WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vaughn Duffy Russian River Pinot Noir (3)

Speed to First Woot:
4m 14.448s
First Sucker:
jimjacks66
Last Wooter to Woot:
Cesare
Last Purchase:
a month ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 45% of Wine Woots
Top 25% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 35% of Wine Woots
Top 19% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 1% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 13% < 10 woots
  • 11% < 25 woots
  • 70% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 5% one year old
  • 93% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 83% bought 1
  • 15% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
0%
0%
1%
1%
2%
4%
10%
11%
8%
4%
9%
9%
4%
3%
5%
4%
2%
1%
5%
2%
3%
4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare

Vaughn Duffy Russian River Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$69.99 $139.00 50% off List Price
2012 Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

No idea on this vintner/vintage but I love Pinot Noir. Taking a flyer on this!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
jimjacks66 wrote:No idea on this vintner/vintage but I love Pinot Noir. Taking a flyer on this!

Nice back story about the winemakers under the Winery tab. The bulk of the fruit comes from the Stori vineyard, a tiny ~2 acre parcel that is located in the Green Valley of the Russian River Valley, not that far from Iron Horse. Considering Iron Horse's Pinots go for $50-$85/bottle, this definitely seems worth the flyer. Not much info on the 2012 but some very nice tasting notes on CT for the 2010 vintage. I am tempted....

HERE is a vineyard map which shows the tiny Stori vineyard near the bottom, just to the right of center (just W of Hicks Rd and a little N of Jeanette Ave.) Iron Horse takes up a good chunk of the NW quadrant of the map.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

SWMBO and I had the pleasure of 'ratting this, and a pleasure indeed it was. The wine has good color and is clear, but not brilliantly so (unfiltered, unfined, to be expected).

The nose was not huge. What there was was very nice, fresh fruit oriented. This is not a fruit bomb in any sense, but a food wine to be sure.

It was only with the entry I knew I was tasting something special - beautiful fresh berry fruit, remarkably balanced with lots of acid and enough tannin.

From that entry through the middle and into the finish, those impressions held: just enough of everything you want, with an almost textbook perfect structure.

2012 was a year where glorious fruit was to be had, and Sara and Matt were particularly successful in turning it into a wine you will enjoy drinking. This part of the Russian River Valley - as chipgreen notes, literally across Highway 116 from the Green Valle AVA where Iron Horse makes lovely Pinot - is becoming known for outstanding Pinot. At a family wedding held at Vine Hill House after the Tour, we tasted a 2012 O'Connell Estate Pinot (we looked over the vineyards from the lawn where we dined) from the same area. That was all Pommard clone and highly aromatic: another example of how good so many RRV Pinots are getting.... but, back to the Vaughn Duffy!

SWMBO, who is highly critical (though not always as analytical as I am) Pinot lover, liked it very much and was especially struck by the balance.

After 45 minutes or so, it opened up a bit in the nose, but the nose remained restrained. With our grilled Salmon dinner, the wine was as close to perfect as anything other than the old California fresh bright berry style of Zinfandel that created the pairing.

If you like the wines I tend to like, buy this. There's not much of it, and it's very, very good.

I'm usually skeptical of wine label descriptions of wines, especially from new wineries. This one, zippy energy and red berry concentration, just nailed it!

Will Matt and Sara continue to make wines this good? I don't know, but I can tell you I'll be keeping an eye on their wine!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:
If you like the wines I tend to like, buy this. There's not much of it, and it's very, very good.

Once again, I am done in by RPM. Curses! This will be waiting for me when I come to the US next summer.

Finally, I have a green box now!

My dogs like me, that is important.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

After reading rpm's tasting notes and solide recommendation, I quickly placed my order. And I just got the case off the floor and could move in the cellar. I better make sure to drink some space for this before it arrives.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

vaughnduffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vaughnduffy

Hi Wooters!

Thanks for inviting us to the party. In honor of the wooting, we are going to drink this wine all day! What's that? We're picking grapes today? Harvest is almost here and I have a to do list I can't see the end of? Oh well, we'll open a bottle tonight then...

Let me know if you have any questions about the wine or Vaughn Duffy. I'll check back later today.

Cheers!
Matt Duffy

rpm

edlada wrote:Once again, I am done in by RPM. Curses! This will be waiting for me when I come to the US next summer.

Finally, I have a green box now!

You won't curse when you drink it....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Tempted, but once again I really dislike the no summer hold option on shipping. I know WD does a great job has it down to science yada yada yada. But with the summer ship although you get a heads up FedEx tracking number, you never really know what's going on with it til the reefer truck gets to FedEx. I ended up being out of town for 10 days the last time I tried this, figured something out, but. And it's not refrigerated the last leg of the journey, correct me if I'm wrong. Rant over.

Searching around the good ol' it never lies internet, nothing but good remarks about Vaughn Duffy. The vineyard sourcing and 75% whole cluster sounds intriguing. And looks like they make a dang good rosé. Decisions decisions.

soty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soty

IF3...excited to try this limited 2012 vintage. Will be hard to practice self control.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vaughnduffy wrote:Hi Wooters!

Thanks for inviting us to the party. In honor of the wooting, we are going to drink this wine all day! What's that? We're picking grapes today? Harvest is almost here and I have a to do list I can't see the end of? Oh well, we'll open a bottle tonight then...

Let me know if you have any questions about the wine or Vaughn Duffy. I'll check back later today.

Cheers!
Matt Duffy

Welcome! This thread could be interesting by the end of the day if you drink this wine all day.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

glassglass

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glassglass
vaughnduffy wrote:Hi Wooters!

Cheers!
Matt Duffy

Hi Matt, Will you consider making the same deal and shipping this wine to wooters in states not on the woot "ship to" list? Some of the wineries will do that when they make an offering on woot, although shipping cost may be slightly higher. I would love to try this wine.

vaughnduffy

Hi RPM,

Thanks for your comments and positive review. The word "balance" is almost a cliche these days when comes to Pinot Noir speak, but that is truly what we are aiming for.

We are in love with Green Valley as a Pinot Noir AVA... Other vineyards besides Iron Horse in the neighborhood include Dehlinger, Merry Edwards and Keefer Ranch. We feel lucky to get these grapes and will be working out tails off to keep making wines this good!

Best,
Matt Duffy

vaughnduffy

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking a chance on our Pinot Noir. IMO it is a low-risk proposition!

Cheers,
Matt Duffy

vaughnduffy

Yes! Please go to vaughnduffywines.com and sign up for our mailing list. I will reply later with the offer. We will take care of you...

Cheers,
Matt Duffy

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Winery in the house, making good noises in support of wooters in areas denied...
RPM making buy-buy-buy noises...

Where will I put this?
I'll find room I guess, somewhere.

Winery question Matt;
would like your comments on life expectancy and development when properly cellared.

CT

rpm

rjquillin wrote:Winery in the house, making good noises in support of wooters in areas denied...

Where will I put this?

Winery question Matt;
would like your comments on life expectancy and development when properly cellared.

My sense is that this could age a few years, but I would have at least one bottle now to truly appreciate the job they've done with balance and fruit flavors. You usually don't see me saying this, but this time, enjoy now and in a year or three.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
vaughnduffy wrote:Hi RPM,

Thanks for your comments and positive review. The word "balance" is almost a cliche these days when comes to Pinot Noir speak, but that is truly what we are aiming for.

We are in love with Green Valley as a Pinot Noir AVA... Other vineyards besides Iron Horse in the neighborhood include Dehlinger, Merry Edwards and Keefer Ranch. We feel lucky to get these grapes and will be working out tails off to keep making wines this good!

Best,
Matt Duffy

I hadn't tried much PN until I tasted--then purchased--some on a recent visit to Iron Horse. That and really liking the Clary Ranch PN is winning me over. I'm in!

Last wooter to woot:bolligra

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
rpm wrote:You won't curse when you drink it....

Sold! Thanks to you and Mrs. RPM for the notes.
Last wooter to woot: chipgreen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Man should not be buying but winery participation, small production, my favorite AVA, and rpm endorsement making this hard to resist! This sounds like a CA Pinot that falls squarely between an old and new world style which hits my sweet spot....sweating thinking of SWMBO signing for another box of wine...

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

This will sell out. Must order.

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I too tried this wine. I was not as impressed with it, but that's not surprising given the style that it is and the style I like. It's clearly a well-made wine, very much in line with the RRV "terroir." Light-med. bodied, very food friendly (likely much better with food). Sorry for the short rattage, but I'm on vacation, posting remotely. I would think that RPM and klezman would like this. I like bigger PN so this was well made, but not for me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm

kylemittskus wrote:I too tried this wine. I was not as impressed with it, but that's not surprising given the style that it is and the style I like. It's clearly a well-made wine, very much in line with the RRV "terroir." Light-med. bodied, very food friendly (likely much better with food). Sorry for the short rattage, but I'm on vacation, posting remotely. I would think that RPM and klezman would like this. I like bigger PN so this was well made, but not for me.

Fair enough comments - this is a medium bodied Pinot Noir.

If you're looking for the kind of huge (high alcohol, heavy-bodied, often fruit forward) California Pinot Noir that resembles the huge-bodied French Village level Burgundies of the past (which weren't all Pinot despite the law, many had a healthy dose of Syrah or even Algerian red wine - a secret that made headlines some 30 years ago when word got out....), then you won't love this. You won't hate it, but it won't be for you.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

vaughnduffy

rjquillin wrote:Winery in the house, making good noises in support of wooters in areas denied...

Where will I put this?

Winery question Matt;

I think the wine will improve for at least another 3-4 years for those who like their Pinot Noir with some fruit and baby fat. Then I think another 5-8 years from now the wine will turn into something some would call "developed" or "interesting" or "complex." 10 years from now we could be looking at something really special, or a total mess... We shall see! In general, I think the wine has the acidity to hold itself together for longer than most CA Pinot Noirs...

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

This reinforces for me the value of the 'rat. And particularly a rat+1 who I know likes her reds Pinot.

1 Have not had this before, or heard of the winery

2 Not lacking for Pinots in the cellar

3 More than I would normally pay (Hey - that's why I'm here - oh, and the community, of course)

4 Great winery participation

Got some!

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I am not normally a big Pinot guy but appreciate its food friendliness and broad appeal when entertaining.

I also really respect many of those who have already spoken in favor of this wine.

Close to hitting the yellow button but wonder if any that have tasted this wine could compare/contrast to D'ontspille(a Woot classic and one of my favorite pinots

Thanks!

Is it broke or just fractured?

rpm

rlmanzo wrote:I am not normally a big Pinot guy but appreciate its food friendliness and broad appeal when entertaining.

I also really respect many of those who have already spoken in favor of this wine.

Close to hitting the yellow button but wonder if any that have tasted this wine could compare/contrast to D'ontspille(a Woot classic and one of my favorite pinots

Thanks!

Comparing this with the D'ontspille (which I thought was good at the price) is a little bit like comparing a very good Burgundy Village wine (e.g. a Nuits-St.Georges) with a simple Burgundy: this wine has a little less fruit on the nose, a much more bright berry fruit entry and better balance in the mid-palate. The finish is not as tannic as the D'ontspille; it doesn't have the 'edge' the D'ontspille did. Altogether a more interesting, complex, and deeper wine, yet thoroughly accessible and drinkable.

It's sort of like comparing David Noyes' single vineyard RRV Pinots to the D'ontspille - from same family and similar in style, but playing in different leagues.

And more than justifying the difference in price.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
rpm wrote:Comparing this with the D'ontspille (which I thought was good at the price) is a little bit like comparing a very good Burgundy Village wine (e.g. a Nuits-St.Georges) with a simple Burgundy: this wine has a little less fruit on the nose, a much more bright berry fruit entry and better balance in the mid-palate. The finish is not as tannic as the D'ontspille; it doesn't have the 'edge' the D'ontspille did. Altogether a more interesting, complex, and deeper wine, yet thoroughly accessible and drinkable.

It's sort of like comparing David Noyes' single vineyard RRV Pinots to the D'ontspille - from same family and similar in style, but playing in different leagues.

And more than justifying the difference in price.

Thanks!

Multiple posts from RPM = SALE

Is it broke or just fractured?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

woopdedoo wrote:This reinforces for me the value of the 'rat. And particularly a rat+1 who I know likes her reds Pinot.

1 Have not had this before, or heard of the winery

2 Not lacking for Pinots in the cellar

3 More than I would normally pay (Hey - that's why I'm here - oh, and the community, of course)

4 Great winery participation

Got some!

Bravo !

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Neil, PM for you.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I must admit I am intrigued by this wine, I normally do not like Pinot. But was convinced I would like the Gazi...and I did. But now with winery participation and the comments by RPM, has me thinking I might "need" to try this......... what do you think?

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT

TheHuntress

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheHuntress

Have tracking that doesn't show in FedEx system. When will this ship?

edit: and then of course it shows up the next day lol