+ Add a Comment

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
HitAnyKey42 wrote:It is the dial temp control, but that's also the same thing I got on my Urbina. The digital ones are still a little out of my price range at the moment, so I guess I'll just have to live with the dial ones and find some good min/max temp gauges.

HAK-

Are you just cranking that Urbina all the way? I do. it runs about 53 degrees for me.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MaskedMarvel wrote:HAK-

Are you just cranking that Urbina all the way? I do. it runs about 53 degrees for me.

I have my Urbina cranked nearly all the way to max and can't seem to get it to drop below 55 or 56 degrees. Obviously shows how much of a lesser brand these Urbina's are. And another reason why I need an additional cooler.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder

OK, hope this thread gets some activity -- I posted back in March that I own the Danby 30-bottle 2-zone wine cooler (model DWC283BLS).
Over the past few weeks, we noticed that the lower zone temp has been climbing...and climbing... I did a bit of searching and found a site (www.fixya.com) where people suggest a couple approaches to dealing with this, but we're still not getting chilled to where we should be.
Any ideas? Anyone else own this cooler?

Dude... wait, what?

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
LoonBoarder wrote:OK, hope this thread gets some activity -- I posted back in March that I own the Danby 30-bottle 2-zone wine cooler (model DWC283BLS).
Over the past few weeks, we noticed that the lower zone temp has been climbing...and climbing... I did a bit of searching and found a site (www.fixya.com) where people suggest a couple approaches to dealing with this, but we're still not getting chilled to where we should be.
Any ideas? Anyone else own this cooler?

Is it a cooler or a fridge (I didn't click on your link). It could just be summer setting in and the cooler can't really fight against climactic heat.

signed.

LoonBoarder

canonizer wrote:Is it a cooler or a fridge (I didn't click on your link). It could just be summer setting in and the cooler can't really fight against climactic heat.

It's a fridge. Been through a couple summers and this is the first time it's not holding the low end. I'm concerned it may be coolant leak or such. The compressor is HOT...

Dude... wait, what?

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

Anybody have any info about the Avanti 28 Bottle - Thermo Wine Cooler? Brandsmart has it for $169.... which seems to be a good price. Just not sure on how reliable they are, seen reviews citing bad customer support and failures. Any feedback will be much appreciated!

CT

bkarney

I found it, my perfect cooler....too bad I already have it full, uh oh. GE Profile 29 bottle. The thing is a beauty and it is exactly what I need. Prices online are crazy, up to $500 bucks... I paid a little over $200 for it, brand new, from Brandsmart. I kept haggling the guy, then his manager. Free 3 yr warranty thrown in and.... this is the kicker.... when I inspected it at the loading dock I told him that I found a scratch (which I didn't) and they knocked off another $50 bucks!! Talk about highway robbery, this thing is sooo much better than those that I had been researching. If you can find it for under $350, get it, you will love it!

CT

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Review of VinoTemp VT-60 Wine Cellar (Long Post)

Nine days ago, I purchased a “scratch ‘n dent” 58-bottle VinoTemp wine cellar on Ebay for $275 delivered from a guy named Scott who works for a company in Austin, Texas, called Stuart Connections. The model number is VT-60, and the exterior is stainless steel. Apparently, they have 500 of these, so I thought I might share my preliminary thoughts about the purchasing experience here in case someone else is interested. I am not affiliated with the seller in any way and have been a woot member since February 2006.

A little background: previous to this purchase, I have been using a black 28-bottle thermo-electric Urbina UD 28i (which, like many of you, I purchased last February from Overstock.com for $87 delivered). I plan to continue to use this unit in addition to the VinoTemp. I also have a stainless-steel 9-bottle Cuisinart CWC-900 that I purchased a couple years ago, refurbished, if I remember correctly, from Amazon.com. The Cuisinart is too small to be useful to me at this point though its performance has been perfect so far. I guess that I plan to sell or give it away in the near future.

In terms of the “new to me” VinoTemp VT-60, I paid $275 for it, including shipping from Texas to my home in Connecticut. Prior to my “Buy it Now” on Ebay, I e-mailed Scott and asked him to make sure the unit he sent me included a key. In the item description, it said that some units came with a key and others didn’t, but I figured if he has 500 of them, certainly he can pick one for me that has the key. I also offered him $150 (plus $100 shipping) instead of the $199 “Buy it Now” price (plus $100 shipping) he listed. Go ahead and call me “cheap”!! Scott agreed in a follow-up e-mail that he’d accept $199 for the unit, plus only $76 for shipping, which was reflected in the Ebay invoice he sent me after the purchase. Total: $275 delivered.

A quick note about the key: when the unit arrived, the key was not included. I sent a polite e-mail to Scott and he immediate wrote back with an apology and tracking number for a follow-up USPS shipment with the key. Honest mistake, it seems, and good communication. I expect the key to arrive early next week.

After my purchase, I received an invoice and UPS tracking number. The unit was actually shipped the same day as I placed my order and took about 5 days to arrive here in Connecticut. No signature was required, so UPS was able to leave it in my driveway, near a side door, as per my instructions. The packing materials looked pretty good.

When I opened the packaging, I noticed that indeed I had received a “scratch ‘n dent” unit. I can provide some pictures if you want. While the inside of the unit appears new in every way (and it smelled okay), the outside has several scratches, a little bit of tape residue, and a small dent on top near the back of the unit. To tell you the truth, I don’t care. It will be kept in the basement, not in the main part of my home. Just to be clear, it doesn’t look terrible, but it’s certainly “used” in appearance. The front glass door has no scratches or damage. In sum, this unit is perfect for my purposes but would not look good enough as a kitchen build-in or something to be focused on in a wine room, for example.

The sticker on the back of the unit confirmed the model number and listed a manufacture date of 2004. The only paperwork included was a sheet of paper that said I should wait 24 hours after shipment to plug in the unit in order to allow the coolant to collect in the bottom. The total weight was 123 lbs., including the packaging, according to UPS. Yes, it’s heavy, but I used a dolly that I already owned to roll it around. The user manual is downloadable as a .pdf document from the Ebay seller’s site. I haven’t read it yet.

After relocating it from my driveway to the basement, I waited about 36 hours before plugging it in. Before doing so, I placed a thermometer (with humidity readout) inside; the temperature read 73 degrees. So, at that point, I plugged it in and placed the unit’s digital setting at 56 degrees. When I returned after 9 hours to check on the unit, it reported that the temperature inside was 58 degrees (with 48 percent humidity). Pretty good! This morning, I put about 25 bottles of wine in it, applied my wine.woot window decal to the front glass door, and stood back to pat myself on the back. Note that I left the “good stuff” in the Urbina because it’s been reliable so far and I have the temperature set exactly the way I like it right now.

This brings up an important point: before I purchased the used VinoTemp, I read some online reviews of it. Yes, they’ve been quite mixed. A few people said that their units stopped working after about 18 months, just after the original warranty ran out. Here’s the scary part: a couple people said that their units actually *froze* their entire wine collection, ruining everything. Well…after reading the reviews, I decided to take my chances. I mean, they sold thousands of these units at Costco, if I remember correctly. And if the unit ruined all my wine, I’d be upset and as vocal about it as I could. But I assume that these situations are fairly rare.

The unit, if new, would have cost me around $600 at Costco and up to $800 or so at other places, not including the very high shipping costs (Amazon.com has it for $734 shipped right now). I really needed the cellar space, so. I’m going to take my chances. But, at least at this point, I am not brave enough to put the “good stuff” in the VinoTemp, and won’t for several months (if ever). I plan to monitor it fairly closely, too. It has a digital readout and I’ve got the digital thermometer inside so that I can double-check what’s going on in there. The Ebay seller also said that he offers a 3-month parts guarantee; that is, if something goes wrong, he’ll mail me parts and instructions. Not much of a guarantee but better than nothing, I guess.

I just checked the Ebay site, and it appears that the seller still has 496 of these units left. I checked out his feedback before I bought it, and it was good. And if anything does go wrong from this point forward, I’ll make sure to post it here to let you know. If anyone has any specific questions about it, or my purchasing experience in general, let me know.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Just stopping back in to say that the key did, indeed, arrive as promised. And everything seems to be running so far as I expected.

MaskedMarvel

I can't say enough about Craigslist. I'm on my way to get one of these, new in the box, for $150. I refresh that site every hour. I'd always recommend you deal with the sellers in cash only, in public places (like police station parking lots), bring exact change, and a friend to back you up. Can't be too safe! Buyer beware, but I've never had any problems with the other stuff I've gotten.

In other cooler news - Best Buy has this and this on clearance B&M. I tried to pricematch them to cheaper, but they wouldn't do it. The Danbys are notorious for crapping out, so get the extended warranty and watch the temperature religiously!

Good luck!

EDIT - the first BB link was ~$210 B&M. They were OOS on the other.

EDITEDIT - And, I got screwed. Cooler is dead. I'll let you know if the seller refunds, or WineEnthusiast is any help. Bummer...

bkarney

MaskedMarvel wrote:And, I got screwed. Cooler is dead. I'll let you know if the seller refunds, or WineEnthusiast is any help. Bummer...

Ouch, sorry to hear that man. Any chance on a manufacturer warranty?? Does it look used or did it appear to be new, as advertised?

CT

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
MaskedMarvel wrote:I can't say enough about Craigslist. I'm on my way to get one of these, new in the box, for $150. I refresh that site every hour. I'd always recommend you deal with the sellers in cash only, in public places (like police station parking lots), bring exact change, and a friend to back you up. Can't be too safe! Buyer beware, but I've never had any problems with the other stuff I've gotten.

In other cooler news - Best Buy has this and this on clearance B&M. I tried to pricematch them to cheaper, but they wouldn't do it. The Danbys are notorious for crapping out, so get the extended warranty and watch the temperature religiously!

Good luck!

EDITEDIT - And, I got screwed. Cooler is dead. I'll let you know if the seller refunds, or WineEnthusiast is any help. Bummer...

Guess that's why you don't buy big/expensive electrical items in public places ... =X

stuff like TV's, game systems, coolers - go to their house and make them plug it in, otherwise you get what you pay for ... would you buy a car without putting the keys in and driving it first?

not to be a d!ck but that was my first thought when I read your opening line about your craigslist shopping advice, and then I saw your edit ... sorry about your rip off, hopefully you can track this person down and get your cash back

I found my 100 bottle restaurant quality cooler on c-list, and didn't hand the guy a cent till I plugged it in and turned on the lights, etc. Of course now it has a bit of a coolant leak and gets hot, but I can get that fixed with a phone call to a repair man, and I still spent 1/3rd the original cost.

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

LoonBoarder

MaskedMarvel wrote:In other cooler news - Best Buy has this and this on clearance B&M. I tried to pricematch them to cheaper, but they wouldn't do it. The Danbys are notorious for crapping out, so get the extended warranty and watch the temperature religiously!

Meh. I have one of the former (Silhouette 30 bottle dual zone) sitting in my basement, dead - the compressor runs but it doesn't cool. If I can find a refrigeration repair person with reasonable rates, I *may* consider having them make a house call. Already bought a replacement, but it's chock full (thanks wine.woot and WineDavid!) Anyone in the southern NH area (a) know of a reasonable refrigeration person or (b) want to take this off my hands?

Dude... wait, what?

bkarney

LoonBoarder wrote:Meh. I have one of the former (Silhouette 30 bottle dual zone) sitting in my basement, dead - the compressor runs but it doesn't cool. If I can find a refrigeration repair person with reasonable rates, I *may* consider having them make a house call. Already bought a replacement, but it's chock full (thanks wine.woot and WineDavid!) Anyone in the southern NH area (a) know of a reasonable refrigeration person or (b) want to take this off my hands?

Prior to trying to get rid of it it may be worth checking the freon. Could be as simple as that

CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
MaskedMarvel wrote:I can't say enough about Craigslist. I'm on my way to get one of these, new in the box, for $150. I refresh that site every hour. I'd always recommend you deal with the sellers in cash only, in public places (like police station parking lots), bring exact change, and a friend to back you up. Can't be too safe! Buyer beware, but I've never had any problems with the other stuff I've gotten.

Good luck!

That is the funniest quote I've ever seen on woot. Sorry, Marvel, CL is a sewage pit of buyers and sellers. Anything electronic really needs to be plugged in before I hand over money.

I'm guilty of being a schmuck and negotiating down on the spot, bringing less money than necessarily advertised.

signed.

bkarney

canonizer wrote:That is the funniest quote I've ever seen on woot. Sorry, Marvel, CL is a sewage pit of buyers and sellers. Anything electronic really needs to be plugged in before I hand over money.

I'm guilty of being a schmuck and negotiating down on the spot, bringing less money than necessarily advertised.

Trust me you are not alone!! Anyone that hasn't tried screwing with the nit-wits at Brand's Mart is missing out. They act like vultures so I treat them accordingly...screw them on the price and then let them split up the $10 commission. gotta love it

CT

bkarney

bkarney wrote:Trust me you are not alone!! Anyone that hasn't tried screwing with the nit-wits at Brand's Mart is missing out. They act like vultures so I treat them accordingly...screw them on the price and then let them split up the $10 commission like it's a scrap of meat on a bone (simile! he he). gotta love it

Yeah that was supposed to be an edit....where is that coffee?

CT

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

I'm thinking about picking up this Frigidaire, 42 bottle Wine Cooler ($299 + Tax):

- Reversible, tinted glass door blocks harmful UV rays that could damage your beverages
- Interior lighting with an "Always On" option, allowing you to showcase your collection
- Vinyl coated, black wire shelves for added durability
- 6 slide-out wine shelves
- Removable lower display rack
- Electronic control Thermostat with LCD display
- Lockable

Also has an available ESP for 2 years $29.

I've done a search and I can't seem to find peoples experience with Frigidaire or this cooler on the woot forums or via Google. There also aren't any reviews on the Lowe's website for this Frigidaire chiller or others.

I don't have a truck or a vehicle to pick it up in myself, but a friend does. I'd hate to bring it home, have it be a piece of junk and ask for my friend's help a second time to return it.

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
mgdsh wrote:I'm thinking about picking up this Frigidaire, 42 bottle Wine Cooler ($299 + Tax)

42 bottles isn't that much - this is wine.woot, trust me.

You can probably get a similar or better deal at home depot, and save an extra 10% if you open a credit account at the same time.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

mgdsh

timbyrd wrote:42 bottles isn't that much - this is wine.woot, trust me.

You can probably get a similar or better deal at home depot, and save an extra 10% if you open a credit account at the same time.

-- T

Ah yea possible. Ive seen the products @ Home depot in a similar price range and from all the reviews, they're not that great. I'm also somewhat against opening credit accounts just for a 10% discount.

Hopefully someone can chime in to the quaility of Frigidaire wine coolers.

Thanks!

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
andyduncan wrote:... What I ended up doing was converting an old freezer I had into a ghetto wine fridge. Cost me about $60 total as I already had the freezer. It's a small standup-style freezer, I don't know how many cubic feet. It's bigger than a mini fridge, but smaller than a regular one.

Humidity: don't know if this is a problem yet, I don't think it is. We have relatively mild humidity where I live. It isn't a frost-free freezer, so it's probably just fine. There is some condensation on the coils, which probably means that after I open the door and then close it again, the humidity inside is slightly higher than the humidity outside. I haven't gotten my hygrometer yet though, so we'll see, but i'm not worried.

"I'm not worried", Famous last words. Anyway, two years later (almost to the day!) my fridge has finally been replaced. I outgrew it about a year ago, but have been able to keep things shuffled between the fridge, my closet, and my cubicle at work.

Unfortunately this led to my cubicle looking like this:

Count the semesters of private school for WDs kids!

That's roughly six cases, far more than my poor little freezer-turned-fridge can swallow, and more than my cubicle can handle.

What's worse though, and I don't have pictures of this, was the humidity and condensation in my little fridge were causing the coils to rust, over time, this got worse, and eventually I had a pretty steady rust-filled rain of condensed humidity and bits of metal. Which not only indicated my fridge would eventually start spewing refrigerant into my house, but was ruining all my wine labels with a rusty rain.

Fearing my fridge was about kaput, I started looking. After being out-swooped several times on coolers I found on craigslist, I was able to swoop on this one:

It's a couple years older, but the unit was replaced recently (according to the prior owner, a very nice lady), it fits about 300-350 bottles (depending on bottle height, the corisons, for example, are too tall to go two-deep).

WD looks at all this space and drools, happy BD WD!

There's some slight water damage at the bottom and some of the racks might need to be replaced, but overall it's a great cooler, and it was reasonably priced.

Oh, and the damn thing is 7 feet tall and weighs about 300 lbs. Took three people to move it. Other than that, I'm stoked.

So, other than to brag and make fun of all of your obviously inferior coolers, the point of this post was to be a cautionary tale for those who thought they might follow in my footsteps and hack a freezer to use as a wine fridge: It works, just not forever, and if you do it, try to find one with coated coils or a completely sealed cooling system. Bare galvanized coils aren't enough.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

Anyone know anything about VINTAGE KEEPER wine cellars? There's one on craigslist for a 220 bottle cellar for $300. about 4 years old... Michelle thinks we have to be sure that it will last a good 10 years at least, since our big 120-bottle magic chef conked out after 18 months.

Looks like new ones are available for $800-1000+ plus a couple hundred shipping, which makes this a pretty good deal... even if it's one of the "build it yourself" deals... just seeing if anyone around has one or knows anything about it.

MaskedMarvel

There's a rumour that Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric coolers are on sale at Target B&M for $99. I'll check it out here locally tomorrow and report asap...

MaskedMarvel

MaskedMarvel wrote:There's a rumour that Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric coolers are on sale at Target B&M for $99. I'll check it out here locally tomorrow and report asap...

Confirmed! Back lit and electronic temp control. This is a very good deal. Make sure you keep your receipt if they die on you. Go GO GOOOOOOOO!!!!

jhammond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammond
MaskedMarvel wrote:Confirmed! Back lit and electronic temp control. This is a very good deal. Make sure you keep your receipt if they die on you. Go GO GOOOOOOOO!!!!

Out of curiosity, where did you see it was $99? They had it for $134 here.

MaskedMarvel

jhammond wrote:Out of curiosity, where did you see it was $99? They had it for $134 here.

Greensboro NC

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

+++++++++++++++++++
Your attention please:
+++++++++++++++++++
Target has this 28-bottle wine cooler on clearance for $50

Regularly $199.99. I bought the same one on sale several months ago for $139. Works great. Not sure if every Target store has the same clearance items, but it would be well worth your time to check. Thanks for the info, Jopo! Another friend who works at Target called me at 9:26 this morning to tell me about the cooler too. Mixed emotions about that, including: 1) I'm not a morning person, why the frak are you calling me so (relatively) early on a Saturday? 2) What a good friend to let me know about a deal! 3) Does everyone see a wine-related product on sale and think "hey... that lush Eric would dig this"?
+++++++++++++++++++
end
+++++++++++++++++++

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

MaskedMarvel

eric9tx wrote:+++++++++++++++++++
Your attention please:
+++++++++++++++++++
Target has this 28-bottle wine cooler on clearance for $50

Regularly $199.99. I bought the same one on sale several months ago for $139. Works great. Not sure if every Target store has the same clearance items, but it would be well worth your time to check. Thanks for the info, Jopo! Another friend who works at Target called me at 9:26 this morning to tell me about the cooler too. Mixed emotions about that, including: 1) I'm not a morning person, why the frak are you calling me so (relatively) early on a Saturday? 2) What a good friend to let me know about a deal! 3) Does everyone see a wine-related product on sale and think "hey... that lush Eric would dig this"?
+++++++++++++++++++
end
+++++++++++++++++++

This is slightly different from the one that I posted that was available to me.

Was yours a Vinotemp? Mine are working fine (down to ~60 degrees in two days) so far...

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

If I was in Arizona, I'd be all over this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140277977381

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MaskedMarvel

Advertised -

Home Depot has the Magic Chef 48 Bottle Wine Cooler on sale friday morning for ~$180 after MIR. Since you can get it for $10 more online right now, without the headache of a rebate, I don't know why you'd bother (unless the price is BEFORE mail in rebate, these Black Friday websites can be confusing).

Not sure if that's the exact one, either. I just got an email about it.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Bumping this up because I am well out of room in my 30 bottle cooler.

Anyone know of any deals?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Bumping this up because I am well out of room in my 30 bottle cooler.

Anyone know of any deals?

No, but I think next year I'll be getting one like AndyDuncan's.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MaskedMarvel wrote:There's a rumour that Vinotemp 28 bottle thermoelectric coolers are on sale at Target B&M for $99. I'll check it out here locally tomorrow and report asap...

So... In the past year I've bought 4 thermoelectric coolers. One Vinotemp 12-bottle for around $80 from Costco and 3 Haier dual-zone 18 bottle (6+12) units. Failure rate w/in 9 mos: 50% (less if you count by zones).

The 12 bottle was the first to go. Something fried and the cooler will hover at about 47F regardless of the temp setting (currently at like 64F). Vinotemp quickly diagnosed a bad circuit board and sent a replacement which I easily installed to no avail. 3 emails to support since then have gone unacknowledged. DO NOT RECOMMEND VINOTEMP (mostly for inadequate customer service)!

One of the zones in one of the Haiers has stopped cooling (reports ambient room temp). Tech support has not acknowledged any of my 3 attempts at contact via their online support site. Fortunately, my basement where I have these is 55F right now, so my wine is 'safe' until summer. Regardless, the temp controls are very poor, the top zone does not go above 54F, all zones in all coolers run about 4F colder than the display, and the fans run 24/7 (Vinotemp only *really* runs when it's working. *REALLY* DO NOT RECOMMEND HAIER!

All temp. stats confirmed by ThermoHawk IR temp sensor.

In the end, the same old story seems to be true: you get what you pay for.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Corrado wrote:So... In the past year I've bought 4 thermoelectric coolers. One Vinotemp 12-bottle for around $80 from Costco and 3 Haier dual-zone 18 bottle (6+12) units. Failure rate w/in 9 mos: 50% (less if you count by zones).

The 12 bottle was the first to go. Something fried and the cooler will hover at about 47F regardless of the temp setting (currently at like 64F). Vinotemp quickly diagnosed a bad circuit board and sent a replacement which I easily installed to no avail. 3 emails to support since then have gone unacknowledged. DO NOT RECOMMEND VINOTEMP (mostly for inadequate customer service)!

One of the zones in one of the Haiers has stopped cooling (reports ambient room temp). Tech support has not acknowledged any of my 3 attempts at contact via their online support site. Fortunately, my basement where I have these is 55F right now, so my wine is 'safe' until summer. Regardless, the temp controls are very poor, the top zone does not go above 54F, all zones in all coolers run about 4F colder than the display, and the fans run 24/7 (Vinotemp only *really* runs when it's working. *REALLY* DO NOT RECOMMEND HAIER!

All temp. stats confirmed by ThermoHawk IR temp sensor.

In the end, the same old story seems to be true: you get what you pay for.

I've been happy with the Magic Chef Dual-Zone 44 bottle I got from Costco last February. No problems (knock on J-Dub's head) so far.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

snk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snk

So I figured I'd contribute for a change and post about my experience with two wine fridges from the Wine Enthusiast. I skimmed through all the pages so far and didn't see a lot of feedback on these so I figured this would be useful.

I initially acquired the 28-bottle Silent Wine Refrigerator found here. I bought it in January '08 and so far it has been working great, maintaining a pretty constant temperature and never more than one or two degrees off from the temperature set on the digital display.

After I started buying more wine from wine.woot, combined with my wife's new appointment at a wine and cheese store (and more importantly, her discount there), we quickly ran out of space in the 28-bottle fridge. I had a copious amount of Marriott rewards points that I had to burn (I switched from Marriott to Hilton so I wasn't collecting anymore and didn't want them to expire) so I went ahead and burned all of my points on a Wine Enthusiast 48-bottle, double-door, dual-zone, Silent Refrigerator (found here).

I got the 48-bottle fridge in September '08 and so far it seems to be doing well. I just moved the thermometer from my 28-bottle unit to my 48-bottle unit so I'll get a better idea of exact temperatures over the next few months. However, the fridge has been doing well so far based on "touch" when handling the bottles. One annoying thing about this unit is that the digital display and temperature control intrudes upon the top row of both compartments, forcing you to take the bottles out of the second row and partially taking the top shelf out in order to be able to store bottles there. I'll either take the top shelf out and store sparkling bottles there or just stack the bottles in that area.

Both units are true to their name and very quiet. The 48-bottle one is actually two individual compartments so I use one for Reds and the other for Whites. I have both set to 55 degrees F as I am acquiring way more Reds than Whites and the White side is about to get invaded by the Reds. (Just bought a case of Belle Glos 2006 Las Alturas Pinots.)

They both live in the basement where it is nice and dark most of the time and has very little vibration.

I'm very happy with my investment thus far, although I'm not sure that I'd fork over $600 plus shipping for the 48-bottle version if it was my own money (versus the points I used). (Off topic but I was very impressed with Marriott Rewards when they didn't charge me freight for shipping the 48-bottle fridge! FYI, it appears that SkyMall fulfilled the order.) If I owned my primary residence, I would rather put that $600 towards a dedicated wine cellar with its own air temperature control unit. However, I currently rent so the wine fridge was the way to go.

I hope this info helps anybody researching wine refrigerators!

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

Here's a deal at WineEnthusiast.
16 bottle copper trim cooler for $119.99 shipped w/free 2 yr warranty if purchased before 2009
Item: 272 02 19
List Price: $179.95
Sale Price: $119.99 You Save 33%
Shipping: $35.00 This item SHIPS FREE!

Special Holiday Offer: Receive a Free 2-Year Warranty when you purchase a Wine Enthusiast Silent Wine Refrigerator on or before 12/31/08.

Although small, the reviews seem pretty good on this one, and advertised as:
"As Featured in The Wall Street Journal
Voted Best Overall"

I'm curious if anyone thinks this is indeed a good deal on a "starter" cooler- other than the color.
Comments?? since there's less than 2 hours to order for the 2 yr warranty??
~yep, I'm considering it although my wines may never need storage before they're actually drunk~

Edit: Well, I just ordered it. And somehow got a $18 discount... bringing the total to 101.99. I replied to the order confirmation about the timing(was slightly after midnight before it processed), and asked a cancellation if the 2 yr warranty did not apply. Some good reviews on this one... will update if anything goes wrong, and my reviews down the road.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
psmurf wrote:Here's a deal at WineEnthusiast.
16 bottle copper trim cooler for $119.99 shipped w/free 2 yr warranty if purchased before 2009
Item: 272 02 19
List Price: $179.95
Sale Price: $119.99 You Save 33%
Shipping: $35.00 This item SHIPS FREE!

Special Holiday Offer: Receive a Free 2-Year Warranty when you purchase a Wine Enthusiast Silent Wine Refrigerator on or before 12/31/08.

Although small, the reviews seem pretty good on this one, and advertised as:
"As Featured in The Wall Street Journal
Voted Best Overall"

I'm curious if anyone thinks this is indeed a good deal on a "starter" cooler- other than the color.
Comments?? since there's less than 2 hours to order for the 2 yr warranty??
~yep, I'm considering it although my wines may never need storage before they're actually drunk~

Edit: Well, I just ordered it. And somehow got a $18 discount... bringing the total to 101.99. I replied to the order confirmation about the timing(was slightly after midnight before it processed), and asked a cancellation if the 2 yr warranty did not apply. Some good reviews on this one... will update if anything goes wrong, and my reviews down the road.

Bump:
It has shipped. This looks like it might still be available with everything above(not sure about the 2 yr warranty), but free shipping does apply, and the 15% is good until 1-05-09(that applied to my order previously). Not bad for a small(16 bottle) cooler/cellar with good reviews.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

tlonsammie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlonsammie

Did you end up with the Frigidaire? I'm interested in it, also. Or anything in the 40-50 bottle range that is quiet. It's going in my master closet. It will be on carpet. Anyone have any problems with putting one on carpet?

mgdsh wrote:I'm thinking about picking up this Frigidaire, 42 bottle Wine Cooler ($299 + Tax):

- Reversible, tinted glass door blocks harmful UV rays that could damage your beverages
- Interior lighting with an "Always On" option, allowing you to showcase your collection
- Vinyl coated, black wire shelves for added durability
- 6 slide-out wine shelves
- Removable lower display rack
- Electronic control Thermostat with LCD display
- Lockable

Also has an available ESP for 2 years $29.

I've done a search and I can't seem to find peoples experience with Frigidaire or this cooler on the woot forums or via Google. There also aren't any reviews on the Lowe's website for this Frigidaire chiller or others.

I don't have a truck or a vehicle to pick it up in myself, but a friend does. I'd hate to bring it home, have it be a piece of junk and ask for my friend's help a second time to return it.

mgdsh

tlonsammie wrote:Did you end up with the Frigidaire? I'm interested in it, also. Or anything in the 40-50 bottle range that is quiet. It's going in my master closet. It will be on carpet. Anyone have any problems with putting one on carpet?

Yup. Ironically I ended up buying a second one today.

I thought the first one was great. Kept the temperature @ 55-56 degrees with out a problem, had a tinted glass on the front keeping unnecessary light out and I noticed minimal to no vibration. I purchased that last cooler back in October I think and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

The only draw back to it is that the shelves as designed aren't accommodating to Pinot bottles. As a result I took 1 shelf out and I have 36 total bottles in the fridge (not the advertised 42). If I didn't have any Pinot bottles that wouldn't be an issue.

*edit*: I too rest mine on the carpet with out any issues.

tlonsammie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlonsammie

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to check out Lowes.

mgdsh wrote:Yup. Ironically I ended up buying a second one today.

I thought the first one was great. Kept the temperature @ 55-56 degrees with out a problem, had a tinted glass on the front keeping unnecessary light out and I noticed minimal to no vibration. I purchased that last cooler back in October I think and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

The only draw back to it is that the shelves as designed aren't accommodating to Pinot bottles. As a result I took 1 shelf out and I have 36 total bottles in the fridge (not the advertised 42). If I didn't have any Pinot bottles that wouldn't be an issue.

*edit*: I too rest mine on the carpet with out any issues.