North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wine-Storage-Cabinet-Refrigerator-Cellar-Glass-Door-Wine-Cooler-220-Btl-/380431083514?pt=Refrigerators&hash=item589375a7fa

Anyone heard of or seen one of these in use? Seems like a decent unit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wine-Storage-Cabinet-Refrigerator-Cellar-Glass-Door-Wine-Cooler-220-Btl-/380431083514?pt=Refrigerators&hash=item589375a7fa

Anyone heard of or seen one of these in use? Seems like a decent unit.

No longer available, but at $800 shipped, too good to be true?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

kylemittskus wrote:No longer available, but at $800 shipped, too good to be true?

Several similar ones out, mostly from the same seller I think. Too good to be true is what I'm wondering. It seems like a nice unit, though assembly is required.

My CT

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Several similar ones out, mostly from the same seller I think. Too good to be true is what I'm wondering. It seems like a nice unit, though assembly is required.

I'll check it out when I get home. $800 sounds WAY better than $3k.

North316

kylemittskus wrote:I'll check it out when I get home. $800 sounds WAY better than $3k.

Couple more links for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Keeper-Wine-Cooler-Cabinet-Refrigerator-Cellar-Glass-Door-500-Btl-/380424510517?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D380431083514%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8114719385781531856 500 Bottle one for under $1,500 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wine-Cabinet-Refrigerator-Cellar-Glass-Door-Wine-Cooler-220-Btl-Mahogany-/380433504504?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D380431083514%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8114719385781531855 Mahogany version of the first one I posted

My biggest fear on this would be the reliability of the cooling unit itself and its ability to maintain a consistent temperature. I haven't done any research yet on this brand to find any reviews.

My CT

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:My biggest fear on this would be the reliability of the cooling unit itself and its ability to maintain a consistent temperature. I haven't done any research yet on this brand to find any reviews.

Seems like reviews on Buzzillions and epinions are both 2/5 starts, complaining about the cooling units failing. Both of our biggest concern. But $800 sounds sooooo much better than $3k. My only thought is that I'd rather be warranty-covered for 6 years than have none at all (the WE cooler is 5 years plus AmEx will add on a year). Decisions decisions.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Seems like reviews on Buzzillions and epinions are both 2/5 starts, complaining about the cooling units failing. Both of our biggest concern. But $800 sounds sooooo much better than $3k. My only thought is that I'd rather be warranty-covered for 6 years than have none at all (the WE cooler is 5 years plus AmEx will add on a year). Decisions decisions.

$800 for the potentially crappy cooler and a good cabinet + $750 for a new excellent cooling unit << $3000....

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

I'd have to find a cooling unit that could fit in the cabinet and be able to install it properly and and and.

My current cabinet is just fine. It's just the cooling unit that tanked. How difficult do you think it is to replace?

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I'd have to find a cooling unit that could fit in the cabinet and be able to install it properly and and and.

My current cabinet is just fine. It's just the cooling unit that tanked. How difficult do you think it is to replace?

Single unit, not split? Just slides in? Dimensions and manufacturer make and model if you can.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Single unit, not split? Just slides in? Dimensions and manufacturer make and model if you can.

Yeah. Single unit Vinoteque. I'll pull the bottles tomorrow and see what the cooling unit looks like. My parents are coming over tomorrow so I'll have my rocket scientist dad (seriously) take a look and see what he thinks.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63
rjquillin wrote:Oh, to have a true basement/cellar in California, like I did in Indiana!

Just picked up a working Breezair WKL8000 off CL for $140 last Tuesday. Build a 16 x 16 x 8 room around it and see what you can stuff in there!

Be patient, and plug it in to see it work.

Ok, I looked at these units and I could see a small one of them working for me, coupled with what amounts to an insulated closet.

The smallest ones seem to be rated for as little as 300 cubic feet, which is still bigger than I was thinking. Any thoughts on what happens if I were to go with an even smaller space, say about half that (ie. 150ish cubic feet)? Will it cycle too much and waste energy and die too young? Or not cycle enough and have too great a temperature swing?

rjquillin

baqui63 wrote:Ok, I looked at these units and I could see a small one of them working for me, coupled with what amounts to an insulated closet.

The smallest ones seem to be rated for as little as 300 cubic feet, which is still bigger than I was thinking. Any thoughts on what happens if I were to go with an even smaller space, say about half that (ie. 150ish cubic feet)? Will it cycle too much and waste energy and die too young? Or not cycle enough and have too great a temperature swing?

I'm thinking a lot would depend on thermal losses through your walls into whatever external ambient you have. I think I saw some design calculations on one of the sites that could help you decide.

CT

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Yeah. Single unit Vinoteque. I'll pull the bottles tomorrow and see what the cooling unit looks like. My parents are coming over tomorrow so I'll have my rocket scientist dad (seriously) take a look and see what he thinks.

Yeah, just take measurements of the existing unit, internal volume of the cabinet and you should be good to go. Winemate 1500-CD is probably sufficient for a single-door cabinet. That's what's in mine. I think they retail for $600.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

baqui63

rjquillin wrote:I'm thinking a lot would depend on thermal losses through your walls into whatever external ambient you have. I think I saw some design calculations on one of the sites that could help you decide.

I'll have to look around for some info. The Breezaire people probably have info as well.

My basement stays around 68degF year round, so the temperature differential would be about 13degF. If I build a 4' deep x 7' wide by 7' high box with a frame of 2x4's, that would be about 3-1/2" of insulation, probably with wood paneling on the inside and (I guess) sheetrock on the outside. Its "ceiling" and floor could be about the same, I guess, except a thicker floor with no sheetrock under it.

Hmmm... it might just make sense to build this rather than try to buy something...

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Yeah, just take measurements of the existing unit, internal volume of the cabinet and you should be good to go. Winemate 1500-CD is probably sufficient for a single-door cabinet. That's what's in mine. I think they retail for $600.

Mine is double door but single temperature. $600 sounds way way better than $3k! I've got some tool work to do today to get to the cooling unit. I'll report back. This place is seriously awesome.

North316

It's not much, but I going to be picking up a 20-25 bottle (yeah I am laughing too) Avanti cooler from someone on CL for $40. Need to get all the good bottles in something a little better before the temps rise, and at $2/btl, I guess it helps.

My CT

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Mine is double door but single temperature. $600 sounds way way better than $3k! I've got some tool work to do today to get to the cooling unit. I'll report back. This place is seriously awesome.

Yeah, so then you might need the next level up unit, depending on the specs. It's mostly related to the volume of air it needs to cool. Also be sure to check out the airflow and exhaust setup of your current cooling unit. Ideally you'd match that pattern to any new unit. There's internal air intake/outlet (probably front/bottom, respectively) and warm air exhaust (either back or top - very important to check) to consider.

Also, have you tried simply recharging the freon in your current unit? Sometimes that's all a flagging a/c unit needs to give it a kick in the pants for a few more years. I'm honestly not sure if the wine units take standard freon but it's definitely worth checking since that'll run you < $20. (Note that I have no idea why it needs replacing, and you've probably already covered this elsewhere. If the motor is dead or coils broke then clearly you're s.o.l.)

kylemittskus

Klez, I have tried nothing yet. I'll try the freon first and see. Next will come everything else you said. You, sir, are the man. That is all fantastic information.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Klez, I have tried nothing yet. I'll try the freon first and see. Next will come everything else you said. You, sir, are the man. That is all fantastic information.

Happy to help. I don't know how your cooling unit is broken, but if it seems to work except for the cooling aspect then freon/coolant is a likely suspect. This also applies to wall unit a/c, car a/c, and central a/c. Apparently freon can just slowly leak out over time.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Redwinefan: "I've got a 380 bottle cooler (the kind you keep in the garage) I'd part with for the price I paid: $500... but you have to come to Austin, Texas to haul it away."

Why are you letting it go?

Z

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:Happy to help. I don't know how your cooling unit is broken, but if it seems to work except for the cooling aspect then freon/coolant is a likely suspect. This also applies to wall unit a/c, car a/c, and central a/c. Apparently freon can just slowly leak out over time.

Off to find some freon!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
kylemittskus wrote:Off to find some freon!

Most home refrigeration systems are 'sealed systems' which require you to desolder or cut the service line to access the system; not to mention the need of a vacuum pump, manifold guage set, 134a refrigerant and a braze torch to recharge and reseal the system.

The compressor coils short circuited on my winemate 1500cd. I did a lot of research to see about replacing it myself but, as mentioned above, it required too many special tools. I ended up picking up a used cooling unit on ebay, same model, for $150. It works for now.

I've contacted vinotemp about my winemate compressor issue and they have a repair service. You should try contacting the manufacture of your unit and see if they have a similar service. It might be a reasonable repair price!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
zmanonice wrote:Redwinefan: "I've got a 380 bottle cooler (the kind you keep in the garage) I'd part with for the price I paid: $500... but you have to come to Austin, Texas to haul it away."

Why are you letting it go?

Z

Too much wine, and I'm possibly going to move, so I relocated everything to a wine locker for the time being. If I put my house on the market, I don't want people snooping in my wine collection.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

ajrod27 wrote:Most home refrigeration systems are 'sealed systems' which require you to desolder or cut the service line to access the system; not to mention the need of a vacuum pump, manifold guage set, 134a refrigerant and a braze torch to recharge and reseal the system.

The unit I just refurb'd was an older unit using R-22. while I'm not in the refrigerating business, and with the motor functioning, it wasn't all that difficult to make good. I have manifold gauges, a pump, and a can of R-22 purchased from long ago when a domestic house unit needed service. I'm generally just a cheapskate, and at the time the equipment purchase was less than the cost of a service call for a 5T unit. Service valves can be purchased that clamp on, requiring no brazing skill. For my unit I did break lines and install a new drier and cap tube. Also cleaned and repainted both coils, as the condenser coil was totally funked out with restaurant grease, sat next to an omelet fry station for years.

I now have a great working unit.

There is no reason, other than perhaps a compressor motor failure, these small units should be able to be serviced for -far- less than a replacement unit. Even with a compressor motor failure, entire replacement units can be purchased from Grainger for well under $200. Would all undertake what I did? Not likely, but some will and do. If the owner can carry it into a smaller service facility, it should be economically serviceable.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
rjquillin wrote:
There is no reason, other than perhaps a compressor motor failure, these small units should not be able to be serviced for -far- less than a replacement unit. Even with a compressor motor failure, entire replacement units can be purchased from Grainger for well under $200. Would all undertake what I did? Not likely, but some will and do. If the owner can carry it into a smaller service facility, it should be economically serviceable.

The vinotemp service cost for a winemate cooling unit is $125 plus parts; which isn't all that bad considering replacement units go for $700.

kylemittskus wrote:

Try checking the compressor starter relay before replacing the unit. A starter relay goes for $10-$25. Also be sure to check the compressor coils for shorts before attempting to recharge the system. If the compressor is toast and needs to be replace, recharging the system will not fix your problem. If the compressor and starter relay are functioning properly, a recharge should fix it.

kylemittskus

ajrod27 wrote:Try checking the compressor starter relay before replacing the unit. A starter relay goes for $10-$25. Also be sure to check the compressor coils for shorts before attempting to recharge the system. If the compressor is toast and needs to be replace, recharging the system will not fix your problem. If the compressor and starter relay are functioning properly, a recharge should fix it.

I think I'm going to call Vinoteque and see how much they charge to come out and fix it.

baqui63

I'm considering one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wine-Cabinet-Refrigerator-Cellar-Winekoolr-Koolspace-Cooler-220-Btl-Black-/380433506146?pt=Refrigerators&hash=item58939a9f62 but cannot find many reviews of these units. I've seen a few comments about them here, but that is mostly it.

Also, a guy just posted these two Eurocave Comfort cellars on CL in New York: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/app/3001255594.html (I spoke with him an hour ago... he says he got them from someone to settle a debt about 3-4 years ago and he's guessing they are 6-7 years old. He says they have been sitting in his garage, unused since he got them. He was not able to tell me anything about what model they are or anything else and I cannot find any references to these with red doors, etc.

Any comments on these or pointers to more info about what they might be?

Thanks for any help.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I think I'm going to call Vinoteque and see how much they charge to come out and fix it.

Well, well, are we there yet, huh, are we there yet?
Impatient for an update...

CT

kylemittskus

Cooler fixer guy came today. $127 for the visit and he's going to call me with a total cost for the replacement part and the labor. He's guessing $1200-$1500. OUCH!!!!!

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:Cooler fixer guy came today. $127 for the visit and he's going to call me with a total cost for the replacement part and the labor. He's guessing $1200-$1500. OUCH!!!!!

That seems ridiculous! Ugh.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:That seems ridiculous! Ugh.

Yep. Apparently Vinoteque is the only maker of this part. And getting a new cooler would be $3k and it would be smaller. But what if another part of the cooler fails in a year?

I am at a loss.

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:Yep. Apparently Vinoteque is the only maker of this part. And getting a new cooler would be $3k and it would be smaller. But what if another part of the cooler fails in a year?

I am at a loss.

This is one reason I ended up getting a wine locker.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:This is one reason I ended up getting a wine locker.

There's no where close to me. I totally would, though.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Yep. Apparently Vinoteque is the only maker of this part. And getting a new cooler would be $3k and it would be smaller. But what if another part of the cooler fails in a year?

I am at a loss.

Hopefully he'll indicate exactly what is non-functioning. But that quote sounds outrageous.

CT

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:Cooler fixer guy came today. $127 for the visit and he's going to call me with a total cost for the replacement part and the labor. He's guessing $1200-$1500. OUCH!!!!!

Your cooler problems must be catching. I still have close to 100 bottles in my 360 bottle cooler that's sitting in my garage that I haven't moved to my locker yet. I went out to grab a bottle of Ty's Red 2009 to try later, and the cooling unit was completely frozen and not pumping any cold air.

Moved the rest of the bottles inside to bring down to my wine locker tomorrow. Bottle exterior temps are reading 74 degrees so I don't think any damage was done *fingers crossed*.

Meanwhile... party?

klezman

If you can find one that fits, a new cooling unit is way cheaper.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
redwinefan wrote:This is one reason I ended up getting a wine locker.

Question for you. If you have a wine locker, how do you protect yourself if the locker provider fails to pay his rent? In that case the landlord changes the locks and you can't get in, and I thought they could use the contents of the building to pay off the debt. Curious minds want to know what happens next.

Z

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:If you can find one that fits, a new cooling unit is way cheaper.

I asked about that. He said there's no other unit that would fit. I'll look for one, but it would have to be the same exact model.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I asked about that. He said there's no other unit that would fit. I'll look for one, but it would have to be the same exact model.

Many eyes looking way better than only two.
What model and dimensions?

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Many eyes looking way better than only two.
What model and dimensions?

I'll have to break the thing open and see Friday. I'll post updates when I do.

I iz sad.