The Wine Check and Wine Diaper Travel Kit
$69.99 $110.00 36% off List Price
The Wine Check with Shipper Insert
Wine Diaper, Blue 4-Pack

The Wine Check

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

Just in time for the RPM tour....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Just the Wine Check sells for $75. There was a 20% off deal in January so $60.

Everyone on another board (wine berserkers where the aforementioned sale was) loves these. Todd, owner of both, seems like a good dude. I have zero interest in the diapers but I do want a wine check.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

imsochady

quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady

I've never heard of wine diapers before haha

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Just the Wine Check sells for $75. There was a 20% off deal in January so $60.

Everyone on another board (wine berserkers where the aforementioned sale was) loves these. Todd, owner of both, seems like a good dude. I have zero interest in the diapers but I do want a wine check.

I never leave home without one! Your welcome

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Souka

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Souka
tytiger58 wrote:I never leave home without one! Your welcome

I just came back from Costa Rica and used 6 wine diapers in my luggage. No need for a fancy roller box that I have to check, I just put my clothes around the diapers for added protection.

Not for wine, but for some duty free booze and salsa I picked up.

Go get wine diapers.. it's all you really need

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

And so when one travels internationally with a case of wine, say from Italy to the US, I presume you have to declare it upon landing in the US and pay duty?

pfffft!

rickhull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickhull
andrewtl wrote:And so when one travels internationally with a case of wine, say from Italy to the US, I presume you have to declare it upon landing in the US and pay duty?

Yes, but that's not as bad as it sounds. The US Duty fees are quite low (typically $1-2/liter), so maybe $10-15 for a case of wine.

Better news: The effort it takes the customs officials to fill out all the paperwork isn't worth the small fee they would collect so typically if you are bringing back a case of two of wine, you can declare it, and they'll just wave you through and not bother with the hassle. We brought a case back from France last year, correctly declared it, and the customs official said "enjoy your wine!" and sent us on our way.

Results may vary, past performance does not necessarily predict future results, etc.

davedoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davedoy

So by now every baggage handler knows the look and logo of these things and can steal a bottle or two. You probably won't even know it when you grab it off the carousel.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl
rickhull wrote:Yes, but that's not as bad as it sounds. The US Duty fees are quite low (typically $1-2/liter), so maybe $10-15 for a case of wine.

Better news: The effort it takes the customs officials to fill out all the paperwork isn't worth the small fee they would collect so typically if you are bringing back a case of two of wine, you can declare it, and they'll just wave you through and not bother with the hassle. We brought a case back from France last year, correctly declared it, and the customs official said "enjoy your wine!" and sent us on our way.

Results may vary, past performance does not necessarily predict future results, etc.

good to know thanks!

pfffft!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
davedoy wrote:So by now every baggage handler knows the look and logo of these things and can steal a bottle or two. You probably won't even know it when you grab it off the carousel.

I travel with styro shippers a lot, and declare them as wine and fragile when checking them in. They plaster fragile stickers with wine glasses on them all over the box. Never lost a bottle, so I doubt not a problem with these either.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

I've had my Wine check for 4 years & it's made 15+ trips back & forth from SFO to CRP. It's great for bringing home bottles during the summer heat when you don't want to wait until November to get those special bottles.

We also use it in the car while we're visiting wineries. Freeze a bottle or two of water and use it as a cooler during the day.

Depending upon our flight options, sometimes we carry it out collapsed in a carry on duffle bag & pick up the shipper case at a winery. Other times we carry it out empty (with the shipper in it) and put toys etc for the grand babies in it.

It's held up very well & we always get lots of questions from fellow winos @ SFO. It's easier for me (50 something gal) to lug around than a standard styro shipper case. The handles and wheels are very durable, and the adjustable strap is long enough for my short arms. It takes a little practice starting & stopping pulling it on the wheels (the center of gravity of the case of wine is low to the ground), but much better than having to get a cart or pick it to carry it.

I cannot recommend it highly enough!

And no ... I have NO connection or financial interest in The Wine Check & I have no idea who the owners are. We bought ours at one of the wine stores in Napa in 2010.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
rickhull wrote:Yes, but that's not as bad as it sounds. The US Duty fees are quite low (typically $1-2/liter), so maybe $10-15 for a case of wine.

Same thing happen to me coming back from Belgium. I do have the diapers and use them whenever I travel to bring home beer/wine.

dantudor@tudorwines.com

quality posts: 44 Private Messages dantudor@tudorwines.com

Dan Tudor, Winemaker from Tudor Wines here, I have two of these and I take at least one full of wine everywhere I go. This product is terrific! For international travel it's particularly handy in case you want to stroll past customs following the Green Line with an oblivious look on your face. ;)

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
imsochady wrote:I've never heard of wine diapers before haha

You must be new 'round these parts! Wine diapers/jet bags are old news here on w.woot. You've missed many a fascinating debate. People who never leave home w/o them versus people who think plastic bags/dirty laundry work just as well. Good times.

This case thing is new to me, though. Interesting...

teutonictrio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teutonictrio

Hey folks! Happy to see all these comments, as we don't often get to read experiences like what I see here. Amazing that one of you has one of the VERY first ones, and that those externally-mounted wheels still are attached. We re-designed it to have the semi-recessed wheels, and some 25,000 Wine Checks later...not a single wheel has been ripped off by the airline industry!

I love the diapers as a combo, and told Max at Wine.Woot that it was a good mix because even I still travel once in a while with a bottle or two in my luggage. MOST of the time, you should travel with a full case, but sometimes...a couple bottles in luggage is ok ;)

I'm here for questions if anyone needs answers!

Todd French - co-founder, The Wine Check

Todd French
Co-Founder, The Wine Check
Head Babysitter/Founder, WineBerserkers

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

The good thing about the wine diapers is if the bottle breaks, the wine and glass are contained. When friends visit from out of town, I send them off with a bottle or two all diapered up. No wet and stained clothing in your luggage. Just wrapping the bottle in clothing is a risk. I also use the wine diaper when taking a bottle or two in my car to a dinner or holiday party. You never know when you might drop one on the driveway!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

teutonictrio

FYI, the wine diapers are good to use IN a Wine Check, if you fly Southwest out of Denver, as we've heard from two customers who were forced to buy wineskin-type bags for each bottle, even though they aren't designed to really hold any liquid, should breakage occur. Never have any issues at any other airline, in any location. In fact...I might have to get some wine diapers!

Todd French

dmatich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmatich

Todd,

I already have 2 wine checks and love them. Are the diapers also from your company and are they available separately?

teutonictrio

dmatich wrote:Todd,

I already have 2 wine checks and love them. Are the diapers also from your company and are they available separately?

Not from us, no - winewoot wanted to kit them together, as it is a good fit. I like them, and need to get some for my own travels, though!

Todd French

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
andrewtl wrote:And so when one travels internationally with a case of wine, say from Italy to the US, I presume you have to declare it upon landing in the US and pay duty?

YMMV. I brought half a case home from Italy a few weeks ago. I mentioned it at DTW customs and the officer remarked, "that's not alcohol" and passed me through.

teutonictrio

oppsie wrote:YMMV. I brought half a case home from Italy a few weeks ago. I mentioned it at DTW customs and the officer remarked, "that's not alcohol" and passed me through.

Declare it to be safe. Normally they don't worry at all about wine, ever, but if they do, the duty to pay is truly insignificant - a couple dollars for a case, typically.

Todd French

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
teutonictrio wrote:Hey folks! Happy to see all these comments, as we don't often get to read experiences like what I see here. Amazing that one of you has one of the VERY first ones, and that those externally-mounted wheels still are attached. We re-designed it to have the semi-recessed wheels, and some 25,000 Wine Checks later...not a single wheel has been ripped off by the airline industry!

I love the diapers as a combo, and told Max at Wine.Woot that it was a good mix because even I still travel once in a while with a bottle or two in my luggage. MOST of the time, you should travel with a full case, but sometimes...a couple bottles in luggage is ok ;)

I'm here for questions if anyone needs answers!

Todd French - co-founder, The Wine Check

1. Question for the Woot viscounts:

Can we be assured to receive this before the RPM tour?

2. Question for Todd French: Any chance we can have the option of the black and the little logo? The red and that giant logo brings a bit more attention to what is in my luggage than I would like.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

I usually just travel with wine in a woot! summer shipping box (those styrofoam inserts, they may outlast our species but gorramit if they aren't lifesavers), so yeah, I think I'll pass on this one. Looks cool, though.

teutonictrio

time2testit wrote:Question for the Woot viscounts:

Can we be assured to receive this before the RPM tour?

(And I wish we had the option of the black and the little logo since the red and that giant logo brings a bit more attention to what is in my luggage than I would like.)

If you are smart enough to travel with wine, brag about it!

To date, not a single theft has been reported to us of any bottles within. I don't think baggage handlers are hoping to steal a bottle of wine - if they are going to risk their jobs, I'd assume they'd go for electronics or jewelry, not a bottle of wine, and the only people who know how to identify a Wine Check, and assume there are goodies inside, would also recognize a shipper box, as it has such a unique shape.

Be proud you are smart enough to travel with wine!

Todd French

teutonictrio

greyday wrote:I usually just travel with wine in a woot! summer shipping box (those styrofoam inserts, they may outlast our species but gorramit if they aren't lifesavers), so yeah, I think I'll pass on this one. Looks cool, though.

just fyi, if you travel with a cardboard box, you have to sign a waiver because it is not 'luggage', which is why we just put the luggage around the shipper box! Wheels, handles, and a pull strap make it much, much easier to travel with as well, rather than making a handle out of tape or rope. Also, be hopeful it is not wet out on the tarmac, or the box will tear quickly, and the contents are at risk if the cardboard gives way and the Styro inserts fall out...

Todd French

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

teutonictrio wrote:If you are smart enough to travel with wine, brag about it!

To date, not a single theft has been reported to us of any bottles within. I don't think baggage handlers are hoping to steal a bottle of wine - if they are going to risk their jobs, I'd assume they'd go for electronics or jewelry, not a bottle of wine, and the only people who know how to identify a Wine Check, and assume there are goodies inside, would also recognize a shipper box, as it has such a unique shape.

Be proud you are smart enough to travel with wine!

Thanks for jumping in Todd. Great to work with you.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM
teutonictrio wrote:

As a frequent Wine Check user, I would add that to get a bottle of wine out of it, you would have to unzip the entire case, open the box, pull off the styro case insert. It wouldn't be an easy target for a "quick slip" theft. Now, if I were a baggage handler and saw one of these go through, I might be tempted to lift the whole case ..... But I don't think it would fit in my lunch bucket ....

Glad to know some of you have used one internationally. We're planning a trip to Italy and were debating on whether we should take it or not. Looks like it's a Go!

Thanks again for seeing a genuine need and filling it. Cheers!

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

teutonictrio

StarM wrote:
Thanks again for seeing a genuine need and filling it. Cheers!

To that credit goes Shawnda (my business partner in The Wine Check), who came up with the original concept, truly seeing a need and finding a way to fill it!

Todd French

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

totally ignore this.