wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

NoVA/DC/MD 35 : Black Tie Time

Its time once more, to think about a Black Tie event.

Last year, we hosted a Black Tie night, most everyone else got in the spirit, and mstein609 put us to shame as the only one in a Tuxedo.

We're doing it again! We're getting dressed up, and breaking out the stuff you've been saving for a special occasion, but haven't yet had a reason to open.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
With the small crowd that responded, we have changed the format to a sit down dinner. Limited space, so please let me know ASAP if you want to attend, but haven't said anything yet!!

We will be providing some excellent NY strips served family style (meaning they are big pieces of meat we will slice and serve). A parsnip puree, tomato salad, fresh bread.

We could use apps for before hand, and desserts for after. Maybe another protein or side for the meal.

Theme: Dinner Party

Hosts: Wkdpanda and Wkdpanda's +1

Venue: Wkdpanda's place in Herndon VA

- The venue is out near Dulles Airport, and for those traveling a distance, there are some decent nearby accommodations. PM me for directions/address as needed. A couple of guest rooms are available in Chez Panda, if that helps.

Date: Mar 19, 2016

Time: Show up between 6 and 7pm, dinner probably served at 8pm, and we'll go till whenever (and you can be fashionably early to cleanup/change if needed)

Attendees:

1. wkdpanda (open cellar, figuring it out)
  2. wkdpanda+1 (2007 Mumm DVX)
  3. cjsiege (2007 Beringer Steinhauer Ranch (Howell Mtn) Cabernet Sauvignon)
    (Graham's 40-Year Tawny Port)
  4. tripgrad (aged wine and dark chocolates)
  5. mstein609
  6. ericindc

Maybes:

• hershelk

Regrets:
-Everyone else?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm

Would love to come, but this is Palm Sunday weekend and our choir director would kill us if we were missing!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

wkdpanda

The 19th is our first shot at a proposed date. We aren't firmly committed to it, and if enough people want to change it, we can. The 26th is also open on our calendar.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm in! 19th works better than 26th, but either is do-able.

Be sure to bring some nice snifters! I'm bringing a Graham's 40-Year Tawny Port. Any suggestions for pairing?

hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

At this time a can do either which is unusual for me.

CT

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I plan to attend.

"Gotta get my old tuxedo pressed, gotta sew a button on my vest,
'Cause that night I've gotta look my best, Panda's back in town."

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

wkdpanda

I think we're going to hold firm on the 19th for the date.

I'll throw up a message on tbe Berserker's board to see if there is any cross pollenation

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

Right now that date looks good for me. Don't yet know about+1, but my tuxedo and I look forward to attending.

wkdpanda

Bump! Not getting a lot of interest this year, yet. We're less then 3 weeks away.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

We are basically one week away, and not getting a lot of traction. Maybe we'll have to change the format.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ericindc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericindc

Saw this a while ago crossposted on berserkers.

I told the gentleman who posted it that I am in. I can't tell which username is his.

If we can get a wine theme or some guidance, perhaps we can get more people. Are we talking $100+ baseline, $500+, DRC? I can't tell.

wkdpanda wrote:We are basically one week away, and not getting a lot of traction. Maybe we'll have to change the format.

wkdpanda

ericindc wrote:Saw this a while ago crossposted on berserkers.

I told the gentleman who posted it that I am in. I can't tell which username is his.

If we can get a wine theme or some guidance, perhaps we can get more people. Are we talking $100+ baseline, $500+, DRC? I can't tell.

Forget thinking money. A usual woot gathering is people bringing wines, and having food that can go with wine. Nothing that different from a Saturday at Domaine.

The Black Tie theme has been people getting dressed up, and bringing out their special bottles. Those can range from a vintage Mumm DVX, to an early 60s Burgundy that was bought at an estate sale, to a high end Napa Cab. Basically, bring something _you_ think is special and share. I think last year, there were some special bottles, that probably didn't really cost that much but were unusual and/or rare.

This year, I think we're going to change the format a little. Since we're talking 7 or 8 people (including you) who have expressed interest, we're discussing doing a sit down dinner party. After all, with a small group, we usually end up sitting around a table talking, so why not just go there? We'll start a little earlier if possible (maybe 6pm?) and enjoy ourselves.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

I think the format change is a great idea! Especially for the small group.

I'll be bringing 2 wines:
* 2007 Beringer Steinhauer Ranch (Howell Mtn) Cabernet Sauvignon. This one is in honor of the 2014 RPM Tour, where we discovered "all that White Zin" pays for Beringer to produce some lovely serious wines!
* Graham's 40-Year Tawny Port. This one is a gift to myself!

cjsiege

If we will be short on wine (as if *that* every happens), I can also add the 2005 Beringer Steinhauer Ranch CS, to create a mini-vertical.

Or I could hold onto that one and a second 2007 for another time.

Either way's OK.

cjsiege

Should I bring my "Exploding Kittens" cards? I haven't been able to figure out how to play, but between all of us we might have one sober mind to figure it out...

wkdpanda

Calling mstein609 - PM sent. Format changing to a sit down dinner. Please surface.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

So, we're changing this from the normal mill around, hold plates and taste, to a sit down event.

We will provide steak, parsnip puree (potato alternative), tomato salad, bread. Maybe some apps. Someone has volunteered to raid the store for a cheese plate or something.

We probably need some dessert. We have a couple of wines selected.

Do we have any more attendees interested?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

cjsiege wrote:Should I bring my "Exploding Kittens" cards? I haven't been able to figure out how to play, but between all of us we might have one sober mind to figure it out...

Why not? Sounds like it would be a good party game. And less potentially offensive then Cards Against Humanity.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

cjsiege wrote:If we will be short on wine (as if *that* every happens), I can also add the 2005 Beringer Steinhauer Ranch CS, to create a mini-vertical.

Or I could hold onto that one and a second 2007 for another time.

Either way's OK.

I'll leave that one up to you.

Maybe you need to hold onto that, and we can think about doing a horizontal/vertical gathering?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

wkdpanda wrote:Why not? Sounds like it would be a good party game. And less potentially offensive then Cards Against Humanity.

Not by much.

cjsiege

wkdpanda wrote:I'll leave that one up to you.

Maybe you need to hold onto that, and we can think about doing a horizontal/vertical gathering?

I was thinking about Horizontal/Vertical/Parallelogram as a theme for another time...

ericindc

Well, since we seem to be staying in the New World, and stay in Howell Mtn. I can bring:

1997 La Jota Cabernet Sauvignon Anniversary Release,
1995 Kalin Cellars Chardonnay Cuvée W, and

NV Paul Bara Brut Rose Champagne (Late 2014 release)

If people would rather have american pinots, I can bring a
2003 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard, and
2005 Papapietro Perry Pinot Noir Leras Family Vineyards

wkdpanda

I don't know about all new world. I have a Chablis I might break out for a white, and as for Howell mountain, I just might go Napa floor with an older Corison Kronos Cab.

I think the Pinots might be a good switch from the Cab heavy line up, and more bubbly is always appreciated.

Either way, a wine cellar is in arms reach to fill in any holes we might decide we have.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ericindc

I'll bring the wines I listed, plus 1-2 more. Im gonna metro+Uber, so I can't bring a finished dish, but I will get some cheese and charcuterie from Union Market or Arrowine. Maybe some olives as well.

wkdpanda wrote:I don't know about all new world. I have a Chablis I might break out for a white, and as for Howell mountain, I just might go Napa floor with an older Corison Kronos Cab.

I think the Pinots might be a good switch from the Cab heavy line up, and more bubbly is always appreciated.

Either way, a wine cellar is in arms reach to fill in any holes we might decide we have.

mstein609

With the format change, is it too late to add a +1?

I plan to bring a bottle of Xavier CdP La Reserve, a bottle of Bouchard Roses de Jeanne champagne, and I'll probably add a dessert wine as well.

wkdpanda

mstein609 wrote:With the format change, is it too late to add a +1?

I plan to bring a bottle of Xavier CdP La Reserve, a bottle of Bouchard Roses de Jeanne champagne, and I'll probably add a dessert wine as well.

No, not at all. We have the space. You did mention the possibility before, so we hadn't ruled it out.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end. I hope everyone had a great time. It looks like the wines were going to be good.

CT

wkdpanda

I'm falling down on my duties, posting the pictures of empty bottles. Once more, we had more bottles then people, and the nine empties I have doesn't include a couple more partials that went home.

Overall, I think a good time was had by all, and it was good to bring in a couple of new people to the Woot fold.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

A week late, but that's the way life rolls...

Thank you wkdpanda and mrs. panda!!! It was an outstanding evening! You both created the most delicious supper to go with a stellar wine collation. I'm happy I could help provide "befores" and "afters" to the sideboard.

Thank you to everyone who came along for the evening! EricInDC -- I sincerely hope we will see you at another get-together. (We aren't too scary, I hope!)

mstein-- It was lovely to see you again, and to meet your vivacious +1!

tripgrad-- thank you for providing some great wines! The older cabs had so much life left in them -- wow!

hershelk -- very (!!!) sorry you weren't able to come. You were sincerely missed.

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bunnymasseuse

Just figured I'd come out of hiding & see how many old timers are still around! Will be watching to see when the next event is planned & see if travel schedule allows me to attend.

130 Woots and counting

wkdpanda

Got to say, we had a very pleasant surprise a week later.

There was a half bottle of the 2007 Banyuls that someone brought. We didn't see the bottle out after dinner, and thought someone had taken it home. Wrong!! It was in our fridge!

Now, after a week open, we weren't expecting much. Wow, were we blown away. It had turned into a sweet dessert wine! Not quite a port, but definitely not going to acid and vinegar that we would have expected.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cjsiege

bunnymasseuse wrote:Just figured I'd come out of hiding & see how many old timers are still around! Will be watching to see when the next event is planned & see if travel schedule allows me to attend.

THRILLED to see you're still out there! kkv123 and I have wondered how you've been!

Please (!) come to the next one -- whenever that will be!

mstein609

wkdpanda wrote:Got to say, we had a very pleasant surprise a week later.

There was a half bottle of the 2007 Banyuls that someone brought. We didn't see the bottle out after dinner, and thought someone had taken it home. Wrong!! It was in our fridge!

Now, after a week open, we weren't expecting much. Wow, were we blown away. It had turned into a sweet dessert wine! Not quite a port, but definitely not going to acid and vinegar that we would have expected.

I brought that one. It was a sweet dessert wine the day it was put into the bottle, so there wasn't any turning involved.

Banyuls is, like port, a fortified wine, so I wouldn't expect it to go to vinegar even if kept at room temperature for a month. It's at least 50% grenache noir,however, which is not a grape used in port.