Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1695 Private Messages Cesare

Private Preserve Wine Preserver 4-Pack
Sold by: Wine Country Accessories
$27.99 $45.99 39% off List Price
(4) Private Preserve Wine Preserver, Net content: 0.29 oz.

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

I use this product regularly with good results. A bottle typically last me a couple months. This is a good price and worth the money, especially if you tend not to finish your bottles off. Even a half empty bottle should get 3 to 4 days after gassing. If you pour into a split and gas it's more like a week.

djcubinlinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djcubinlinx

What's the gas used in the can? Nitrogen? Argon?

sealag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sealag
djcubinlinx wrote:What's the gas used in the can? Nitrogen? Argon?

According to Amazon reviewer:
I'm a former chemist who used to work with inert atmospheres, so I'm familiar with the approach of blanketing something under an inert atmosphere. In this case, the atmosphere is nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and argon. This isn't quite "inert" in every sense, since carbon dioxide can dissolve in water and react, but nevertheless this works. Wine tasting rooms have known about this stuff for years, and it's great to have it for the home. The can always feels empty since it's packed with gas, so you never will know when you're about to run out. I also use this as a food preservative for anything that will turn brown when exposed to atmospheric oxygen. So far I've tried it with guacamole and pesto and it works great. Just give a 2 second burst of gas into the container and seal. Pesto stays bright green and fresh for days. I have a can on the kitchen counter at all times.

All who wander are not lost.

blipper67

quality posts: 8 Private Messages blipper67

Good price with many uses like putting a layer of inert gas over tung oil varnishes for the wood workers out there. Am a winemaker and occasional wine drinker so this really comes in handy. Been using it for years.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

Let's see…spend big bucks on gas to spray into a big bottle or buy some mason jars at the dollar store and buy more wine with the money..decisions decisions

pfffft!

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Top Coupon
Woot CouponUnique Coupon for $10 off $25 at Woot
Store: Amazon Local
Price: Free
Lowest by: $10
Expires: 21 at 3 am ET
Do You Need It?: If the low prices at Woot wern't quite low enough to tempt you into making a purchase, then this Amazon Local coupon will cut an additional $10 off all orders over $25. That ties our March mention and remains the best dollar-off coupon we've ever seen for Woot, yielding many all-time lows at the store. (Note that a credit card is required to complete the transaction, but you won't be charged. The coupon will be added to the "My Vouchers" page of your Amazon Local account. Limit one per customer.)
http://local.amazon.com/national/B00MER1R2W

[MOD: Note that it's not valid for items bought on Wine.Woot.]

jrb11

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrb11
andrewtl wrote:Let's see…spend big bucks on gas to spray into a big bottle or buy some mason jars at the dollar store and buy more wine with the money..decisions decisions

Pretty sure that's not the same thing... even with the mason jars being air tight, the wine has come into contact with oxygen and you are now trapping the oxygen in with the wine... if I understand how this product works correctly, this gas is heavier than oxygen so creates a blanket effect (as mentioned in the above comments)separating the wine from the contact with most of the oxygen.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am confident in saying that this product is much better than (and definitely not the same) as using a mason jar.

With that said, I'm in for one and possibly another as a gift!

CT

giantswede

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giantswede

I sometimes don't finish off my whole box of wine in one sitting. Will this work on that too?

NightGhost

quality posts: 1908 Private Messages NightGhost
andrewtl wrote:Let's see…spend big bucks on gas to spray into a big bottle or buy some mason jars at the dollar store and buy more wine with the money..decisions decisions

Big bucks? This can pay for itself on one bottle of Black Tie wine, and you'll have hundreds of uses left.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
NightGhost wrote:Big bucks? This can pay for itself on one bottle of Black Tie wine, and you'll have hundreds of uses left.

He's putting wine in mason jars. Do you really think he's getting Black-tie buys?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
giantswede wrote:I sometimes don't finish off my whole box of wine in one sitting. Will this work on that too?

You wouldn't need to. The boxed wine is usually in a bag in the inside of the box that is airtight.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:He's putting wine in mason jars. Do you really think he's getting Black-tie buys?

Maybe it's those fancy redneck ones with the handles. If that's the case then anything above jug wine is a black tie wine.

CT

mjgraves

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjgraves

I first encountered Private Preserve a few years ago while touring Napa. I was at the Nicholson Ranch tasting room just as a tour busload of people were leaving. The staff were gassing all the unfinished bottles in order to keep them for later use.

I've used it ever since, but it's usually only found at better wine stores and specialty cooking places like Sur La Table.

Michael Graves
Blog.mgraves.org
mgraves (at) mstvp.com
sip:mgraves@mjg.onsip.com
skype mjgraves

slephoto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto

I'm a wine salesman and I use this all the time for bottles that have screwcaps or artificial corks (I use a Coravin with standard corks) to preserve/stretch my sample bottles between customers. This stuff works really well and I would love a good deal... but it retails at wine shops locally for $7.99, some places at $8.99 tops. So once I pay shipping I'm not saving anything. Not sure where the suggested price is coming from, but it's not reflective of either of the states where I work. It's a shame, I'd love a good price break on it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
slephoto wrote:I'm a wine salesman and I use this all the time for bottles that have screwcaps or artificial corks (I use a Coravin with standard corks) to preserve/stretch my sample bottles between customers. This stuff works really well and I would love a good deal... but it retails at wine shops locally for $7.99, some places at $8.99 tops. So once I pay shipping I'm not saving anything. Not sure where the suggested price is coming from, but it's not reflective of either of the states where I work. It's a shame, I'd love a good price break on it.

Beware of that Coravin, they were recalled last month for shattering bottles of wine in people's faces.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

IamPopeye

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IamPopeye

Hmmm, maybe just walk out to my TIG and use the torch to drop pure argon in my bottles.

Nah, just buck up and finish the bottle. I didn't want to walk out to the shop anyway!

:-P

arieltf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arieltf

Is this better than the Vacu-vin Wine Saver (http://www.vacuvin.com/Wine-Saver)?

How about using it in conjunction with it? Spray the preserver in the bottle and then cork it with the Vacu-vin cork and evacuate it.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Beware of that Coravin, they were recalled last month for shattering bottles of wine in people's faces.

Kind of. And they sent out wet suits for your wine bottles to fix the issue.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mkorona

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mkorona

Was rated as the best product by The Sweethome

I picked up a can for around $9 at my wine store after the review but haven't used it yet

shardx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shardx

Air in a can? For 27.99? I must have some!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Just ordered two of these yesterday from Amazon, $9.11 each (I have free Prime shipping). These are $8.25 each, so not much savings. Still, in for one 4-pack.

Last wooter to woot:bolligra

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 31 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Better idea:
Just spray WD40 into the wine bottle. It'll stay fresh for months...
It may flavor the wine a bit, but you can also spray those squeaking hinges.

kvs2000

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kvs2000

I don't understand? There is wine left in the Bottle??? when has that ever happened?

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
daveinwarshington wrote:Better idea:
Just spray WD40 into the wine bottle. It'll stay fresh for months...
It may flavor the wine a bit, but you can also spray those squeaking hinges.

Isn't that how they make Used Automobile Parts Red Wine?

DNA1960

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DNA1960
giantswede wrote:I sometimes don't finish off my whole box of wine in one sitting. Will this work on that too?

Most box wines are air tight due to having a sealed bag on the inside. Most box wines will last for a month. I hope this is helpful.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
kvs2000 wrote:I don't understand? There is wine left in the Bottle??? when has that ever happened?

3rd bottle problems...

I use this stuff on the rare occasion when a bottle is not finished. Good to know that it can preserve food, as well. I would have never guessed that use, but it makes sense.