hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Picnic By The Pool #4

SubTheme: Bacchnalia - Find your most decadent, opulent, unusual, geographically unique, or outright delicious wine, grab your suit (or don't - no judgement here) and come out for a night of drinking, swimming and general good times.

Date: September 19
Time: 6:00pm -
Host: hershelk

The summer is here and the pool is open for business. My calendar is filling up fast so I needed to get this out so we can have it while the temperature is still warm. After a few people chimed in, it seems that September 19th is the date.

I came up with this theme to get us away from the usual standards, but made it open enough that everyone could come up with something. Also if wkpanda brings his friends from overseas, it would fit right in the theme. I am, however, open to changing the theme upon request.

Coming:
hershelk +5 (RDV, Chateau du Castel - Israel, Chateau Musar, 2000 Patricius Tokaji Aszú 5 Puttonyos, Spinach Salad, Cake, side dish, lental dish, hot turkey sausages, fruit salad, mashed potatoes, apple pie)
wkpanda +1(Hungarian Furmint, cous cous salad)
aranderson
cjseige (2014 Potomac Point La Belle Vie Rose, farmers market side dish)
mstein (Gould-Campbell '83, French white, salmon)
tripgrad (french red and grilled meats)
sukiasa (Meat to grill, assorted wines)
HitAnyKey42, Cheron98 +1 (2001 Mumm Napa DVX)
nabrunk (hungarian furmint, custard cake)

Maybe:
sukiasa's +4
mstein's +1

CT

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Saw this topic and thought just maybe it would be kismet. I'll be in the area at the beginning of August, so too soon for this gathering.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 32 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I vote for Sep 19th, since we will be at the PA Ren Faire on Aug 22nd.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

Either works for me. I know, not much help.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

I would vote for Sept 19. Aug 22 is our anniversary, and we probably will be doing a private thing.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

September 19th it is.

CT

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I'm all in!
Will bring French red to pair with grilled meat.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I'll be there. Will have to get back to you on wine and food. Maybe I will attempt that dark chocolate pretzel tart again.

CT

wkdpanda

The wife and I will be there on the 19th. We will bring a Hungarian Furmint (white) for people to try. Maybe something else as well. Have to see what the line up is looking like as we get closer to the date.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i'm a tentative yes for the 19th.
not sure what wines to bring but for sure i want to bring some flannery for hersh to work his grilling magic.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

HitAnyKey42

To make it official, since I see we're not in the updated first post yet....cheron98 & I are a confirmed yes. We'll decide on wine and such later.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

wkdpanda

And I'll bring a certain wine glass with us, since HAK and Cheron will be there!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

HitAnyKey42 wrote:To make it official, since I see we're not in the updated first post yet....cheron98 & I are a confirmed yes. We'll decide on wine and such later.

Fantastic. I'll update.

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

HAK & I will likely be having a friend joining us as well.

hershel, where are you located again?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

hershelk

cheron98 wrote:HAK & I will likely be having a friend joining us as well.

hershel, where are you located again?

The more the merrier. I will PM you the directions. It has been a while, I do no believe you have been to my current home.

CT

cheron98

hershelk wrote:
HitAnyKey42
Cheron98 +1

That strikes me as hilarious

wkdpanda

Can I just say, I don't speak french, and I prefer to meet people who aren't grilled?

tripgrad (french read and grilled meets)
----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

hershelk

cheron98 wrote:That strikes me as hilarious

Each person with a login, gets there own entry and you mentioned the friend, thus hilarity ensues.

CT

hershelk

wkdpanda wrote:Can I just say, I don't speak french, and I prefer to meet people who aren't grilled?

Ok, cannibalism is off the menu.

CT

HitAnyKey42

hershelk wrote:Ok, cannibalism is off the menu.

But we still have to read french? This will be a long day if someone will be trying to teach me French so that I can read it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

hershelk

HitAnyKey42 wrote:But we still have to read french? This will be a long day if someone will be trying to teach me French so that I can read it.

No one said you had to understand it, just read it.

CT

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

After some time away dealing with some health problems, I'm socializing again! I've tentatively marked this in my calendar. I really hope I can make it. Can I get the address pm'ed to me so that I can figure out if the drive is manageable? Many thanks, and looking forward to seeing everyone again!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

HitAnyKey42

I keep forgetting to ask....
Is there a spare bedroom or such that cheron98 & I can crash in for the night?
Or if not....wkpanda, can we come back to your place to crash?
Would very much prefer not to have to have a 2 1/2 hr drive after a night of carousing.

Also, currently planning on 2001 Mumm Napa DVX as one of our wines. Haven't chosen a second bottle yet.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

hershelk

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I keep forgetting to ask....
Is there a spare bedroom or such that cheron98 & I can crash in for the night?

I have a couple spare bedrooms. I'm sure I can find a place for you.

CT

hershelk

Time to let us know what you will all be bringing. At least one of my wines will be a surprising good Israeli wine, I may also bring out a surprisingly good VA red. I'll try to fill in food gaps when I know what folks are bringing.

CT

cjsiege

Wine will be 2014 Potomac Point La Belle Vie Rose'. It's light and summery! Food is still TBD, but will be some sort of side dish. Depends on what looks good at the farmers' market on Saturday.

wkdpanda

Looking like food will be a couscous salad.

Wine, the Hungarian Furmint , perhaps something else light and summery?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

nabrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nabrunk

I, amusingly, also ended up with a dry Hungarian Furmint (I asked the clerk at the wine shop for something unusual and he recommended it).

I was thinking of bringing a frozen custard cake from the Dairy Godmother, unless we have enough desserts and something else is wanted. Just let me know!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

hershelk

Are there ever enough desserts? I don't do dairy, but I'm sure everyone else will enjoy a custard cake on a warm day.

nabrunk wrote:
I was thinking of bringing a frozen custard cake from the Dairy Godmother, unless we have enough desserts and something else is wanted. Just let me know!

CT

cheron98

I should probably go pick a bottle out to let you know, huh.

I think I am going to be making port brownies. Pretty sure of that. There is brownie mix in the pantry and a great deal of port in the basement. Seems appropriate.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

i'm probably going to be rolling solo but might be up to +4? is that ok?

I'll try to thaw the meat before getting there and i'll let you work your grill magic

wine wise, i'm thinking maybe some tempranillo, some sauternes, some bordeaux, and an assortment of random stuff...

i know hershelk doesn't do diary but are you opposed to me bringing some cheese?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

tripgrad

sukeiasa wrote:i'm probably going to be rolling solo but might be up to +4? is that ok?

I'll try to thaw the meat before getting there and i'll let you work your grill magic

wine wise, i'm thinking maybe some tempranillo, some sauternes, some bordeaux, and an assortment of random stuff...

i know hershelk doesn't do diary but are you opposed to me bringing some cheese?

Dude, don't show without at least 2 of your charming acolytes.
Man does not live by grilled meat alone.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

There is a chance I'll be +1, but it probably will be just me.

It looks like there will be enough people to take care of a bottle of port, so I'll bring a Gould-Campbell '83 to go with desserts.

I will try to bring some good bread. If I can find some nice salmon, I will do poached salmon. That calls for a French white. I just have to decide whether to make it a Loire SB or a white Burgundy.

hershelk

sukeiasa wrote:i'm probably going to be rolling solo but might be up to +4? is that ok?

The more the merrier

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 310 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

hey all,

this snuck up on us. can you quickly send an address where we can send some goodies?

email: davids@winecountryconnect.com

HitAnyKey42

Winedavid39 wrote:hey all,

this snuck up on us. can you quickly send an address where we can send some goodies?

email: davids@winecountryconnect.com

Since I'm not sure if hershelk or others might see this in time for you to get out a shipment, I have just emailed you the address of the tasting.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

tripgrad

2011 Domaine Fond Croze Rasteau Vieilles Vignes The Rasteau AOC 2011 Domaine Fond Croze is a full-bodied and rich wine with an elegant balance and an enormous length. Food pairing: Venison goulash, grilled meats, aged cheeses.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cjsiege

tripgrad wrote:2011 Domaine Fond Croze Rasteau Vieilles Vignes The Rasteau AOC 2011 Domaine Fond Croze is a full-bodied and rich wine with an elegant balance and an enormous length. Food pairing: Venison goulash, grilled meats, aged cheeses.

I didn't know you were planning to make venison goulash!

cjsiege

I have picked up lovely cupcakes. Will also pick up "real food" as well. Hoping W's will have something inspirational!

cjsiege

cjsiege wrote:I have picked up lovely cupcakes. Will also pick up "real food" as well. Hoping W's will have something inspirational!

Inspiration found. Tuscan seasoned, roasted cauliflower.

And cupcakes.