WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Red Zeppelin Tempranillo-Tannat-Syrah (2)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 48.443s
First Sucker:
MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot:
estherb57
Last Purchase:
3 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 32% of Wine Woots
Top 32% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Top 32% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 2% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 2% < 10 woots
  • 12% < 25 woots
  • 84% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 2% one year old
  • 95% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 74% bought 1
  • 21% bought 2
  • 5% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

9%
5%
2%
0%
0%
2%
7%
7%
7%
5%
2%
0%
7%
0%
2%
2%
7%
5%
7%
2%
7%
5%
5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1674 Private Messages Cesare

Red Zeppelin Tempranillo-Tannat-Syrah 2-Pack
$59.99 $107.00 44% off List Price
2013 Red Zeppelin Tempranillo-Tannat-Syrah Blend, Adelaida District, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown

And, let the trolling begin!
(crickets)

stillmanbrown

Single vineyard, westside Paso. Percentages are approximate, but not too far off. The Tempranillo hill is almost too steep to walk up. Drinking window depends on cellar temperature. No, I will not be here all night, but I can read Sherman's Memoirs on Kindle and check back every few minutes.
Great book, but the Civil War hasn't started yet.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 27 Private Messages sdfreedive

I'm in for one.

So is this a drink now wine? Or should we let it knit together for another few years?

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:I'm in for one.

So is this a drink now wine? Or should we let it knit together for another few years?

It's a 'drink one bottle when you get it and then hold the other based on your patience, judgement and cellar temperature' wine. Or give me a call or email after the first bottle.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

I'm sleeping on this one, but have to add an off topic question -
Will we be seeing any Chateau Abalone any time soon?

Signed,
Low on White in Southern CA.

stillmanbrown

Sadly, that is unlikely. You could drive north :-)

michaelvella wrote:I'm sleeping on this one, but have to add an off topic question -
Will we be seeing any Chateau Abalone any time soon?

Signed,
Low on White in Southern CA.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 27 Private Messages sdfreedive

How's this harvest starting to look?

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:How's this harvest starting to look?

It's been surprisingly cool - we didn't get the rain (or the shakes) they got up north, but there have been few hot days. That said, it really IS early - likely to pick the first reds this weekend! (this is westside Paso, Adelaida/Willow Creek area.)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Zut Alors!!

On his way to torment poor Dorothy and Toto (and probably shaken up by the Napa earthquake), a flying monkey accidentally dropped a package by me. Luckily it didn't break like some hearts in Napa recently. And I let it rest for a few days, in case it had some bottle shock when dropped from that height.

Surprise, surprise, it was a bottle of Swilly's latest swill, aka Red Zeppelin Tempranillo-Tannat-Syrah blend. Looking forward to the backbone that Tannat and Syrah will put into it.

On popping, it had nice red fruit aromas (cherry, plum) along with hints of tomato, tobacco, & leather. I had chilled it, and let it bottle rest (opened bottle, sniffed, and re-corked it for an hour).

Nice deep red color, and swirls nicely. Drinking nicely after 1 hr (technically 1st hour alone in the bottle, then poured after that) for the first glass, and even better after the 2nd hour (for the 2nd glass)!

Smooth, and not as many tannins as one might expect from the Tannat & Syrah blended in. Not the big mouth-pucker tannins, but more smooth.

Nothing like swirling it too much (such that a nice 1 inch blob of red wine is on my shirt now). Mourning more for the wine than the shirt. Wonder if sucking on it would work?

More tomorrow, since I left half in the bottle for then. It'll be early, since I have a 5:30 engagement.

In for 2 sets!!! (So much for holding off on buying!)

Darn you WineDavid for putting Stillman up again!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

garyzim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garyzim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Wonder if sucking on it would work?

It had to be said:

Always seems to do the trick for me.

garyzim

stillmanbrown wrote:It's a 'drink one bottle when you get it and then hold the other based on your patience, judgement and cellar temperature' wine. Or give me a call or email after the first bottle.

Damn me for checking WineWoot tonoot. Ah, but this gives me the perfect excuse to uncork the 2012 Colossus I've been alternately longing to drink and hoarding.

Thank you Stillman.

stillmanbrown

You're welcome!
Wait . . . you're opening it NOW?
Are you in Cayucos?

garyzim wrote:Damn me for checking WineWoot tonoot. Ah, but this gives me the perfect excuse to uncork the 2012 Colossus I've been alternately longing to drink and hoarding.

Thank you Stillman.

garyzim

stillmanbrown wrote:You're welcome!
Wait . . . you're opening it NOW?
Are you in Cayucos?

No Sir. Oh but how I wish I was. Was there first week in August when I unsuccessfully fought the new bus stop they are placing in front of my house. sigh. I could have used the Colossus then. But I had bought two, which you kindly delivered, waited a bit and drank one, but have been saving the other, that first was such an - oenorgasmic experience. I only resisted this long by hiding it away.
Hoping to be back before Thanksgiving, my next "reserved" date.

eac62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eac62
sdfreedive wrote:I'm in for one.

In general, Tempranillos preserve very well, meaning they won't be hurt by waiting, but they also don't blossom and metamorphose the way some other big reds would. Lots of flexibility here.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Last week, a bottle of Swillman's wine with a dirigible on the label showed up at my house. Clearly, somebody had to take one for the team and try it, so I did so.

-- nose -- cranberry pie filling (extraction and red fruit acidity/sharpness), rhubarb, a hint of mint or something herbal - wintergreen?
-- grip, and acid. a bit of heat.
-- good fruit extraction, cranberry and rhubarb joined by some tart-ish cherry pie filling but balanced by the grip and acidity. Mouthwatering and juicy. The fruit recedes just before it becomes overwhelming; it's a bit of a headfake, seeming like it's going to go over the top but the flavor wave breaks first. That, combined with the grip, might be why I'm getting so much cranberry -- it has the same sort of zing and transition as even sweetened cranberry juice does.
-- tannins are there, but soft, well-integrated. Not over-oaked.
-- long finish (25-30 seconds, mostly in the front of the mouth)

In sum, it's some pretty tasty swill. Not a lot of wines like it out there, and definitely worth buying. Enough fruit to drink on its own, and enough structure to pair with food -- I'm thinking a roasted pork dish, or something covered in bacon.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

So what I'm getting, is this is basically a more expensive version of Mogan David Concord.

stillmanbrown

Thanks! Sorry about the lack of Petite Sirah.

PetiteSirah wrote:Last week, a bottle of Swillman's wine with a dirigible on the label showed up at my house. Clearly, somebody had to take one for the team and try it, so I did so.

-- nose -- cranberry pie filling (extraction and red fruit acidity/sharpness), rhubarb, a hint of mint or something herbal - wintergreen?
-- grip, and acid. a bit of heat.
-- good fruit extraction, cranberry and rhubarb joined by some tart-ish cherry pie filling but balanced by the grip and acidity. Mouthwatering and juicy. The fruit recedes just before it becomes overwhelming; it's a bit of a headfake, seeming like it's going to go over the top but the flavor wave breaks first. That, combined with the grip, might be why I'm getting so much cranberry -- it has the same sort of zing and transition as even sweetened cranberry juice does.
-- tannins are there, but soft, well-integrated. Not over-oaked.
-- long finish (25-30 seconds, mostly in the front of the mouth)

In sum, it's some pretty tasty swill. Not a lot of wines like it out there, and definitely worth buying. Enough fruit to drink on its own, and enough structure to pair with food -- I'm thinking a roasted pork dish, or something covered in bacon.

stillmanbrown

I think you're looking for the New York State 'Fulkerson's Zeppelin' from the Finger Lakes. And it's Mogen.
Don't let the Irish and Italian kids steal your lunch money.

gak0090 wrote:So what I'm getting, is this is basically a more expensive version of Mogan David Concord.

PetiteSirah

gak0090 wrote:So what I'm getting, is this is basically a more expensive version of Mogan David Concord.

Yes, only the exact opposite of what you said

gak0090

PetiteSirah wrote:Yes, only the exact opposite of what you said

I love jumping in and just making a complete off the wall comment about something I know nothing about. I just like to see who's paying attention and if anyone actually takes it seriously. The only Zeppelin I know anything about is Led Zeppelin.

One thing to remember is the Mogan David is available in the economy size with a very practical twist on cap, instead of those damn annoying corks!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
PetiteSirah wrote:I'm thinking a roasted pork dish, or something covered in bacon.

And what would a nice Jewish boy know about those things?
Seriously, though, nice to hear from you. It's been a while.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

stillmanbrown

"The only Zeppelin I know anything about is Led Zeppelin."

www.dreadzeppelin.com
What about the Hindenburg?

MarkDaSpark

stillmanbrown wrote:Thanks! Sorry about the lack of Petite Sirah.

We'll let it slide this time. Once.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

gak0090 wrote:I love jumping in and just making a complete off the wall comment about something I know nothing about. I just like to see who's paying attention and if anyone actually takes it seriously. The only Zeppelin I know anything about is Led Zeppelin.

One thing to remember is the Mogan David is available in the economy size with a very practical twist on cap, instead of those damn annoying corks!

Mogen .. it's even in the picture.

And I bet you still use a corkscrew to open it, don't you?

stillmanbrown

Mogan, Trollfecta's twin, is waiting for the "Game of Thrones" wines to be released.
Seriously, it's going to happen: it's Aussie plonk at $20/bottle.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
ddeuddeg wrote:And what would a nice Jewish boy know about those things?

what he said!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

gak0090

MarkDaSpark wrote:

And I bet you still use a corkscrew to open it, don't you?

Only if I'm trying to impress. Sometimes I like to aerate the wine properly, so basically I puncture the twist cap with the cork screw and shake the bottle vigorously so that I can properly aerate each precious drop. It will make a $5.99 bottle of Mogen David taste just like a bottle of Château La Mondotte Saint Emilion 1996- you should try it sometime.

stillmanbrown

The Meth Leppard Mourvedre will not be available on WW.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
stillmanbrown wrote:The Meth Leppard Mourvedre will not be available on WW.

C'mon man, break out the good stuff!

CT

gak0090

stillmanbrown wrote:The Meth Leppard Mourvedre will not be available on WW.

I've had that wine. It's a California wine with a fast metallic taste, best enjoyed with explicit lyrics.

stillmanbrown

gak0090 wrote:I've had that wine. It's a California wine with a fast metallic taste, best enjoyed with explicit lyrics.

I need to bottle it.

PetiteSirah

ddeuddeg wrote:And what would a nice Jewish boy know about those things?

rpm wrote:what he said!

Thanks -- it's nice to be missed. Just a few little things going on in real life in the meantime -- work has been very busy, and things at home leave me without much free time too.

Bacon: it's sacre-licious.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
PetiteSirah wrote:Thanks -- it's nice to be missed. Just a few little things going on in real life in the meantime -- work has been very busy, and things at home leave me without much free time too.

Bacon: it's sacre-licious.

Come to the Chicago Wine & Appetizer party on September 12th and I promise to open up any PS I have on hand.

MarkDaSpark

jmdavidson wrote:Come to the Chicago Wine & Appetizer party on September 12th and I promise to open up any PS I have on hand.

The cake is a lie!!!

cortot20

Swillman,
Which wineries do you consult for?

If this was a 3-pack for about $20-25 a bottle I might have considered but ouch on this one. Also, to the tasters. Did you detect any heat? 15.7% is pretty high.

CT

stillmanbrown

#sand

MarkDaSpark

Sorry for the delay in the 2nd Day Report. Those darn flying monkeys!!

No, didn't really notice any heat due to the high alcohol. I have noticed it on other, "lower" alcohol wines.

2nd day, it's still very nice. Still bright red fruit on nose & palate.

So happy I went in on 2 sets, but almost wishing I'd gone for 3 ... but alas, there's no room. Must make room by drinking wine this weekend!

cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT