Uvada Napa Valley Merlot 6-Pack
$69.99 $198.00 65% off List Price
2003 Uvada Merlot, Napa Valley
CT link above

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Something we should know, RJ? On a side note, the name and label are terrible. Awful.

"The older I get the better I was"

shahnm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages shahnm

I was going to move along after first glance, but then I read this: "84% percent Merlot from Andy Beckstoffer's "Vineyard X""

It seems that this is perhaps something to consider a bit more seriously. I don't drink much merlot, but this seems like a great price on something with Beckstoffer's grapes.

I'll sleep on it, but my spidey senses are tingling...

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

2003 Uvada Merlot
Natural cork in perfect condition. Only 2~3 mm of penetration, but with hard dark granules on the inner surface. Clear ruby, with slight bricking, in color; neck sediment.
Yes, it's aged; stand it up for a few days and/or decant.

Upon opening and initial pour at a cool cellar temperature, rich dark berry fruit and cassis. As it is allowed to warm, the fruit evolves into more of an 'aged wine' aroma; not the leather associated with a CS, just a wine with bottle age.

Very smooth entry showing diminished fruit but well balanced with resolved tannins and enough acid to stand up to not heavy, but medium foods, cheeses, charcuterie, or on it's own.

A pleasant lingering finish.

I've been sipping on this the past few days, and it's held up well under Ar in the fridge.
I was rather wondering if/when it would make it's appearance.

This reminds me somewhat of the 2001 Ty Caton merlot that was found at the 2012 rpm/ww tour Wednesday gathering at the WineFarm digs; one of my first encounters with an aged merlot I really enjoyed.
This is drinking well now. Invite your wineaux over for a taste.

[edit] looking at the specs, nice pedigree for the fruit too.

CT

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Something we should know, RJ? On a side note, the name and label are terrible. Awful.

Label is actually rather nice. The blue on burgundy printing on the back however is nearly impossible to read.

But remember the Gazzi, or even the Ardente? Good thing we don't drink the label.

This is a great price point for an aged Merlot.
And before you ask, no, I'll not split, but I'll gladly share at a gathering.

CT

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111

But remember the Gazzi, or even the Ardente? Good thing we don't drink the label.

I miss the Gazzi, and I was just thinking about
Ardente.... We need more Ardente!!

This wine deal seems pretty solid. I wouldn't mind grabbing some.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
aequitas111 wrote:But remember the Gazzi, or even the Ardente? Good thing we don't drink the label.

I miss the Gazzi, and I was just thinking about
Ardente.... We need more Ardente!!

This wine deal seems pretty solid. I wouldn't mind grabbing some.

Or the X pinot? Worst label EVER, but a pretty great pinot. For CA.

I went in on this, figured what the hell, at the price if I don't like it it'll make good xmas gifts.

Clagg13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clagg13
rjquillin wrote:

Won't split because you're not buying or because you are buying and want all 6 bottles for yourself?

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111
Clagg13 wrote:Won't split because you're not buying or because you are buying and want all 6 bottles for yourself?

Speed to first woot: 0m 50.449s
First sucker:rjquillin
Last wooter to woot:dmarrazzo
Last purchase:16 minutes ago

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Monkey droppings! Well...kind of...right?

Cheated and did a little research on the wine before drinking. The label notes Oakville, and come to find out (as noted in the description) that the merlot is Beckstoffer fruit. Certainly piqued my curiosity.

No formal notes, was kind of an impulse bottle what with traveling some over the holiday.

So my wife and I and a fellow wine lover opened this up and did a slow decant to get it off the sediment.

Wow, really good. I'm a Bordeaux lover and really enjoy the "aged" and secondary flavors that develop in Bordeaux, and the Uvada reminded me of that. (I'm also one of those that think that old California wine can many times just taste old, tired and fruitless) This has dried cherries and an earthiness that was very nice. Seemed to be all in balance, with enough acidity to carry it through. Had some grilled tenderloins finished with a little truffle butter and was a good match. Pleasant without food as well. Good finish.

My bottle didn't make it several days like rjquillin's did, but made it several hours and was solid the entire time.

My notes are similar to his as well I see, but didn't copy, honest!

This is not a fruit forward plush wine, so if that is what you are looking for you'll be disappointed.

It is however a very nice wine with some fine aged characteristics to it, drinking well right now. I think it'll hold for a bit so I'm in for one at this price to drink over the next year or so. Any other thoughts on longevity for this?

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Good enough for Ron... good enough for me, in for 1 for the wife

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:2003 Uvada Merlot
This reminds me somewhat of the 2001 Ty Caton merlot that was found at the 2012 rpm/ww tour Wednesday gathering at the WineFarm digs; one of my first encounters with an aged merlot I really enjoyed.

Ron we shared that bottle. I recall Ty saying he thought it was over the hill, and you and I both loved it! If this is as good as Ty's aged Merlot, with Beckstoffer fruit to boot, it's a winner!

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

You guys did it to me again...
Uvada Napa Valley Merlot (6)

Speed to First Woot:
0m 50.449s

First Sucker:
rjquillin

Last Wooter to Woot:
mstern20878

Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:Ron we shared that bottle. I recall Ty saying he thought it was over the hill, and you and I both loved it! If this is as good as Ty's aged Merlot, with Beckstoffer fruit to boot, it's a winner!

Yes we did, and I grabbed a 1/2 case of what he had left; still have a few bottles too...

I had absolutely no problem punching that button on this find from WD/Neil.
This is slightly over $14 delivered, and CT pricing is in the mid $20's.

As I recall, the fruit is Ty's was a bit fresher than here, but it's been a while since I pulled a cork on his.
Need to look and see what the AbV was on that as well.

Here I had no idea of the fruit pedigree until well after I'd been drinking this for a few days. While I think there is still life here, I also have to wonder, and would like to have tasted, this earlier in life; just to see how it is aging.

Perhaps an aged Merlot tasting is in the future.

CT

NovaWines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NovaWines

We're the makers of the wine. The Merlot comes out of Beckstoffers vineyard X. We been lucky enough to get a portion of this vineyard now for about a decade and the Merlot has always been top notch. Years ago when we first tasted it we realized we had to create a product to showcase this Merlot, so we created this label for that reason.

rjquillin

NovaWines wrote:We're the makers of the wine. The Merlot comes out of Beckstoffers vineyard X. We been lucky enough to get a portion of this vineyard now for about a decade and the Merlot has always been top notch. Years ago when we first tasted it we realized we had to create a product to showcase this Merlot, so we created this label for that reason.

Thanks for making this available to our community and joining in.

Any other tidbits you can convey about this?
How does Nova and Marilyn Wines fit into the picture?

CT

NovaWines

rjquillin wrote:Thanks for making this available to our community and joining in.

Any other tidbits you can convey about this?
How does Nova and Marilyn Wines fit into the picture?

Nova is the parent company name and we are also the makers of Marilyn Merlot wines. We've always struggled with convincing people there is really good wine in the Marilyn bottle and it is not just about a pretty label. We created this label to showcase the quality of Wine we were making.

NovaWines

shahnm wrote:I was going to move along after first glance, but then I read this: "84% percent Merlot from Andy Beckstoffer's "Vineyard X""

It seems that this is perhaps something to consider a bit more seriously. I don't drink much merlot, but this seems like a great price on something with Beckstoffer's grapes.

I'll sleep on it, but my spidey senses are tingling...

We worked with Andy Beckstoffer for decades now and he's a great farmer. Between him and the terroir of this vineyard, these are by far the best Merlot grapes we've ever had access too.

NovaWines

rjquillin wrote:2003 Uvada Merlot
Natural cork in perfect condition. Only 2~3 mm of penetration, but with hard dark granules on the inner surface. Clear ruby, with slight bricking, in color; neck sediment.
Yes, it's aged; stand it up for a few days and/or decant.

Upon opening and initial pour at a cool cellar temperature, rich dark berry fruit and cassis. As it is allowed to warm, the fruit evolves into more of an 'aged wine' aroma; not the leather associated with a CS, just a wine with bottle age.

Very smooth entry showing diminished fruit but well balanced with resolved tannins and enough acid to stand up to not heavy, but medium foods, cheeses, charcuterie, or on it's own.

A pleasant lingering finish.

I've been sipping on this the past few days, and it's held up well under Ar in the fridge.
I was rather wondering if/when it would make it's appearance.

This is drinking well now. Invite your wineaux over for a taste.

Thanks for the kind words. We've worked hard to make this a great wine.

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Perhaps an aged Merlot tasting is in the future.

The Norcal group did that a while back and had a great time.

NorCal #15 – 23 Mar 2013 Vintage Merlot Night

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Found myself in possession of a bottle of this.

It's a really solid example of a well made american merlot- very well integrated tannins and a nice nose of dark fruit. Not too oaky, not too extracted, with a perceptible but not overly pronounced finish, and balanced acidity. (Lots of sediment in the bottle, so I'm guessing we lost some tartaric acid over the years)

Outside of Bordeaux's I just find merlot's to be gigantic teases- the nose and initial hit of fruit just don't carry through the mid palate.

Even though this has 16% CS the Uvada definitely reads as an american merlot.

So while I personally won't be buying a 6 pack, I would have expected this to be nearly twice as expensive. So if you like Merlot, this would be a really solid QPR.

Edit: Just saw RJ's post and I'd say I generally concur, though I did not drink it over days.

NovaWines

mother wrote:Found myself in possession of a bottle of this.

It's a really solid example of a well made american merlot- very well integrated tannins and a nice nose of dark fruit. Not too oaky, not too extracted, with a perceptible but not overly pronounced finish, and balanced acidity. (Lots of sediment in the bottle, so I'm guessing we lost some tartaric acid over the years)

Outside of Bordeaux's I just find merlot's to be gigantic teases- the nose and initial hit of fruit just don't carry through the mid palate.

Even though this has 16% CS the Uvada definitely reads as an american merlot.

So while I personally won't be buying a 6 pack, I would have expected this to be nearly twice as expensive. So if you like Merlot, this would be a really solid QPR.

Edit: Just saw RJ's post and I'd say I generally concur, though I did not drink it over days.

We also love to drink Bordeaux wines, I've been fortune enough to get over there several times in my life and have enjoyed it.

Teefant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teefant
rjquillin wrote:Label is actually rather nice. The blue on burgundy printing on the back however is nearly impossible to read.

This is a great price point for an aged Merlot.

You read my mind about splitting! But I am curious if you will ever drink these since your cellar is REALLY overflowing! Anyway, I went in on one...cannot go wrong on an aged merlot sourced from great vineyard for $14 delivered imo. Thanks for the notes.

edit: this is losthighwayz

NovaWines

I'm also always impressed with the Yount Mill Cabernet vineyard. It has such perfect tannins for a cab not to hard in the mouth.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
NovaWines wrote:We're the makers of the wine. The Merlot comes out of Beckstoffers vineyard X. We been lucky enough to get a portion of this vineyard now for about a decade and the Merlot has always been top notch. Years ago when we first tasted it we realized we had to create a product to showcase this Merlot, so we created this label for that reason.

Can you clarify your statement that you have gotten a portion of this vineyard for ten years? That is, what wines (names, vintage)of yours have been made with some/all grapes from the Beckstoffer vineyard X?

NovaWines

jmdavidson wrote:Can you clarify your statement that you have gotten a portion of this vineyard for ten years? That is, what wines (names, vintage)of yours have been made with some/all grapes from the Beckstoffer vineyard X?

Yes, we only get a portion of the harvest from this vineyard each year as another winery, I don't know who, gets the rest. Harvest for vineyard is generally measured in tons per acre. And we are a small winery so we can't limited in our production abilities.
We used the grapes in our Marilyn Merlot product also. And for the last few years we put it all in the Marilyn Merlot.

NovaWines

jmdavidson wrote:Can you clarify your statement that you have gotten a portion of this vineyard for ten years? That is, what wines (names, vintage)of yours have been made with some/all grapes from the Beckstoffer vineyard X?

Yes, we only get a portion of the harvest from this vineyard each year as another winery, I don't know who, gets the rest. Harvest for vineyard is generally measured in tons per acre. And we are a small winery so we can't limited in our production abilities. Beckstoffer owns and farms the vineyard and we buy the grapes from him.

So we made Uvada with them from harvest years 2000-2003.

And from 2004 harvest on we've put it all in the Marilyn Merlot Products.

shahnm

I'm in FL, and the weather has been crazy hot for wine delivery. Will you hold on shipping until the fall, or take precautions to make sure it gets here ok?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

shahnm wrote:I'm in FL, and the weather has been crazy hot for wine delivery. Will you hold on shipping until the fall, or take precautions to make sure it gets here ok?

we are shipping most of Florida two day air (as part of the summer shipping service built into the $3.00 extra)

shahnm

Winedavid39 wrote:we are shipping most of Florida two day air (as part of the summer shipping service built into the $3.00 extra)

Huh. I paid the extra $2 for "expedited" shipping. Should I not have bothered?

I know, I know - caveat emptor...

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

shahnm wrote:Huh. I paid the extra $2 for "expedited" shipping. Should I not have bothered?

I know, I know - caveat emptor...

the "two day" still moves on the slow boat reefer truck then hits the two day. so it's different.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Was very excited about this and ready to buy one or two and then complete buzz kill - no Louisiana! At least I have a Birthday of Celebrations on the way. . .

rjquillin

sphervey wrote:Was very excited about this and ready to buy one or two and then complete buzz kill - no Louisiana! At least I have a Birthday of Celebrations on the way. . .

Perhaps the winery could make an accommodation?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT