Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Please note: This thread is about paying respects. Pure and simple. If this isn't appropriate for woot, then please mods, feel free to remove it.

Robin Williams was found dead at the age of 63. The few details known can be found at the link.

Maybe it's just me, but this was a huge blow. Robin Williams was the very first actor I recognized by name growing up. He was my s-mom's favorite actor/comedian. His movies and comedies were such a major impact in our lives that the first thing I first thought of when I read about this was how devestated my s-mom would be. Then I remembered that she had passed away six years ago x.x

Some of my favorite movies from him were Mrs. Doubtfire (the first that brought him to my attention), One Hour Photo (the first that showed me how well he could cover the spectrum of genres), Good Morning Vietnam, The Fisher King, The Birdcage, Dead Poet's Society, Moscow on the Hudson... so many others. So many memories. So many movies my family and I were able to connect through.

R.I.P. Mr. Williams, whatever the afterlife might hold for you.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Robin Williams was a great actor.
He will be missed.
R.I.P., Robin.

Nitetigrezz

special72

quality posts: 4 Private Messages special72

Thank you, Nitetigrezz, for starting this thread.

Robin Williams' death really hit me hard. I loved his movies growing up (well, except for RV). Jack was one of the first movies I saw in the theater, and I chain watched Hook when we got it on VHS. I wanted so badly for Jumanji to be real, and Patch Adams was one of the first movies that *almost* made me cry. There were the obvious classics like Mrs. Doubtfire, and Good Will Hunting. And he was sooo creepy in One Hour Photo and the Law & Order episode about Milgram's experiments.

Overall, I'm just really sad. Sad for his family and loved ones. Sad that depression and suicide prevailed this time.

Going to watch Jumanji with my son tonight and enjoy every minute of it.

bullrocky

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bullrocky

a rare talent, both in comedy, and drama.....i really loved his routine on the Scottish, and golf....funny funny man.....
gone but not forgotten......RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

Nitetigrezz

You guys are awesome people. Thank you so much for sharing.

I came across this while reminiscing. I warn you now, make sure you have some tissues handy. He always seemed at his most compassionate, at his most ~alive~ when doing something that would directly affect children.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

hot72chev

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hot72chev

I agree, this is huge. I am stunned and so sad. Many of us,just regular folks on the street, have been touched by suicide of a loved one. It's something we don't talk about a lot, but maybe we should. It's so hard to wrap your mind around.

My grandfather took his life when I was 2 years old, and my family has never gotten over it. 45 years later my grandmother still asks me "why, why did he do it?"

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

Nitetigrezz

hot72chev wrote:I agree, this is huge. I am stunned and so sad. Many of us,just regular folks on the street, have been touched by suicide of a loved one. It's something we don't talk about a lot, but maybe we should. It's so hard to wrap your mind around.

My grandfather took his life when I was 2 years old, and my family has never gotten over it. 45 years later my grandmother still asks me "why, why did he do it?"

I'm so sorry you and yours had to go through that v.v My ma's family decided to never tell my grandmother how my aunt passed away, worried that she wouldn't be able to handle it. To this day we don't know if it was right for her to go to the grave believing a lie, but at the same time there was a comfort knowing that it was one less bit of weight for her to bare when she passed away this year.

Ngo's reaction to how Mr. Williams most likely passed away was what I wasn't willing to voice. That it was selfish and cruel. Yet when I explained to him the Cracked article I read about comedians and depression, I think it helped him be more empathetic. Already some media and groups are using it as an excellent opportunity to reach out to people about suicide prevention and how to get help. If just a single life can be saved through this, well, I kind of imagine it's what he would have wanted, wherever he is now.

hot72chev

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hot72chev

I just hope he is finally free from his unimaginable pain; and you are right, if one life can be saved from the discussions that begin today ...well, that's a good thing.

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Another great actor died today.
Lauren Becall, one of the greatest actresses there was.

RIP

Nitetigrezz

daveinwarshington wrote:Another great actor died today.
Lauren Becall, one of the greatest actresses there was.

RIP

For those who might not recognize the name. That's heartbreaking >.< She always seemed like one of those timeless actresses who would just have to smile at Death to make him give her more years. It's warming to know though that she seems to have lived such a full life.

R.I.P. Ms. Bacall.

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138
Nitetigrezz wrote:For those who might not recognize the name. That's heartbreaking >.< She always seemed like one of those timeless actresses who would just have to smile at Death to make him give her more years. It's warming to know though that she seems to have lived such a full life.

R.I.P. Ms. Bacall.

"Just put your lips together and blow"

Nitetigrezz

A bit of news that might help answer a lot of questions.

It's hard enough to cope with depression, especially to the degree most comedians suffer through. Yet combine a history of depression with a disease that has no known cure, and it's a recipe for a truly dark place to be.

However, considering one of his 'long time pals' was very open of his own diagnoses of Parkinson's, there's a theory being bounced around by some that Mr. Williams' suicide might have been a result of the medication he had to take to treat the disease.