't decided where we are going to stay yet. I know that sdilullo and his wife stayed at a B&B that was within walking distance last year. Rodeway is only a 5-6 minute drive but a drive nonetheless.

ltraffis

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ltraffis
chipgreen wrote:We haven't decided where we are going to stay yet. I know that sdilullo and his wife stayed at a B&B that was within walking distance last year. Rodeway is only a 5-6 minute drive but a drive nonetheless.

I just placed my reservations for the Scott & Jana dinner. You can put me + 1 down for attending. I want to get my son their since he was the guy that got me started into Wine.Woot many years ago. He relocated back to OH from KY. But if he has to go out of town on business, my wife will attend. Not sure if we'll stay in the area or just drive home. we are about 50 minutes(40 mi)up Rt 83 and I-71 from Wooster. Cathy at the Inn in stated that there is a Hilton Garden Inn (330)202-7701 south of the Wooster Inn; a Hampton Inn (330)345-4424 (north); Days Inn (330)345-1500 (north); and the Rodeway Inn (330)262-5008 (East). All are a short drive & not within walking distance especially after a great wine dinner and Woot get together! CHIPGREEN, I will PM you shortly.

tiger7610

What is the cancellation policy for the dinner? I mean i'm 95% certain I will try to make it, but grad school is unpredictable. I probably will stay at rodeway, and just take a cab or something. If anyone wants a roomate?

North316

tiger7610 wrote:What is the cancellation policy for the dinner? I mean i'm 95% certain I will try to make it, but grad school is unpredictable. I probably will stay at rodeway, and just take a cab or something. If anyone wants a roomate?

They normally charge your card the day of, or day before. You can cancel anytime before that without issue.

My CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:They normally charge your card the day of, or day before. You can cancel anytime before that without issue.

Yes, 24 hrs. notice for cancellation.

chipgreen

chipgreen wrote:Yes, 24 hrs. notice for cancellation.

Actually, here is an update from an email received yesterday which mentions that they have selected the menu/pairings for the dinner and also outlines the cancellation policy. (click on the link in the first post to view the menu)

"We finally settled on a menu for the Winemaker's Dinner hosted by Scott and Jana Harvey. It takes place on tax day, Friday, April 15, 2016. Year after year these folks prove to be among our most popular hosts and the event tends to sell out early. So don't be left out. As is our tradition, the desk staff will confirm your reservation the weekend before and there is no penalty for cancelling at that point. Once the reservations are confirmed we do not refund but we do give a credit for a future wine dinner should some conflict arise. "

sdilullo

quality posts: 40 Private Messages sdilullo

I love that we're now an auto-maybe!

Keep us there for now, though we do lean confirmed at this point.

I'm in the midst of a rather insane few months of work / travel so I need to make sure it's a go before I hit the big yellow button. Contrary to most of you, the date change is actually better for us due to the aforementioned work craziness.

We certainly love seeing everyone in Wooster every spring, so don't think we don't intend to make it!

chipgreen wrote:We haven't decided where we are going to stay yet. I know that sdilullo and his wife stayed at a B&B that was within walking distance last year. Rodeway is only a 5-6 minute drive but a drive nonetheless.

We stayed here before and loved it:

http://www.mirabellebedandbreakfast.com

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 364
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

chipgreen

sdilullo wrote:I love that we're now an auto-maybe!

Keep us there for now, though we do lean confirmed at this point.

I'm in the midst of a rather insane few months of work / travel so I need to make sure it's a go before I hit the big yellow button. Contrary to most of you, the date change is actually better for us due to the aforementioned work craziness.

We certainly love seeing everyone in Wooster every spring, so don't think we don't intend to make it!

We stayed here before and loved it:

http://www.mirabellebedandbreakfast.com

Hope you can make the trip!

ltraffis

As of now we have reservations at the Rodeway Inn. If my wife comes, we have a DD. If my son comes, I'll shutdown way before we leave. According to Google Maps, the B&B is 0.6 mile from the Wooster Inn and Rodeway Inn is 5 minutes, 2.5 miles away. FWIW

mrn1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrn1

For the third year in a row me and +1 will be out of town....sad to say. Such a great event. Hopefully next year the planets will be in better alignment.

sdilullo

quality posts: 40 Private Messages sdilullo

Unfortunately our schedules aren't aligning this year, so we won't be able to make it.

Those of you that can... enjoy!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 364
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

chipgreen

sdilullo wrote:Unfortunately our schedules aren't aligning this year, so we won't be able to make it.

Those of you that can... enjoy!

You and Gina will be missed!

I just texted protease and foobarski to see if they are going to be able to make it. Any updates from Toledo or Buffalo?

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:You and Gina will be missed!

I just texted protease and foobarski to see if they are going to be able to make it. Any updates from Toledo or Buffalo?

ddeuddeg and I are out this year. We have another commitment at ddeuddeg's school. The date in May would have been do-able. Sorry that we won't be seeing you guys.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

North316

chipgreen wrote:You and Gina will be missed!

It will be a no for us as well. I would be feasible for me, but not the wife with her school and work schedule. She has clinicals that day until 5pm and tests the following week. Saturday would have been a possibility, and the old date would have been perfect.

I considered a solo trip but that is highly unlikely as well.

My CT

foobarski

quality posts: 6 Private Messages foobarski

Unfortunately, you can put my wife and me in the "Regrets" category as well. Just too many other things going on to be able to get away that weekend. (Sadly, the original date would have worked SO much better for us as well.)

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

chipgreen

Ouch! Wooters will be sparsely represented this year. Looks like just Larry and myself so far. Too bad, I heard back from Todd Steiner today. He and his wife will be in attendance and Nick Ferrante and his wife will be back again as well. There are going to be more bottles of wine after dinner than people to drink them!

I recruited one couple, possibly two, from work but it won't be the same....

ltraffis

chipgreen wrote:Ouch! Wooters will be sparsely represented this year. Looks like just Larry and myself so far. Too bad, I heard back from Todd Steiner today. He and his wife will be in attendance and Nick Ferrante and his wife will be back again as well. There are going to be more bottles of wine after dinner than people to drink them!

I recruited one couple, possibly two, from work but it won't be the same....

I may see if my son can bring his lovely lady, but her schedule changes (nurse and on call). My boss and wife are flying in Friday from Maryland and they love a great dinner and wine social so I'll check with them on flight times.

Where are you staying?

chipgreen

ltraffis wrote:I may see if my son can bring his lovely lady, but her schedule changes (nurse and on call). My boss and wife are flying in Friday from Maryland and they love a great dinner and wine social so I'll check with them on flight times.

Where are you staying?

We're with you at the Rodeway although I'm told it's now sold out for the night. My work friends are staying elsewhere.

ltraffis

My boss and wife are flying in Saturday morning so they can't make it. Still don't know about who else will be going! My son hopes to be back from Canada business by then. Thanks for the info on Rodeway.

Do you think we'll have an after-party? Thinking about bringing a Zahtila Zin that I just got, and a Wine Smith Cab Franc. Maybe some grapes, cheese, crackers to pick at?

chipgreen

ltraffis wrote:My boss and wife are flying in Saturday morning so they can't make it. Still don't know about who else will be going! My son hopes to be back from Canada business by then. Thanks for the info on Rodeway.

Do you think we'll have an after-party? Thinking about bringing a Zahtila Zin that I just got, and a Wine Smith Cab Franc. Maybe some grapes, cheese, crackers to pick at?

I am assuming the after-party is on, it will just be a slightly more intimate gathering than in the past. The wines sound great, Zahtila and WineSmith are always good choices.

Think I am going to go with a 2006 White Cottage Ranch Merlot, a 2007 Tallulah "Les Troix Voix" and a 1994 Silver Oak Cab. Will also bring some chocolates to add to the snack mix.

ltraffis

My Three Stags Leap order is coming today. Should I bring one of those? I just saw on your post for that offer that you were interested in some. Were you able to get any?

chipgreen

ltraffis wrote:My Three Stags Leap order is coming today. Should I bring one of those? I just saw on your post for that offer that you were interested in some. Were you able to get any?

I didn't go in on those but I do have 4 of the 2012s.

ddeuddeg

ltraffis wrote:...Three Stags Leap...

This would make a good before and after puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:This would make a good before and after puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.

tiger7610

I'm going to have to pass this year. Work has gotten way too busy, and other things have popped up for that weekend. Good news is that I will probably be in the driveable area for another year, so will try to make it next year.

chipgreen

tiger7610 wrote:I'm going to have to pass this year. Work has gotten way too busy, and other things have popped up for that weekend. Good news is that I will probably be in the driveable area for another year, so will try to make it next year.

Sorry to hear it but yes, hopefully next year! Maybe they'll be nice and schedule it for a Saturday in '17, that seems to work better for most people.

ltraffis

chipgreen wrote:I didn't go in on those but I do have 4 of the 2012s.

Dave - Tomorrow is the day! My son is coming with me tomorrow, subbing in for the wife who just got home today from supporting their annual corporate engineering meeting. She's tired and has to go to work tomorrow and would never make it through the dinner and the afterward get together,

The 2013 Three Stags has much more to it than the 2012. The 2012 is a lot lighter bodied as Scott stated and the 2013 has a lot more going for it. I have a party coming up where there will be some novice wine consumers so the 2012 may suit them better, so if you want to swap 2-2012s for 2-2013s, I'll bring them. Plus the others that I stated I'd bring

I made some cold smoked Alaskan salmon this morning and made some hot smoked Steelhead last week, so I'll bring some along with grapes, cheese, and crackers. I think that's it. See you tomorrow.

chipgreen

ltraffis wrote:Dave - Tomorrow is the day! My son is coming with me tomorrow, subbing in for the wife who just got home today from supporting their annual corporate engineering meeting. She's tired and has to go to work tomorrow and would never make it through the dinner and the afterward get together,

The 2013 Three Stags has much more to it than the 2012. The 2012 is a lot lighter bodied as Scott stated and the 2013 has a lot more going for it. I have a party coming up where there will be some novice wine consumers so the 2012 may suit them better, so if you want to swap 2-2012s for 2-2013s, I'll bring them. Plus the others that I stated I'd bring

I made some cold smoked Alaskan salmon this morning and made some hot smoked Steelhead last week, so I'll bring some along with grapes, cheese, and crackers. I think that's it. See you tomorrow.

Thanks, sounds good. I will bring 2 of the 2012s for trade. I have some sea salt caramels to add to the snack mix. Not the Candy Basket ones that woot sells, but Waggoner, a local chocolatier from Canton.

North316

ltraffis wrote:

Now I am really missing out.

My CT

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:Now I am really missing out.

We share your pain.
Have a great time, those of you who are going to be there.

bahwm

quality posts: 59 Private Messages bahwm
ddeuddeg wrote:We share your pain.
Have a great time, those of you who are going to be there.

Seconded!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast