bahwm

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bahwm

Hi All! It's about that time to start thinking about the upcoming Icewine Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. This year, it is running January 15 - 31, 2016. ddeuddeg and I are not available on Sat. January 30th. We would like to propose the MLK weekend starting with showcasing Buffalo foods on Friday, January 15th; Icewining on Saturday followed by Bubbly and Sushi for dinner on Saturday evening and whatever on Sunday. We have plenty of new breweries and distilleries that are making their presences felt in Buffalo. We could check out some of them on Sunday or go play in the snow! Then, travel home/recoup on Monday or whatever works for you!

LODGING

I cant get the links to work today These are the closest hotels to us. Of course, there are many others. The ones downtown don't have free parking:

Hampton Inn Buffalo South/I-90
1750 Ridge Road, West Seneca, New York, 14224, USA TEL: +1-716-824-2030

Best Western Plus the Inn of Lackawanna
2500 Hamburg Turnpike,
Lackawanna, NY, 14218, United States
Phone: 716-821-0030

Staybridge Suites West Seneca
164 Slade Avenue, West Seneca, NY 14224 US

Click below to read about suggestions for Friday evening's activities. Post your thoughts on the thread. Remember: Most places are within a 15-20 minute drive from our house. Hydraulic Hearth is more like 5-8ish.

Activity Links for Friday: Breweries, Restaurants, Canalside

Friday evening carousing:
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.wkdpanda (Chez B&D)
4.wkdpanda's + 1
5.vwsmaltz (Fri-Hilton Garden Inn; Sat-Niagara)
6.vwsmaltz +1
7.lauren
8.lauren's +1
9.tiger7610
10.justinrsanderson
11.justinrsanderson's +1
12.polarbear (BW Lackawanna)
13.Mrs. Polarbear
14.chipgreen (BW Lackawanna)
15.chipgreen's +1

Icewining:
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.wkdpanda (Chez B&D)
4.wkdpanda's + 1
5.vwsmaltz (Fri-Hilton Garden Inn; Sat-Niagara)
6.vwsmaltz +1
7.lauren
8.lauren's +1
9.tiger7610
10.justinrsanderson
11.justinrsanderson's +1
12.polarbear (BW Lackawanna)
13.Mrs. Polarbear

Info about Bubbly & Sushi Dinner:
Location: Bourbon and Butter at The Hotel Lafayette, 391 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203 (same location as last year)Valet Parking!

Cost:$45 per person plus tax and tip for 7 courses
Beverages:Bring our own bubbly (no corkage) (We'll coordinate who's bringing what, later. That way, maybe we can have two bottles of each so that everyone gets to try it all! )

ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.wkdpanda
4.wkdpanda's + 1
5.penny
6.tiger7610
7.polarbear (BW)
8.Mrs. Polarbear
9.chipgreen (BW)
10.chipgreen's +1

MAYBES:
1. paula

Sunday Brunch: 11:30 Toutant 437 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
ATTENDEES:
1.bahwm
2.ddeuddeg
3.wkdpanda
4.wkdpanda's + 1
5.tiger7610
6.chipgreen
7.chipgreen's +1

REGRETS:
1. ajrod27
2. cjsiege
3. anne
4. north316
5. north316's +1
6. anyone who misses this

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

I will add myself as a maybe, its a bit too far ahead for me to know if I can make it, but I will try. Hopefully this time I will not get stuck at the border. I also will put in a vote that we go back to Kacaba winery.

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

I was informed yesterday by my better half that the chances we can go this year are very slim. Timing wise, it would be close to the start of her 3rd semester of nursing school, which she said will be incredibly busy. Based on her reaction, I'm guessing that may hold true for 2017 as well, as it will be the start of her 5th and final semester, but we'll see.

We'll have to get up that way next summer, especially if we don't make it to the Scott Harvey dinner again.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:I was informed yesterday by my better half that the chances we can go this year are very slim. Timing wise, it would be close to the start of her 3rd semester of nursing school, which she said will be incredibly busy. Based on her reaction, I'm guessing that may hold true for 2017 as well, as it will be the start of her 5th and final semester, but we'll see.

We'll have to get up that way next summer, especially if we don't make it to the Scott Harvey dinner again.

They've been running the Icewine Festival in NOTL for many years; I'm sure they'll continue to do so in the foreseeable future. As long as they do, we'll keep going. Maybe we'll see you in 2018, once things settle down for you and your LW.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen

Please put us in the Maybe column for now....

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Put my wife and I on the list. We will be up at least Friday through Sunday. We may have to leave on Sunday though.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ajrod27

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ajrod27

Maybe +1

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

We're in! Friday and Saturday day....

Virgil and Monica

ddeuddeg

vwsmaltz wrote:We're in! Friday and Saturday day....

Virgil and Monica

So no dinner Saturday evening?

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

vwsmaltz

ddeuddeg wrote:So no dinner Saturday evening?

No - remember we're the weird ones who don't like sushi....

chipgreen

vwsmaltz wrote:No - remember we're the weird ones who don't like sushi....

So are we but I tried everything and liked more than I thought I would. Also, they accommodated my +1 with a non-sushi meal option so that she did not go hungry. For me, the food was secondary to the wonderful sparkling wines we sampled.

vwsmaltz

chipgreen wrote:So are we but I tried everything and liked more than I thought I would. Also, they accommodated my +1 with a non-sushi meal option so that she did not go hungry. For me, the food was secondary to the wonderful sparkling wines we sampled.

We loved the sparkling wines the first year, but it's just too hard as the only option they had for Monica had Teriyaki sauce - and it had gluten... Oh well....

ddeuddeg

No activity in 2+ weeks. Time for a bump, to see if this is even viable this year.

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:No activity in 2+ weeks. Time for a bump, to see if this is even viable this year.

How many do you need to pull off the dinner?

bahwm

chipgreen wrote:How many do you need to pull off the dinner?

I think we probably need about ten people. We are currently at four. I just FBd Justin. I might be able to get some of my friends who joined us last year. Of course, it doesn't matter on numbers for us to go Icewining!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

I mean i'm more than likely in, I'm just a bit weary of putting something so far in advance on my calendar

chipgreen

I just bugged Nancy about it (again). Should know soon, but we are definitely hoping to go. This time we plan to actually cross the border!

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Drop us back in the maybe category. There is an outside chance we might be able to swing this, but we may not know until very late in the game.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:Drop us back in the maybe category. There is an outside chance we might be able to swing this, but we may not know until very late in the game.

We'll continue to be hopeful.

tiger7610

I just realized that I'm coming back from my conference on the 15th and I'm flying into Buffalo. So I will be able to attend the ice wine festival on saturday.

bahwm

Hi Guys! I FINALLY got a response back from Chef Mike. He's been super jammed up these days. We would be at Bourbon and Butter again this year as we were last. He will be traveling a lot in January but has his longtime Chef able to create the menu that he will decide on. The cost will be $45 per person plus tax and tip for 7 courses (as we had last year). Of course, the menu always varies! Apparently, they spend 2 days of prep time on our dinner and have been giving it to us at cost or below. (I'm quite certain that Mike was donating his time!)

tiger7610

Awesome! Hopefully this time I wont be in a car that gets stuck at customs. Also I will try to bring my GPS which works in canada so we wont get lost. Are we still allowed to bring champagne?

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:Awesome! Hopefully this time I wont be in a car that gets stuck at customs. Also I will try to bring my GPS which works in canada so we wont get lost. Are we still allowed to bring champagne?

Of course, we can bring bubbly!

wkdpanda

Great to hear that things are moving forward! The missus and I will be up Friday, and are planning to bring a bottle or two of bubbly. We still haven't decided which one, so we have to do some taste testing in the next few weeks (a very Happy New Year's Eve perhaps?) We are still iffy on Monday, she may have to work.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

vwsmaltz

It looks like Lauren and her boyfriend are going to make it too... So we will be there for Friday night and Saturday (day only)...

Have we thought about which winery to start at? It appears that they no longer mail out the tickets and you have to pickup at the starting winery...

Virgil +3

ddeuddeg

If you're planning to buy anything in Canada during our visit, make sure you use a credit card or exchange your US dollars for Canadian at a currency exchange. The current exchange rate is up to $100 US = $139.40 Canadian. The merchants will often take advantage of the rate difference by accepting your US dollars at par and typically give you Canadian dollars in change, making matters even worse.

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm in for Saturday day and evening. I anticipate having a +1, but not sure who it will be.

I'll probably be around for Happy Hour Friday evening if it's going to be in the city. I have a strong preference for Big Ditch Brewing because of the quality of beer, guest taps, and full bar, but I'll go wherever. I've never been to any of the new distilleries.

Looking forward to it, and the generous exchange rate we'll have for the day! About a 30% discount of CAD prices.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

I spoke with SWMBO and we are going to try and make it.

Is there a hotel that others are planning to stay in? Could make some things easier if we are near others.

wkdpanda

The missus and I were considering the Hampton Inn nearby. I have stayed at the Best Western Lackawanna, and that was a decent bed.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:I spoke with SWMBO and we are going to try and make it.

Is there a hotel that others are planning to stay in? Could make some things easier if we are near others.

Wow! I was just going to put you in the regrets column. I thought you had a retreat? Color me confused. But, this is great news! It will be soooo good to see you guys!

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:Wow! I was just going to put you in the regrets column. I thought you had a retreat? Color me confused. But, this is great news! It will be soooo good to see you guys!

I am going to miss it. We felt the weather was just looking too good not to make the trip this year.

polarbear22

wkdpanda wrote:The missus and I were considering the Hampton Inn nearby. I have stayed at the Best Western Lackawanna, and that was a decent bed.

We were at Best Western last time. And the Hampton Inn sounds familiar. Planning to book a room today or tomorrow.

polarbear22

Hampton Inn and Best Western are within $2/night of each other. Which is closer to dinner venue?

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:Hampton Inn and Best Western are within $2/night of each other. Which is closer to dinner venue?

11 minutes to Best Western from Bourbon and Butter. 18 - 20 to the Hampton Inn--more local driving. 8 minutes to our house from Best Western and 6 minutes from the Hampton. All are quite close.

chipgreen

We are in for a repeat of last year, skipping the actual ice wine festival. We hope to visit Bar Bill again (if not Friday then maybe on our own, Saturday). Will bring some ice/dessert wine for Friday night and bubbly for Saturday night's dinner (Nancy would like the non-sushi option again). Open to brunch and whatever else for Sunday, will head home on Monday.

As for hotel, we stayed at Best Western last time and it was fine. The best things about it were the little coffee shop next door and the convenient location at an affordable price. We almost booked Staybridge Suites in W. Seneca and that looks like an attractive option again, and is priced identically to Best Western on Expedia.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

polarbear22

chipgreen wrote:We are in for a repeat of last year, skipping the actual ice wine festival. We hope to visit Bar Bill again (if not Friday then maybe on our own, Saturday). Will bring some ice/dessert wine for Friday night and bubbly for Saturday night's dinner (Nancy would like the non-sushi option again). Open to brunch and whatever else for Sunday, will head home on Monday.

As for hotel, we stayed at Best Western last time and it was fine. The best things about it were the little coffee shop next door and the convenient location at an affordable price. We almost booked Staybridge Suites in W. Seneca and that looks like an attractive option again, and is priced identically to Best Western on Expedia.

We plan to book Best Western tomorrow. Mainly because I failed to book tonight, and my wallet is upstairs.

bahwm

chipgreen wrote:We are in for a repeat of last year, skipping the actual ice wine festival. We hope to visit Bar Bill again (if not Friday then maybe on our own, Saturday). Will bring some ice/dessert wine for Friday night and bubbly for Saturday night's dinner (Nancy would like the non-sushi option again). Open to brunch and whatever else for Sunday, will head home on Monday.

So, are you staying at the BW or Staybridge Suites?

bahwm

polarbear22 wrote:We plan to book Best Western tomorrow. Mainly because I failed to book tonight, and my wallet is upstairs.

Oops! When will you guys be heading back?

bahwm

Who's in for brunch Sunday AM? There's a really good restaurant downtown, run by the same folks from Shango, that do an awesome brunch. IMHO, better than Shango. However, I'll need an approximate count because they set groups apart. Thanks!

Also, let's have some more discussion about Friday night and Sunday. Options: Bar Bill in East Aurora--known for their wings and Beef on Weck. They fill up early. I think we got there between 3:30 - 4:00 to get a table for our group.

Sportsmens Tavern--for some music more wings (a different style), shared Buffalo fish fry).

Big Ditch Brewing Company----good food, good beer.

Hydraulic Hearth Restaurant & Brewery--good food, good beer, good mixed drinks, and wines. They carry a lot of beers from Community Beer Works. They're hooked up somehow. Don't remember the details.

Resurgence Brewing Company--not far from Sportsmens. Good Beers.

Community Beer Works

Flying Bison Brewery--the "grandfather" of the "new" brewery resurgence. Originally opened in an old warehouse maybe 6-8 years ago? Now, in a new building within walking distance of Hydraulic Hearth and the new Larkinville Entertainment area. The owner is a cyclist and very involved in supporting community activities--including Shakespeare in Delaware Park.

Gene McCarthy's/Old First Ward Brewery--old fashioned gin mill (Buffalo-ism?)/bar dating from the old grain mill days. Good food, good beer, historic ambiance--near the old grain elevators.

Illuminated Grain Elevators--new installation--really cool!

If there's enough interest, we could get the TommyRotter Distillery to open for us--ddeuddeg has a contact. Hopefully, the guy hasn't forgotten, but I'll need to email him.

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:So, are you staying at the BW or Staybridge Suites?

Just booked Best Western so you can officially add us to the Attendee column. Like last year, was inclined to go with Staybridge Suites but staying where the other wooters will be won out!

Nancy may or may not be able to get off work early that Friday, so unsure what time we will be able to join up with everyone. Hopefully early enough to enjoy the local scene, but if nothing else can meet at su casa for the pre-festival ice wine tasting later in the evening.

Really enjoyed Shango so your brunch idea for Sunday sounds great, count us in. Breweries and/or distillery afterward also sounds good although I am a lightweight when it comes to the hard stuff....

EDIT to add that we will be bringing 2 bottles of 2007 Iron Horse Brut Rosé for the sushi dinner.
EDITx2 we will also be bringing a bottle of 2013 Debonné Vidal Ice Wine, an ice wine from Ohio that won the 2015 San Francisco Chronicle Sweepstakes Award for best Dessert Wine in the country, making it 2 years in a row that Ohio Ice Wines have taken the Dessert Wine crown as the 2014 Sweepstakes Award winner was a 2012 Ferrante Winery Vidal Blanc Ice Wine. Both wineries are located in the Grand River Valley AVA of NE Ohio (just a few miles apart, about an hour East of Cleveland).