kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ciaranannrach wrote:Sounds like a solid plan - just make sure you get a few moving blankets (or blankets you don't care much about). You'll want to lay those down on the bed of the truck before you put your cooler in, so the truck doesn't scratch up your cooler.

Yep. I drove mine home in my truck (3 hour trip) and it's running great!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
kylemittskus wrote:Yep. I drove mine home in my truck (3 hour trip) and it's running great!

Did you keep it standing upright in the truck or did you lay it down?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
redwinefan wrote:Did you keep it standing upright in the truck or did you lay it down?

Standing it upright could be a horrendously bad idea waiting to happen - not without a large amount of rope and some great tying skills. Last thing you want is the wind blowing it off the back of your truck and onto the highway.

I'd lay it flat, and deal with being unable to use it for a week. Absolute safest way to transport it, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

redwinefan

ciaranannrach wrote:Standing it upright could be a horrendously bad idea waiting to happen - not without a large amount of rope and some great tying skills. Last thing you want is the wind blowing it off the back of your truck and onto the highway.

I'd lay it flat, and deal with being unable to use it for a week. Absolute safest way to transport it, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Oh yes, if I was going to go that route, I was planning on getting an enclosed truck. But, lying it down would be much cheaper and easier, so that's the route I'm planning on taking.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:Oh yes, if I was going to go that route, I was planning on getting an enclosed truck. But, lying it down would be much cheaper and easier, so that's the route I'm planning on taking.

It was definitely on its side. Brought it home, let it stand and settle for two days, and life was great.

redwinefan

The 380 or so bottle cooler is now safely standing in the back of my garage. I drafted my friend, and we rented a home depot hourly truck, bought some straps, brought some blankets, and it was over within under 2 hours.

The thing is sort of a beast though and weighed much more than I suspected.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to clean it out and start it up this weekend. I've got some planning to do for how I want to arrange my collection inside of it.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:The 380 or so bottle cooler is now safely standing in the back of my garage.

Congrats, brother. Enjoy it in good health.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I think Home Depot has been offering 10% off on coolers this wknd. But the wknd's just expeired in the Eastern time zone. Might still be good.

But you can do better.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

redwinefan

I've been busy getting my new fridge organized. I even purchased a Dymo label printer, and I've been printing labels for all my wines as I load them. I've got the fridge slightly over half stocked at this point. Should have the job finished by the weekend.

I posted location barcodes along the sides of the rows so that I can scan the location they are stored in as well. I'm using a clunky program called I-cody on my iphone to do the scanning.

One thing I didn't consider when purchasing this fridge was the sheer number of odd sized bottles I own. This fridge is 10 years old or so, and I'd hazard a guess that weirdly shaped bottles have become more trendy in the past 10 years. Most of the fridge is designed for standard bottles, so I might have an overflow situation on some of the pinot bottles and other odd shapes (The Spaniard and Ortman, I'm looking at you!)

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:One thing I didn't consider when purchasing this fridge was the sheer number of odd sized bottles I own. This fridge is 10 years old or so, and I'd hazard a guess that weirdly shaped bottles have become more trendy in the past 10 years. Most of the fridge is designed for standard bottles, so I might have an overflow situation on some of the pinot bottles and other odd shapes (The Spaniard and Ortman, I'm looking at you!)

I cut out every other vertical piece on the top row for my bubbles and whiskeys to stand upright. The Rhone bottles are still only on the bottom. Haven't quite figured out what to do yet.

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:I cut out every other vertical piece on the top row for my bubbles and whiskeys to stand upright. The Rhone bottles are still only on the bottom. Haven't quite figured out what to do yet.

Hmmm, I haven't even gotten to my bubbles yet, but thankfully I only have a few bottles of those. Should I be storing them upright as well? Didn't realize that.

kylemittskus

redwinefan wrote:Hmmm, I haven't even gotten to my bubbles yet, but thankfully I only have a few bottles of those. Should I be storing them upright as well? Didn't realize that.

I don't think it matters, IIRC. It just is the best way to store it for me since champagne bottles are even bigger than the Rhone bottles which don't fit either.

fcherena

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fcherena

Does anyone have any experience with Avanti Wine Fridges? Have an opportunity to pick up a cheap 50 bottle fridge for $100.

WC600CL is model number. I believe its discontinued but is said to be in working condition.

Link for manualhttp://www.avantiproducts.com/manual/wc600cl_wc601cl.pdf

kylemittskus

fcherena wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Avanti Wine Fridges? Have an opportunity to pick up a cheap 50 bottle fridge for $100.

WC600CL is model number. I believe its discontinued but is said to be in working condition.

Link for manualhttp://www.avantiproducts.com/manual/wc600cl_wc601cl.pdf

Have it plugged in when you pick it up. If it's working, I'd grab it at that price.

fcherena

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fcherena
kylemittskus wrote:Have it plugged in when you pick it up. If it's working, I'd grab it at that price.

Thanks Kyle. Picked it up on saturday. Very difficult loading it into my sedan, had run to get a truck! Plugged in and working nicely at home. Now I need to fill it up!

kylemittskus

fcherena wrote:Thanks Kyle. Picked it up on saturday. Very difficult loading it into my sedan, had run to get a truck! Plugged in and working nicely at home. Now I need to fill it up!

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

for those in SFO area. here is a old Vinotheque for $150. Not many details but might be worth a look.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/2190167571.html

buckeye566

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buckeye566
cathyk39 wrote:I've been storing wines in my basement for years. I recently purchased a plain, old fashioned thermometer and every time I've checked it its been right around 63 degrees. Now, I'm not storing expensive wines for decades. . .but what I am storing seems to be faring just fine after a few years.

I did recently purchase a wine cooler (actually, a friend found it at a yard sale, brand new, for $100 so I could NOT resist) and have been using that to store the wines I want to consume immediately (and by that I mean "within the next few months"). Its a great way to have both reds and whites at ready-to-drink temps.

What part of the country are you in?

voidxyz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages voidxyz

what a nice looking cellar -

http://www.krishelmick.com/Clients/BS/jennifer-aniston-house-4.jpg

from jen aniston's house.

any idea what kind of rungs those are which hold the bottles? any guesses on a price for a comparable cellar?

kylemittskus

voidxyz wrote:what a nice looking cellar -

http://www.krishelmick.com/Clients/BS/jennifer-aniston-house-4.jpg

from jen aniston's house.

any idea what kind of rungs those are which hold the bottles? any guesses on a price for a comparable cellar?

To be honest, I would guess it's not that expensive. Now this one...

ahueston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahueston

I was looking on craigslist in my area and i found for $900 an Avanti 155 Bottle Duel zone and a $300 Koolspace 220 Bottle.

Is the price differance worth the quality?

kylemittskus

ahueston wrote:I was looking on craigslist in my area and i found for $900 an Avanti 155 Bottle Duel zone and a $300 Koolspace 220 Bottle.

Is the price differance worth the quality?

IMO, nope! Grab the bigger and cheaper. More monies for wine.

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

Looking for a cooler to put in an unfinished basement - 50-75 bottles. It doesn't have to look nice, just work. I don't need to spend extra for it to look good or necessarily be real quiet.I read some of the reviews and it scares me how many seem to break in a year or so. There also seems to be a large difference in prices. I just hit my 20th Woot and between that and another wine of the month club I figure I need something more temperature steady than just the unfinished basement!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
oncman wrote:Looking for a cooler to put in an unfinished basement - 50-75 bottles. It doesn't have to look nice, just work. I don't need to spend extra for it to look good or necessarily be real quiet.I read some of the reviews and it scares me how many seem to break in a year or so. There also seems to be a large difference in prices. I just hit my 20th Woot and between that and another wine of the month club I figure I need something more temperature steady than just the unfinished basement!

Mine's still working just fine after 3 years (knock on wood). It seems like the thermoelectric ones are the ones with more issues.

How hot/cold does your basement get in summer/winter? And the other factor is the humidity.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Mine's still working just fine after 3 years (knock on wood). It seems like the thermoelectric ones are the ones with more issues.

How hot/cold does your basement get in summer/winter? And the other factor is the humidity.

It stays fairly cool all year long. It shouldn't need to work too hard to keep it cool. I am in Cincinnati so humidity in the summer is a factor.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

HOTTER weather is here in many parts of the country. My wine's gonna cook if I don't find the right cooler.

Looking for approx. 225-350 capacity (about 1/4 of my holdings are sparkling in larger bottles)....could go for even larger capacity....prefer new....want a great deal of course!! ;)

Can't buy older one off Craig's list, etc. as I'd be unable to move it, and I'd be constantly fretting about performance even more than with a new one.

Distrustful of major brands based on wide research. Distrustful of junk brands, too. (Though my current 3 foreign-branded cheapo coolers, approx. 45 bottles each, have worked like gems for 3 years.)

If you see any great deals matching what I'm looking for on the internet or in a print ad, pls. let me know, folks!!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang

Saw this posted on an online deals website:

Igloo 19-Bottle Wine Cooler
$99 with free shipping.
There is also a coupon code: AFL4COUPON for 4% off.

Has anyone had any experience with this brand? Amazon reviews on this model is terrible because all reviewers had the unit damaged during shipment. No reviews for undamaged working model.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

WOOOOOHOOOOO

Who says you can't get much for a DOLLAR these days. How about....

1 WORKING "Le Cache 500 French Provincial Wine Cabinet"

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MichaelWB wrote:WOOOOOHOOOOO

I saw your post on the wine forum -- you mentioned "winning" something. Was this on eBay? A dollar -- congrats! Now you just need to get it to your house.

MichaelWB

InFrom wrote:I saw your post on the wine forum -- you mentioned "winning" something. Was this on eBay? A dollar -- congrats! Now you just need to get it to your house.

Yep...been on pins and needles the last week since I found it and was hoping I wouldn't get in a high bidding war. But never expected for me to get it with my "placeholder" bid.

Waiting to hear back from the seller..the listing said they are moving and why they had to sell. So they will be wanting to get this done quickly. Listing is in the same general area of DFW I am so shouldn't be more than a 25 mile drive if that.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
MichaelWB wrote:Yep...been on pins and needles the last week since I found it and was hoping I wouldn't get in a high bidding war. But never expected for me to get it with my "placeholder" bid.

Waiting to hear back from the seller..the listing said they are moving and why they had to sell. So they will be wanting to get this done quickly. Listing is in the same general area of DFW I am so shouldn't be more than a 25 mile drive if that.

Nice find!

Z

kylemittskus

MichaelWB wrote:WOOOOOHOOOOO

Congrats! That's a better deal than I made; I had to trade a $75 52 bottle cooler for my 500. Now, fill 'er up!!!

MichaelWB

I'm going to try but right now I'm pretty steamed... the seller is trying to con me in saying he had forgotten about the auction and would rather turn it into fire wood than sell to me for a dollar. Along with guilt trip of trying to liquidate items due to losing a job. He wants to make a "fair" deal with me but not at $1

I reminded him that he had various ways of protecting a minimum bid such as a reserve, a higher minimum bid, and ability to end the auction as long as more than 12 hours was left.

Im not sure of what I can legally do if he continues down this path.

kylemittskus

MichaelWB wrote:Im not sure of what I can legally do if he continues down this path.

You can file with eBay and nothing changes for you. You could theoretically take him to small claims since you entered a contract with him and see if the court would compel him to give you the cooler. Or you could offer him $100 and threaten court if he doesn't agree. I was concerned this would happen when you said it was on ebay and ended at a buck.

MichaelWB

kylemittskus wrote:You can file with eBay and nothing changes for you. You could theoretically take him to small claims since you entered a contract with him and see if the court would compel him to give you the cooler. Or you could offer him $100 and threaten court if he doesn't agree. I was concerned this would happen when you said it was on ebay and ended at a buck.

I put the ball in his court by asking "What exactly do you feel is a "fair price" when the item was listed 10 days with no bid besides my own and you had previously listed on ebay before with noone buying it. " I know he also has had this listed on craigslist for a month now where it listed TWO Le Cache 500's...the other one has never shown up on ebay.

I'm leary of trying to make him an offer because couldn't that be viewed as breaking the agreement (in such I'm agreeing the price was too low)

kylemittskus

MichaelWB wrote:I put the ball in his court by asking "What exactly do you feel is a "fair price" when the item was listed 10 days with no bid besides my own and you had previously listed on ebay before with noone buying it. " I know he also has had this listed on craigslist for a month now where it listed TWO Le Cache 500's...the other one has never shown up on ebay.

I'm leary of trying to make him an offer because couldn't that be viewed as breaking the agreement (in such I'm agreeing the price was too low)

I'm not an attorney. I was just throwing out ideas. If you'd like a real answer, I can ask SWMBO; she is an attorney. It'll be interesting to see what he says. I'll ask SWMBO tomorrow if I remember (she's sleeping right now).

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
MichaelWB wrote:I put the ball in his court by asking "What exactly do you feel is a "fair price" when the item was listed 10 days with no bid besides my own and you had previously listed on ebay before with noone buying it. " I know he also has had this listed on craigslist for a month now where it listed TWO Le Cache 500's...the other one has never shown up on ebay.

Did you pay the dollar yet? It seems that the only protection you might have (at least according to ebay) is that if you have already paid and the seller refuses to ship you can file a claim with ebay. They wont get the item for you, but ebay refunds your money and then would take some sort of legal action against this guy. I doubt it would go very far because it is only over a dollar, but you can threaten him with that route and see if he budges.

On the flip side I think he can get out of it by saying it was already sold on Craigs list and he forgot to remove the listing on ebay.

Good luck to you though.

kylemittskus

SWMBO says (this is her gut guess without research) that you could to to small claims and the judge could compel him to honor the contract. She also doesn't think that offering him $100 changes your end of the contract since what you're getting is the exact same.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LSlipetz wrote: ...

On the flip side I think he can get out of it by saying it was already sold on Craigs list and he forgot to remove the listing on ebay.

Good luck to you though.

IIRC, the point was that it wasn't sold on Craig's list at all (where there were 2 of them listed).

So the owner can't say that at all.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:IIRC, the point was that it wasn't sold on Craig's list at all (where there were 2 of them listed).

So the owner can't say that at all.

I think the idea is that this is what people typically say in order to get out of selling something that they have posted on eBay.

kylemittskus wrote:SWMBO says (this is her gut guess without research) that you could to to small claims and the judge could compel him to honor the contract. She also doesn't think that offering him $100 changes your end of the contract since what you're getting is the exact same.

I hear a distant echo from first-year Contracts class (>20 years ago) "you can't compel specific performance", meaning you can't make the other party sell you the cooler; instead your remedy would be $$$ damages. I think that unless you could prove that you expended more than a dollar on the sale (you spent some money in reliance on the other person's promise to sell this to you), you will not get far. I don't think you would get anything from small claims court, since what have you lost, money-wise? No doubt eBay will refund your dollar if the seller doesn't comply, and then your out-of-pocket cost is zero. But, given that I have not had to think about this stuff much since passing the Bar, please don't take this as Gospel.

Re: eBay, I imagine that if you fill out their complaint form, they will check with the seller to confirm that you didn't get the item, then they will give you back your buck. If the seller convinces them that his failure to deliver the item was permitted within their rules, that will be the end of it. But even if they figure out that he's gaming their rules, what's the worst they can really do to him? I'm guessing the most they can do is kick him off eBay, [irony font]never to return[/irony font].