UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

I got mine and the biggest fit problem was the lovely Concannon Petite Sirah. I only managed to fit 3 on the bottom shelf. On the other shelves I could get 4 by alternating tops and bottoms. But for the price I've got no complaints.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
UBlink wrote:I got mine and the biggest fit problem was the lovely Concannon Petite Sirah. I only managed to fit 3 on the bottom shelf. On the other shelves I could get 4 by alternating tops and bottoms. But for the price I've got no complaints.

urbina is temporarily back in stock.

EDIT - back out of stock - hope it was one of you!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I get my Urbina Monday, cant' wait, I can finally get wine out of boxes, which I've tilted slightly to keep the corks wet. I figured with a lack of "ideal" storage the best place for them was in the box. Now 28 of my favorites can go in the cooler. I noticed some scalloped molding at Lowes the other day that is just screaming for me to make a wine rack out of it. The scallops are just wide enough and deep enough for the neck of a wine bottle, so minimal cutting will be needed. Though If I do this before I finish the bathroom the DF will cut me.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

thatguy314

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thatguy314
bhodilee wrote:I get my Urbina Monday, cant' wait, I can finally get wine out of boxes, which I've tilted slightly to keep the corks wet. I figured with a lack of "ideal" storage the best place for them was in the box. Now 28 of my favorites can go in the cooler. I noticed some scalloped molding at Lowes the other day that is just screaming for me to make a wine rack out of it. The scallops are just wide enough and deep enough for the neck of a wine bottle, so minimal cutting will be needed. Though If I do this before I finish the bathroom the DF will cut me.

Mine's due for delivery today. Some people on overstock said it was noisy. Have you noticed that at all?

bhodilee

thatguy314 wrote:Mine's due for delivery today. Some people on overstock said it was noisy. Have you noticed that at all?

Dont' have it yet, but I've read that on there also. Mines gonna go in the basement so it would have to be incredibly noisy to cause any issues.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
thatguy314 wrote:Mine's due for delivery today. Some people on overstock said it was noisy. Have you noticed that at all?

I got a good friend of mine to get one. He loves it. No noise complaints.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

MaskedMarvel

Next to zero noise in mine. Very happy with it.

thatguy314

bhodilee wrote:Dont' have it yet, but I've read that on there also. Mines gonna go in the basement so it would have to be incredibly noisy to cause any issues.

I live in a studio. I have one little side room where I keep my wine rack, but I have some shelving in there that's about 1" too short to fit the cooler underneath, so I'd probably keep it in the main room. If it's too noisy I'll see if I'm able to raise the shelving. That'll probably mean selling off the wine rack cuz I have nowhere else that's dark to keep it.

bhodilee

thatguy314 wrote:I live in a studio. I have one little side room where I keep my wine rack, but I have some shelving in there that's about 1" too short to fit the cooler underneath, so I'd probably keep it in the main room. If it's too noisy I'll see if I'm able to raise the shelving. That'll probably mean selling off the wine rack cuz I have nowhere else that's dark to keep it.

Did you get the extended warranty? From what I remember reading someone ripped theirs open and replaced the fan and that took care of the noise. The culprit was your standard case fan for a computer if I remember right. I could be totally making this up as I go though.

thatguy314

bhodilee wrote:Did you get the extended warranty? From what I remember reading someone ripped theirs open and replaced the fan and that took care of the noise. The culprit was your standard case fan for a computer if I remember right. I could be totally making this up as I go though.

No I didn't. The only thing I buy extendded warranty for is my laptop and that's because of accidental damage coverage. Did anyone purchase it/specific reasons?

thatguy314

I officially have too much wine and am not allowed to purchase anymore until I drink some of it.

Even keeping most of my screwcaps off the rack (yes 7 bottles of wolftrap)
Even with 28(29 counting half bottles) of storage added by the wine fridge
Even with the bottle of SB that's chilling in my fridge,

I still can't empty out all my bottles from my cardboard boxes!

On the other hand, I went across the street and unpacked the fridge. It's quite silent, though I'm not sure if where it's sitting now is where it's going to stay. I need to buy another fermometer to stick to the inside because it doesn't have a temperature readout.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Mine's in the basement too, so wouldn't notice any noise...but whenever I'm near it it's very quiet.
And I also need to find some way to stop buying wine...I've at least 120+ bottles still sitting in boxes. I'll set up a "box rack" this weekend after I sort through the wine and I'll post some picks for ya'll to laugh at.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

thatguy314 wrote:No I didn't. The only thing I buy extendded warranty for is my laptop and that's because of accidental damage coverage. Did anyone purchase it/specific reasons?

I got it cause it was ten bucks and if it stops working they just give you a refund since it was under $215, figured the coupon code basically paid for it so why not. I agree, the only thing I get a warranty on is laptops, and now fridges, when I buy another one in five or six years.

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Mine's in the basement too, so wouldn't notice any noise...but whenever I'm near it it's very quiet.
And I also need to find some way to stop buying wine...I've at least 120+ bottles still sitting in boxes. I'll set up a "box rack" this weekend after I sort through the wine and I'll post some picks for ya'll to laugh at.

Ya know, they say where there's a will there's a way. Or is that the problem?

HitAnyKey42

bhodilee wrote:I got it cause it was ten bucks and if it stops working they just give you a refund since it was under $215, figured the coupon code basically paid for it so why not. I agree, the only thing I get a warranty on is laptops, and now fridges, when I buy another one in five or six years.

I also got the warranty for the same reason. Otherwise I typically never get warranties...even on computers. Though I haven't bought any laptops yet (next one will be).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I also got the warranty for the same reason. Otherwise I typically never get warranties...even on computers. Though I haven't bought any laptops yet (next one will be).

Do NOT buy a compaq and get a warranty. Laptops, at least ones I own, seem to like to die right after their warranty period and it's not like a desktop where parts are cheap and easy to swap out. I want one of those Nokia internet tablets. I also want a phone with wi-fi, but Verizon vacuums that way.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

One thing to watch out for with the Urbana coolers...

The "light" appears to be a "white" LED. There are several ways to create "white" LEDs, some cheaper than others.

The cheapest is to use a UV LED, and put in fluorescing material in the encapsulant. Just like fluorescent lights. And, like fluorescent lights, there is UV leakage.

You might not want to keep the light on....

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:One thing to watch out for with the Urbana coolers...

The "light" appears to be a "white" LED. There are several ways to create "white" LEDs, some cheaper than others.

The cheapest is to use a UV LED, and put in fluorescing material in the encapsulant. Just like fluorescent lights. And, like fluorescent lights, there is UV leakage.

You might not want to keep the light on....

Well I wasn't planning on leaving the light on anyway. But is there anything that we can do about it to resolve that issue if we actually decided we wanted to be able to keep the light on?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

thatguy314

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well I wasn't planning on leaving the light on anyway. But is there anything that we can do about it to resolve that issue if we actually decided we wanted to be able to keep the light on?

The light vacuums anyways.

mdscholar

quality posts: 187 Private Messages mdscholar
thatguy314 wrote:I officially have too much wine and am not allowed to purchase anymore until I drink some of it. ... I still can't empty out all my bottles from my cardboard boxes!

My problem as well. I just finished putting wine in my new Magic Chef (from Costco coupon) Dual Zone. 28 bottles in the lower (red) zone and 16 bottles in the upper (white) zone. Although, I have so many reds, I'm thinking of making both red zones.

And I still have bottles left out, with 3 whites and 12 reds on the way from Wine.Woot!

Well, at least my son (21) will assist in my wine tasting.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MaskedMarvel

Anyone tried flipping the door on that urbina? How'd it go for you. I'm thinking of it to put them side by side....

bhodilee

Got my cooler yesterday but didn't take it out of the box. Will need to clear some space in the basement this weekend so I figure it's safest in the box, and hey, that's what I need in my house is more f'n boxes.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

My fridge is nice & quiet. By the time I got around to recommending it to a friend the bastages at overstock had run out!

Oh well. Since my apartment is about 60 degrees the viability of its cooling power won't really be tested for a few months.

Has anyone investigated whether the cooling method employed by these coolers is more or less power intensive than normal means?

signed.

MaskedMarvel

The Danby 30 bottle two zone wine fridge is reportedly on sale at Sam's Club for $101.02

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=128593

Also - The Danby kegerator is also on sale $170.04

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=158307

This deal is YMMV and B&M

If anyone knows if this Kegerator is any good, I'd appreciate the head's up.

Stolen from SD.
8-Damien

HitAnyKey42

MaskedMarvel wrote:The Danby 30 bottle two zone wine fridge is reportedly on sale at Sam's Club for $101.02

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=128593

Can anyone confirm whether the temp zones can be reversed so as to have 10 bottles of White and 20 bottles of Red? Or all Red?
Also does anyone have this one? If so, anything to say about it? I obviously need another one as my Urbina is already full and I got about 160 bottles of wine just sitting around the basement in boxes, and my Bordeaux futures still haven't even been shipped yet.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

One of my friends ordered 3 Urbinas and he is delighted with them. His are whisper-quiet and cool nicely. Great buy. Too bad Overstock is out of them and apparently is not expecting more (at least as of now so they say).

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

My apartment is a balmy 61 degrees* in the winter so the noise hasn't really come into play yet.

*I'm cheap and don't like to turn the heat on. This is one of the many reasons I shop at woot - cheapness.

signed.

jokofoto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jokofoto

x-posted from the pub...

jokofoto wrote:Also, my local B&M Target had the Vinotemp 28 bottle wine cooler marked down to $149.99.
Still $199.99 online

YMMV

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

Just in case folks haven't seen the Vinotemp 500EC is on sale at Costco.com. Maybe not quite as affordable as the 'O' deals, were, but then they didn't hold 450 bottles, either.

CT | | | | | |

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Can anyone confirm whether the temp zones can be reversed so as to have 10 bottles of White and 20 bottles of Red? Or all Red?
Also does anyone have this one? If so, anything to say about it? I obviously need another one as my Urbina is already full and I got about 160 bottles of wine just sitting around the basement in boxes, and my Bordeaux futures still haven't even been shipped yet.

I own this one. No idea if the zones can be reversed, but thinking of the tendency that cold air has for sinking, I'd doubt it would work out so well. But, dang it, we tend to fill up the red zone - I kind of wish we'd gone for a single zone fridge, set it somewhere in the middle of ideal temps for red & white, and 'adjust' what we're going to drink by (a) pulling the red out beforehand or (b) putting the white in the regular fridge for a little bit. I'll have to check on the ranges for the two zones and see if I could set them both to the same as though for all reds, and let you know.
[edit]
I found this in the specs:
Temperature Range: Upper Compartment - 50°-64°F; Lower Compartment - 41°-50°F
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details.asp?Ep=A/17780

Dude... wait, what?

HitAnyKey42

LoonBoarder wrote:I own this one. No idea if the zones can be reversed, but thinking of the tendency that cold air has for sinking, I'd doubt it would work out so well. But, dang it, we tend to fill up the red zone - I kind of wish we'd gone for a single zone fridge, set it somewhere in the middle of ideal temps for red & white, and 'adjust' what we're going to drink by (a) pulling the red out beforehand or (b) putting the white in the regular fridge for a little bit. I'll have to check on the ranges for the two zones and see if I could set them both to the same as though for all reds, and let you know.
[edit]
I found this in the specs:
Temperature Range: Upper Compartment - 50°-64°F; Lower Compartment - 41°-50°F
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details.asp?Ep=A/17780

Thanks for finding the specs. Guess I'll skip that one then, since the most important thing for me would be storing my reds at proper temp as none of my whites would need any sort of longterm storage and they would do just as well in the "red" fridge as just sitting in no fridge in my parents basement.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

Turnover is too high on my 28 bottle unit. If I wanted to throw caution (and money) to the wind, what do people recommend for a 150+ bottle unit?

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
kramsauer wrote:Turnover is too high on my 28 bottle unit. If I wanted to throw caution (and money) to the wind, what do people recommend for a 150+ bottle unit?

http://danby.com/product.asp?cod_prod=DWC166BLSRH&code=0010

I have this and love it. It won't hold as many bottles as they say because I ended up removing a shelf so I could stack up all my chubby pinot and syrah bottles. All wine cellar # of bottle specs tend to refer to bordeaux bottles. But seriously, highly recommended. It cost about $1600 including delivery from my local Danby vendor, plus tax.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kramsauer wrote:Turnover is too high on my 28 bottle unit. If I wanted to throw caution (and money) to the wind, what do people recommend for a 150+ bottle unit?

I found this site, and they offer different brands. I think they are having a sale on some that end this week. #5 is one of them (holds 140 to 180 bottles). The link should take you to the page of 100 to 200 bottle storage units. They also have less and more storage sizes.

http://www.winecellars-store.com/catalog/buy/Wine_Cellar/segment/wine_cellar_bottle_capacity_100_to_200_bottles/

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:I found this site, and they offer different brands. I think they are having a sale on some that end this week. #5 is one of them (holds 140 to 180 bottles). The link should take you to the page of 100 to 200 bottle storage units. They also have less and more storage sizes.

http://www.winecellars-store.com/catalog/buy/Wine_Cellar/segment/wine_cellar_bottle_capacity_100_to_200_bottles/

In the 200+ bottle section, they have one holding up to 233 bottles for about $100 more than the 180 bottle one.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

I still say check out compact appliance. We got our 120-bottle Fanklin Chef unit for about $800 after shipping. Also you get 3% Upromise if you do that sort of thing. I would recommend it.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

joelsisk wrote:I still say check out compact appliance. We got our 120-bottle Fanklin Chef unit for about $800 after shipping. Also you get 3% Upromise if you do that sort of thing. I would recommend it.

I'm really torn on what to do. My initial plan was to build a climate controlled cellar this spring, but I don't think I have the budget to do it all at once and the reality is that, right now, I really only need to 'protect' around 50 bottles that I plan to keep around for 5+ years. That said, I'd still like to put up the structure for the cellar, planning out venting for a split cooling system down the road.

What I'm considering is getting a 50ish bottle built-in-style cooler and actually building the structure of the cellar around it so that the bulk of the cooler is inside, but all the heat/venting goes out of the cellar into the basement.

Where I'm torn is that I don't know if I'm better off going 'cheap' and getting the Home Depot special for $200 or going 'good' and spending 3-5x as much for a thermoelectric/humidity controlling unit. I'm inclined to go 'cheap' since I really don't see the long-term value of going with a mid-line (can't spring $1000+ for a high-end jobbie; if I do that, I might as well go with the cellar chiller).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

Whatever you do, C, I'm sure it will be beautiful and amazing.

Meanwhile, there's a Vinotemp VT34 available for ~$100 on craigslist right now in my area -- anybody have any opinions on this one? I'm iffy on doing it because I already have my Haier 36 bottle, my shoddily constructed attempt at Corrado's wine cube, and I just ordered one of those 168-bottle wire shelving units. Anyone?

MaskedMarvel

Regular woot.com has thermometers for all us that Urbinaed. Thanks WD! I know, secretly, somewhere, you had something to do with it...

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
MaskedMarvel wrote:Regular woot.com has thermometers for all us that Urbinaed. Thanks WD! I know, secretly, somewhere, you had something to do with it...

NICE - thanks for the heads-up.

do you know... what biodynamics is?