+ Add a Comment

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh
tlonsammie wrote:Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to check out Lowes.

Make sure you get them to give you a discount &/or free delivery.

With each cooler I purchased, I made sure free delivery was included in the purchase price.

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Bumpin' back up.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

vwap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwap

Are there any small-ish coolers that hold Magnums? I've got a few mags that need a home, but my fridge (a ~40 bottle MagicChef, I believe) doesn't really work for that...

dakillawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillawoot
dsapp wrote:Review of VinoTemp VT-60 Wine Cellar (Long Post)

Nine days ago, I purchased a “scratch ‘n dent” 58-bottle VinoTemp wine cellar on Ebay for $275 delivered from a guy named Scott who works for a company in Austin, Texas, called Stuart Connections...

Hows it running? I saw an advertisement from Stuart Connections for scratch n dent Vinotemps and I need a new fridge. Thanks.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Still looking for a 200-300 bottle capacity cooler at a good price, and hoping to finally find one before hot weather sets in. I've been checking Craigs List for the DC area from time to time but the prices are ridiculous, even on very small units or "high mileage" units.

Because shipping of a larger unit is going to be expensive, and I'm wary of used and refurb anythings, I'd prefer something sourced locally or a Costco type deal where shipping is free or cheap and they stand behind the products "forever." But I've checked Costco and its warehouse competitors and found little of interest.

If anyone happens to see a cooler that I might find of interest (the narrower the width the better) or has any ideas about other places to look online or brick-or-mortar stores other than the ususal places, please let me know here or preferably by PM. Thanks!!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

Picked this up after research and talking to bff whose husband is an aficionado both showed Kenmore was pretty reliable. Paid about $190 with tax during a recent sale (20% off, then 10% off). It's half-full and so far seems to be working great. I can hear it, but it's quiet. I'm sure my poor bottles were shocked at the move from the closet (~76 F) to this more appropriate environment!

The one thing I don't really like is that the description online didn't say that you have to stack bottles on the lower three shelves, and that due to bottle shapes I can't really get the middle two stacked with 7 each in a way that ensures me they are secure. I'm still working on that (will have to figure it out soon; I have Ty Catons on the way and a couple side deals with local w.w types).

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp
dakillawoot wrote:Hows it running? I saw an advertisement from Stuart Connections for scratch n dent Vinotemps and I need a new fridge. Thanks.

Still runnin' as I expected. No problems so far.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Does anybody know anything about wine lockers? Someone mentioned Florida, Hurricane season, no power for days... Anyway it got me to thinking, I only have about 140 bottles but I would hate to lose any of them.

It seems like in Jacksonville, FL the only lockers around are very high end places that are way out of reach for me.

I did notice UHaul has climate controlled lockers for like 10 bucks a month, they said 58 degrees. So, I was just wondering if anybody has used UHaul to store their wine

smartheart

Costco has had some good bargains on 150+ bottle coolers. I balked because they wanted an *additional* $200-300 to carry them 15 feet into the house from the curb.

Home Depot also has some slightly discounted coolers for the next couple days. Actually, not terrible deals as shipping is included, at least at the ones I was looking at online.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

smartheart

duplicate posting created in error while I thought I was editing...MODS PLS DELETE

--D. Parker

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

picked up a scratch n dent wine cooler for free!

it works... and it's "new" just scratch and dent from the manufacturer. it doesn't really work though... it only cools the wine to 54 degrees, and maintains that temperature, which isn't a terrible thing, but i can't adjust it at all.

NYC!

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
gijose wrote:it only cools the wine to 54 degrees, and maintains that temperature, which isn't a terrible thing, but i can't adjust it at all.

54 degrees is the ideal temperature for long term storage, so I'd say you scored!

Stash at CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
gijose wrote:picked up a scratch n dent wine cooler for free!

it works... and it's "new" just scratch and dent from the manufacturer. it doesn't really work though... it only cools the wine to 54 degrees, and maintains that temperature, which isn't a terrible thing, but i can't adjust it at all.

And it was $FREE.99!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

wikihow just highlighted an article on How to Turn Your Mini Fridge Into a Wine Refrigerator.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
zTimothyBz wrote:wikihow just highlighted an article on How to Turn Your Mini Fridge Into a Wine Refrigerator.

-- T

Great link! I was worried about storing wine in a fridge for a couple months while I build a cellar, but now I know precisely what to do.

Thanks!

Stash at CT

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
Corrado wrote:One of the zones in one of the Haiers has stopped cooling (reports ambient room temp). Tech support has not acknowledged any of my 3 attempts at contact via their online support site. Fortunately, my basement where I have these is 55F right now, so my wine is 'safe' until summer. Regardless, the temp controls are very poor, the top zone does not go above 54F, all zones in all coolers run about 4F colder than the display, and the fans run 24/7 (Vinotemp only *really* runs when it's working. *REALLY* DO NOT RECOMMEND HAIER!

I have two of the 12+6 coolers, and the upper zone in one of mine just failed after almost exactly two years of running. I took off the back panel and took apart the refrigeration unit. It still creates a (slight) temperature gradient, just not nearly as much of one as is needed. If their support is as bad as you say, and there's no way to fix it, I might just tear out the shelf that separates the two zones and see if it can just be a single-setting cooler.

Mine were both gifts, so I can't let myself be too unhappy with them. My only negative observations would be: 1.) the cooling power is limited to about 15 degrees below ambient, and 2.) there are only about 4 spots in the 18-bottle cooler where larger-based pinot noir bottles can fit, nor is it deep enough to hold taller Alsace-style bottles.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

not sure if anyone checks this from the Colorado mountains, but this is an amazing deal...
http://denver.craigslist.org/app/1291565750.html

Unfortunately, Vail is a bit too far from Denver, as I'd need to rent a truck to get it down to Denver.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Someone locally (as in, I could go pick it up with possibly my station wagon, definitely a friend's pick up truck) is selling a Nordicorp/Vinotheque 336 bottle cellar for about $1k, and I'm considering it. Apparently it's an older version of their current 320 model.

Thoughts? I really need a large storage solution for my cellar, and while I only have about 100 bottles now - this seems like a pretty decent deal.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Free 6 bottle one with a case of mediocre wine: A case of wine and a 6 bottle cooler for $120 shipped

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
ddeuddeg wrote:
Free 6 bottle one with a case of mediocre wine: A case of wine and a 6 bottle cooler for $120 shipped

Be careful; you're signing up for their wine club by going in on that offer.

They say you can decline any future offers (at $140 each), there's no membership fees, and you can cancel at any time, but still... It's easy to forget to get stuck with shipments you don't want with this sort of 'deal', and sometimes canceling isn't as straight-forward as it should be.

ddeuddeg

yumitori wrote:Be careful; you're signing up for their wine club by going in on that offer.

They say you can decline any future offers (at $140 each), there's no membership fees, and you can cancel at any time, but still... It's easy to forget to get stuck with shipments you don't want with this sort of 'deal', and sometimes canceling isn't as straight-forward as it should be.

Every word of this is true. However, if you insist on canceling, it's not that difficult. You just have to avoid being wishy-washy.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm

Man, this thread has gotten really long, and now that I'm finally looking for a grown-up size wine fridge. Anyone care to sum-up the best 300-bottle (or larger)wine fridge out there, or at least tell the most important features to look for? Price is not a huge concern.

more than enough wine.woots!

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Ok, folks... I already have 3 wine fridges, so that's not the issue. However, I have noticed recently that a few labels have fallen off of bottles I have in one of the coolers. (44-bottle, from Home Depot. Can't remember the brand off hand) I'm in west Texas, so it's not like it's that humid here. Any thoughts? Just a few bad labels? Too much moisture in the cooler? Thanks.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
eric9tx wrote:Ok, folks... I already have 3 wine fridges, so that's not the issue. However, I have noticed recently that a few labels have fallen off of bottles I have in one of the coolers. (44-bottle, from Home Depot. Can't remember the brand off hand) I'm in west Texas, so it's not like it's that humid here. Any thoughts? Just a few bad labels? Too much moisture in the cooler? Thanks.

Were they pedroncelli? I find they come off easily.

Re: wine club. It sounds like Columbia House lives!

signed.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
mlhelm wrote:Man, this thread has gotten really long, and now that I'm finally looking for a grown-up size wine fridge. Anyone care to sum-up the best 300-bottle (or larger)wine fridge out there, or at least tell the most important features to look for? Price is not a huge concern.

if price isn't a concern, check out EuroCave. Amazing products and great service, but you pay through the nose for it all. Also to consider: Le Cache and Vinotheque.

To help narrow it down....do you need multiple zones or is one zone sufficient? How bout the styling of the Unit itself - wood, stainless, built-in, etc.

CT

ddeuddeg

canonizer wrote:Re: wine club. It sounds like Columbia House lives!

An excellent characterization. But wait, do you mean Columbia House doesn't still live?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
canonizer wrote:Were they pedroncelli? I find they come off easily.

Ding ding ding!
We have a winner! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

Yes, I remember seeing a Pedroncelli label, but also Seghesio and at least one more which I can't remember right now. I'll check after work. Nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to. Thanks.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jg167

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jg167

Any reviews on the Vinotemp VT-48TEDS-2Z? Its the largest thermoelectric I have seen (48 bottles) but I can't even find a power spec for it let alone a place to go see one (any views of overall Vinotemp quality?)

My old cooler has died long ago and I'm looking to get a new one. I tried an Amana/Haier (looks like lots of brands are the same) unit claimed to be "ultra quite 47 decibels" but it was really 57 and very noisy. So I convinced BeverageFactory to take that sucker back.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
jg167 wrote:Any reviews on the Vinotemp VT-48TEDS-2Z? Its the largest thermoelectric I have seen (48 bottles) but I can't even find a power spec for it let alone a place to go see one (any views of overall Vinotemp quality?)

My old cooler has died long ago and I'm looking to get a new one. I tried an Amana/Haier (looks like lots of brands are the same) unit claimed to be "ultra quite 47 decibels" but it was really 57 and very noisy. So I convinced BeverageFactory to take that sucker back.

Vinotemp is good quality overall. No experience with that specific cooler, though. How much?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

houtx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages houtx

What do you all think of buying a piece of furniture from a second hand shop and outfitting as a wine cabinet? Is it really as simple as adding some foam insulation, shelving, sealant and a cooling unit? Maybe a light.

Sounds fun to me, but if it's a terrible idea, I'll stop dreaming.

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad

Don't know if anyone else has been contemplating the new cooler line from WE called N'FINITY, but I ordered the 170 model and when it arrives in early December I will post a full report here.

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang

Haier 96-Can/46-Wine Bottle Beverage Center
Model HBCN05EBB
$150

Does anyone have experience with this particular unit for use as a wine cooler? For $150, it seems like a pretty good deal for a 46-bottle wine cooler--almost as good as the Urbina Design cooler from last year. A couple of online reviews I read mainly complained that it only cools down to 55 degrees--which is perfect. Just wondering about reliability, noise, and suitability for wine storage.

Thanks!

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
zTimothyBz wrote:wikihow just highlighted an article on How to Turn Your Mini Fridge Into a Wine Refrigerator.

-- T

I was going to recommend getting one of those external temperature controls too, but using a full size FREEZER you get massive storage for about 1/3 the price of a "wine cellar" and can probably fit 10 cases in there. :-)

Belay that!!! What I was recommending is getting a thermostat controller. DO NOT USE A TIMER or you'll freeze your wine on a cold day, and scorch it on a hot day.

Get one of these and all will be kept at PERFECT TEMPERATURE:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1214&osCsid=5de3d6f6aca018ee63ea134daa2e1d04

Oh, yeah, also, get some propylene glycol. Mix it 50/50 with distilled water and put it in a large flat pan in the bottom of your winerator. This will modulate humidity to exactly 70%. Or, get some of those dehumidification crystals from the grocery/hardware store and keep the humidity in the teens or less. I'm not sure what ideal humidity is for wine. For cigars it's 70% @ 70F.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
ckeilah wrote:I was going to recommend getting one of those external temperature controls too, but using a full size FREEZER you get massive storage for about 1/3 the price of a "wine cellar" and can probably fit 10 cases in there. :-)

Belay that!!! What I was recommending is getting a thermostat controller. DO NOT USE A TIMER or you'll freeze your wine on a cold day, and scorch it on a hot day.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1214&osCsid=5de3d6f6aca018ee63ea134daa2e1d04

Oh, yeah, also, get some propylene glycol. Mix it 50/50 with distilled water and put it in a large flat pan in the bottom of your winerator. This will modulate humidity to exactly 70%. Or, get some of those dehumidification crystals from the grocery/hardware store and keep the humidity in the teens or less. I'm not sure what ideal humidity is for wine. For cigars it's 70% @ 70F.

Please see my experience with doing exactly that here.

Basically, the freezer was scaffolding at keeping humidity in check and eventually rusted itself out due to condensation on the coils (something your pan of glycol is not going to help with).

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

smartheart

ckeilah wrote:I was going to recommend getting one of those external temperature controls too, but using a full size FREEZER you get massive storage for about 1/3 the price of a "wine cellar" and can probably fit 10 cases in there. :-)

I am not a techie-type but this would seem simpler than recalibrating (and seasonally recalibrating) an internal thermostast.

1. Would vibrations be a long-term problem for the wine with this? (Do freezers vibrate more or less than refrigerators if that is relevant?)

2. How often would the crystals have to be replaced?

3. Does this whole approach work better with a freezer than a refrigerator?

4. Will this truly work as well as a 300+ bottle wine cooler?

--D. Parker

jg167

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jg167
kylemittskus wrote:Vinotemp is good quality overall. No experience with that specific cooler, though. How much?

Its $600 from Vinotemp + $200 for shipping. But they don't have enough data, no power consumption or cooling capacity. After my fiasco with The BeverageFactory I'm not buying something that I haven't seen first hand. (I did get TBF to take back the Amana/Haier unit that was so noisy, they refused to acknowledge false advertising and, after filing a BBB dispute, ended up settling for only losing $200 on the deal, gee thanks. Beware of doing business with them.) Anyway Lowes carries Vinotemp coolers so I'm going to see if I can get them to get one into the store.

exlaxer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exlaxer

I can get a Danby 30-bottle unit (mod# DWC283BLS) from a neighbor for $100 (may still be under warranty; she recently closed a dinner preparation store and needs to cast off equipment). Currently have it plugged in to see if it works well. Seems like a great deal, but reviews on Amazon have me worried about putting in good wine and having the unit scaffolding out on me. Anybody have advice or experience with Danbys? Give it a try or run away? Thanks.

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

Anyone looking at the Home Depot Black Friday offers for wine coolers?

Magic Chef (Vissani) 52 bottle Model #MCWC52B - $148
Magic Chef (Vissani) 6 bottle Model #MVWC6B - $48

Anyone have experience with Magic Chef as a wine cooler brand? Opinions on these offers?

I'm looking for something around 50-60 bottles and that is in the right price range...

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose
Merlynxlii wrote:Anyone looking at the Home Depot Black Friday offers for wine coolers?

Magic Chef (Vissani) 52 bottle Model #MCWC52B - $148
Magic Chef (Vissani) 6 bottle Model #MVWC6B - $48

Anyone have experience with Magic Chef as a wine cooler brand? Opinions on these offers?

I'm looking for something around 50-60 bottles and that is in the right price range...

The problem with any wine cooler under 2-300 (and even more) or so is that they generally die within a year or two of use... If you do a search for the model you're looking for on google, you can probably find if it's reliable or not

NYC!

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

Has anyone tried using SquareTrade.com for a warranty on their Wine Cooler. I have been looking to get a cooler but the horror stories of them failing after 3 months just turns me off.

I was looking at the 29 bottle GE profile for 399-499 at Lowes that seems like it might be a good one. anyone have any exp. with this one.

Little bit small but good for a condo.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=180050-83-PWR04FANBS&lpage=none