tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

So this question is to all of you that have actually tried any of your Wellingtons

I have tried a bunch of the Victory's, Syrahs, less of the Zins and Cabs but the one bottle that really stood way above all the rest was the 04 Grenache we tried at Cortot's, that bottle was perfectly balanced gourgous and still fresh IMHO.

I would love to know what vineyard those grapes came from...So what is your favorite bottle and why??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:So this question is to all of you that have actually tried any of your Wellingtons

I have tried a bunch of the Victory's, Syrahs, less of the Zins and Cabs but the one bottle that really stood way above all the rest was the 04 Grenache we tried at Cortot's, that bottle was perfectly balanced gourgous and still fresh IMHO.

I would love to know what vineyard those grapes came from...So what is your favorite bottle and why??



I was a part of the wine club for several years and buy wellingtons whenever they appear here if i have space. The lower end reds that he makes are really good at woot price points and I don't hesitate to open them soon after I get them.

My personal favorites are his Grenache (which never gets offered here) his noir de noirs and his 06' victory. I preferred it to the 05' and it's the only two vintages I have tried.

The Grenache is simply delicious young but as we saw it ages really well. Far better than I was expecting. It's nicely balanced and has the acidity that is often missing in new world grenaches. The 04 and 05 we had were from the Wellington library and were offered to me at steep discount to be included in the tasting.

His noir de noirs is a huge wine that also somehow boasts enough acidity to remain balanced and over the top delicious.

The 06' victory decanted for about 45 min with a big slab of a ribeye was one of those eye opening moments for those at the table with me. This bottle is aging beautifully and I am treasuring the two I have left.

And as a bonus his 06' estate Syrah was really really good. Later vintages have not lived up to this. It was the first time I came across the blueberry and bacon fat combo that you get in really good syrahs.

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:I was a part of the wine club for several years and buy wellingtons whenever they appear here if i have space. The lower end reds that he makes are really good at woot price points and I don't hesitate to open them soon after I get them.

My personal favorites are his Grenache (which never gets offered here) his noir de noirs and his 06' victory. I preferred it to the 05' and it's the only two vintages I have tried.

The Grenache is simply delicious young but as we saw it ages really well. Far better than I was expecting. It's nicely balanced and has the acidity that is often missing in new world grenaches. The 04 and 05 we had were from the Wellington library and were offered to me at steep discount to be included in the tasting.

His noir de noirs is a huge wine that also somehow boasts enough acidity to remain balanced and over the top delicious.

The 06' victory decanted for about 45 min with a big slab of a ribeye was one of those eye opening moments for those at the table with me. This bottle is aging beautifully and I am treasuring the two I have left.

And as a bonus his 06' estate Syrah was really really good. Later vintages have not lived up to this. It was the first time I came across the blueberry and bacon fat combo that you get in really good syrahs.



So you say the 06 Victory was your favorite?? You're only allowed to pick 1 tough I know...

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:So you say the 06 Victory was your favorite?? You're only allowed to pick 1 tough I know...



I think as a complete wine, yes.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Whatever Grenache was included in the mystery pack forever ago.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

The '03 Syrah Cuvee R was also fantastic.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Whatever Wellington I'm drinking at the moment. Tonight it was a 2005 Meeks Hilltop Ranch Zinfandel. This one has aged so gracefully, with none of the raisiny character some (though not I) find objectionable. Soft and smooth, full of luscious fruit, not a hint of heat, despite the 15.6% ABV.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2003 Cab, Handal vineyard

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

D-dog stole my answer

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
chipgreen wrote:D-dog stole my answer



Nope that is a fanboy answer (no offense intended) time to stir the pot...so you must pick one...or are you saying someone anyone?? Really with all the Wellington bought here only 4 answers?? Or does everybody just buy and not drink I'm outta here..

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
tytiger58 wrote:Nope that is a fanboy answer (no offense intended) time to stir the pot...so you must pick one...or are you saying someone anyone?? Really with all the Wellington bought here only 4 answers?? Or does everybody just buy and not drink I'm outta here..

OK, I'll have to go with the 2003 Old Vines Port. Never had any of his Grenache or quite likely I would be in line with that answer. OTOH, I've only purchased a few of his Syrahs and don't think I've had one of those yet either. Nor have I tried the Victory. The Cabs I tried were very good but didn't knock my socks off. Haven't popped the cork on Merlot or Cab Franc yet. I really enjoyed his Estate Zin but forget which vintage it was, so 2003 Port it is!

Guess I do need to start drinking more of my Wellingtons....

klezman


quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

It's a bit of a cop-out, but the double-mag of 1995 Syrah Peter opened at the farewell dinner of the 2010 Tour. Second best was the 1994 Victory in magnum opened the same night.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

No copout, he made it you drank it and loved it..well done

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

May have to change my reply to his White Port. I love that wine, and I have not had any other white port that comes close. So this wine is a standout. I love his reds, but there are wines that can stand alongside those.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

merbill


quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:It's a bit of a cop-out, but the double-mag of 1995 Syrah Peter opened at the farewell dinner of the 2010 Tour. Second best was the 1994 Victory in magnum opened the same night.



Totally agree with this.

polarbear22 wrote:May have to change my reply to his White Port. I love that wine, and I have not had any other white port that comes close. So this wine is a standout. I love his reds, but there are wines that can stand alongside those.



Agree with this too, although the Alegria Syrah is still #1.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

bolligra


quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

2006 Cab Handal-Denier, also really like the 2007 Merlot. And just tasted (and bought) the white port last week...outstanding!


As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

loveladyelectric


quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

2005 Victory and 2006 Estate Syrah were awesome. Everything else has been good but not as great.

EDIT: Someone give me some Grenache.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
tytiger58 wrote:So this question is to all of you that have actually tried any of your Wellingtons

I have tried a bunch of the Victory's, Syrahs, less of the Zins and Cabs but the one bottle that really stood way above all the rest was the 04 Grenache we tried at Cortot's, that bottle was perfectly balanced gourgous and still fresh IMHO.

I would love to know what vineyard those grapes came from...So what is your favorite bottle and why??




our Grenache is 100% estate grown, a quarter to a third from ancient vines, including tiny amounts of ancient vine Mourvedre and Tempranillo.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
SonomaBouliste wrote:our Grenache is 100% estate grown, a quarter to a third from ancient vines, including tiny amounts of ancient vine Mourvedre and Tempranillo.

Welcome back. How was the RRV camping trip?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

justplainjulie


quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie
trifecta wrote:2003 Cab, Handal vineyard



I would second this. Definitely one that stands out.

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
SonomaBouliste wrote:our Grenache is 100% estate grown, a quarter to a third from ancient vines, including tiny amounts of ancient vine Mourvedre and Tempranillo.



Hmmm I don't see any Grenache on the website are you still making it? I would love to buy some.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




cortot20


quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:Hmmm I don't see any Grenache on the website are you still making it? I would love to buy some.



Call Toby at the winery, the current vintage is 09'. Tell him you are a wooter and I'm sure he will give you a deal.

CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:Call Toby at the winery, the current vintage is 09'. Tell him you are a wooter and I'm sure he will give you a deal.


Thanks Cortot I will do that..great stuff!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




strongry


quality posts: 2 Private Messages strongry
polarbear22 wrote:May have to change my reply to his White Port. I love that wine, and I have not had any other white port that comes close. So this wine is a standout. I love his reds, but there are wines that can stand alongside those.



Yes, this was my and my wife's surprise favorite when we visited Wellington. It was a standout in general, particularly for the style.

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Just opened an 09 Syrah and it is outstanding,

webdev511


quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Blended by Wellington, but the label is Diner-Handle 2009 PS. Oh My Failing Grades! that stuff is sooo delicious that I think I bought two of the 90 cases produced. yum!

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

Just realized that when I bought a mixed case at Wellington on the RPM tour I forgot to ask about Grenache.

Cesare


quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare
chipgreen wrote:Just realized that when I bought a mixed case at Wellington on the RPM tour I forgot to ask about Grenache.


Don't worry, I asked and they didn't have any.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber