+ Add a Comment

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
clayfu wrote:pretty much everyone does because they are sized to fit standard bordeaux bottles. A large chunk of bottles from Southern France, California are shaped in large obtuse bottles for absolutely no reason at all.

I wish all wineries would put in the same shape bottle.. sigh.

bordeaux bottles > other bottles

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
bhodilee wrote:bordeaux bottles > other bottles

huh?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

bhodilee

themostrighteous wrote:huh?

bordeaux bottles are greater than other bottles, joke from the main thread about WD being greater than Robert Parker. failed joke now that I've had to explain it. Did i get the greater than symbol wrong though? I have NEVER been able to keep those two straight.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:huh?

Shoulders, yo. They keep the chunky bits in the bottle instead of in the glasses. Which is why I have no idea why Turley uses the exaggerated Burgundy shape.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:Shoulders, yo. They keep the chunky bits in the bottle instead of in the glasses. Which is why I have no idea why Turley uses the exaggerated Burgundy shape.

i had interpreted bowtie's ">" to mean that Bordeaux bottles are bigger (in the storage context used here) than other bottles, which is neither true (the Burgundians are the real beyatches to store in cooler racks as you pointed out) nor what he intended, so never you mind.

bhodilee

themostrighteous wrote:i had interpreted bowtie's ">" to mean that Bordeaux bottles are bigger (in the storage context used here) than other bottles, which is neither true (the Burgundians are the real beyatches to store in cooler racks as you pointed out) nor what he intended, so never you mind.

Beautiful, my plan to engender disharmony into the dark side is coming to fruition, soon there will be open rebellion, and from the ashes I shall step forward to claim my rightful throne.

Course, now I just up and blew that. Oh well.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

I dont' know if anyone's noticed but alot of Napa Cabs come in extra elongated bottles. Their diameter is the same as a typical bordeaux bottle but its a good 1 inch longer.

I realized this when i was packing my wine into boxes and i couldn't fit quite a few of my napa cabs into standard packing boxes.

themostrighteous

bhodilee wrote:Beautiful, my plan to engender disharmony into the dark side is coming to fruition, soon there will be open rebellion, and from the ashes I shall step forward to claim my rightful throne.

Course, now I just up and blew that. Oh well.

not nearly as hugely as that back-and-forth blew up on the main thread. WOW! i haven't seen one of those in a while, and, for once, i (wisely) decided to end the day on a mellow note and NOT join the fray.

clayfu

themostrighteous wrote:not nearly as hugely as that back-and-forth blew up on the main thread. WOW! i haven't seen one of those in a while, and, for once, i (wisely) decided to end the day on a mellow note and NOT join the fray.

i like to start things. Its within my nature. I doubt any of them actually read this thread but i hate fruit bombs and never follow RP's ratings heh.

bhodilee

clayfu wrote:i like to start things. Its within my nature. I doubt any of them actually read this thread but i hate fruit bombs and never follow RP's ratings heh.

Clay, if that's true, and I seem to remember your disdain for fruit bombs, than I stand by my earlier assessment of clayfu > RP

Um, and it's hot in my house today, good thing I got that cooler in the basement.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
dsapp wrote:I'm having a problem, though I'm not sure there's really a solution. But I know this is the place to ask. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

A few months ago, along with many of you, I bought a Urbina Design UD28i thermoelectric wine cellar. The problem is that it's really tough to fit bottles in there. With so little room between the racks, I have scratched a few bottle labels taking them in and out.

Of course, since I am not a collector who intends to resell wine, it's not a huge deal that some of the labels get damaged, but when I have guests over and I want to pull out a special (and expensive) bottle, if the label is scratched.... I'm sure you understand, but what you you suggest?

Put the bottles in sideways (i.e. with the label facing left or right). No rule says the label has to be "face-up".

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

clayfu

bhodilee wrote:Clay, if that's true, and I seem to remember your disdain for fruit bombs, than I stand by my earlier assessment of clayfu > RP

Um, and it's hot in my house today, good thing I got that cooler in the basement.

my friend served me the SQN over and out.. i think its market price right now is about $250 and it was so fruity so sour i think i almost died. Of course 90% of the group of 15 said it was awesome. I enjoyed the 1966 bordeaux someone else brought much more =P

drinking with people much wealthier than you has its benefits!

clayfu

iByron wrote:Put the bottles in sideways (i.e. with the label facing left or right). No rule says the label has to be "face-up".

it think it still happens if the label wraps around almost the whole bottle.

bhodilee

clayfu wrote:my friend served me the SQN over and out.. i think its market price right now is about $250 and it was so fruity so sour i think i almost died. Of course 90% of the group of 15 said it was awesome. I enjoyed the 1966 bordeaux someone else brought much more =P

drinking with people much wealthier than you has its benefits!

I dunno, that'd put me in the class of those who drink thunderbird on the street corner. Discovering I actually like wine was a very bad thing.

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
clayfu wrote:it think it still happens if the label wraps around almost the whole bottle.

But not if they don't. And there's a lot of bottles that don't.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

clayfu

iByron wrote:But not if they don't. And there's a lot of bottles that don't.

i take pride in the fact that my wine bottles are so ostentatious that the whole thing is just covered in label. You don't even see the wine inside.

themostrighteous

clayfu wrote:i take pride in the fact that my wine bottles are so ostentatious that the whole thing is just covered in label. You don't even see the wine inside.

[insomnia post]

ROFLMAO indeed! and they say you don't have a sense of humor?!? PUH-LEASE!

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Thanks for the feedback.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
clayfu wrote:I dont' know if anyone's noticed but alot of Napa Cabs come in extra elongated bottles. Their diameter is the same as a typical bordeaux bottle but its a good 1 inch longer.

I realized this when i was packing my wine into boxes and i couldn't fit quite a few of my napa cabs into standard packing boxes.

Australia may be doing that too. My two new Durif's from the land down under are longer as well.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

clayfu

MarkDaSpark wrote:Australia may be doing that too. My two new Durif's from the land down under are longer as well.

you're absolutely right, i just remember I couldn't fit any of my shiraz's into the boxes.

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

Home depot has a Magic Chef 50 bottle cooler on sale for 199.99. Then has a $50 mail in rebate through the company, good for a little while longer. I have nearly $150 in CC rewards that I'll be redeeming at the end of this month and buying a second cooler for my apartment.

And I'm building a 500 bottle off-site storage rack at my parent's house. Time to fill it.

clayfu

ianchudson wrote:Home depot has a Magic Chef 50 bottle cooler on sale for 199.99. Then has a $50 mail in rebate through the company, good for a little while longer. I have nearly $150 in CC rewards that I'll be redeeming at the end of this month and buying a second cooler for my apartment.

And I'm building a 500 bottle off-site storage rack at my parent's house. Time to fill it.

there was a website from a lady who did her storage like yours with the pipe. It's pretty cool. Just on top of my monthly storage fees it tends to get expensive =P

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Anybody have any experience with KoolSpace wine rooms?

I'm looking at this one: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fur/664185563.html

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

clayfu

JOATMON wrote:Anybody have any experience with KoolSpace wine rooms?

*giggles* i just dont' trust their picture.

themostrighteous

JOATMON wrote:Anybody have any experience with KoolSpace wine rooms?

google KoolSpace wine room, click on the various links for retailers that offer them & read their reviews. most are quite negative. good luck.

MarkDaSpark

Cross-Posting from the Pub:

bhodilee wrote:That's why I said I DO curse that much, just not usually here as it's a more polite crowd. I'm a curser with a social conscience. Anyway, buy.com has a countertop 11 bottle wine cooler today

http://www.buy.com/prod/cuisinart-private-reserve-wine-cellar/q/loc/101/207984135.html

I'm not gonna buy it but someone might. I'm also not posting in the cooler thread cause I'm too frakking lazy. Someone else can if they feel the urge.

Good info.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Another cross post (from a thread someone opened:

norvegicus wrote:http://www.target.com/Vinotemp-28-Bottle-Free-Standing-Cellar-VT28TEDS/dp/B000QF3WY0/qid=1212951413/ref=br_1_6/601-8089642-2134552?ie=UTF8&node=10835391&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I got mine today.

shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

If you can find one at Circuit City still, i know they are on clearance so it may be VERY VERY hard to find one, but you can get the Sunbeam 34 bottle cellar for under $100, i picked one up a couple weeks ago.

Sad but true part is, it has 25 bottles in it already.....so it may be to small for some .... ooppsss

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Imagine4vr wrote:I just picked this up at Costco
http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?Dx=mode+matchallpartial&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&ViewAll=99&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ntk=Text_Search&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&D=Dan0618&search=Dan0618&Ntt=Dan0618&cm_mmc=BCEmail_311-_-FOCUS-_-16-_-Dan0618
Danby 35 bottle wine cellar for $199 plus tax, includes shipping.

Yeah, I've thought about that one multiple times since I had started looking. I had even passed on it back when they had it on sale for $149 (dumbass me). Let me know how you end up liking it, and if I see it go on sale again I'll probably end up picking one up. The single 28-bottle Urbina I have just doesn't cut it. I need more storage space.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, I've thought about that one multiple times since I had started looking. I had even passed on it back when they had it on sale for $149 (dumbass me). Let me know how you end up liking it, and if I see it go on sale again I'll probably end up picking one up. The single 28-bottle Urbina I have just doesn't cut it. I need more storage space.

HAK, you need a cave

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

ECost has the Cuisinart CWC-900 FR 11-bottle wine cooler for $69.00. Same unit at Overstock lists for $120.00. I've never personally had a problem with ECost, but I've read some horror stories. Seems like a really good deal.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

HitAnyKey42

Someone is selling a new Magic Chef 45-bottle MCWC45MCG on craigslist near me for $125. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm actually trying to find some specifications or price comparisons on this one, but it's being difficult.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Someone is selling a new Magic Chef 45-bottle MCWC45MCG on craigslist near me for $125. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm actually trying to find some specifications or price comparisons on this one, but it's being difficult.

Here's a start...

or direct to the owner's manual

clayfu

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Someone is selling a new Magic Chef 45-bottle MCWC45MCG on craigslist near me for $125. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm actually trying to find some specifications or price comparisons on this one, but it's being difficult.

i have a magic chef, i think it's a 52 bottle and it's pretty reliable.

HitAnyKey42

clayfu wrote:i have a magic chef, i think it's a 52 bottle and it's pretty reliable.

Thanks. Any opinion on the price the guy is asking? I couldn't find very many listings for this thing, but I found the same thing at the Home Depot site for $249. So I guess the $125 the guy is asking is a good deal. And probably good for any brand of 45-bottle cooler.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla

I currently own 2 Vinotemp 58 wine fridges in stainless steel. I bought one directly from Westside Wine Cellars (Vinotemp) as a scratch & dent & another from a seller on Craig's List. Alas, (darn you WD & wine.woot) my wine collection keeps growing, so I commenced a search for a larger capacity cellar/cooler. I stumbled upon something which may help someone here...

If you go to this site you will arrive at live.com. (I searched wine coolers. You must click the link with the live search cashback logo.) You can purchase a "buy it now" priced wine fridge, & receive 25% back from Microsoft if you pay with paypal. I was able to buy a scratch & dent Vinotemp 182 (180 bottle capacity) in black directly from Vinotemp. The buy it now price was $795.00, & I am getting $198.75 cash back! Please note, if you live in California you will be charged sales tax. There is a delivery charge or you may pick the unit up at Vinotemp (in the Los Angeles/Long Beach area).

I will be selling my 2 smaller units in a 10-14 days when my new unit arrives if any one is interested...

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

clayfu

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Thanks. Any opinion on the price the guy is asking? I couldn't find very many listings for this thing, but I found the same thing at the Home Depot site for $249. So I guess the $125 the guy is asking is a good deal. And probably good for any brand of 45-bottle cooler.

make sure it's a digital thermometer and not a dial. The one you posted I believe is a dial and those things are horrid

clayfu

luckyinla wrote:I currently own 2 Vinotemp 58 wine fridges in stainless steel. I bought one directly from Westside Wine Cellars (Vinotemp) as a scratch & dent & another from a seller on Craig's List. Alas, (darn you WD & wine.woot) my wine collection keeps growing, so I commenced a search for a larger capacity cellar/cooler. I stumbled upon something which may help someone here...

If you go to this site you will arrive at live.com. (I searched wine coolers. You must click the link with the live search cashback logo.) You can purchase a "buy it now" priced wine fridge, & receive 25% back from Microsoft if you pay with paypal. I was able to buy a scratch & dent Vinotemp 182 (180 bottle capacity) in black directly from Vinotemp. The buy it now price was $795.00, & I am getting $198.75 cash back! Please note, if you live in California you will be charged sales tax. There is a delivery charge or you may pick the unit up at Vinotemp (in the Los Angeles/Long Beach area).

I will be selling my 2 smaller units in a 10-14 days when my new unit arrives if any one is interested...

My buddy got a 300+ bottle from the Vinotemp as a "stratch/dent" for $1300. Sick price.

HitAnyKey42

clayfu wrote:make sure it's a digital thermometer and not a dial. The one you posted I believe is a dial and those things are horrid

It is the dial temp control, but that's also the same thing I got on my Urbina. The digital ones are still a little out of my price range at the moment, so I guess I'll just have to live with the dial ones and find some good min/max temp gauges.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings