+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!!!

Edit: We're now going for a Monthly instead of a Weekly Pub!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 6th.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July
7/11: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...
7/19: SoCal #34 Irvine Wine Locker Raid

August
August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
August 9: SoCal #35: Housewarming at PSquishy's New Digs in Glendora, August 9th
August 23: NoVA #30: It's Pool Time Again - August 23rd

Summer
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:So, here's the last of it.

There was a barge for another show, Coronado, tied up just outside of us that was using an earlier generation of a firing system for a smaller network show that included eight or nine sights with a much smaller show. Largest product here was a six inch gun, where we had ten inchers.

Still synchronized music and product, but with a manual firing system where the operator listened to an audio track telling him/her sequential cue numbers; "ready X, fire, ready Y, fire" and such.
A few pics for comparison.

Their barge, with most all the racks set and product dropped, excepting their cakes.

At the far end you can see a plywood construction for their safe area to fire, below they are building it. We had ours within the steel shipping container; we also had 10" guns!

Closeup of their guns and strips to connect the E-match to light the bombs.

Note how spread out the connections are where we had compact boxes with 0Fx (16) connections, they had strips with 50 connections that are around 32 feet or so when stretched out. Makes wiring more 'interesting'. The interconnections are made with cables you may remember from older "key" telephones that had the buttons to select and put lines on hold. The cable is the old grey stuff that's ~1/2" diameter with the large 50 contact rectangular connectors on the end.

Here is our firing location with the two automated PD boxes:

Compared with their 400 shot probe system firing box, where you used the stylus to scratch each circle contact to fire the cue number upon audio cue.

Note this board allows for only 400 cues, where the digital system allows for 0FFFx (4095) cues.

A closeup of a 2.5" 36 shot cake with attached e-match.

and some of the debris left in the guns from earlier shows that needed to be cleaned out.

Lastly, the tug reading to pull us out.

I really should have taken some pics of the debris after the show, but at nearly 03:00, it just wasn't on my mind...

Thanks! It's cool seeing behind the scenes!

MarkDaSpark

So who's in? Game of Thrones Wines

“The reds are all associated with the houses that are head strong and robust. The whites on the other hand are more cunning, perceptive and mysterious,” said Jane Burhop of Common Ventures, the Australia-based agency behind the wines.

Sadly, none appear to be PS (looks to be 2 PN's, 1 Merlot, 1 Cab, and 2 Syrahs (or Shiraz as the Aussies put it) for the reds.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Any HVAC professionals in this group? I am replacing a central AC system. Contractor we like uses American Standard. Not familiar with them for central AC. Some of my research indicates they are made on the same assembly line as Trane, just go into different housing. Trane I am more familiar with. Any comments would be appreciated.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:Any HVAC professionals in this group? I am replacing a central AC system. Contractor we like uses American Standard. Not familiar with them for central AC. Some of my research indicates they are made on the same assembly line as Trane, just go into different housing. Trane I am more familiar with. Any comments would be appreciated.

Based on performance, warranty, availability and energy rebates, we installed a high SEER 5T Amana about five years ago. No issues.

I did x-post your question to my aviation group where there is an HVAC tech of many years that does a lot of Trane work.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20
polarbear22 wrote:Any HVAC professionals in this group? I am replacing a central AC system. Contractor we like uses American Standard. Not familiar with them for central AC. Some of my research indicates they are made on the same assembly line as Trane, just go into different housing. Trane I am more familiar with. Any comments would be appreciated.

People talk highly of trane however my experience with them has not been good.
First unit bought at wholesale and installed 3 years ago by a commercial installer and never works. It gets swapped for another unit that works, got a year and then the compressor dies. Warranty covers new compressor but not shipping or labor. Field labor and shipping end up costing more that original unit that I got.
So I'm not a fan.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:People talk highly of trane however my experience with them has not been good.
First unit bought at wholesale and installed 3 years ago by a commercial installer and never works. It gets swapped for another unit that works, got a year and then the compressor dies. Warranty covers new compressor but not shipping or labor. Field labor and shipping end up costing more that original unit that I got.
So I'm not a fan.

MarkDaSpark

Really? The 10th Anniversary isn't enough? Now we have ....

World of Wootcrap: Rise of the Clans????

Edit: Too bad WD won't be able to get us the Game Of Thrones wines in time! (link in post above!)

rjquillin

Question asked: If you were replacing a 5T central unit, what would be your manufacturer of choice?
Can you briefly comment on Trane vs. American Standard?

They are the exact same. Like a Chevrolet and GMC truck. If I was going to replace my 5 ton (and I am this fall) It would be the American Standard. Same unit for less money. They both use electronic expansion valve control.

Dewey

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rjquillin wrote:Question asked: If you were replacing a 5T central unit, what would be your manufacturer of choice?
Can you briefly comment on Trane vs. American Standard?

They are the exact same. Like a Chevrolet and GMC truck. If I was going to replace my 5 ton (and I am this fall) It would be the American Standard. Same unit for less money. They both use electronic expansion valve control.

Dewey

BTW If they want to put in a 5 ton system, get a second opinion. That sounds WAAAAAAAAY too large for your house in this climate...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

What the F is this?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
kylemittskus wrote:What the F is this?

seriously, makes reading a confusing, royal PITA.

Hey, Bowtie - you friends with this judge? He seems right up your alley. And Nebraska can't be that big, right?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:What the F is this?

It's woot, if it ain't broke, BREAK IT. seriously, this is (Stop that. It is not.) and may lead to me just not being here anymore. It's that bad.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

mother wrote:BTW If they want to put in a 5 ton system, get a second opinion. That sounds WAAAAAAAAY too large for your house in this climate...

My question was hypothetical so there at least was a basis for comparison.

When we did ours ~ 4-5 years ago, we pulled a 5T and replaced with same. If I could have gone larger, economically, I would have. House, 2400 ft2, built in 1990 with decent insulation; R35 I think in the attic and not sure about the walls. When It gets hot, say ~40, it struggles to maintain a 15C delta.

CT

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:seriously, makes reading a confusing, royal PITA.

Hey, Bowtie - you friends with this judge? He seems right up your alley. And Nebraska can't be that big, right?

Well, it's a little bigger than Rhode Island...

But no, don't know him, but I like him.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

Lol, this is horrible. Well played woot! This is why I love you.

CT

polarbear22

mother wrote:BTW If they want to put in a 5 ton system, get a second opinion. That sounds WAAAAAAAAY too large for your house in this climate...

As RJ said, that was a hypo. I have a dual system. One up and one down. The upstairs is larger, and the one that failed. SWMBO said that both sales guys said it was 2.5 ton. Quote listed 30,000 BTU, but I asked for tonnage before my wife told me. Down would be 2.0 tons then. Smaller sq footage down with the bonus room upstairs. Old system was fine for the first 14 years.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
bhodilee wrote:It's woot, if it ain't broke, BREAK IT. seriously, this is (Stop that. It is not.) and may lead to me just not being here anymore. It's that bad.

Thank goodness, I thought something went wrong with my computer.

Stop it Woot!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Really? The 10th Anniversary isn't enough? Now we have ....

World of Wootcrap: Rise of the Clans????

Edit: Too bad WD won't be able to get us the Game Of Thrones wines in time! (link in post above!)

So glad that people read my posts.

IF you had read the link to TT's thread, Woot! is assigning us to Clans for Friday's festivities.

Evidently, to make it easier to see which clan you are in, besides the symbol next to our post info, they decided to change the color of our posts. As if it wasn't already convoluted enough!

MarkDaSpark

Hey TT! How about letting us know what the symbols for the clans are?

On the thread, it seems cat/owl or sperm/squirrel are the two unknowns. The fish/koi are obvious.

Edit: Really? This is more important than a quick fix of adding the Gatherings Tab to the list at the bottom??

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hey TT! How about letting us know what the symbols for the clans are?

On the thread, it seems cat/owl or sperm/squirrel are the two unknowns. The fish/koi are obvious.

Edit: Really? This is more important than a quick fix of adding the Gatherings Tab to the list at the bottom??

Kinda like the current admin; it needs to fit their agenda to get attention.
Timestamps also lose out.
And search.

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Kinda like the current admin; it needs to fit their agenda to get attention.
And search.

"Are you a mighty Squarryl, drawing strength and sustenance from the middle-lands? Or a valiant V'owl that soars above the mountain high-lands? Or perhaps you're a stalwart Betta Koi, standing firm against those who would pit their wit against yours?"

" And gird your loins for the combat that will inevitably begin at about 11am (Central) on July 11th. For when the battle begins, all loins shall be at risk, and only the most-girded shall arise victoriously!"

So all us mighty Squarryls must gird our loins (you said loins!) against the untrustworthy V'Owls and the slimy Koi!

All hail the mighty Squarryls!!

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

This is f'n terrible...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:Kinda like the current admin; it needs to fit their agenda to get attention.
And search.

You're just jealous because you're a cat/owl thing.

polarbear22

Fishes unite!!

I know I have cortot and bahwm with me. And have seen scarce little blue in the places I frequent.

Been too many years since I was a gamer. Makes me think - blue=puddle=from where?

EDIT: Oh, and from old Pub, I am joined with InFrom, MommaDeb and JoatMon. (Beware the mighty JoatMon.) We may appear to be a small group, but I am in great company.

My Cellar

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:You're just jealous because you're a cat/owl thing.

If I knew what it meant, perhaps I could agree. For me, it's just, for now, an annoyance/distraction.
Are there only three?
Looks like I may need to embrace VDDD with Kyle.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:Fishes unite!!

I know I have cortot and bahwm with me. And have seen scarce little blue in the places I frequent.

Been too many years since I was a gamer. Makes me think - blue=puddle=from where?

EDIT: Oh, and from old Pub, I am joined with InFrom, MommaDeb and JoatMon. (Beware the mighty JoatMon.) We may appear to be a small group, but I am in great company.

😜

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:If I knew what it meant, perhaps I could agree. For me, it's just, for now, an annoyance/distraction.
Are there only three?
Looks like I may need to embrace VDDD with Kyle.

Oh, this BS definitely came from some eel barrels and moon-power seances. And Sparky's joined 'em!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:So glad that people read my posts.

IF you had read the link to TT's thread, Woot! is assigning us to Clans for Friday's festivities.

Evidently, to make it easier to see which clan you are in, besides the symbol next to our post info, they decided to change the color of our posts. As if it wasn't already convoluted enough!

How long is this poopy going to last is all I want to know. I don't even think I'll lurk until it's over.

MarkDaSpark

Yes, full of you know what!!!

For all who wish to know, if you go to World of WootCrap thread, you will find three links for the three clans to post (and only for them to post).

And I would imagine this World of WootCrap will last until the Anniversary partay is over, and the 10,000 Babies on Cribs#39;s are our booty!

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:How long is this poopy going to last is all I want to know. I don't even think I'll lurk until it's over.

But we need our Court Jester!! Drink lots o' Saké til it's done, oh mighty one!

bahwm

Awesome downpour with thunderstorm while in the tuna can in Denver!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

bahwm wrote:Awesome downpour with thunderstorm while in the tuna can in Denver! I could swim down the road!

Oops! Meant to hit edit!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Squirrels will take over the world. Sparky will provide all the wine

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman

This is terrible. Just give me a bag o stuff or a free TV already and move along.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:This is terrible. Just give me a bag o stuff or a free TV already and move along.

Well, be ready at 11 am CT ... for the Squarryls to dominate!!!

All your Babies on Cribs belong to us!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'll check back next week when my eyes don't hurt.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

These colors are making me dizzy. What's it for again?

"The older I get the better I was"