jcathcart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcathcart

I read the reviews, looks like the temp control is just min-max, with no thermometer inside. I'm pretty sure we could pick one of those up on the next woot-off.

Been discussing with the hubby whether there is enough room in our tiny house for this, and it looks like my indescision might have payed off. Just wish Overstock had the bouncy button to warn me if I am taking too long.

wine woots: 17 (two non-wines)
woots: 9 (two wines)

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
jcathcart wrote:I read the reviews, looks like the temp control is just min-max, with no thermometer inside. I'm pretty sure we could pick one of those up on the next woot-off.

Been discussing with the hubby whether there is enough room in our tiny house for this, and it looks like my indescision might have payed off. Just wish Overstock had the bouncy button to warn me if I am taking too long.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been "bouncing" around trying to decide what to get, how many bottles, where to even put it, what to pay, etc, etc, etc for months now.

And my impatience already got ahold of me on this one as I've already purchased one, and with the coupon code it basically gave me the 2-yr protection thing for free, as 10% off the order brought it down to $93.58 and the cooler itself was 93.99.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Crossposted from the Sadler-Wells thread to get it out of there:

I really was trying to hold out for a wine cellar that held something more like 40-50 bottles, but this deal is almost looking too good to pass up. I was planning on getting a non-thermoelectric one (which would hold more bottles for less money) but haven't found a great deal yet and don't want to spend more than $250. I am almost considering ordering two of these.

Anyone have any additional thoughts about it in particular or the whole idea of the thermoelectric over compressor, especially considering the fact I sorta wanted something that held more bottles. After all, I've currently got over 80 bottles still sitting in their shipping boxes in my basement.

And did anyone spend the extra 9.99 for the 2-year protection plan? I'm assuming on something like this, it's worth it.

grate88 (or anyone else), does this have a dial temp control or a digital temp control? Is there a digital temp readout?

As someone who got 2 28-bottle thermoelectrics, had 1 of them break within a year, and then got a really nice 180-ish bottle cooler, I would recommend just buying today what you really need. If you have 80 bottles already that need cellaring, what good will 28 bottles of capacity do you?

HitAnyKey42

aces219 wrote:As someone who got 2 28-bottle thermoelectrics, had 1 of them break within a year, and then got a really nice 180-ish bottle cooler, I would recommend just buying today what you really need. If you have 80 bottles already that need cellaring, what good will 28 bottles of capacity do you?

Yeah, I have definitely through a lot about that. And that has been one of my biggest holdups recently. But my even bigger holdup is that I'm currently a single guy house-searching on Long Island, and from June of last year until this month I've spent a TON on wine (got hooked and just couldn't stop, obviously ) and just can't afford a wine cellar big enough to hold all of what I've bought. My parents basement, albeit not "humid" or "optimally cool", has been cool and steady enough that I'm sure it's not hurting the wine. And most of the wines I own right now are probably "drink within 5 years" type wines that would do just fine in their cellar (or the cellar of a new house I hope to buy...though may go condo, in which case they'd have to stay at the 'rents house). And I've decided for now this 28-bottle one will hold the ones I deem need the optimal temperature and my bottles I plan to hold onto for awhile. And if I end up in a condo instead of a house, it'll obviously be the place I store my wine there while replenishing it with stuff from the cellar of my parents house.

Yeah, complicated thought process behind this...but well, I'm a complicated guy. *giggles* tee-hees!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, I have definitely through a lot about that. And that has been one of my biggest holdups recently. But my even bigger holdup is that I'm currently a single guy house-searching on Long Island, and from June of last year until this month I've spent a TON on wine (got hooked and just couldn't stop, obviously ) and just can't afford a wine cellar big enough to hold all of what I've bought. My parents basement, albeit not "humid" or "optimally cool", has been cool and steady enough that I'm sure it's not hurting the wine. And most of the wines I own right now are probably "drink within 5 years" type wines that would do just fine in their cellar (or the cellar of a new house I hope to buy...though may go condo, in which case they'd have to stay at the 'rents house). And I've decided for now this 28-bottle one will hold the ones I deem need the optimal temperature and my bottles I plan to hold onto for awhile. And if I end up in a condo instead of a house, it'll obviously be the place I store my wine there while replenishing it with stuff from the cellar of my parents house.

Yeah, complicated thought process behind this...but well, I'm a complicated guy. *giggles* tee-hees!

I'm an actuary, I completely understand the complexity!

28 is better than nothing, absolutely, and it helps that your other bottles aren't in danger. Our house doesn't have AC or a basement (mild Seattle weather) so in summer all my bottles were at risk.

mdscholar

quality posts: 188 Private Messages mdscholar

As per HitAnyKey42, Crossposted from the Sadler-Wells thread to get it out of there:

mdscholar wrote:
Also, for those looking for a wine storage unit, COSTCO has one coming up in their coupon book during Feb. 25 - Mar 2 for $100 off. I don't think they have them in their warehouses yet, I've looked and haven't seen one. (mine is So CAL).

It's a Magic Chef Dual Zone Wine & Beverage Center (ooohh, pretty name). Holds 44 wine bottles or 140 12 oz cans. Says it has two temperature zones with wire wine racking or glass shelves. Regularly $449.99 less $100 means $349.99 with coupon. Item # is 205730, but is not available yet (neither is coupon below it).

Laugh: Coupon is up on ebay for .99 for seller's time in "locating" coupon.

$449 at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100597195&categoryID=526369

I'm looking really hard at this one .... but it seems they won't have it in until closer to the coupon dates.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jcathcart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcathcart
aces219 wrote:As someone who got 2 28-bottle thermoelectrics, had 1 of them break within a year, and then got a really nice 180-ish bottle cooler, I would recommend just buying today what you really need. If you have 80 bottles already that need cellaring, what good will 28 bottles of capacity do you?

Luckily, 28 bottles is about what I need. Most of our wines are of the "drink in a year" variety, but we would like to purchase some of the vintage years our children were born, to share with them when they are old enough.

wine woots: 17 (two non-wines)
woots: 9 (two wines)

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Compact Appliance is always good for a looksie... especially their specialty/refurb (rox0rz!) area, which is basically just an open-box / scratch&dent kinda area. Still, some really good discounts.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
polarbear22 wrote:Sorry. I get crap often in CT for calling them liquor stores. That was the name I grew up with in MN. ..."

When I was in MN (Rice County), we called it the "Muni".
This recollection is undoubtedly showing my age.

bowden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowden

Thank you! Overstock.com has given me a $13 credit off my next purchase due to the price drop.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MaskedMarvel wrote:The Urbina is $83.94 shipped now...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Urbina-Design-ThermoElectric-Wine-Cellar/1626057/product.html?searchtype=HP_Header&keywords=10002338

And now it's 3 bucks cheaper

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
bhodilee wrote:And now it's 3 bucks cheaper

And with the new promo code (thanks joekerjr) it's $75.84 shipped. CS is getting a barrage of emails from me today!

promo code - 116170

MaskedMarvel

MaskedMarvel wrote:And with the new promo code (thanks joekerjr) it's $75.84 shipped. CS is getting a barrage of emails from me today!

promo code - 116170

New promo code give a dollar more...

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest
MaskedMarvel wrote:New promo code give a dollar more...

you cheeky bastard...

man...W.W is getting more and more expensive every day....

Thanks for the great find!!! Almost tempted to pickup two of them..

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

I just ordered the Urbina cooler from Overstock. Total came to $82.56 and that was with the 2 year protection. Thanks for the codes!!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

bearbones11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bearbones11

With the price drop, $13 dollars credited back.... just made it worth it to buy another. Well, at least until the wife finds out.

I think there's some value in having one of these despite having a larger collection - my wine storage is overburdened at the moment and I'm feeling very antsy about the condition of some of my harder-to-replace bottles. I have marginal/decent storage conditions in mi casa, but I'll feel better with some more precise control.
Plus, if you have a mix of drink soon/drink in 5-10 yrs wines, best to store the longer agers in the best possible conditions and worry less about the ones that won't be around that long, anyway.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

I couldn't pass it up at less than 82 shipped with the protection plan. And possibly 4% back from a clickthrough from fatwallet.com and another 1% from my credit card... so yeah, I'm pretty happy.

It's at my parents house for the wine I keep there. I already have 2 in my place in VA (though when I go back to NY, I'm bringing the 12-bottle one into the office).

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

They wouldn't rebate me the second price drop:

Thank you for shopping at Overstock.com. We appreciate your business. I understand that the price of the 'Urbina Design ThermoElectric Wine Cellar' under order #xxxxxxxx has been dropped again. I do note that this is the second price drop in a few days. I am glad to assist you in this regard.

Clint, these prices are not arbitrary, nor are they set by Overstock.com. When a product is developed, the manufacturer sets the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) and this provides a single point of comparison for all retailers. At Overstock.com our prices are, on average, 52% below the MSRP and reflect substantial savings for the customer.

We are happy to adjust the price of your item if it is within five days of the date your order was submitted. Unfortunately, your order was placed on 02/05/2008 and is past the five day price adjustment period. I apologize that we are unable to offer a price adjustment for this item.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any further questions, please click the following link and an Overstock.com Live Chat Customer Service agent will assist you.

Darn.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord
MaskedMarvel wrote:New promo code give a dollar more...

Sweet I just ordered one with that code

Subtotal:
$80.99
Coupon Savings:
- $10.12
Shipping Charges:
$2.95
In-Store Credit:
- $5.00
Total Savings: $10.12
Grand Total: $68.82

Awesome deal on a wine cooler. On top of that I used the fw click through so I might get another 4% back if that doesn't mess up.

334 bottles from Wine.woot
17 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

MaskedMarvel

At risk of timing out during this post, so I'll make it quick...

If you were like me and got in on this at the price of $104 shipped, it's $25 less now. With one dollar shipping, the 12.5% code, and the $25 credit OS WILL give you back, even if you're over their 5 day window, you can get another new one shipped to you for $45 right now.

i got the premium warranty (2 yrs) on the first one for $10 more. If I don't order the warranty for the second, I'm guessing they won't know which has the warranty, should one go bad in the next two years. I'm covered (YMMV).

For $45 shipped, this thing is a STEAL. I could make money with it at a yard sale in two years. Call or email OS CS, get the credit applied to your account, and grab another for you or a friend.

So much for making it quick... Back to your w00t off, people! Wine is coming up there soon!

8-Damien

evrything4fun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evrything4fun

FYI - They told me "No" first and I replied back and said I didn't think that was a reputable way of doing business and I would think twice before ordering from them again and they came back and credited me the difference.

Actively searching for a wine.wooter annonymous meeting

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
evrything4fun wrote:FYI - They told me "No" first and I replied back and said I didn't think that was a reputable way of doing business and I would think twice before ordering from them again and they came back and credited me the difference.

nice! but slightly misleading pseudonym: you're ALL business when you need to be.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

i was at checkout.. and i really wanted to buy... but i decided against it =P

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

For those concerned about lack of temp control with the Urbina, you could always get a temp controller (like this) to give better control over the temp.

I suspect you're going to be better off just buying something like a fermometer and sticking it up on an interior wall of the cooler.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MaskedMarvel

"Last Day for $1 Shipping," though I suppose that may mean tomorrow it could be free... Just a heads up...

Also - those fermometers look perfect, but a $10 minimum order and almost $9 shipping makes it less sweet. Anyone want to go in on a bulk order and we can send them out in regular USPS to each other?

HitAnyKey42

Sweet! I come back from my cruise, see activity in this thread and pop over to see what was being talked about. And to my surprise find out about another price drop, jump on over to the live chat and get my $13 instore credit. Thanks for posting about the price drop here. Otherwise I'd have never known about it.

On a side note, it's sold out now. Which is a good thing as it eliminated my temptation to get another one.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

MaskedMarvel

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Sweet! I come back from my cruise, see activity in this thread and pop over to see what was being talked about. And to my surprise find out about another price drop, jump on over to the live chat and get my $13 instore credit. Thanks for posting about the price drop here. Otherwise I'd have never known about it.

On a side note, it's sold out now. Which is a good thing as it eliminated my temptation to get another one.

When I click it it shows it's still in stock... Welsome back!

HitAnyKey42

MaskedMarvel wrote:When I click it it shows it's still in stock... Welsome back!

Looks like they musta just gotten a new delivery...or found some more in the back of the warehouse, as it was definitely out of stock when I was talking to the live chat to get my credit. But as I already promised my mom I wouldn't buy another one to stick in her already crowded basement, guess I'll have to pass. If it's still around when when we've had time to try out the one that gets delivered today, then maybe I'll order another. But it'll be at least a handful of days to a week before I make a decision of such. With any luck it'll sell out again and make my decision for me.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Got my Urbina today and found a decent place for it in the basement and got it all up and running, so now just have to keep watching the thermometer I put in there to find an optimal temperature. I'll start loading it up with bottles from my cellar soon too, though it'll be tough to decide which ones go in there as I've got about 148 bottles in stock right now.

And they're sold out again, so at least I'm not tempted again to buy another.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how light it is. Very easy to carry into the house and move around to find the best positioning for it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Got my Urbina today and found a decent place for it in the basement and got it all up and running, so now just have to keep watching the thermometer I put in there to find an optimal temperature. I'll start loading it up with bottles from my cellar soon too, though it'll be tough to decide which ones go in there as I've got about 148 bottles in stock right now.

And they're sold out again, so at least I'm not tempted again to buy another.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how light it is. Very easy to carry into the house and move around to find the best positioning for it.

I musta got one of the final ones today then. Was gonna order it Friday morning then went out of town so picked it up today. Really a good deal.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

bhodilee wrote:I musta got one of the final ones today then. Was gonna order it Friday morning then went out of town so picked it up today. Really a good deal.

If they come back in stock, I'll probably pick one up. Was going to tonight if they were still in stock. Costco's got a 40something bottle dual zone compressor-based model for $100 off starting next week.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mdscholar

quality posts: 188 Private Messages mdscholar

Was at Target late yesterday, and found a Holmes Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer/Hygrometer on clearance for $6.98 (reg. $9.99).

Also keeps track of Humidity, and records Min/Max of humidity and temp.

Model HHG300. Has a sensor for inside/outside temp. You could put the unit inside or on top of the cooler, and use the sensor to track the inside or outside temp.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MaskedMarvel

An eight bottle is YMMV at Target B&M right now ~$20...

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=734935

Thermoelectric with temp LED. At this price you can have a (virtual) three zone cave for $60, at almost the same capacity as the Urbina...

HitAnyKey42

MaskedMarvel wrote:An eight bottle is YMMV at Target B&M right now ~$20...

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=734935

Thermoelectric with temp LED. At this price you can have a (virtual) three zone cave for $60, at almost the same capacity as the Urbina...

What is YMMV?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

MaskedMarvel

HitAnyKey42 wrote:What is YMMV?

"Your Mileage May Vary" - This may not be available or priced evenly across all stores. You have to drive to the B&M (Brick And Mortar) store and see it yourself to take advantage of the potential deal.

HitAnyKey42

MaskedMarvel wrote:"Your Mileage May Vary" - This may not be available or priced evenly across all stores. You have to drive to the B&M (Brick And Mortar) store and see it yourself to take advantage of the potential deal.

Ah, gotcha. that wuz teh funneh
So anyone have any experience or knowledge with this one? I had just gotten the urbina, but it wouldn't hurt to have a place to store an additional 8 bottles upstairs for the drink-now section, since right now my urbina is filled with "longterm" storage bottles.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

jkwest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwest

My Urbina arrived two days ago...

Let my tell you, for $72, this is a great buy for any wine lover!! This sucker is built well, the temp adjust is simple, and it actually looks nice!!

The only negetive thing I can say about it is, that Pinot bottles...you know..the upside down trophy, don't fit in the shelves so well. Normal Cab Sauv bottles fit like a glove though...

Thanks for whoever first posted this great deal!!

Wine only comes in one color...Red...

tcklord

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tcklord

I received mine today and I'm quite pleased. It is higher quality then expected and should work quite well.

334 bottles from Wine.woot
17 Normal Woot
4 Sellout Woot

HitAnyKey42

Yeah, I got mine on Monday and turned it on and put in a single merlot bottle just cause I didn't have time to sort through my "good" bottles I wanted to store in it. Tuesday night though I got it nearly all loaded up. And on the bottom shelp turned sideways I as abel to slide in 2 Clos Marie Simon and my 2 L&L PS's. All 4 bottles have the "bell" shape and although snug...they fit. And the front bottle sits right in that little dip in the bottom so it doesn't roll out onto the floor.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings