Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
InFrom wrote:Agree w/ ddeuddeg, I think this was mother's point -- that if he had played in a big-media town like a certain shortstop we were just discussing, the tributes last night would have been non-stop.



That isn't true either or they would have had a tribute to Don Zimmer as well (another huge oversight).


mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Imagine4vr wrote:That isn't true either or they would have had a tribute to Don Zimmer as well (another huge oversight).



Then that leads to a the observation that death is depressing, so perhaps MLB doesn't like to make a big deal about it?

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:Then that leads to a the observation that death is depressing, so perhaps MLB doesn't like to make a big deal about it?


That is so wrong to me. They really should try to acknowledge the greats that passed in the previous year. Maybe all the HOF members or some objective criteria for "great". But to the casual fan like me, I am not aware of all the players that have passed. Names that I remember growing up with, etc.

Personally, I was excited when I saw a replay of Rod Carew throwing out the first pitch. I grew up with the Twins, so he was one of my baseball heroes.


Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:Personally, I was excited when I saw a replay of Rod Carew throwing out the first pitch. I grew up with the Twins, so he was one of my baseball heroes.

He still has a pretty good arm, doesn't he, even though he's older than I am. I didn't grow up with the Twins, but he was still one of my baseball heroes. One of the benefits of growing up as a pure baseball fan first and foremost, is the ability to enjoy greatness like that of Rod Carew or Tony Gwynn, regardless of what uniform they wore.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
mother wrote:To be exceptionally clear, I meant absolutely no disrespect to Tony Gwynn.

Nor did I really think so.
It's what I get when skimming.
And hopefully some day we'll meet, I've just not been around long enough..

CT

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rjquillin wrote:Nor did I really think so.
It's what I get when skimming.
And hopefully some day we'll meet, I've just not been around long enough..



Onus was totally on me since I was being facetious around the topic of someone's death...

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:He still has a pretty good arm, doesn't he, even though he's older than I am. I didn't grow up with the Twins, but he was still one of my baseball heroes. One of the benefits of growing up as a pure baseball fan first and foremost, is the ability to enjoy greatness like that of Rod Carew or Tony Gwynn, regardless of what uniform they wore.


Definitely. I liked Tony Gwynn, but there were lots of other great players that I never really heard about being more of a hometown boy. Not sure how I knew about Gwynn though. My uncle and cousins were Cubs fans. To the point that my uncle was buried in his Cubs sweatshirt, and all the family wore Cubs shirts at the funeral. The man loved baseball, especially the Cubs.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:Onus was totally on me since I was being facetious around the topic of someone's death...


Though knowing you, you made your point well. It is the big city teams and their players that get the attention. The great players in the small cities are passed over, and are not well known. Especially a player like Gwynn that stayed with the team regardless. If he had jumped for more money when he could have, more of us may know of him. But we probably wouldn't like him as much.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:To be exceptionally clear, I meant absolutely no disrespect to Tony Gwynn.



Good. Cause I was getting ready to call Nallie out from retirement.

Tony played at LB Poly HS. My alma mater. Great human being, and totally repugnant they did not recognize him at the All-Star game.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
polarbear22 wrote:That is so wrong to me. They really should try to acknowledge the greats that passed in the previous year. Maybe all the HOF members or some objective criteria for "great". But to the casual fan like me, I am not aware of all the players that have passed. Names that I remember growing up with, etc.

Personally, I was excited when I saw a replay of Rod Carew throwing out the first pitch. I grew up with the Twins, so he was one of my baseball heroes.



Dad used to have season tickets to the Angels, so I remember watching him play for them.

And his 3,000 hit (before retirement) was against the Twins. So his first and last teams were involved.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Hey, 2012 tour-istas: Back when we were at WD & WineFarm's place for the mega get-together, WF asked if I would be the "Official" photographer for that evening. I am working on putting together an album on Shutterfly for that evening's festivities. I know many people by both their screen name and their real name. Is there anyone who would prefer NOT to have their real name listed? With luck, a hard copy will be available for this year's tour. Please check in with people who may not be checking the boards regularly for me. Thanks!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:Please check in with people who may not be checking the boards regularly for me. Thanks!

I wish you good luck with this, contacting peeps that is.

It will be great to see that gathering again; epic.

CT

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:I wish you good luck with this, contacting peeps that is.

It will be great to see that gathering again; epic.


I'm sure that I will need help identifying some of those on the newbie tour. Hopefully, ddeuddeg will remember some of them. Maybe chip & joelsisk will be able to help out, too.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:I'm sure that I will need help identifying some of those on the newbie tour. Hopefully, ddeuddeg will remember some of them. Maybe chip & joelsisk will be able to help out, too.

Sure, think I can identify most of the newbies. Also, IIRC kkv123 was the only person who had a problem with her name being used for online tour pics. Maybe she would be ok with a hard copy, though....

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

FOX and MLB's fish-like excuse for not giving a tribute to Tony Gwynn

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:FOX and MLB's fish-like excuse for not giving a tribute to Tony Gwynn

Thanks for posting this. Seriously lame excuse. Typical of the corporate sports broadcasters, looking at nothing but the bottom line until someone points out their shortcomings. Even the Oscars do a tribute to the entertainers who passed away during the previous year.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks for posting this. Seriously lame excuse. Typical of the corporate sports broadcasters, looking at nothing but the bottom line until someone points out their shortcomings. Even the Oscars do a tribute to the entertainers who passed away during the previous year.



Btw, didn't know you were much of a baseball fan. We are taking a trip to Toronto to see the Blue Jays, likely 8/22-8/25 (we see a new stadium every anniversary). Will you guys still be out West then (can't keep track of your crazy schedule)?

Not sure of any plans at all yet, but likely taking the states route one way, and the canadian route the other, so we will be driving through either at the beginning or end of the trip. Bison's are in town the whole time so if the cards aligned we could meet up and watch a game.

Initial intentions are to split time between Toronto and Niagra. Feel free to PM me with suggestions of things to do, places to go, dining suggestions, etc.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:Anyone get the Stillman PN yet? The tracking info said shipping info sent to FedEx June 30 (over 2 weeks ago), same time as the Scott Harvey, which arrived last Friday. Wellington, ordered later, also arrived last Friday. Stillman info originally said approximate delivery July 8th, now says simply N/A. Hoping it gets here before we leave for the tour.


My Stillman PN is on the truck for delivery today.

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks for posting this. Seriously lame excuse. Typical of the corporate sports broadcasters, looking at nothing but the bottom line until someone points out their shortcomings. Even the Oscars do a tribute to the entertainers who passed away during the previous year.

...and they always miss someone important but at least they make the effort

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:My Stillman PN is on the truck for delivery today.

Mine is now showing for tomorrow.
EDIT: It arrived in Syracuse at 3:30. So thrilled they sent it all the way to Syracuse before bringing it back here.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:Mine is now showing for tomorrow.
EDIT: It arrived in Syracuse at 3:30. So thrilled they sent it all the way to Syracuse before bringing it back here.



It's all logistics. Crazy, illogical logistics.

It's actually fun sometimes to see where packages travel to get here. I love it when a package goes east before it comes back west.


Edit: Just had something (Woot) go from Anaheim (OC) to City of Industry (LA) and then back down here to Carson (LA) before delivery.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's all logistics. Crazy, illogical logistics.

It's actually fun sometimes to see where packages travel to get here. I love it when a package goes east before it comes back west.


Edit: Just had something (Woot) go from Anaheim (OC) to City of Industry (LA) and then back down here to Carson (LA) before delivery.

Much nicer than a case of McClean Syrah that finally made it to San Diego Via Ohio.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Much nicer than a case of McClean Syrah that finally made it to San Diego Via Ohio.


They must have thought it said "Chip Green" on the package.

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:Initial intentions are to split time between Toronto and Niagra. Feel free to PM me with suggestions of things to do, places to go, dining suggestions, etc.



You want Toronto or Niagara suggestions, let me know. I'm from there, and we've met up with our Buffalo crew for many a Niagara winery as well.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
klezman wrote:You want Toronto or Niagara suggestions, let me know. I'm from there, and we've met up with our Buffalo crew for many a Niagara winery as well.



I'm open for any and all suggestions. Not sure if we will do much on the winery front (we were just there is January for the Ice Wine fest), but certainly looking for any recommendations in Toronto and the Falls area.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

WineSmith Cab Franc is up on the Plus sale side.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:WineSmith Cab Franc is up on the Plus sale side.

While it lasts. My bet is that it will be the first of those plus offers to sell out.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:I'm open for any and all suggestions. Not sure if we will do much on the winery front (we were just there is January for the Ice Wine fest), but certainly looking for any recommendations in Toronto and the Falls area.

PM for you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Here's something different: Gifts for wine lovers. If you can find something you need in this list, let me know. #6 looks totally cool, but 65 bucks?!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:WineSmith Cab Franc is up on the Plus sale side.



didn't we get a try of this at D&D?

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:didn't we get a try of this at D&D?

I thought we had the Jakes that was under-the-table.

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:didn't we get a try of this at D&D?



Don't forget today is the last day of Scott's 10th Anniversary sale. 1869 is up today.

Chipgreen put the link up again in the Deals thread for it.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:They must have thought it said "Chip Green" on the package.


PM 4 u.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't forget today is the last day of Scott's 10th Anniversary sale. 1869 is up today.

Chipgreen put the link up again in the Deals thread for it.



I am proud of myself... I had some restraint...and only ordered 6 bottles....but I wanted sooo many more....

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:I am proud of myself... I had some restraint...and only ordered 6 bottles....but I wanted sooo many more....



Inconceivable!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:didn't we get a try of this at D&D?



Which year? In 2013 the '06 WineSmith cf was under the table. This year there was a two Jakes Merlot and the '08 twojakes cf.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Inconceivable!!!



I know!!! I am in sooo much trouble.... I bought the Twisted offer the other day, then today's purchase...and .....I don't even know if I have a job in August......

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
trifecta wrote:Which year? In 2013 the '06 WineSmith cf was under the table. This year there was a two Jakes Merlot and the '08 twojakes cf.



thanks...you and RJ have better memories than me..... I really liked the 08 two jakes cf

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
mommadeb1 wrote:thanks...you and RJ have better memories than me..... I really liked the 08 two jakes cf



It is actually the same juice. Clark held some barrels back for longer aging. Its damn tasty

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:It is actually the same juice. Clark held some barrels back for longer aging. Its damn tasty

I thought there was some other minor differences as well, but can't remember what Mike said. Cooperage? Vineyard blending or fermentation. CRS.

CT