Petroni Vineyards Red 4-Pack
$59.99 $112.00 46% off List Price
2008 Rosso Di Sonoma
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

Seems like an interesting wine, any community notes?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:Seems like an interesting wine, any community notes?

Unfortunately, we didn't get around to opening this at the RPM tour meet & greet. Someone went home with the bottle, maybe if they see this they'll take one for the team and open it up to post some notes....

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

I did have this and it was enjoyed by all. Had w/ italian food. Very drinkable by itself too.
Sorry I can't be more specific. It was a while ago. No notes.
I will say I was at an independent tasting in Sonoma and it was recommended to me there.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
chipgreen wrote:Unfortunately, we didn't get around to opening this at the RPM tour meet & greet. Someone went home with the bottle, maybe if they see this they'll take one for the team and open it up to post some notes....

WD brought several bottles of this at the Meet & Greet, and I know at least two were opened and consumed. I tasted it and thought it wasn't bad at all, though it was too hot (at 15.5% alcohol) for my taste.

I first tasted Petroni wines in 2009 at the winery, which is beautiful up on the side of the mountains NE of Sonoma. I thought the Cabs and Italian style wines had real promise, especially a 2005 Brunello-style red that was very very good and seemed ageworthy (a bottle is now resting in my cellar to determine whether it's good for > 10 years).

We also tasted a Petroni Cab at the Meet & Greet, which I liked.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

sheky17g

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheky17g

Does Petroni Vineyards realize that their logo kinda looks like the logo for Greendale Community College? And as we all know the Greendale Community College logo kinda looks like a part of the human anatomy.

http://i.imgur.com/oxcszc8.png

AnthonyDiCarlo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AnthonyDiCarlo

Okay, I dragged myself out of bed early today to meet all you Wooters!!

I pretty much drink this daily with everything from soup to nuts, BBQ to Italian, with Fowl, Fin or Swine..I think you get the drift!

AnthonyDiCarlo

sheky17g wrote:Does Petroni Vineyards realize that their logo kinda looks like the logo for Greendale Community College? And as we all know the Greendale Community College logo kinda looks like a part of the human anatomy.

http://i.imgur.com/oxcszc8.png

Not Exactly what we had in mind! But I do wonder if the comes in a XXL T-Shirt to cover a certain part of my anatomy?
Anthony DiCarlo
Petroni Estate Director

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

I also tasted a few of the Petroni wines at the meet&greet. Agreed overall with rpm - more fruit-driven and bigger alcohol style all around. If you like that style, this is a solid value.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

AnthonyDiCarlo wrote:Okay, I dragged myself out of bed early today to meet all you Wooters!!

I pretty much drink this daily with everything from soup to nuts, BBQ to Italian, with Fowl, Fin or Swine..I think you get the drift!

Anthony, thanks for jumping in. This is a very solid offering.

harmonious2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious2

Sounds like a nice everyday drinker.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:I also tasted a few of the Petroni wines at the meet&greet. Agreed overall with rpm - more fruit-driven and bigger alcohol style all around. If you like that style, this is a solid value.

That's what I get for showing up late. I didn't realize there were multiples which had already been consumed, just remembered seeing a full bottle of Petroni at the end of the night.

Teefant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teefant
klezman wrote:I also tasted a few of the Petroni wines at the meet&greet. Agreed overall with rpm - more fruit-driven and bigger alcohol style all around. If you like that style, this is a solid value.

But what dominates, the fruit or the alcohol? I l.ike big wines but only where the alcohol takes the backseat and does not burn my nose.

AnthonyDiCarlo

Teefant wrote:But what dominates, the fruit or the alcohol? I l.ike big wines but only where the alcohol takes the backseat and does not burn my nose.

I don't think there is any nose burn here, really. It's a fun jammy wine; unfiltered and unfined. Great with BBQ or any peasant fare and yes the Alcohol is a bit up but isn't that true of any Sonoma/Napa wine.

I'm going to crab a glass right now!

rpm

AnthonyDiCarlo wrote:... yes the Alcohol is a bit up but isn't that true of any Sonoma/Napa wine....

I can't let this statement go by. Historically, Sonoma and Napa alcohol levels were under the 14% level that was the maximum in the +/- 1.5% leeway the traditional 12.5% label allowed. Above 14%, it's no longer "table wine" and there is (and was) a different tax regime.

Even today, many producers can and do make wines with alcohols close to or under 14%, although it's no longer fashionable to just label "12.5% alcohol".

Alcohol at 15.5% suggests harvesting fruit at around 27 degrees Brix, which suggests the jammy description comes from grapes that are very ripe.

That's a style choice which a winery team (owner/viticulturalist/winemaker) can certainly make, and many do, but such high alcohols are in no way inherent in Sonoma/Napa wines.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

AnthonyDiCarlo

rpm wrote:I can't let this statement go by. Historically, Sonoma and Napa alcohol levels were under the 14% level that was the maximum in the +/- 1.5% leeway the traditional 12.5% label allowed. Above 14%, it's no longer "table wine" and there is (and was) a different tax regime.

Even today, many producers can and do make wines with alcohols close to or under 14%, although it's no longer fashionable to just label "12.5% alcohol".

Alcohol at 15.5% suggests harvesting fruit at around 27 degrees Brix, which suggests the jammy description comes from grapes that are very ripe.

That's a style choice which a winery team (owner/viticulturalist/winemaker) can certainly make, and many do, but such high alcohols are in no way inherent in Sonoma/Napa wines.

rpm wrote:

Well said RPM! I may stand corrected - although it seems I am hard pressed to find a wine less this 14.5% these days!

This wine is simply unapologetic in its rustic appeal preferring to tackle hardy tastes of lamb, smokey cookouts - if that's in your wheelhouse this is it! Jammy yes, some alcohol yes!

AnthonyDiCarlo

Well, Anthony is actually off to join in (and enjoy) dinner at the Inn at The Tides in Bodega! They are hosting a Winemaker's Dinner tonight featuring our wines and winemaker - Martin Mackenzie. Yes - they will be serving our Rosso di Sonoma!

I'm jealous! At least I have a few bottles at home that I can enjoy. I will be honest - I have never been a red wine drinker but i do like the Rosso.

Sabrina

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

AnthonyDiCarlo wrote:Well, Anthony is actually off to join in (and enjoy) dinner at the Inn at The Tides in Bodega! They are hosting a Winemaker's Dinner tonight featuring our wines and winemaker - Martin Mackenzie. Yes - they will be serving our Rosso di Sonoma!

I'm jealous! At least I have a few bottles at home that I can enjoy. I will be honest - I have never been a red wine drinker but i do like the Rosso.

Sabrina

Thanks Sabrina. Anthony took me on a tour through the new Caves a coupld of weeks back. gonna be awesome. Highly recommend wooters check Petroni out when visiting Sonoma.

rpm

Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks Sabrina. Anthony took me on a tour through the new Caves a coupld of weeks back. gonna be awesome. Highly recommend wooters check Petroni out when visiting Sonoma.

Concur with the recommendation to visit Petroni - I was there in 2009 for a private tasting and very impressed with the gorgeous mountainside winery and views!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

AnthonyDiCarlo

rpm wrote:Concur with the recommendation to visit Petroni - I was there in 2009 for a private tasting and very impressed with the gorgeous mountainside winery and views!

Thanks! We appreciate that!

winetsar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages winetsar

[quote postid="5934525" user="AnthonyDiCarlo"]I don't think there is any nose burn here, really. It's a fun jammy wine; unfiltered and unfined. Great with BBQ or any peasant fare and yes the Alcohol is a bit up but isn't that true of any Sonoma/Napa wine.

Napa/Sonoma's reputation was built on fine cabs and merlots with a smooth luxurious finish. Big Alcohol tends to cut the finish short. Big alcohol came into being to please the younger wine drinkers who were interested in a quick buzz. This nearly ruined the Pinot Noir's. Bring back the elegant wines that made Napa world class. Leave the big alcohol to the Zin drinkers.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

This sounds like something I might like.. The blend sounds interesting......I like big, jammy reds... I was told today that I got the job I applied for.... so should I get this to celebrate?

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:This sounds like something I might like.. The blend sounds interesting......I like big, jammy reds... I was told today that I got the job I applied for.... so should I get this to celebrate?

Congrats!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
winetsar wrote:[quote postid="5934525" user="AnthonyDiCarlo"]I don't think there is any nose burn here, really. It's a fun jammy wine; unfiltered and unfined. Great with BBQ or any peasant fare and yes the Alcohol is a bit up but isn't that true of any Sonoma/Napa wine.

Napa/Sonoma's reputation was built on fine cabs and merlots with a smooth luxurious finish. Big Alcohol tends to cut the finish short. Big alcohol came into being to please the younger wine drinkers who were interested in a quick buzz. This nearly ruined the Pinot Noir's. Bring back the elegant wines that made Napa world class. Leave the big
alcohol to the Zin drinkers.

I take offense to your comment. I love a big zin just as much as a burgundy or Barolo. Please do not be so snobby.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
AnthonyDiCarlo wrote:Well, Anthony is actually off to join in (and enjoy) dinner at the Inn at The Tides in Bodega! They are hosting a Winemaker's Dinner tonight featuring our wines and winemaker - Martin Mackenzie. Yes - they will be serving our Rosso di Sonoma!

I'm jealous! At least I have a few bottles at home that I can enjoy. I will be honest - I have never been a red wine drinker but i do like the
Rosso.

Sabrina

LOVE Bodega Bay! Rented a house two years in a ow back in 2010-11. Peaceful and awesome Pacific Ocean Views by the UC Davis lab. Cheers!

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
losthighwayz wrote:I take offense to your comment. I love a big zin just as much as a burgundy or Barolo. Please do not be so snobby.

Agreed...well I do like a good barolo better, that being said and interesting thread I recently read. A winemaker from Somoma/Napa did some lab tests on old Napa/Somoma wines to determime ABV levels from some wines from the 50's and 60's. Most were much higher than stated on the labels, I don't remember them all but one that stood out was a Ingelnook cab from 1958, the ABV on the label was 13.1 iirc and the lab test said 14.6 and many were n te mid 14's even tho they all claimed to be less than 14. My point is I think the weather has not changed that much and neither has what people claim their ABV is in California. Drink what you like

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

AnthonyDiCarlo

I only have "on thing to say for myself" "Thanks' to all of you for your purchases and your comments - that is what makes a great community!

And one day I hope to shake your hand a Petroni Vineyards in Sonoma.
Anthony

rpm

tytiger58 wrote:Agreed...well I do like a good barolo better, that being said and interesting thread I recently read. A winemaker from Somoma/Napa did some lab tests on old Napa/Somoma wines to determime ABV levels from some wines from the 50's and 60's. Most were much higher than stated on the labels, I don't remember them all but one that stood out was a Ingelnook cab from 1958, the ABV on the label was 13.1 iirc and the lab test said 14.6 and many were n te mid 14's even tho they all claimed to be less than 14. My point is I think the weather has not changed that much and neither has what people claim their ABV is in California. Drink what you like

I remember the '58 Inglenook Cask and there is no way it was 14.6% ABV. There is no question a lot of those wines were >13% ABV when they said 12.5% ABV, but everything wasn't above 14 in the day. For one thing, grapes were harvested at much lower sugars than they are now 22.5-24 Brix was typical for Cabernet, not the 26-28 so common today. For another, the style of the wines was very different - winemakers were looking for bright fruit, not jam.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

snots

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snots

Opened 2 of the 8 bottles I bought. Both had considerable residue. Not sure if it impacted the taste as this was my first Petroni. But between the residue and taste, this was not a good purchase for me