3 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Hills, Lake County
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
6/20/14

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

It's nice to see these older vintages. Did anyone try the early burg from the last time it was offered?

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1698 Private Messages Cesare
cortot20 wrote:It's nice to see these older vintages. Did anyone try the early burg from the last time it was offered?

I thought about it Monday night but went with something else. Dammit.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

We had some from the previous order. We popped it open as it was the only easy drinking red that I was very confident in terms of quality. It was extremely easy drinking, smooth. It was pale in color and had some predominant cherry flavor. I would buy this set if it wasnt for the fact that I'm going out of town for a while. This was the early burgundy we had, not the cab

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian
cortot20 wrote:It's nice to see these older vintages. Did anyone try the early burg from the last time it was offered?

I am reordering. I have one bottle of each left. They are both very subtle wines. Could be overpowered by intense food. They are really wonderful though. Kudos to Scott.

Sorry, I didn't take any notes. If you want fresh from the palette notes, let me know which you want me to open.

tpriesmeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpriesmeyer

Been to Napa, Chile and France for wines and have never come across "Early Burgundy." Any help?

kldavis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kldavis
tpriesmeyer wrote:Been to Napa, Chile and France for wines and have never come across "Early Burgundy." Any help?

Appears to be a name for the Abouriou grape when grown in California.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian
tpriesmeyer wrote:Been to Napa, Chile and France for wines and have never come across "Early Burgundy." Any help?

Abouriou is the French name for what is sometimes called Early Burgundy. I had never heard of it before the initial offering.

svwindom

quality posts: 12 Private Messages svwindom

Huh. Last Friday I finally unpacked my box of this from the last offer, and one of the bottles had leaked through the cork and into the packing. I contacted Woot support and they replied last night saying they no longer have the replacement order available...and here it is on Woot.

Anyway, I haven't tasted it yet, but one of my bottles is damaged.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

svwindom wrote:Huh. Last Friday I finally unpacked my box of this from the last offer, and one of the bottles had leaked through the cork and into the packing. I contacted Woot support and they replied last night saying they no longer have the replacement order available...and here it is on Woot.

Anyway, I haven't tasted it yet, but one of my bottles is damaged.

this must have been the first iteration of the scott harvey deal. one bottle did sell out. i bet that is what happenned.

svwindom

quality posts: 12 Private Messages svwindom
Winedavid39 wrote:this must have been the first iteration of the scott harvey deal. one bottle did sell out. i bet that is what happenned.

No, it was the Remix - I was too late for the first. I imagine it's just that one hand isn't talking to the other. I would ideally like a replacement bottle of the Lake Country Cabernet Sauvignon to magically appear in place of the leaky one, but I know that's not possible, and I am not really inclined to go to the trouble of trying to send a bottle back via FedEx.

cormelon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cormelon

Thought about buying this until my last order was delivered just minutes ago by FedEx. Thought it felt too warm...put the infrared thermometer on it and it read 84F! Think I'll pass till summer's over.

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

Never met a Scott Harvey or Jana label wine I did not like - a lot. Grabbed two of these. That plus the case of wine from the 10th Anniversary Celebration sale puts me just shy of two cases of Scott this month!

I gotta stop. I gotta stop. I gotta stop.

Regards,

Greg

jrb11

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jrb11

Two different negative comments about shipping... is there reason to be concerned Woot??

CT

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia

Reporting for duty...I just popped a bottle of the Early Burgundy from the June offering so I could provide comments.

It needs to warm a little more, I had stored it in the fridge and didn't know I'd want to open it for this.

That said, I can't really improve on Scott's description of this wine. The nose is really great...red fruit and a bit of floral and spice. He describes it as Pinot Noir like in structure, and I agree with that...but don't confuse that with flavor. Doesn't taste like a pinot.

I'm not sure I've ever identified 'cola' in a wine before, but that's one of the dominant flavors I get. I also get some sweet red fruits...but with a fleshy and creamy feel. Distinct floral finish after the cola that lingers on the palate.

Very light. Good for summer. I don't taste any reason to hold it...seems pretty straight forward and simple.

I'm very glad I purchased so that I could try the grape and get Scott Harvey's take on it. It's not necessarily a do-over for me. If you're interested in trying it and didn't buy in June...I'd recommend you buy. It's a solid QPR.

enigmaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmaos
cormelon wrote:Thought about buying this until my last order was delivered just minutes ago by FedEx. Thought it felt too warm...put the infrared thermometer on it and it read 84F! Think I'll pass till summer's over.

Which state?

enigmaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmaos
jrb11 wrote:Two different negative comments about shipping... is there reason to be concerned Woot??

Off topic: Doesn't the summer shipping rate expedite shipping process?

vtstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vtstan
enigmaos wrote:Off topic: Doesn't the summer shipping rate expedite shipping process?

The summer time shipping process used to actually it down because the wine was shipped a good part of the way in refrigerated trucks and then passed onto FedEx at a locations closer to the delivery point. At least that's how I remember it working.

jcassens5

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jcassens5

SOLD

I don't have time to give a detailed review, but after trying the 2006 cab from last round, this is a steal regardless if the Burg sucks (which is doubtful).

cormelon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cormelon
enigmaos wrote:Which state?

Colorado...

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

WD...

.NOT. .BEFORE. .THE. .TOUR.

I'm trying to collect deposits,
and you're not helping, at all.

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
vtstan wrote:The summer time shipping process used to actually it down because the wine was shipped a good part of the way in refrigerated trucks and then passed onto FedEx at a locations closer to the delivery point. At least that's how I remember it working.

Yep, not necessarily expedite but it does provide refrigerated shipping to a closer delivery point..as I know it to be. Woot is not the only one to use this method, and your tracking will look kind of crazy. You don't see the normal tracking because the beginning of the trek is not FedEx or UPS but a contractor who delivers to hub. The final journey is not refrigerated but it is a short journey. I'm still not convinced this is foolproof, as those last 24 hours can be iffy.

shahnm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages shahnm
jrb11 wrote:Two different negative comments about shipping... is there reason to be concerned Woot??

I had a couple of bottles of a different wine order turn out to be bad (vinegar bad). This happened once or twice in the past, and woot refunded the purchase. I contacted woot this time, and got a meaningless answer about shipping back the defective product...

I'm not sure if I got a clueless CSR this time around, or if woot really is in the process of giving up on customer service. I stopped buying wine from woot for a while, but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. If I get shafted again, I'll be out for good. Plenty of other places to buy wine these days.