MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Postponed til later.





Location: Napa / Sonoma / Livermore


Theme: Tenuki & Mommadeb1 bday weekend plus mourning D&D


Date: TBD, 2016 (Friday to Sunday)


Attendees:



Maybes
- MarkDaSpark
- cjsiege (NoVA/DC)
- MdS's Son
- MdS's Son's SWMBO
- zTimothyBz
- zTimothyBz +1
- klezman
- molarchae
- Merbill
- Merbill's SWMBO
- time2testit
- redhead11
- losthighwayz
- losthighwayz's SWMBO
- JavaDrinker
- CoffeeMate
- tytiger58
- tytiger58's SWMBO
- rjquillin
- cortot20
- cortot20's SWMBO
- kylemittskus
- kylemittskus SWMBO
- tenuki
- tenuki +1
- rjquillin
- ajrod27
- ajrod27 +1
- CAGrl
- CAGrl +1
- bsevern
- trifecta
- trifecta +1
- MommaDeb
- MommaDeb +1
- mewalk
- pseudogourmet98
- pseudogourmet98 +1


Regrets:
- anyone who misses this


So are we thinking a Friday to Sunday tastings? Napa or Livermore on Friday, Napa or Sonoma on Saturday, and Sonoma or Livermore on Sunday?

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Cross post from Pub:

trifecta wrote:How about the 3rd weekend in February (19th-21st)? This is usually when the DnD event was held.

Before planning we should also confirm which weekends would work for Scott and Mr. Handal.

I was thinking it might make more sense to see if Scott was interested in a Friday night and do Napa on Friday, and then Sat/Sun we have more time to spend in Sonoma/Healdsburg since we always seem too rushed in those areas.

For those interested in VA, they would already be close by if they stayed near Scott's the night before.

We could also see if Clark was interested in hosting an evening as well... since that can't really be done in a 2 hour stop....

Thoughts?



Or Livermore on Sunday ...


Problem is the VA Barrel Tasting is usually on that Saturday.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

From previous weekends:

TBD, FEB xx
Napa Wine Romp
Potential Wineries: Biale, Vincent Arroyo Barrel Tasting, Goosecross, Foley, T-Vine, Prager, David Fulton, & Scott Harvey.


TBD, FEB xx
Sonoma Wine Romp - South
Wineries TBD (Buena Vista, Caton, Mayo, Wellington, or others)


TBD, FEB xx
Sonoma Wine Romp - North Saturday or Sunday?
Wineries TBD (Handal, Teldeschi, Armida, Foppiano, Iron Horse, Wellington, Wines moth (Clark) or others)


TBD, FEB xx
Livermore/Other Wine Romp
Location & Wineries TBD (Concannon, Wente, and others)

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

Long list.
You driving?
shotgun!
Trailer?

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Long list.
You driving?
shotgun!
Trailer?



You never know.
Yes
Okay
Doubt it. But the cargo carrier may be full.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1

My request is the day we go to Handle... I realized after we ate at that great restaurant...that Thumbprint had a tasting room practically next door to the restaurant.... I would like to go to Thumbprint... please

and Tres Abores... (yes, I know I spelled it wrong...to lazy to check for correct spelling)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:My request is the day we go to Handle... I realized after we ate at that great restaurant...that Thumbprint had a tasting room practically next door to the restaurant.... I would like to go to Thumbprint... please

and Tres Abores... (yes, I know I spelled it wrong...to lazy to check for correct spelling)



Handle is the restaurant or Thumbprint?


And you mean Tres Sabores winery?

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Handle is the restaurant or Thumbprint?


And you mean Tres Sabores winery?



Thumbprint winery was by the restaurant we ate at after visiting with Dick.

and yes Tres Sabores

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:My request is the day we go to Handle... I realized after we ate at that great restaurant...that Thumbprint had a tasting room practically next door to the restaurant.... I would like to go to Thumbprint... please

and Tres Abores... (yes, I know I spelled it wrong...to lazy to check for correct spelling)



I'm cool with that. Thumbprint Cellars has their tasting room in dt Healdsburg, but they may pour their stuff at Locals. Locals is a tasting room that pours wines from many different wineries.

Diavola is some damn tasty food.

I will talk with Dick and also try to see if Kevin is available to come again. Last year on the side patio was such a great time. I am also working on seeing what Clark's availability is. I am bending the ear of his right hand man.

Love Tres Sabores.... wish I could afford to buy more of it!

I will also plan on getting lots of case shippers into CA ahead of time

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:Handle is the restaurant or Thumbprint?



Diavola was the restaurant... Last year I had the foie gras wrapped in rabbit. Boom!

We went there after an awesome afternoon hanging out at Dick Handal's place. Kevin from Nico Wines also came over and poured. Kevin and his buddy came along for dinner as well, which helped since he knew the entire staff at the restaurant.

Sparky - Can you check with Scott and see if that Friday night would work? I know it's quite a ways out, but I think we'll be scheduling our weekend around that happening.
Thanks.

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta

My suggestions/seconding ideas on winery stops. Also hoping we can find some new stops to liven things up.

Napa
Tres Sabores
T Vine
Scott Harvey


Sonoma/Santa Rosa
Clark's (Winesmith). Bonus is we can also try Mike's killer Pinot and Chardonnay (Engracia)
Wellington
Kunde


Healdsburg/Geyserville
Handal-Denier
Nico Wines - Handal's place
Trentadue (mommadeb has discount and has to pick up her dessert wines...) - Miro also makes some killer PETs
Thumbprint
Hawley
Meeker - TR in Geyserville (winery now in healdsburg, but no one there on Sundays). I heard a rumor that tastings may be moving to the winery, so this could change.


mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:Diavola was the restaurant... Last year I had the foie gras wrapped in rabbit. Boom!

We went there after an awesome afternoon hanging out at Dick Handal's place. Kevin from Nico Wines also came over and poured. Kevin and his buddy came along for dinner as well, which helped since he knew the entire staff at the restaurant.

Sparky - Can you check with Scott and see if that Friday night would work? I know it's quite a ways out, but I think we'll be scheduling our weekend around that happening.
Thanks.



oh that dinner was sooooo yummy!!! I vote we go back there for dinner!! I hope Kevin can join us again..I did like his wines!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:Diavola was the restaurant... Last year I had the foie gras wrapped in rabbit. Boom!

We went there after an awesome afternoon hanging out at Dick Handal's place. Kevin from Nico Wines also came over and poured. Kevin and his buddy came along for dinner as well, which helped since he knew the entire staff at the restaurant.

Sparky - Can you check with Scott and see if that Friday night would work? I know it's quite a ways out, but I think we'll be scheduling our weekend around that happening.
Thanks.



Will check.

Fig Cafe in Glen Ellen was delish.

Little Vineyards would also be a good stop.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki


quality posts: 8 Private Messages tenuki
trifecta wrote:Diavola was the restaurant... Last year I had the foie gras wrapped in rabbit. Boom!

We went there after an awesome afternoon hanging out at Dick Handal's place. Kevin from Nico Wines also came over and poured. Kevin and his buddy came along for dinner as well, which helped since he knew the entire staff at the restaurant.

Sparky - Can you check with Scott and see if that Friday night would work? I know it's quite a ways out, but I think we'll be scheduling our weekend around that happening.
Thanks.



I'd still rather Scott Saturday, but I guess I'm the only one not coming in from out of town and taking Friday off :P

CT

otolith


quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith

Hmmmm...this is tempting. Although I must admit I'd want to go to Shafer.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tytiger58


quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
otolith wrote:Hmmmm...this is tempting. Although I must admit I'd want to go to Shafer.



I'll bet you would

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tenuki wrote:I'd still rather Scott Saturday, but I guess I'm the only one not coming in from out of town and taking Friday off :P



Well, it also depends on Scott & Jana's schedule. But more important, will J be able to make your cake for a Friday gathering?

Napa might be less crowded on Friday as well. Might.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:
Napa might be less crowded on Friday as well. Might.



That was my thought as well. Possibly cheaper to get a room on Fri than Sat too. It should work better overall as well instead of Sonoma, Napa, and then back to Healdsburg. Especially for getting to VA before the crowds arrive. But agree that it will be based on Scott and Jana's schedule. Whenever they will have us.

We will be opting out of the Livermore stop mostly due to time commitment.

pseudogourmet98


quality posts: 31 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Whatever is decided I'm in, plus my DH for Friday and Saturday. We'll need to head down to LA Sunday morning.

So excited to finally meet some of the regular wine Wooters

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Whatever is decided I'm in, plus my DH for Friday and Saturday. We'll need to head down to LA Sunday morning.

So excited to finally meet some of the regular wine Wooters



Yea!!! Can't wait to meet you!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 234 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:That was my thought as well. Possibly cheaper to get a room on Fri than Sat too. It should work better overall as well instead of Sonoma, Napa, and then back to Healdsburg. Especially for getting to VA before the crowds arrive. But agree that it will be based on Scott and Jana's schedule. Whenever they will have us.

We will be opting out of the Livermore stop mostly due to time commitment.



Friday nights are usually same as Saturday nights.

And there is no Barrel Tasting on Friday.

Anyone camping this time? Not sure I want lumberjack RJ on the balcony.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Hmmmm...this is tempting. Although I must admit I'd want to go to Shafer.

Even better if you spot us all a bottle or three!

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Anyone camping this time? Not sure I want lumberjack RJ on the balcony.

What!? You have a room essentially to yourself, and save $$$ for other purchases.

CT

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:Friday nights are usually same as Saturday nights.

And there is no Barrel Tasting on Friday.

Anyone camping this time? Not sure I want lumberjack RJ on the balcony.



My point was that VA could be done first thing Saturday after Scott's on Fri night. Should have made that clearer.

We won't plan on camping this year.... The yurts switched to a 2 night minimum.

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Even better if you spot us all a bottle or three!



Or pay our tasting fees!

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta

So I was able to make contact with Mr Handal as well as Mike from Winesmith. Both are going to be checking dates and getting back to me about the weekend of Feb 19-21st. I'll keep this thread posted.

rjquillin


quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

Anyone checking with Scott?
If not, I could work on that.

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:So I was able to make contact with Mr Handal as well as Mike from Winesmith. Both are going to be checking dates and getting back to me about the weekend of Feb 19-21st. I'll keep this thread posted.



yippie!!

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Anyone checking with Scott?
If not, I could work on that.



I think Sparky was doing that...
Edit: I also booked a room in Calistoga for that Friday night just in case they start getting scarce/expensive. It has free cancellation, so I figured I might as well. Booked the Euro Spa and Inn.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:I think Sparky was doing that...
Edit: I also booked a room in Calistoga for that Friday night just in case they start getting scarce/expensive. It has free cancellation, so I figured I might as well. Booked the Euro Spa and Inn.



Is that the place we stayed at last time? can you give me the address please

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:Is that the place we stayed at last time? can you give me the address please



No. We stayed at the Sunburst last year. Wanted to try something different this time and it was a little cheaper.1202 Pine St, Calistoga, CA 94515

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
trifecta wrote:So I was able to make contact with Mr Handal as well as Mike from Winesmith. Both are going to be checking dates and getting back to me about the weekend of Feb 19-21st. I'll keep this thread posted.



Clark and Dick have both gotten back to me and we are penciled in. Need to firm up exact date soon if possible. Times and details can follow in the coming weeks. Right now Clark is planning on Saturday and Dick is expecting Sunday as in previous years.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:No. We stayed at the Sunburst last year. Wanted to try something different this time and it was a little cheaper.1202 Pine St, Calistoga, CA 94515



thanks, Friday night.. right?

Dumb question.... should we fly into oakland and are we planning an all day tasting day Friday? Sorry, I'm brain dead....

What rate did you get?

rjquillin


quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:Clark and Dick have both gotten back to me and we are penciled in. Need to firm up exact date soon if possible. Times and details can follow in the coming weeks. Right now Clark is planning on Saturday and Dick is expecting Sunday as in previous years.

Lacking confirmation from Sparky re: Scott; were you thinking Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening?
I've got to contact the club, Monica, and/or Scott-Jana soon anyway, might as well roll this in at the same time.

CT

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Lacking confirmation from Sparky re: Scott; were you thinking Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening?
I've got to contact the club, Monica, and/or Scott-Jana soon anyway, might as well roll this in at the same time.



I was thinking Friday would work best. Closest for those driving and flying to get to Napa. Then Saturday morning we would already be right in town for VA when it opens, then can move on west to other stops. Depending on when folks get in on Friday we can setup a day of tasting stops before Scott's.

Friday in Napa would also avoid the backtracking of being west on Friday, east on Saturday, and then west again on Sunday.

Again, we'll work around Scott's schedule though.

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks, Friday night.. right?

Dumb question.... should we fly into oakland and are we planning an all day tasting day Friday? Sorry, I'm brain dead....

What rate did you get?



Correct, Friday night. But I made sure that my booking had free cancellation because we haven't confirmed with Scott yet. My rate was $188 after taxes. It expensive, but it's friggin Calistoga.

I'm not sure about the tasting schedule on Friday yet. We will be in town by Thurs night and are open for what folks want to do on Friday.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:Correct, Friday night. But I made sure that my booking had free cancellation because we haven't confirmed with Scott yet. My rate was $188 after taxes. It expensive, but it's friggin Calistoga.

I'm not sure about the tasting schedule on Friday yet. We will be in town by Thurs night and are open for what folks want to do on Friday.



ok so you will be at this hotel Thurs and Friday night? I will talk to Mr. Mommadeb and get our room booked.

edit: booked for Thurs/Friday went thru Expedia

trifecta


quality posts: 84 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:ok so you will be at this hotel Thurs and Friday night? I will talk to Mr. Mommadeb and get our room booked.

edit: booked for Thurs/Friday went thru Expedia



We'll be staying in San Jose Thurs night because I work that day, but can be in Napa before 10 am Friday.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:We'll be staying in San Jose Thurs night because I work that day, but can be in Napa before 10 am Friday.



I really don't see me getting up super early on Friday morning...but we shall see...

mommadeb1


quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1

I'm trying to convince my co-worker to come on this trip with me. She really loves all the wines I have introduced her to..... Scott, Dick and Clark...we shall see.