kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
time2testit wrote:If anyone in the L.A. area sees (or knows of) a good quality (i.e., dependable and not requiring me to fix anything) cooler that would fit 150 - 200 bottles, please send me a message. My preference would be to keep it in my cellar (the ceiling is about 5 feet from the floor so my choices are a little limited). I have the Vissani from Home Depot but I would love something that can actually hold more and wouldn't have me worried that it will fail.



See a couple posts before this. It's like 6 ft. tall, though. Free delivery. If you want to see the original order emails, my email is my woot name @gmail.com.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Havent been able to update since baby came. Delivery of the monster 440 bottle happened the day before baby came. I was at work. SWMBO was at home. It was too big to fit where we wanted it.

We refused delivery and Costco refunded the $$ (their return policy is awesome). But now, we're back in the market for a cooler.

I want my Vinoteque back. I loved that cooler. The search is back on.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Havent been able to update since baby came. Delivery of the monster 440 bottle happened the day before baby came. I was at work. SWMBO was at home. It was too big to fit where we wanted it.

We refused delivery and Costco refunded the $$ (their return policy is awesome). But now, we're back in the market for a cooler.

I want my Vinoteque back. I loved that cooler. The search is back on.



Lol
Your wife is so going to buy a tape measure for Xmas.

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Looking for a good 60-80 bottle cooler, preferably used. The baby stuff has taken over the closet I was using for wine storage and my cooler for storing long term is only 16 bottles and has long been full. I have checked Craigslist occasionally and have not seen much in the range I am lookin for. Most are either to small or way to big. The reason for size constraint is I don't have much extra room in my small house.

If anyone has 1 they want to part with that's around this range and is local let me know, or if they see something on a SoCal Craigslist ad let me know.


Perhaps a bit larger than you are looking for, but just perhaps. This 170 bottle for $300 has been up for awhile now.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/hsh/3212054442.html

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Perhaps a bit larger than you are looking for, but just perhaps. This 170 bottle for $300 has been up for awhile now.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/hsh/3212054442.html



Thanks, but I don't have enough room for anything other than a 50-60 bottle fridge. I even got a lead on one in orange county from CL.

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Had to fix my little "current consumption" 12 bottle Vinotemp, again. Third, or is it the fourth, time now. Again an electrolytic cap gave it's all and failed, only to have to be buried and replaced with an new soldier to carry on the task of cooling. I like this little TEC unit, but these constant repairs are getting a bit tiresome.

CT

dalematthew


quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

Thought I'd ask the community. I've been scouring CL to buy a unit without too much luck.

I'm in serious need of storage. Have 2 units holding 30 each and an old refrigerator that on lowest setting is around the right temp + boxes squirreled away in all kinds of cupboards around the house.

Ideally looking for something that will hold around 500 bottles but maybe could settle for around 300 bottles.

Let me know if you see any for sale at a good price (or are selling).

There was one on CL - a Vino-700 with 2,500 btu cooler but was asking $1,600. Too pricey for me - views as to what a good price would be?

Also saw the following:

$1,000 Vinotemp 400E

$650 Vinotemp

I'm in the Bay Area!

nealkb


quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb
dalematthew wrote:Thought I'd ask the community. I've been scouring CL to buy a unit without too much luck.

I'm in serious need of storage. Have 2 units holding 30 each and an old refrigerator that on lowest setting is around the right temp + boxes squirreled away in all kinds of cupboards around the house.

Ideally looking for something that will hold around 500 bottles but maybe could settle for around 300 bottles.

Let me know if you see any for sale at a good price (or are selling).

There was one on CL - a Vino-700 with 2,500 btu cooler but was asking $1,600. Too pricey for me - views as to what a good price would be?

Also saw the following:

$1,000 Vinotemp 400E

$650 Vinotemp

I'm in the Bay Area!


Have you seen the 170 bottle storage Costco has for 1299.
Also check out wine bank If you need extra storage.

Neal K Bharadwaj

Cesare


quality posts: 1587 Private Messages Cesare
dalematthew wrote:


Too small and too far but, here's a $500 vinotheque out by Sacramento. For only $150 more that vinotemp you posted looks good. I don't see any others right now but add vinotheque to your search list.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
dalematthew wrote:Thought I'd ask the community. I've been scouring CL to buy a unit without too much luck.

I'm in serious need of storage. Have 2 units holding 30 each and an old refrigerator that on lowest setting is around the right temp + boxes squirreled away in all kinds of cupboards around the house.

Ideally looking for something that will hold around 500 bottles but maybe could settle for around 300 bottles.

Let me know if you see any for sale at a good price (or are selling).

There was one on CL - a Vino-700 with 2,500 btu cooler but was asking $1,600. Too pricey for me - views as to what a good price would be?

Also saw the following:

$1,000 Vinotemp 400E

$650 Vinotemp

I'm in the Bay Area!



If you are looking for something that holds 500 bottles and $1,600 is way out of your budget, you are probably going to have problems, even on craigslist. It costs a good 600-700 just for working compressor that will cool a unit that has that much storage. If you are finding a cooler that holds 500 bottles for less than a grand out in CA, it is likely that the compressor doesn't work.

I live far far from wine country (in Ohio) and it took 6 months and a lot of luck to score a jackpot on nice working 160 bottle cooler for $200 bucks.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

dalematthew


quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
Cesare wrote:Too small and too far but, here's a $500 vinotheque out by Sacramento. For only $150 more that vinotemp you posted looks good. I don't see any others right now but add vinotheque to your search list.



Thanks - I did see that one and yes a bit small.

So - this is the one that is $1,600:

vinotemp 700

It is 2 years old, has the upgrade 2,500 btu cooler and lock.

What do you all think it's worth??

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
dalematthew wrote:Thanks - I did see that one and yes a bit small.

So - this is the one that is $1,600:

vinotemp 700

It is 2 years old, has the upgrade 2,500 btu cooler and lock.

What do you all think it's worth??



The issue with buying a used cooler is that you don't know when/if the unit is going to go out. I got a 300 bottle Vinotque for a dream (traded a 52 bottle unit). Worked great for about 1.5 years and then broke. It would have cost $1k+ to fix.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dalematthew


quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
kylemittskus wrote:The issue with buying a used cooler is that you don't know when/if the unit is going to go out. I got a 300 bottle Vinotque for a dream (traded a 52 bottle unit). Worked great for about 1.5 years and then broke. It would have cost $1k+ to fix.



Yep - that's what worries me - so trying to stay within 2 years old. I have a bead on a Vinotemp that holds 440 bottles asking $950 to start with.

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I just added the cooler I wanted to a birthday list and then my birthday came around and there it was.

CT

dalematthew


quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

So - located and on the weekend picked up the answer to all my storage needs.

After renting a trailer and being helped by an extremely helpful seller (this thing weighs an absolute ton) made the 1 hour trip home without losing any parts along the freeway.

At home, with the help of my wife and twin sister (if you add them together you get the equivalent of one big dude helping you - kinda) - managed to get it upright in the garage.

Next question is to have it in the house (my wife's preference if you can believe it) or in the garage?

Oh - so continuing the twin theme - I picked up half of a Vinotemp 1400 - making it a Vinotemp 700 I guess:

I bought half of this!

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
dalematthew wrote:So - located and on the weekend picked up the answer to all my storage needs.

After renting a trailer and being helped by an extremely helpful seller (this thing weighs an absolute ton) made the 1 hour trip home without losing any parts along the freeway.

At home, with the help of my wife and twin sister (if you add them together you get the equivalent of one big dude helping you - kinda) - managed to get it upright in the garage.

Next question is to have it in the house (my wife's preference if you can believe it) or in the garage?

Oh - so continuing the twin theme - I picked up half of a Vinotemp 1400 - making it a Vinotemp 700 I guess:

I bought half of this!



Congratulations on the new unit! Brushed-Aluminum exterior, very nice.

Depending on the power of your cooling unit (BTU's) and how hot your garage gets in the summer, you might not have a choice but to put it inside the house. Most units are only designed to cool 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit below the exterior temperature, but check your owners manual for the specs.

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
dalematthew wrote:Next question is to have it in the house (my wife's preference if you can believe it) or in the garage?

Concur with ajrod27; much depends on the BTU capacity of the chilling unit. Most are only designed to chill into the 50's from an ambient in the 80's; about a 30F delta. If your garage gets into the 90's or 100's, you'll still only get a 30F delta and it will suck electrons and spin that wheel, if you still have one of those, like crazy. I added an additional four inches of the highest "R-value" insulation, separated with a one-inch air gap, to five of the exterior surfaces of the box I have in the garage. Cosmetic? Not a bit. Functional? Absolutely!

[edit]
Adding some metrics here, the delta-T from the inside of the box to the original outside case surface, compared to the new surface of the added insulation increased by 8~12F; a substantial improvement.

CT

joelsisk


quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

more deals from costco

Some expire in a couple days, others just started yesterday.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

To bump this thread ... also because Woot Plus Sale on Wine Coolers & Fridges.

Remember that Thermoelectric coolers are only good in certain cases (not good in warmer climates unless you keep the AC on all the time).

Wine Fridges are usually better to keep your wine at a constant temp.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

This thread from Wine Berserkers is about VinoTemp. There are a couple links in this thread about VinoTemp's horrible customer service and them suing customers to get money for products that were never delivered. Seems like an important and appropriate addition to this thread.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:This thread from Wine Berserkers is about VinoTemp. There are a couple links in this thread about VinoTemp's horrible customer service and them suing customers to get money for products that were never delivered. Seems like an important and appropriate addition to this thread.

That, and the CT thread linked from within, were frightening reads. Clearly buyer beware.
I've got a very small VT cooler (costco purchase gifted to me) I use for open and very near term bottles. It's a TEC unit and has failed at least three times due to a poorly specified electrolytic capacitor going leaky. Last replacement I installed one I thought better suited to the application; now been working over a year.
VT was little to no help, but there was a bit of a manual on-line that helped somewhat.

CT

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Yay for a new (5mo old) baby. My last few weeks has been about interviewing architects to make room for the little guy. The current kitchen will become a bedroom, the dining room will become a new kitchen. The joys of living in a 750 sqft Brooklyn apartment.

If we're building a kitchen from the ground up, that allows me to build around and integrate a real wine fridge. That's pretty awesome. Eurocave still where you'd start?

Additionally - I will soon be looking to offload a perfectly reliable ~100 bottle Summit cooler in NYC: http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/SWC1545

Good looking enough to have standing in the living room, reliable enough to invest in real wines, affordable enough to make it somewhat disposable!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Congrats! My Eurocave is going strong and have had no issues except for mold, which has nothing to do with the fridge itself.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Neighbors are looking for a wine fridge for under the counter in the kitchen remodel.

They looked at one that was 8 bottles at 54-65 and 18 at 40-54. First, I would look to swap those and have more at 54-65 for aging reds and lower temp for chilling whites. Thoughts?

Best he could recall was Edgistar for brand. But any comments on good/bad brands would be helpful.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
polarbear22 wrote:Neighbors are looking for a wine fridge for under the counter in the kitchen remodel.

They looked at one that was 8 bottles at 54-65 and 18 at 40-54. First, I would look to swap those and have more at 54-65 for aging reds and lower temp for chilling whites. Thoughts?

Best he could recall was Edgistar for brand. But any comments on good/bad brands would be helpful.



I always say get a cheaper single zone cooler. If you want to chill down a white throw it in the regular fridge for a hour. I know I know...... That requires planning. My parents got a multi purpose beverage fridge for their kitchen which was great as it keeps people out of the regular fridge during parties etc...

If their heart is set on a dedicated wine fridge I bought an in-counter danby single zone 55 bottle that has nice wood trim on the racks and looks good outside of the counter as well and the price is better than a similarity spec'd vinotemp. Seems pretty solid but I have only had it for a 1 1/2 years so who knows.

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
polarbear22 wrote:Neighbors are looking for a wine fridge for under the counter in the kitchen remodel.

They looked at one that was 8 bottles at 54-65 and 18 at 40-54. First, I would look to swap those and have more at 54-65 for aging reds and lower temp for chilling whites. Thoughts?

Best he could recall was Edgistar for brand. But any comments on good/bad brands would be helpful.



My first thought is..at only 24 bottles, does aging ability even come into play here?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
North316 wrote:My first thought is..at only 24 bottles, does aging ability even come into play here?


Good point. Thinking of temps, not capacity. Besides, this guy turns his bottles around quickly.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
cortot20 wrote:I always say get a cheaper single zone cooler. If you want to chill down a white throw it in the regular fridge for a hour. I know I know...... That requires planning. My parents got a multi purpose beverage fridge for their kitchen which was great as it keeps people out of the regular fridge during parties etc...

If their heart is set on a dedicated wine fridge I bought an in-counter danby single zone 55 bottle that has nice wood trim on the racks and looks good outside of the counter as well and the price is better than a similarity spec'd vinotemp. Seems pretty solid but I have only had it for a 1 1/2 years so who knows.


Thanks. I will pass this on.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

x-post from the pub that belonged here.

I've got a Danby ~170 bottle unit very similar to this I got a few years ago from a local dealer as a customer return.
So far the unit works well and is quiet.
What it doesn't accommodate well on the sliding shelves are the slightly larger diameter bottles.
You ~can~ fit them in, but the packing density will be substantially lower. And they don't do well when loaded as the outside bottles; they hit the sliding drawer mechanism. Also, depending on just how much larger they are, you'll find them scraping as they drag on the above shelf. I've now got quite a few bottles with labels that are damaged.

Take some fat bottles with you as you shop to make sure you'll not be disappointed later.

CT

beefytaco


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Bad news: Stupid Summit wine fridge died this weekend, just in time for NYC's first 80+ degree week.

Good news: just got off the phone with Wine Enthusiast, my Eurocave will be here in a week or two! Comfort 166

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

joed10303


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303

Sears has 45 bottle chiller on sale today for $320 (reg $400) plus you can use coupon code SEARS50 and get an additional $50 off. Plus free shipping. Total cost with tax was $294. Model #99279

spammie


quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie
joed10303 wrote:Sears has 45 bottle chiller on sale today for $320 (reg $400) plus you can use coupon code SEARS50 and get an additional $50 off. Plus free shipping. Total cost with tax was $294. Model #99279



Does this unit have a compressor? Can't tell from Sears' website. Mine will go in warm garage so can't use thermoelectric. It's currently on sale for $340 ($390 after SEARS50 coupon)which is still a pretty decent price for 45-bottle size. I'm currently using a 52-bottle Magic Chef unit I bought for $50 on Craigslist; can't figure out how to jam more than 48 bottles in it though!

joed10303


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
spammie wrote:Does this unit have a compressor? Can't tell from Sears' website. Mine will go in warm garage so can't use thermoelectric. It's currently on sale for $340 ($390 after SEARS50 coupon)which is still a pretty decent price for 45-bottle size. I'm currently using a 52-bottle Magic Chef unit I bought for $50 on Craigslist; can't figure out how to jam more than 48 bottles in it though!



Yes it has a compressor and it does hold 45 bottles but its a real tight fit. Top shelve has most room and can hold champagne. For the price i paid i'm happy.

spammie


quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie
joed10303 wrote:Yes it has a compressor and it does hold 45 bottles but its a real tight fit. Top shelve has most room and can hold champagne. For the price i paid i'm happy.



Thanks!