2008 Geyser Peak Ascentia Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
2009 Geyser Peak Ascentia Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
CT links above

Previous offer:
8/16/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Oh come on! Seriously? You've had time to recover from RPM. Talk to me.

What do you like about what you see? Not like?

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

Sorry, TT; I missed the last sale and am currently in a buying freeze. So I have no experience with the wine and unless I weaken later, I probably won't be ordering.

But what I do like about it: if the QPR is even just decent, this is a great WW offering: a pair of good bottles, priced well, letting you try something without having to buy 3-6 of one kind...

Hmm, I'm actually kinda talking myself into one. Any rattage?

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:Oh come on! Seriously? You've had time to recover from RPM. Talk to me.

What do you like about what you see? Not like?

From the previous offer:

Winery rep.
2008 was an interesting vintage for vintners in Alexander Valley. The fires in Mendocino County carried smoke and ash to most of Northern Sonoma County (where Geyser Peak is) leaving a distinct smokiness to all AV reds from this year. Think grilled meats on a campfire and you've got the 2008 Ascentia.

2009 was a more typical vintage, beautiful fruit prevalent on palate. The Ascentia always tends to drink more Bordeaux-like as compared to other AV Cabs.

This is a winery-only offering, retails for $42.00 so a steal at this price. It's definitely more of an elegant Cab (as compared to others in our line up) but certainly not restricted to Black Tie occasions. We've produced this wine for many years; it has consistently proven worthy of patience in the cellar.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20

I'm not really interested in this offer. If the vintages offered where a bit older like an 04' and 05' I might have jumped on it. As far as pricing is concerned, it's $5 less this time around.

CT

sandig7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandig7

now we have to pay tax; that i can understand woot has no control over.

BUT $8.00 shipping! that's amazon greed "taking over". all i can say is, "Boo, hiss, booooooooooooooooo!!!

how about amazon prime free shipping!!!

sandig7

sandig7 wrote:now we have to pay tax; that i can understand woot has no control over.

BUT $8.00 shipping! that's amazon greed "taking over". all i can say is, "Boo, hiss, booooooooooooooooo!!!

i'd also like to add, Wait! There's Homework?!!!

sandig7

sandig7 wrote:i'd also like to add, Wait! There's Homework?!!!

i said "what the ..." and they changed it to, "wait! there's homework!"

What The ...!!!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
sandig7 wrote:now we have to pay tax; that i can understand woot has no control over.

I don't understand the shipping complaints here.
Since I have been here it's 5 bucks no matter what.
I got 2 cases of California Karma and they shipped for $8 ($3 dollars extra for summer shipping) to me thats a fantastic deal.
Go to a winery site and see what they charge to ship.
I agree the "deals" are not what they used to be, more and more are in the 40% "savings" range, add tax and shipping and your in the 30% savings range.
But the shipping is a great deal. IMHO
I DO miss the $5.00 credit on your "Birthday"

Oh BTW this is some really good juice.

PedroncelliFamily

quality posts: 62 Private Messages PedroncelliFamily

As a vintner I get it. These offers are great deals and complimentary shipping comes right off our VERY thin profit margins. This is a great vintner and it's a great deal even WITH the shipping.

dutzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dutzy

I am confused. Why can't Woot ship wine to Wisconsin? I get wine shipped to me from other companies...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

dutzy wrote:I am confused. Why can't Woot ship wine to Wisconsin? I get wine shipped to me from other companies...

I'm unsure as to why WI is not included.

I'll ping Wine Staff and inquire

EDIT: per Wine Staff, we haven't shipped to WI since SEP 2013.

If would like to find out further info, please check the following links:

ShipComplaintBlog.com
FreetheGrapes.Org

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery
PedroncelliFamily wrote:As a vintner I get it. These offers are great deals and complimentary shipping comes right off our VERY thin profit margins. This is a great vintner and it's a great deal even WITH the shipping.

Thanks Pedroncelli for the kind words. We strive hard to craft great wines, so it's great to hear kudos from our vintner colleagues!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Are you really complaining about $8 shipping? In case you hadn't noticed, it is HOT out. I think $8 to have your wine shipped in extra packaging to make sure it arrives uncooked, at your place, a small price to pay!! I pay more in shipping for things that don't even come close to weighing as much as a few bottles of wine!! I personally am glad that summer shipping is offered at a reasonable price!

bougiee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bougiee

Yeah let's hear more about this wine/winery and not the shipping.

One area where I think Woot has missed the boat is by not including offering from larger priducers at a promotional price point. Early days had wines from St Supery, Copolla, mondavi, and a few others. Problem is I'm not sure which of these wines I'll find at retail or a restaurant on East Coast - meaning I'll likely not find the wine again unless buying it discounted at woot. Find shipping at everywhere not named woot to be too cost prohibitive - or having to buy a whole case is generally a deal breaker for me.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

IMHO, shipping costs from wine.woot are a great deal. We belong to quite a few wine clubs and they all charge a good deal more to ship their wines if you don't pick them up in person.

Geyser Peak makes some excellent cab, to boot. If you're a cabernet lover this is a no brainer.

As to the smoke taint issue, I can say that we recently had a 2008 Toulouse Pinot (totally different from this offer, I know) which was very smoky and the smoke added something to the wine. It's not necessarily a bad thing. The pinot took on some bacon-esque qualities that one usually associates with syrah and was a fantastic pairing with grilled salmon.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

I had some older Geyser Peak Cabs and they were really very fine. To me this is all about the 2009: I'm sure the 2008 was well made and all, but I'd happily pay a bit more to get only 2009. I'm just not feeling the love for the 2008 Cabs from that area.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

Love the '09, but concerned with the '08.

We returned a club shipment of Goldeneye '08s because of the smoke taint.

Only an hour left, so I guess a "no go" unless someone raves about it.

We do love your Cab, though.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin