kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Thanks. That will not be an issue as it will be going directly to my storage unit until I move in the near future (hopefully). I am going to make sure they have it plugged in when I arrive to pick it up to ensure that it works.

I am very excited to be getting this.

You make, I think, the fourth one of us who scored an insane deal on a cooler on CL. Wish I could find another insane deal instead of buying one down in San Diego after the debacle explained above.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:You make, I think, the fourth one of us who scored an insane deal on a cooler on CL. Wish I could find another insane deal instead of buying one down in San Diego after the debacle explained above.

Yeah tell me about it. I've been debating for the longest time about getting one of those crappy 50 bottles ones from Home Depot for $250 that's been listed here a dozen times before. Can't believe I scored on this one, but the deal isn't closed quite yet, hopefully will have it in my possession this weekend.

My persistence did pay off. I've been search craigslist daily for over 6 months to get this deal. Not easily to find a decent cooler, let alone a decent cooler for a good price, in my neck of the woods.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:Just a random question, when transporting one of these things (empty of course), is there any issue with laying it on it's side or will that damage the compressor in any way?

While you ~may~ not have a problem, if any of the compressor oil makes it to the capillary tube, you're gonna need a service call to replace the tube.
So, if you don't know how the innards are plumbed, keep it vertical.

CT

kylemittskus

Found what I'm going to replace my current new/broken cooler with:

Thoughts?

And North, listen to the crazy man above me. If he says keep it upright, I wouldn't risk it. I've never heard of that before, though.

North316

rjquillin wrote:While you ~may~ not have a problem, if any of the compressor oil makes it to the capillary tube, you're gonna need a service call to replace the tube.
So, if you don't know how the innards are plumbed, keep it vertical.

Hmm, if that is the case it may make it very interesting. I am picking this up in a pickup truck and traveling 45 minutes down the highway with it, it would not be easy to strap down standing upright, which is why I asked.

My CT

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Hmm, if that is the case it may make it very interesting. I am picking this up in a pickup truck and traveling 45 minutes down the highway with it, it would not be easy to strap down standing upright, which is why I asked.

If you can see the compressor itself, there should be two or three tubes to it, one, the 'service' tube likely just pinched off. Of the other two, one will be a larger diameter, the 'suction' or return line from the evaporator coil in the fridge, and a smaller high pressure line that goes to the condenser coil. Keep the small line UP so none of the compressor oil makes it into the high pressure line and finds it's way to the capillary tube. There should also be one or two cylinder looking pieces that will be either a dryer, smaller diameter, or accumulator, larger diameter. "Attempt" to transport it so compressor oil stays out of at least the dryer, as the dryer is what absorbs moisture within the system to keep it from freezing in the cap tube and causing problems.

Good Luck
Great Find!

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:You make, I think, the fourth one of us who scored an insane deal on a cooler on CL. Wish I could find another insane deal instead of buying one down in San Diego after the debacle explained above.

You could always look in the paper or internet under "going out of business" at a local restaurant. Call them, see if they have a cooler, what size and if they want to sell it. Out here a Uhaul is only 20 bucks for the day.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea
kylemittskus wrote:Found what I'm going to replace my current new/broken cooler with:

Thoughts?

And North, listen to the crazy man above me. If he says keep it upright, I wouldn't risk it. I've never heard of that before, though.

I looked into the Beverage Factory offerings several months ago when trying to figure out what to do. I even went to their store to check them out since I live in San Diego. Allavino and Avanti both receive marginal consumer reviews from what I could tell. I also seem to recall that they do not maintain a humidity level, they are basically glorified refridgerators. This is probably fine for bottles that will be consumed in a couple of years, but may not be ideal for longer term storage.

With all that being said, I'm by no means an expert (or even close to it) so take what I said with several grains of salt.

We are getting this one delivered this Friday, so I will hopefully have a "review" to post in the next couple of days http://www.wcimpression.com/rts/rtsWindow200a.htm. We are doing a black finish on oak.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

We just received the new wine cabinet this morning. I need to wait 24 hours before actually powering it on. However, I'll give my initial imressions. Build quality is very nice, no complaints at all. I really like the rack system, two bottles fit per "square" so its capacity is easy to judge and there are not any challenges to loading it up...at least from a max capacity standpoint. I'l post back once I have it running for a while to see how it does with temperature and humidity. Here are a couple of pictures.

rjquillin

If only I had the room.

400 bottles, $500

'cause I got the bottles...

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:If only I had the room.

400 bottles, $500

'cause I got the bottles...

Where?

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Where?

Link has the info; San Diego.
It's nice to be here.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

San Diego, Go get it!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

Or this.

We'll have one hell of a party if you come pick it up.

In Omaha for $500 bucks if there are other local wooters. I literally do not have house enough for this beast.

Edit: The doors are off their hinges. No clue if it works.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Or this.

We'll have one hell of a party if you come pick it up.

In Omaha for $500 bucks if there are other local wooters. I literally do not have house enough for this beast.

Edit: The doors are off their hinges. No clue if it works.

That looks nearly,if not identical to the one I picked up and refurbed and currently have overstuffed.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

Anybody know whether it's feasible to recharge the coolant in a winemate unit? Mine appears to not do so well under the normal kind of heat one gets in LA in the summertime. Because it's a relatively old cooler (and one of those great deals us wooters got from CL) I figure it's worth trying that before looking at replacing the cooling unit itself. I think indoor temps are getting into the mid/high 80's during the day.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine
klezman wrote:Anybody know whether it's feasible to recharge the coolant in a winemate unit? Mine appears to not do so well under the normal kind of heat one gets in LA in the summertime. Because it's a relatively old cooler (and one of those great deals us wooters got from CL) I figure it's worth trying that before looking at replacing the cooling unit itself. I think indoor temps are getting into the mid/high 80's during the day.

I am also wondering how easy it is to recharge/ replace the cooling units in these bigger storage cellars. Is this a good deal?

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
eluofthenine wrote:I am also wondering how easy it is to recharge/ replace the cooling units in these bigger storage cellars. Is this a good deal?

Unequivocally yes. You may need to replace the cooling unit, but at $800 for a new one (at most) you're still getting a solid deal if not a steal.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

eluofthenine wrote:I am also wondering how easy it is to recharge/ replace the cooling units in these bigger storage cellars. Is this a good deal?

Buy!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
klezman wrote:Anybody know whether it's feasible to recharge the coolant in a winemate unit? Mine appears to not do so well under the normal kind of heat one gets in LA in the summertime. Because it's a relatively old cooler (and one of those great deals us wooters got from CL) I figure it's worth trying that before looking at replacing the cooling unit itself. I think indoor temps are getting into the mid/high 80's during the day.

I think Vinotemp will service it for about $200. You should give them a call. They're located near Long Beach, so you can drop it off and save yourself a hefty shipping charge.

kylemittskus

American Express is f***ing unbelievable! Just got a message that they will be crediting my account for the $2,900 for the wine cooler that WE sent me DOA.

As of now, there is no information about WE coming to pick it up or anything (although that may come).

I LOVE AMEX!

Now, I have to find another cooler. One that actually works, this time.

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro
kylemittskus wrote:American Express is f***ing unbelievable! Just got a message that they will be crediting my account for the $2,900 for the wine cooler that WE sent me DOA.

As of now, there is no information about WE coming to pick it up or anything (although that may come).

I LOVE AMEX!

Now, I have to find another cooler. One that actually works, this time.

Congratulations Kyle!

I have a Le Cache 2400 which holds 256 bottles in slots (16 rows by 8 columns with 2 bottles fitting in each) which is great for regular storage. It has overflow at the top for odd sizes, etc and the overflow holds quite a bit. We've been very happy with it overall. It's pretty quiet and keeps the bottles well cooled. I've had it since 2010 and no problems yet with it. It was delivered by a crew that had experience with freestanding cellars and they gave my husband a lot of information about maintenance while they were setting up. Overall we are pleased with it. I also have a locker for the ridiculous overflow since I seem to buy much faster than I drink (ala Sparky).

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

kylemittskus

Here's the cooler I'm leaning towards. Thoughts?

I'm going to try to fix the Eurocave (I think it's probably an electrical problem) and sell it on CL.

North316

kylemittskus wrote:Here's the cooler I'm leaning towards. Thoughts?

I remember looking at that one on Costco awhile back and definitely remember those reviews. Obviously you know as well I do that those two reviewers must be lacking some brain cells. The first noting that it runs constantly, yet he has it stored in a garage, which is probably very poorly insulated itself. The second review seemed to note the biggest complaint being that the unit stores bottles 2-deep. Really, that's an issue? And you didn't realize before you purchased it?

Looks like a decent unit for the price, but who really knows how well it is made.

My CT

bhodilee

I'm going to try to fix the Eurocave (I think it's probably an electrical problem) and sell it on CL.

Cheapass if you were serious you'd get one of those

Also, not to be stupid, but if they don't pick up the other one and you get it fixed, why sell it?

Edit: Though apparently that company will build whatever size you want (though it sounds like they retrofit an entire room moreso than build a freestanding unit).

Edit Edit: You will probably not want to visit their website unless you have a lotto check in hand and a towel and a change of underoos.

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:Cheapass if you were serious you'd get one of those

Also, not to be stupid, but if they don't pick up the other one and you get it fixed, why sell it?

Edit: Though apparently that company will build whatever size you want (though it sounds like they retrofit an entire room moreso than build a freestanding unit).

Edit Edit: You will probably not want to visit their website unless you have a lotto check in hand and a towel and a change of underoos.

Man, I wish... This thing is pretty awesome and not insanely priced. If only I had a temp. controlled basement or a sealed room.

The one I was refunded the $$ for is too small. See above this somewhere about the ambiguous and, IMO, deceitful labeling of the unit. I thought it held many more than it actually does. It holds somewhere around 150ish. I have 300+ currently, and that number only seems to be growing.

I think I'm in on the Costco one. I have similar concerns that North posted about the build quality, but it's a nice price, I have the money set aside, and it gives me room to grow. SWMBO said do it. I just hate spending that much money on myself... I have 3 days to decide.

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Man, I wish...

The one I was refunded the $$ for is too small. See above this somewhere about the ambiguous and, IMO, deceitful labeling of the unit. I thought it held many more than it actually does. It holds somewhere around 150ish. I have 300+ currently, and that number only seems to be growing.

I think I'm in on the Costco one. I have similar concerns that North posted about the build quality, but it's a nice price, I have the money set aside, and it gives me room to grow. SWMBO said do it. I just hate spending that much money on myself... I have 3 days to decide.

You can use it to store baby bottles also, there, I solved your quandry.

I'm saying though to keep both, cause you know you'll grow out of one quick. Unless you don't have room for both.

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:You can use it to store baby bottles also, there, I solved your quandry.

I'm saying though to keep both, cause you know you'll grow out of one quick. Unless you don't have room for both.

Hopefully I don't pass 440 bottles. SWMBO would literally kill me.

kylemittskus

Ok. Pulled the trigger on this one.

$2,370 delivered for 440 bottles seems pretty good to me. SWMBO said do it. Should be delivered at the same time as my baby.

Now, to fix the Eurocave and sell it...

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kylemittskus wrote:Should be delivered at the same time as my baby.

Taking care of the other babies (your awesome collection) is important too! ;)

I'm just hanging out, really.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Well this is a cooler thread....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6CmQrJ3hU&feature=player_embedded

One can only dream

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Hopefully I don't pass 440 bottles. SWMBO would literally kill me.

Lol your 440 is my 75.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cortot20 wrote:Lol your 440 is my 75.

My limit WAS 200, but I'm at 250 now care of SWMBO and the RPM tour so I guess I'm ok at that level.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

Looking for a good 60-80 bottle cooler, preferably used. The baby stuff has taken over the closet I was using for wine storage and my cooler for storing long term is only 16 bottles and has long been full. I have checked Craigslist occasionally and have not seen much in the range I am lookin for. Most are either to small or way to big. The reason for size constraint is I don't have much extra room in my small house.

If anyone has 1 they want to part with that's around this range and is local let me know, or if they see something on a SoCal Craigslist ad let me know.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Looking for a good 60-80 bottle cooler, preferably used. The baby stuff has taken over the closet I was using for wine storage and my cooler for storing long term is only 16 bottles and has long been full. I have checked Craigslist occasionally and have not seen much in the range I am lookin for. Most are either to small or way to big. The reason for size constraint is I don't have much extra room in my small house.

If anyone has 1 they want to part with that's around this range and is local let me know, or if they see something on a SoCal Craigslist ad let me know.

I have the Eurocave I bought from WE. I fixed it. (It was a minor electrical issue, as I assumed, but didn't want to touch it and have them say I voided the warranty if I had lost with AmEx).

It holds about 150ish...

And it's in new condition save for the door scratch which got me the discounted rate.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I have the Eurocave I bought from WE. I fixed it. (It was a minor electrical issue, as I assumed, but didn't want to touch it and have them say I voided the warranty if I had lost with AmEx).

It holds about 150ish...

And it's in new condition save for the door scratch which got me the discounted rate.

Thank you but I don't have the floor space.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Thank you but I don't have the floor space.

I don't think it's much bigger on the floor than a 52 bottle. It's tall, but it doesn't have a large footprint.

This is it. The specs are 70"H x 23-1/2"W x 22-1/4"D.

Obviously, I wouldn't charge you anywhere near what WE is asking for it.

I'm going to CL it after the baby comes.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I don't think it's much bigger on the floor than a 52 bottle. It's tall, but it doesn't have a large footprint.

This is it. The specs are 70"H x 23-1/2"W x 22-1/4"D.

Obviously, I wouldn't charge you anywhere near what WE is asking for it.

I'm going to CL it after the baby comes.

You just had to show me a picture. .......and of course it makes me want it. But the budget isn't there for it. I was planning on spending just a couple hundred max on a used 50-80 cap. fridge. The other problem this presents is that it would enable me to fill it, which I also do not have the cash flow to do.

Thank you my friend but someone else will get a screaming deal on it.

CT

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

If anyone in the L.A. area sees (or knows of) a good quality (i.e., dependable and not requiring me to fix anything) cooler that would fit 150 - 200 bottles, please send me a message. My preference would be to keep it in my cellar (the ceiling is about 5 feet from the floor so my choices are a little limited). I have the Vissani from Home Depot but I would love something that can actually hold more and wouldn't have me worried that it will fail.

cortot20

time2testit wrote:If anyone in the L.A. area sees (or knows of) a good quality (i.e., dependable and not requiring me to fix anything) cooler that would fit 150 - 200 bottles, please send me a message. My preference would be to keep it in my cellar (the ceiling is about 5 feet from the floor so my choices are a little limited). I have the Vissani from Home Depot but I would love something that can actually hold more and wouldn't have me worried that it will fail.

This is funny.
Kyle just tried to sell me his which fits 150 but it's 6 feet tall

CT